Topic: new to the forum newbie with a used SD4

So i purchased a used SD4 and it came with a ed3 v6 un assembled. its missing parts unfortunately. I would like some help on sourcing replacement parts of a better upgrade for the hot end. any and all tips tricks hints or hacks are very much appreciated. thank you in advance for your help.

rest easy in your beds.... as rough men are ready to do violence on your behalf.

totally modified SD4 lawsy carriages e3d V6 and rumba

Re: new to the forum newbie with a used SD4

What parts are you missing?  An SD4 running a genuine E3d V6 has the potential to be a great machine.  Welcome to the forum

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

http://soliforum.com/i/?rF7PNLr.jpg

this is all i have if t

rest easy in your beds.... as rough men are ready to do violence on your behalf.

looks like I'm missing all the boudine tubing and fittings the thermister the flex cover and I'm not sure what else

I can’t see in the bag but it looks complete if the thermistor is there.  I think you are confused a bit.  You are maybe thinking it should come with a carriage (the part that holds it on the printer).
https://www.printitindustries.com/colle … 6-extruder

Also it would be worth your time to check out http://www.soliwiki.com/E3D_extruder

Actually there’s a lot of good stuff in the wiki.  An SD4 is basically an SD3 with a cover so all SD3 information is pertinent.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

I can see the tubing, on a direct drive you only use a very small piece.

In fact I can see everything in that picture except the thermistor.  It’s probably there, just can’t see it in the picture.

Thermistor and one Bowden fitting are the only things I can’t see.  All things that are easily obtained from www.filastruder.com

I run an SD4 with an E3Dv6, and get great results.  I've also got a Calidum heated bed from PrintItIndustries.

Do you have the stock power supply, or an upgraded one?

Does it have the original Printrboard motherboard, or something else?  Do you know if the firmware has been flashed to accommodate the E3Dv6?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but these are important factors on your path to success!

-Kevin

10 (edited by maxxsmoke 2019-01-29 11:50:29)

no as far as I can tell its bone stock nothings has been done. the new head has not been installed just came with it. I would like to make this a solid workhorse so and and all ideas or upgrades are welcome.

11 (edited by heartless 2019-01-29 16:19:07)

maxxsmoke wrote:

no as far as I can tell its bone stock nothings has been done. the new head has not been installed just came with it. I would like to make this a solid workhorse so and and all ideas or upgrades are welcome.

you have come to the right place. smile

the SD4 can be made into a very solid workhorse.. I have 3 of them..
the first one I got in early 2015 and it is still going strong (my favorite of the 3)

the absolute first thing you will want to do is make sure everything is operational and you can connect to the printer.

You will need the driver for the printer that provides the USB/COM port connection. If you were not provided a copy of this driver, we can help you out with that - just ask. You will need to install the driver before doing anything else.

you will need a USB cable to connect the printer to your computer. Once connected, I highly recommend changing the COM port number to something much higher so it does not get "stolen" by another device.

You will want to download Repetier Host - this program allows you to communicate with the printer and also provides a couple of slicer options for slicing models to print (after doing some configuration).
https://www.repetier.com/download-now/

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

heartless wrote:
maxxsmoke wrote:

you have come to the right place. smile

the SD4 can be made into a very solid workhorse.. I have 3 of them..
the first one I got in early 2015 and it is still going strong (my favorite of the 3)

the absolute first thing you will want to do is make sure everything is operational and you can connect to the printer.

You will need the driver for the printer that provides the USB/COM port connection. If you were not provided a copy of this driver, we can help you out with that - just ask. You will need to install the driver before doing anything else.

you will need a USB cable to connect the printer to your computer. Once connected, I highly recommend changing the COM port number to something much higher so it does not get "stolen" by another device.

You will want to download Repetier Host - this program allows you to communicate with the printer and also provides a couple of slicer options for slicing models to print (after doing some configuration).
https://www.repetier.com/download-now/

+1 what Heartless said.  I have three friends who run bone-stock SD4's, and are completely satisfied with their printing performance.  Mine has been upgraded a bit, since I print more 'exotic' materials than just PLA and ABS.

You may consider just getting the stock machine running first, and learn a bit more about 3D printing.  Then you'll be better informed when it comes to modifications and upgrades.  That E3Dv6 is definitely on the to-do list.  Some 'mods' on early-production SD4's are stock configuration on late-production ones.  Photos would help us help you.

-Kevin

no as far as I can tell its bone stock  … e welcome.

May i suggest you run it as is to lean the machine also gives you time to inventory what you need to upgrade.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

you guys are right one point so first things first i downloaded the soliprint 1.3 i cant seem to get the z axis cal to let me enter the best one. its prints but everything is grayed out. should i just start with the link heartless suggested ?

15 (edited by heartless 2019-01-29 23:54:29)

maxxsmoke wrote:

you guys are right one point so first things first i downloaded the soliprint 1.3 i cant seem to get the z axis cal to let me enter the best one. its prints but everything is grayed out. should i just start with the link heartless suggested ?

No - do not waste time with Soliprint - that was meant for newer models.

Stick with Repetier Host for now (see link in my post above) you will have FAR more control over your printer with RH than with Soliprint

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

YES USE RH
Manual mode to check end stops calibrate motor steps etc. also make sure belts are tight and x gantry square etc.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

17 (edited by maxxsmoke 2019-01-30 00:09:44)

ok its loaded I have no idea if the bed is leveled i believe is is not. i have no idea what to do next. i have downloaded a stl from thingiverse and trying a print wish me luck

do not even think about printing a file until you level the bed etc

lol, the excitement is building in this one, Tin.. can't you feel it? wink

yeah, need to perform a few calibrations before you really try to print something.
But, hey, I was in your shoes once, long time ago...

I am going to provide you with a couple of links to good calibration info.. all of it was gathered from the users here, way back when I started out over several months.. I put it all together into what I hope is an easy to understand and follow guide for new users. Should hopefully save you a few weeks of head-scratching and hair-pulling.

One thing of special note with a Solidoodle - they do not use metric Z screws, so the "standard" layer heights do not work very well
use these instead...

there is one other one, but i have never used it..

ok, the links I spoke of...

Calibration - Part 1
Calibration - Part 2

Make sure your belts are snug, and the bed is "level" - meaning the same distance between the nozzle and the bed at all points around the bed. (This is not about using a bubble level for perfectly horizontal)
You want the distance between the nozzle & the bed to be quite close, about the thickness of a piece of standard copy paper

ok your right printing was a bad idea. on to your links I will be more patient

21 (edited by Tin Falcon 2019-01-30 02:02:45)

the ideal tool is a feeler gauge .002 or .003 inches but a piece of paper will do.
or a strip of Aluminum beverage can should be about 0.004 in or 0.097mm

the excitement is building in this one, Tin.. can't you feel it?

OH YES !!!!

22 (edited by heartless 2019-01-30 02:50:59)

maxxsmoke wrote:

ok your right printing was a bad idea. on to your links I will be more patient

LOL, patience is a virtue, or so they tell me.. over and over again. big_smile

to give you an idea.. the thing on the far left was my first attempt at printing, lol

http://soliforum.com/i/?WkDvqMf.jpg

Tin Falcon wrote:

the ideal tool is a feeler gauge .002 or .003 inches but a piece of paper will do.
or a strip of Aluminum beverage can should be about 0.004 in or 0.097mm

i have never used a feeler gauge, or aluminum.. just paper.. never really had an issue with it.
it does take a little practice to get it just right, tho.. you want just a tiny bit of drag on that piece of paper as you slide it under the nozzle.. not too much, not too little..

We are dinosaurs! The age of the feeler gauges in 3D printing are almost all but a distant memory for anyone purchasing a new printer.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

2n2r5 wrote:

We are dinosaurs! The age of the feeler gauges in 3D printing are almost all but a distant memory for anyone purchasing a new printer.

I will admit to being a dinosaur, LOL

have no desire - or need - to add any of those fancy schmancy "bed leveling" do-dads to my SD4s.

25 (edited by maxxsmoke 2019-01-30 03:20:00)

the repitier host wont connect it says access denied com port 6 which is where its hooked to