1 (edited by tossrock 2019-01-27 05:33:18)

Topic: Da Vinci Jr 1.0 stops feeding filament randomly?

Hey guys, I'm having an issue with an old Da Vinci Jr - partway through the print, the filament stops feeding and the the hot end just coughs up sad little specks. If I manually push the filament through the drive gears and then re-engage the spring, it will continue printing for a while, but eventually ends up stalling out again, usually pretty quickly.

I've done all the maintenance type stuff I can (cleaned the nozzle w/ the 0.3mm wire, disassembled the hot end and looked for jams, thoroughly cleaned the drive gears both with the little pipe cleaner thing and compressed air, unloaded and reloaded the filament, etc) and am out of ideas.

http://soliforum.com/i/?ZURbyj0.jpg

Anyone seen this before?

Re: Da Vinci Jr 1.0 stops feeding filament randomly?

sounds like the motor is stalling. can you manually extrude thought software. sounds like you have wiring or connection
issues.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Not sure how to manually extrude through software, I'm running stock XYZ firmware (2.2.7). Is there a method you recommend?

Could also be a temperature issue. Again related to bad wiring which XYZ is notorious for. But you heater wires could be bad or have a bad connection and your heater is dropping out during certain parts of the print. If you can monitor the temp, watch it and see if it drops.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I've put it in monitor mode and it stays at 200c the whole time. I do notice that the motor attached to the drive gears is quite hot, don't know if that's normal or not.

Just an FYI. I replaced the filament stepper motor in my JR very early on and it was one of the best tings I ever did.

Bozotclown1970 wrote:

Just an FYI. I replaced the filament stepper motor in my JR very early on and it was one of the best tings I ever did.

What did you replace it with? And how difficult was the process?

I've fully physically disassembled the stepper unit so I'm not too worried about that, but if I have to do some firmware hacking or like, rewire a PCB that would be pushing my abilities.

No, it was just a matter of buying a new one and wiring it up.

From the image, looks like combination of Nozzle to close to bed and nozzle temperature is not high enough. Filament absorb moisture will also raise the need for higher nozzle temperature.

Try miniMover for easier control of the printer.
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/17028/pr … minimaker/

Easiest test is to switch to other color filament that is unopened and requires lower printing temperature.(if you already have one)

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Bozotclown1970 wrote:

Where did you buy the new one? I don't see a replacement part on XYZ's site.

tossrock wrote:
Bozotclown1970 wrote:

Where did you buy the new one? I don't see a replacement part on XYZ's site.

It's a standard stepper motor, you just need one that has the same physical dimensions.

Can you recommend a supplier, or should I just go on eBay?

tossrock wrote:

I've put it in monitor mode and it stays at 200c the whole time. I do notice that the motor attached to the drive gears is quite hot, don't know if that's normal or not.

Are you using PLA or ABS? with ABS I run a bit hotter. Generally around 220 - 230. With PLA, 190 - 200.

If you are using ABS, crank those temps up to 225 or so and try again.

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

I'm using commodity PLA off Amazon with some reprogrammed NFC213 tags. Running it at 210-215 helps somewhat, but it's still experiencing the issue.

15 (edited by carl_m1968 2019-02-01 18:50:26)

210 to 215 is high for PLA. The Da Vinci printers don't have good cooling of the heatbreak in the hot end so the hotend does get heat creep which causes the filament in the tube on the cool side of the heat break to swell. I would be trying to shoot for the lowest temp you can possibly print at to keep the heat creep at minimum or delayed.

I personally would not use PLA in an XYZ machine. They never designed them for that filament. They are designed better for ABS as ABS is not so prone to swelling.

Hi guys,

I have managed to get the NFC tags working but I am having issues with the filament I am trying to use. 

I went for a grey PLA (https://www.amazon.co.uk/GEEETECH-Filam … amp;sr=1-6) but its not printing.  I have tried 190c, 200c and 210c for the temperature but still no good. I can't understand why its not working so any help you can offer would be appreciated.

I used reelTool on my android for the NFC write.

slyboy76 wrote:

Hi guys,

I have managed to get the NFC tags working but I am having issues with the filament I am trying to use. 

I went for a grey PLA (https://www.amazon.co.uk/GEEETECH-Filam … amp;sr=1-6) but its not printing.  I have tried 190c, 200c and 210c for the temperature but still no good. I can't understand why its not working so any help you can offer would be appreciated.

I used reelTool on my android for the NFC write.

Some PLA requires as high as 220 or 225. This is due to the fact that the reported temp you are seeing on the machine is higher than what is actually at the melt zone in the nozzle. XYZ PLA is not true PLA. IS formulated to melt at a lower temp than normal 3rd party PLA.