1 (edited by evanboothe 2019-01-17 04:15:04)

Topic: Quality DIY Printer frames?

Curious if there is a highly suggested printer frame kit that comes with no electronics or maybe just stepper motors.. I’m looking to buy another printer but was curious if there is a good frame kit that I could just buy and then build it the way I wanted instead of buying a printer that’s is ready to go out of the box and changing fireware, extruder.. etc.. if I could just get a solid nice frame with adequate belts, motors.. that would be pretty cool. Shoot me some options or opinions! Thanks.

I would probably run another Azteeg board with smoothieware and a e3d v6. I only print PETG and TPU

Da Vinci 1.0 Azteeg x5 mini WiFi running Smoothieware, e3d v6.

Re: Quality DIY Printer frames?

you can look at vention.io to build a frame. most people just design thier frame and buy the components they need like alum. extrusions.My custom print I designed the frame around the scrap material I had on hand

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

there are a number of kits on e bay, quality ????

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

not aware of any "frame only" kits...

that said, the price of a decent complete kit is such that I would not hesitate to buy a full kit, then simply replace the controller board with whatever you want.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

They do have frame only kits on ebay, but they are usually cheap acrylic Prusa knockoffs and I refuse to own or build a machine based on an acrylic frame. They are just garbage and a tragedy waiting to happen. Just tighten one screw a hair too tight and it cracks. Not to mention the parts that will be broken during shipping.

I would stick with the suggestion Heartless made and just get a full kit for under $500 then swap out the parts you want.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

What do you guys suggest for a decent kit under 500 if I go that route.

evanboothe wrote:

What do you guys suggest for a decent kit under 500 if I go that route.

Folgertech makes several kits under $500... and one rather large one right at that mark..

https://folgertech.com/collections/3d-printer-full-kits

i have built 3 of their kit machines, and while not perfect, they are a good starting point.
the kits I have built are:

2020 Prusa I3 - $269.99
Kossel 2020 Rev B - $325.99
FT-5 - R1 - $499.00

of those 3 I have only kept the FT-5.. the other 2 were sold or traded off

Completely agree with Carl.. stay FAR away from any acrylic kits.. not worth the headaches.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

8 (edited by Tin Falcon 2019-01-24 00:31:30)

stay away from acrylic kits
any of the kits  based on 20 20 from Folger tech will work.
I built the I3 kit and get good prints from it. It  does kinda need some frame bracing but no big deal
i also built a ft5  aslo a capable printer and i thought about a kossel kit but decided on an mono price ultimate instead.
I would suggest browsing through the folger forum and reading the successes and struggles  of others . But do not gtt bogged down by others experiences . take inventory or your own skills and make your own experience.  do your own research / homework  ultimatly you need to decide what is right for you

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Tin Falcon wrote:

....ultimately you need to decide what is right for you

That, right there... ^^

https://www.ebay.com/p/Hypercube-3d-Pri … amp;chn=ps

you can purchase t slot material and hardware from Mc Maser car and others . And cut it with a miter saw made for wood make sure you use the proper blade and safety at all times.

http://www.ratrig.com/d-bot-3d-printer- … dized.html

the other disadvantage to your own design is you are more or less on your own as there is will be little community support.

There are many factors to consider here . I think all of us that have built a kit have considered a scratch build.

Just assembling the plans and parts takes a bit of engineering  and purchasing know how.  not to mention time.

Yes it can be done . and done right you will have your dream printer. Good quality usa made parts are available but will cost a bit more.  go too cheap and you will be buying replacement parts. I know something you are trying to avoid.
I know buying a kit and upgrading pars seems a bit counter intuitive.  But I think in the long run you will save lots of time and likely money. the parts you do not use keep for spares or anther project or offer for sale here.

Take a look at the rail core project (way out of your budget @ $1600- $1800 just for parts) and i think you will see what we mean. Plus the time to order the parts and shipping from many vendors.

How about making your own frame out of electrical conduit. It's cheap, readily available, and customizable. This guy has done most of the work and I have wanted to try building one of these for quite a while myself.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:102972

IMHO the frame is the relative easy part to build one can purchase  aluminum or steel angle and weld bolt or even rivet one together depending on skill experience and tool availability.
that is the beauty of 2020 or 3030 aluminium  hand tools and a good saw is all you need to assemble.
one still has to source or make things like rods /rails motion crews / and or belts motors  and the list goes on.  That is why we are suggesting kit.

The other possibility is there must be a fair number of abandoned or orphaned kits out there that people have purchases and lost interest in . this could be another option . this is not something i have researched . or a used 3d printer or two and use them as a base to build from.

justsomeguy wrote:

How about making your own frame out of electrical conduit. It's cheap, readily available, and customizable. This guy has done most of the work and I have wanted to try building one of these for quite a while myself.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:102972

you can do it that way if you like, but in the end, you will probably end up spending more buying the individual parts and pieces than you would purchasing a ready to go kit that includes everything needed to build it.

When you start looking at the bits & pieces, don't forget to include basic hardware - screws, nuts, washers, etc...
Printed parts will need to include the cost of the filament and the time & electricity to run a printer to produce them...

There are a lot of little things that can really add up that most people don't really consider when thinking about building one from scratch.

If you are serious about doing it, make a spreadsheet of all the materials needed & how many of each size, type, etc - conduit, screws, nuts, washers, electronics, wiring, so on & so forth.. then start looking at prices multiplied by how many of each item you will need... I think you will be surprised at the outcome.

14 (edited by justsomeguy 2019-01-21 04:21:03)

Well considered and useful advice as always Heartless!

I just thought the OP might find that project interesting. There is a BOM for the project and 3 completed makes.

With 4 FDM printers in my print room, I've got enough spare parts and leftovers to build another printer but no place to put it once built.

justsomeguy wrote:

Well considered and useful advice as always Heartless!

I just thought the OP might find that project interesting. There is a BOM for the project and 3 completed makes.

With 4 FDM printers in my print room, I've got enough spare parts and leftovers to build another printer but no place to put it once built.

yeah, i have plenty of bits & pieces here as well..
I have sold or traded off 2 of the kit printers, but the FT-5 remains.. have three of the Solidoodle 4s now, and the PrintIt Industries Horizon... for a total of 5 "functional" printers.. plus the carcass of an SD3 that was damaged in shipping, and most of the parts of another kossel kit that was a poor investment (don't buy cheap chinese crap!)

I need to do a bit of reorganizing to get the 3rd SD4 in the lineup, tho, so I can completely understand the lack of space.... one of these days.

This is indeed an expensive hobby, I have to buy a house with attic and basement in Boston area to fit all my printer.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

yizhou.he wrote:

This is indeed an expensive hobby, I have to buy a house with attic and basement in Boston area to fit all my printer.

Sorry, but you do not "have" to do anything.. you might choose to do so, but you do not have to.

Sell me the sd3 heartless?? Haha

19 (edited by heartless 2019-01-22 13:01:48)

evanboothe wrote:

Sell me the sd3 heartless?? Haha

LOL, it is nothing but a damaged frame at this point.. all the internal parts have been stripped out

it was pretty heavily dented in shipping.. destroyed the controller board, and but a nice dent in the rear & the corner closest to where the board was mounted... not worth trying to salvage at this point.

yizhou.he wrote:

You know there comes a time when you need to ask yourself if you have too many printers and why you need so many? If you need them to keep of with demand then you should just get what you need and make room for them. If you are getting them just to get them then you need to decide when enough is enough. Or sell the ones you have had experience with to make room for new ones you want to learn.

If you are doing this for a hobby then you really only need one or two at most. If you are doing it for a living then you will need many to make it profitable. Then you should consider renting a small building to put them in like many print farms do. If you are doing this for some extra income then you could probably get by with four or five units.

Then it come down to utilizing space efficiently. Get or make selves on one wall and put the printers on those shelves. On a six foot shelf you could put two to three printers easily. Then make the shelves from floor to ceiling with 3 foot spacing you could do three rows, possibly four if your machine are small format. So that is nine to twelve machines in a 6 by 10 area. Even a shelf that is 6 by 6 with two rows will hold 6 machines.

But then again it all comes down to what do you need, not what do you want.

21 (edited by Tin Falcon 2019-01-23 11:49:14)

This is indeed an expensive hobby, I have to buy a house with attic and basement in Boston area to fit all my printer

That is not a hobby that is an addiction .
Carl is correct with shelving  and power adapter one should be able to set up 10 to 20 printers in a single room.
And at $150 to get stated  IMHO this is not an expensive hobby.

I have no issue to fit these printer, but my baby girl learned to walk over the last year, and printer with touch screen is her favorite toy because machine beeps and change display when get touched at right spot. Also those printer with rotary encoder push button next to the display also fun to play with, MonoPrice V2 and Creality printer have similar design. She have paused my printer 10+ times but have not yet canceled a print so far, which is good news.

So put printer in living room/bed room is no longer an option, have to keep printer in basement and attic. Most of my printer are under $100, but shipping will cost $40+, really not worth of my time to list them on ebay and drive to post office at working hours.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

yizhou.he wrote:

I have no issue to fit these printer, but my baby girl learned to walk over the last year, and printer with touch screen is her favorite toy because machine beeps and change display when get touched at right spot. Also those printer with rotary encoder push button next to the display also fun to play with, MonoPrice V2 and Creality printer have similar design. She have paused my printer 10+ times but have not yet canceled a print so far, which is good news.

So put printer in living room/bed room is no longer an option, have to keep printer in basement and attic. Most of my printer are under $100, but shipping will cost $40+, really not worth of my time to list them on ebay and drive to post office at working hours.

Or maybe you be the good parent and start teaching your child to keep hands off of things that don't belong to them. Too many kids now days don't know this simple lesson. But then again I was raised by an older generation.

Where there is a will there is a way. You can have many printers in little space, it just depends on the amount of work you wish to contribute. The attic or basement would just be a waste since it cannot be temperature controlled unless they are finished attics or basements.

Even a machine with an enclosure would have a hard time in a cool damp basement and in the summer the heat would be murder on the electronics and motors in the attic.

Don't know how much I can teach under 2 years old what belong to her but I will try, lol.
The attics is finished and heated. Not printing in basement, too cold.

25 (edited by Tin Falcon 2019-01-24 00:30:05)

Or maybe you be the good parent and start teaching your child to keep hands off of things that don't belong to them.

+1

Don't know how much I can teach under 2 years old what belong to her but I will try, lol.

Not that difficult  but you do need to be smarter than the 2 year old LOL

You need to start when they are young not wait till the are 20.

We really do need to get back on topic.