Re: Da Vinci 1.0 Azteeg x5 WiFi Build

evanboothe wrote:

I had that gray IDC cable and I was told by you guys is was wrong am I supposed to be using that gray cable that came with it? It looks like in is direct plug and play

I told you to use the other cable because I was not aware you had the 1.1 or higher Azteeg. But now that we know the red trace on the grey cable is your guide. Just do it like the picture. The four pin should also be pin for pin but you can check the pin names on the viki versus the pin names on the Azteeg to make sure. Looks like in the pic the are just in the right side top 4 pins of the left header.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

77 (edited by evanboothe 2018-08-06 21:55:13)

Question in my config file I see it says panel .spi_channel has a 0 then says set spi chenn to use p0_18 p0_15 MOSI SLCK.... am I supposed to add in what pain I have MOSI on since it is set to 0??? Could this be the issue

Also I got rid of that gray cable so I am going to have to try and get ahold on panucatt

Da Vinci 1.0 Azteeg x5 mini WiFi running Smoothieware, e3d v6.

evanboothe wrote:

Question in my config file I see it says panel .spi_channel has a 0 then says set spi chenn to use p0_18 p0_15 MOSI SLCK.... am I supposed to add in what pain I have MOSI on since it is set to 0??? Could this be the issue

Also I got rid of that gray cable so I am going to have to try and get ahold on panucatt

I never changed mine from  0 and it worked.

carl_m1968 wrote:
evanboothe wrote:

I never changed mine from  0 and it worked.

alright I’ll have to try and get a new cable

80 (edited by evanboothe 2018-09-05 01:29:47)

Got my IDC cable in the mail today finally, same deal. Lights come on back light and lights on the knob of the viki but no words on the display... what am I missing. Below it says I need to “uncomment” the config settings what does it mean by that .

Viki2 wires to an Azteeg X5 mini with a flat cable as it has 1:1 pin mapping. The ConfigSample for the Azteeg mini has the config settings required, just uncomment them,

The config for Azteeg X5 is different to smoothieboard and is shown in the file https://github.com/Smoothieware/Smoothi … onfig#L178

81 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-09-05 18:26:14)

Quick question before we get into the rest of this post. Look at your board, there is a 3 pin header just below the Y stepper driver. It is marked INT USB. Do you have a jumper on that header and if so what position is it in? that header determines the power source for the logic. If the jumper is from center pin to USB side then the board will only power fully with USB connected and plugged into a PC. If the Jumper is shorting center pin to INT then the board will power fully with the main power supply. Note that USB will only power logic it does not supply enough power to heat or drive motors. The mains supply still has to be connected and turned on. However if it is set to USB but no USB is connected then the board logic will not come up fully.

Ok, lets first get some things out of the way. This is a Panucatt board. That being said you should only be using files and information supplied by Panucatt. The only thing you are going to get from the Smoothie site are the drivers if needed, and the files linked from the Panucatt site. Ignore any other information given by Smoothie and their site and config files.

Now go to this page and use only information supplied in the links at the bottom of this page.

http://www.panucatt.com/azteeg_X5_mini_ … x5mini.htm

http://soliforum.com/i/?IAANQLh.jpg

In this list there are you need to confirm what version board you have in order to know which files you need. There is a version 1.0, 2.0, and 3.0. I assume yours is 2.0 or 3.0. There should be artwork on the board telling you which it is if you look at the board.

Based on the information supplied you should be using the configuration file for the 2.0 and the wiring guide for the 2.0 or maybe the 3.0 if yours is a 3.0 if yours has the onboard RJ45 for Ethernet.

If you look at a config file you will see many lines that have a # in front. These are called comments and the firmware ignores any line with # in front of it. If you move down to the section for displays you see these lines.

# Panel See http://smoothieware.org/panel
panel.enable                                 false             # set to true to enable the panel code

# Example viki2 config for an azteeg miniV2 with IDC cable
panel.lcd                                    viki2             # set type of panel
panel.spi_channel                            0                 # set spi channel to use P0_18,P0_15 MOSI,SCLK
panel.spi_cs_pin                             0.16              # set spi chip select
panel.encoder_a_pin                          3.25!^            # encoder pin
panel.encoder_b_pin                          3.26!^            # encoder pin
panel.click_button_pin                       2.11!^            # click button
panel.a0_pin                                 2.6               # st7565 needs an a0
#panel.contrast                              8                 # override contrast setting (default is 9)
#panel.encoder_resolution                    4                 # override number of clicks to move 1 item (default is 4)
#panel.button_pause_pin                      1.22^             # kill/pause set one of these for the auxilliary button on viki2
#panel.back_button_pin                       1.22!^            # back button recommended to use this on EXP1
panel.buzz_pin                               0.25              # pin for buzzer on EXP2
panel.red_led_pin                            2.8               # pin for red led on viki2 on EXP1
panel.blue_led_pin                           4.29              # pin for blue led on viki2 on EXP1
panel.external_sd                            false             # set to true to use external sd WARNING not supported.
panel.external_sd.spi_channel                0                 # set spi channel the sdcard is on
panel.external_sd.spi_cs_pin                 1.23              # set spi chip select for the sdcard
panel.external_sd.sdcd_pin                   1.31!^            # sd detect signal (set to nc if no sdcard detect)
panel.menu_offset                            1                 # some panels will need 1 here

# Example miniviki2 config
#panel.lcd                                    mini_viki2        # set type of panel
#panel.spi_channel                            0                 # set spi channel to use P0_18,P0_15 MOSI,SCLK
#panel.spi_cs_pin                             0.16              # set spi chip select
#panel.encoder_a_pin                          3.25!^            # encoder pin
#panel.encoder_b_pin                          3.26!^            # encoder pin
#panel.click_button_pin                       2.11!^            # click button
#panel.a0_pin                                 2.6               # st7565 needs an a0
##panel.contrast                               18                # override contrast setting (default is 18)
##panel.encoder_resolution                     2                 # override number of clicks to move 1 item (default is 2)
#panel.menu_offset                            1                 # here controls how sensitive the menu is. some panels will need 1

panel.alpha_jog_feedrate                     6000              # x jogging feedrate in mm/min
panel.beta_jog_feedrate                      6000              # y jogging feedrate in mm/min
panel.gamma_jog_feedrate                     200               # z jogging feedrate in mm/min

panel.hotend_temperature                     185               # temp to set hotend when preheat is selected
panel.bed_temperature                        60                # temp to set bed when preheat is selected

# Example of a custom menu entry, which will show up in the Custom entry.
# NOTE _ gets converted to space in the menu and commands, | is used to separate multiple commands
custom_menu.power_on.enable                true              #
custom_menu.power_on.name                  Power_on          #
custom_menu.power_on.command               M80               #

custom_menu.power_off.enable               true              #
custom_menu.power_off.name                 Power_off         #
custom_menu.power_off.command              M81               #

So the question is, are you using a VIKI 2 or a Mini Viki? I assume you are using a Viki 2. If that is the case the the config file as it is is all you need. You just need to set the following line to TRUE.

panel.enable                                 false             # set to true to enable the panel code

panel.enable                                  true             # set to true to enable the panel code

All edits you make to the config file needs to be done in Notepad and only Notepad to preserve the proper formatting. The file needs to be saved as config.txt. You can use other names for other versions or test version. The firmware only looks at the one called config.txt on the sdcard. So it will ignore a file called _config.txt or config1.txt.

If notice the section for the mini viki has # in front of all the lines. The firmware sees those as comments and ignores them. If you had a mini Viki instead of a viki 2 then you would remove the # from the mini viki section and add # to the viki2 sections. In sort any line in the config.txt file you do not want the firmware reading or that you want for your reference needs to have a # (hashmark) in front of it.

This tells the firmware to ignore these lines. Keep in mind anything without a # will be interpreted as an instruction so if the format is not right such as being a simple comment it could cause an issue. There are other symbols you will see in the instructions such as ! and ^ these can mark a pin as a pull up or pull down or active high or active low. Ignore this for now until we get the display working.

I think you did it already but please post your current config file as it is now or the sdcard so I can look over it once more please. Not the one you have on another location but the one that is on the sdcard that the firmware is trying to use.

82 (edited by evanboothe 2018-09-05 23:51:34)

Hey I got the display to work! I think I figured out what the issue was.. I had the file named Config.txt I manually was typing config.txt as the file name. I think the end result of that because of the .txt extension made the name config.txt.txt and the board wasn't using the file as a config file because it was named config.txt to the t like you said in your previous post..

Now that the display is working!!!!! What is the next best step for setup! How do I set of Home positions for the extruder, how do I start getting the steppers set up to physically move for the first time and so on.

evanboothe wrote:

Hey I got the display to work! I think I figured out what the issue was.. I had the file named Config.txt I manually was typing config.txt as the file name. I think the end result of that because of the .txt extension made the name config.txt.txt and the board wasn't using the file as a config file because it was named config.txt to the t like you said in your previous post..

Now that the display is working!!!!! What is the next best step for setup! How do I set of Home positions for the extruder, how do I start getting the steppers set up to physically move for the first time and so on.

With this config file you are going to find getting the motors to run, getting the to home, and getting the endstops to work ate all done as one step. You need to connect the printer to Pronterface or other host that allows you to step the motors or move them a few mm at a time. It also needs a command window where you can send commands like M119 to check end stop status. Endstops should all be connected to the min ports the system will count mm to the max position and won't move passed that.If an axis is not moving then the system thinks it has already reached that max limit so you will need to 0lay with the homing direction and home being an open or closed switch. When you start working on it you will see what I mean by it all being related. Just take your time, take notes, and most important work on only one axis at a time. Once you get one working the other two should use similar settings. The endstops and motor direction is where those pin modifiers are going to be used. Since you may need to change motor direction and endstops signals. Those modifiers are the ones I mentioned in my last post. You might want to read about them on the smoothie site.

84 (edited by evanboothe 2018-09-06 01:15:53)

I was messing around in host trying to move the motors a little at a time, as well as on the viki 2 under jog. It said they were moving but nothing was moving or making noice. Dumb question but I have my end stops not plugged in at all right now. Will this completely disable the motors from working?

Also how do you learn command names is there a list somewhere

Yes endstops must be connected. Google gcode commands and look at M commands. Are you sure your motors are wired correctly and did you install the jumpers under the steppers to control microstepping?

carl_m1968 wrote:

Yes endstops must be connected. Google gcode commands and look at M commands. Are you sure your motors are wired correctly and did you install the jumpers under the steppers to control microstepping?

yes I put the jumpers in for micro stepping, I’ll have to get the end stops connected I think I have them wired wrong that’s why I unplugged them , if you remember earlier the board wouldn’t even run a few pages back because of the end stops being plugged in. So either I have them wired wrong or

87 (edited by evanboothe 2018-09-06 02:44:44)

carl_m1968 wrote:

yes I put the jumpers in for micro stepping, I’ll have to get the end stops connected I think I have them wired wrong that’s why I unplugged them , if you remember earlier the board wouldn’t even run a few pages back because of the end stops being plugged in. So either I have them wired wrong.. are the end stops supposed to be NC or NO? Can we go over how to wire these end stops again just so I can double check them. http://soliforum.com/i/?fchUEji.jpg

88 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-09-06 11:57:33)

I actually have one of these exact endstops in front of me now. Mine was a bit cheaper as they left the LED off. Physically the endstops are NO. The wires you should be using are the signal wire which is green and the ground wire which is black. The red wire will not be used unless you want the LED on the endstop to light when it is active.

If you are using the harness that came with the endstop then the position of the GND and SIG wires will have to be swapped in the connector that plugs into the X5. On the X5 it is GND SIG V+. On that stock harness that came with the endstop it is SIG GND V+.

So from the Endstop the black wire should be where it is and it should go to the GND pin on the X5. The green wire should be where it is and it should go to the SIG pin of the X5. The if you want the LED to work the red wire should go to the V+ pin on the X5 at the endstop ports.

The board is looking for NO endstops as well. So this configuration is correct. No you may need to make firmware changes depending on homing direction and if the firmware see the endstop as open when open or closed when open as the firmware can invert the signal.

So this area below in the firmware is where the endstops are controlled.

# Endstops
endstops_enable                              true             # the endstop module is enabled by default and can be disabled here
#corexy_homing                               false            # set to true if homing on a hbot or corexy
alpha_min_endstop                            1.24^            # add a ! to invert if endstop is NO connected to ground
#alpha_max_endstop                           1.24^            #
alpha_homing_direction                       home_to_min      # or set to home_to_max and set alpha_max
alpha_min                                    0                # this gets loaded after homing when home_to_min is set
alpha_max                                    200              # this gets loaded after homing when home_to_max is set
beta_min_endstop                             1.26^            #
#beta_max_endstop                            1.26^            #
beta_homing_direction                        home_to_min      #
beta_min                                     0                #
beta_max                                     200              #
gamma_min_endstop                            1.28^            #
#gamma_max_endstop                           1.28^            #
gamma_homing_direction                       home_to_min      #
gamma_min                                    0                #
gamma_max                                    200              #

It gives you notes on the alpha endstop as to what the settings do and what you need to set depending on homing direction and endstop being min or max. In your case they should be MIN. So set as they are should be correct. You will also need to look at the section on controlling motors.

This section below is the relevant section.

# Stepper module pins ( ports, and pin numbers, appending "!" to the number will invert a pin )
alpha_step_pin                               2.1              # Pin for alpha stepper step signal
alpha_dir_pin                                0.11             # Pin for alpha stepper direction
alpha_en_pin                                 0.10            # Pin for alpha enable pin
alpha_current                                0.5              # X stepper motor current
x_axis_max_speed                             30000            # mm/min
alpha_max_rate                               30000.0          # mm/min actuator max speed

beta_step_pin                                2.2              # Pin for beta stepper step signal
beta_dir_pin                                 0.20             # Pin for beta stepper direction
beta_en_pin                                  0.19            # Pin for beta enable
beta_current                                 0.5              # Y stepper motor current
y_axis_max_speed                             30000            # mm/min
beta_max_rate                                30000.0          # mm/min actuator max speed

gamma_step_pin                               2.3              # Pin for gamma stepper step signal
gamma_dir_pin                                0.22             # Pin for gamma stepper direction
gamma_en_pin                                 0.21            # Pin for gamma enable
gamma_current                                0.5              # Z stepper motor current
z_axis_max_speed                             300              # mm/min
gamma_max_rate                               300.0            # mm/min actuator max speed

As you see in the notes adding a ! After the pin number will invert it. So for example if the Alpha motor is running the wrong way you can change the line

From

alpha_dir_pin                                0.11             # Pin for alpha stepper direction

To

alpha_dir_pin                                0.11!             # Pin for alpha stepper direction

This will make that motor run in the other direction. This assumes the motor wiring is correct of course.

Alpha = X
Beta = Y
Gamma = Z

This board can also be used on a Delta/ Kossell style printer and on those they do not use X, Y, and Z axis since all axis move up and down only on those. So they use Alpha, Beta, and Gamma instead.

“The board is looking for NO endstops as well. So this configuration is correct. No you may need to make firmware changes depending on homing direction and if the firmware see the endstop as open when open or closed when open as the firmware can invert the signal“

Okay to your above reply, can we go more in depth as to what and how I will know homing direction. I’m guessing homing direction we are talking about is homing the extruder and the axis’s moving to the right rear side of the machine which would be home. Also question on the motor lines you listed above, say I have the polarity wrong, you are saying all I will have to do is amend with ^ or ! To correct for the inverted polarity correct? Do any of the lines them selves need corrected if this is the case.

If you send a move command to a motor and it moves in the wrong direction then you need to add ! to the motor direction pin. If it does not move or sounds strange then your wiring could be wrong.

Keep in mind however for the Z axis up is actually down. The movement is in reference to your extruder, not the build plate. So if the build plate moves down the extruder is actually moving up.

As for my comment, that is in regards to Endstops wired as I specified. If the extruder is not home the switches are open. So when all axis are home all the endstops should be closed and show active. This is where the M119 command comes in as it shows you what the firmware is seeing in the home and not home positions.

You will also need to set the max for each endstop based on the max build dimensions of your printer. There is a post here that details converting a 1.0 to RAMPS like I did and I believe he details those settings for the MAX.

91 (edited by evanboothe 2018-09-06 16:31:13)

If you happen to find that thread with details to max settings that would be great.. so when the endstop is active it will be homed because the switch is depressed. Do I have to set a axis number at which that home position is? Or will it manually enter a number once the head it’s the end stop and activated the switch. Just a little nervous on how to figure out min and max values.

It’s not this link is it? http://www.techmonkeybusiness.com/frank … oller.html

http://soliforum.com/i/?Phf8z9v.jpg

So based on that snippet you posted your Endstop section should look like this.

# Endstops
endstops_enable                              true             # the endstop module is enabled by default and can be disabled here
#corexy_homing                               false            # set to true if homing on a hbot or corexy
alpha_min_endstop                            1.24^            # add a ! to invert if endstop is NO connected to ground
#alpha_max_endstop                           1.24^            #
alpha_homing_direction                       home_to_min      # or set to home_to_max and set alpha_max
alpha_min                                    0                # this gets loaded after homing when home_to_min is set
alpha_max                                    237             # this gets loaded after homing when home_to_max is set
beta_min_endstop                             1.26^            #
#beta_max_endstop                            1.26^            #
beta_homing_direction                        home_to_min      #
beta_min                                     0                #
beta_max                                     217              #
gamma_min_endstop                            1.28^            #
#gamma_max_endstop                           1.28^            #
gamma_homing_direction                       home_to_min      #
gamma_min                                    0                #
gamma_max                                    202              #

As for your other question. There are no writes to this file made by the machine. Everything is entered by you. When the Endstop switch is closed by the presence of the carriage or bed against it's switch the system knows this is the 0 position. What will happen then is when a move is called from the terminal or from g-code the machine will move that axis the requested distance and it will keep track of the distance as it moves back and fourth along each axis. If a call eve request a move beyond the MAX, it will move to the MAX and stop. This called a soft stop since there is no actual switch there.

The homing direction refers to the direction the axis needs to move to be at that endstop. If set to home_to min then it should move towards the zero position for that axis. If it is set for home_to_max it should move towards the 237, 217, or 202 of the respective axis.

for your machine home is Z at top, x at right and y at back. So right back corner for the 1.0. The reason a said use a host such as Pronterface or Repetier that allows you to make moves in 5, 10, 50, or 100 multiples is so you can move a few mm and see what direction is moves when you request each direction to assure proper direction is moved. This also avoids it going off on it's own relying on the endstop to stop it..

Once you assure correct movement and confirm using M119 that when none of the axis are home that it returns inactive for all axis and when you move them all to home by hand and send and M119 it returns all active then and only then can you tell the host to home all and see what happens. Just keep your hand on the power switch or plug in the event it over shoots or your offset for the bed is wrong for the Z height. Once you get movement correct and endstop behavior correct then you can move on to calibrating steps per mm on each axis to make sure when you ask for 20mm you actually get 20mm printed.

Your extruder motor also needs to be checked for correct direction as well. I just for that you will need to heat the machine and actually try to feed filament. That motor too will need to be calibrated for steps per mm. If you use 32 bit microstepping then you cam probably start with the numbers listed in the snippet to get in the ball park.

Say I requested to move y home, and it was in the wrong polarity what would happen if it over shot the max limit? Would it just keep trying to move until I powered off the machine? Or would it most likely break something.

94 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-09-06 20:53:43)

evanboothe wrote:

Say I requested to move y home, and it was in the wrong polarity what would happen if it over shot the max limit? Would it just keep trying to move until I powered off the machine? Or would it most likely break something.

It will just hit the physical limit and make the motor grind. It will not hurt anything as long as you don't let it sit in that condition for 5 minutes or more. It should also time out on its own after a few but you should never rely on that.

Again that's why during your adjusting and setting stage you only request small moves to confirm travel direction and you use M119 to confirm the endstops are functioning as expected. Don't send a home command till you assure everything is funcioning as expected by small test on all axis and stops.

If it does move passed a stop or soft stop it will sound much worse then what it is actually doing. All that is really happening is that the motors are are reaching their torque limit and releasing and just repeating over and over many times a second. If left in that condition it could over heat a driver but for a few moments it won't hurt anything.

95 (edited by evanboothe 2018-09-06 23:01:11)

Question do I need a extruder end stop? Where would you even place that?

I copied your above line changes and added them to my config file, went over my wiring on my end stops and went into Repetier Host. In the top right under manual control I typed in m119 while depressing one end stop switch just to see what result I got. The command came back and said.

18:50:57.647 : X_min:1 Y_min:1 Z_min:0 pins- (X)P1.24:1 (Y)P1.26:1 (Z)P1.28:0

Then I let go of the switch and typed the command again and got.

18:51:04.901 : X_min:1 Y_min:1 Z_min:1 pins- (X)P1.24:1 (Y)P1.26:1 (Z)P1.28:1

Now since I was depressing the Z axis end stop it changed to 0. Is that normal operation? And then when let off the switch it went to 1.

I next tried to move the axis's with the little arrows in Repetier Host and nothing happend. I saw the light turn red on the Azteeg probably meaning it recieved the command but it did not do anything motor wise.

96 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-09-06 23:17:09)

So what that tells us is that a closed switch is seen as open. 0 means open, 1 means closed. The other numbers are the pin numbers for your reference. Go back and add an ! at each of those end stop pins to invert it's operation. On the min endstops line take off the carrot by the pin number and put a ! in it's place. Then reset the board, connect it and M119 should give you the opposite. Right now it thinks all endstops are pressed so a move in the direction of an endstops will be ignored.

Extruders don't get endstops. Just XYZ axis.

97 (edited by evanboothe 2018-09-06 23:38:34)

carl_m1968 wrote:

So what that tells us is that a closed switch is seen as open. 0 means open, 1 means closed. The other numbers are the pin numbers for your reference. Go back and add an ! at each of those end stop pins to invert it's operation. On the min endstops line take off the carrot by the pin number and put a ! in it's place. Then reset the board, connect it and M119 should give you the opposite. Right now it thinks all endstops are pressed so a move in the direction of an endstops will be ignored.

Extruders don't get endstops. Just XYZ axis.

Add the ! To just the min endstop lines correct? Or do I change max endstop as well.

changed all min to ! instead of ^ left max with the ^. Still no movement 3 and 2 led on board blinking green back and forth and halt led flashing as well when command to move. got a line on repetier that says

19:35:30.450 : End file list
19:35:55.566 : ERROR: Homing cycle failed - check the max_travel settings

The max setting should be commented since you don't have max endstops. If commented it is ignored. When you move all the axis to home with power off, then power up and send M119 what do you get? When all axis not homed what do you get. Don't press a switch, actually but the axis in home position by hand. It's important to make sure the machine is actuating all the switches at home.

Homed:

19:56:57.539 : X_min:1 Y_min:1 Z_min:0 pins- (X)P1.24:1 (Y)P1.26:1 (Z)P1.28:0

Not homed:

19:57:17.102 : X_min:0 Y_min:0 Z_min:0 pins- (X)P1.24:0 (Y)P1.26:0 (Z)P1.28:0

I have my end stop mounted at the top of axis Z and I have my z axis all the way top the bottom of the printer. is that a issue? do i need it to be home for anything to work.

100 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-09-07 00:36:22)

Based on the M119 at home it is not seeing that switch close. Are the wires correct? Is the contact point on the bed frame actually pressing the switch? I did say home all axis by hand. That includes turning up the bed if needed.

If motor still does not move on any axis in any direction after confirmation of all homed. Then we will need to look at motor wiring and settings.what you need to do is get out the original board and see if the motor ports have the phase connections labeled and make sure they are connected the same way to the X5.