1 (edited by FarmerintheWoods 2018-05-04 09:20:43)

Topic: Folger FT-5 R2 Printer Head

I have a Folger FT-5 R2 on order and plan eventually to use Taulman's Bridge Nylon for most prints. It's a low-temp filament, but still prints 5 - 10 degrees above the temperature range of the OEM head.

I emailed Folger support about this issue roughly a week ago, and have gotten no response.

Is there a higher-temp print head out there that I can swap for the OEM Folger product? Would there be a problem mounting it during the original build rather than swap it out later?

2 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-05-04 10:22:23)

Re: Folger FT-5 R2 Printer Head

IMHO get a e3d titan aero combo  that is the route i went.
Get one of the 24 volt ones to match your board in the FT5v2
I purchased mine local well an hours drive But he will ship mail order as well
https://printedsolid.com/products/e3d-titan-aero

or you can order one here as well

https://www.filastruder.com/collection … ruder-aero

These are both reputable  genuine e3d dealers.
You will need a motor  but the one that comes with      the kit should do fine.   You will need to fabricate an approx 2mm spacer to get the gears to line up.
You will also have to tweak the firmware a bit.

As far as to build with the factory parts and swap later or just install the e3d it is your choice . The only real advantage is checking the folger parts but if they are just going to be spare. I just installed mine as part of the build.

Her is a link to my build  mine is the original ft5

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/14840/ne … er/page/2/
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

I thought FT used E3D clones? If that's the case it's just a matter of raising the MAX_TEMP in the firmware.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Nope it looks like this

Max Extruder Temp: 245C (can reach higher but will shorten the longevity of the extruder)

Post's attachments

FT5 etuder expoded.JPG
FT5 etuder expoded.JPG 45.36 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

Tin Falcon wrote:

Nope it looks like this

Max Extruder Temp: 245C (can reach higher but will shorten the longevity of the extruder)

Ah it looks the same as my MK10 on my CT'c dual and I print at 265 for PETG and have used it to 295 before.

6 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-05-05 00:01:56)

There is the option of a clone
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc … 4ff1NYpO0R

1) i am not recommending this product . Offering it for information only.
2) i have no experience with clones
3) I have never dealt with this supplier .
4) I have never dealt with ali express.

20 to 40 day lead time. savings aprox $40 over the genuine product.
So is it worth the risk that is for you to decide.

carl_m1968 wrote:
Tin Falcon wrote:

Nope it looks like this

Ah it looks the same as my MK10 on my CT'c dual and I print at 265 for PETG and have used it to 295 before.

The FT version will not support those kinds of temps, Carl - on ANY of their printers. 245C is max. This is why mine were upgraded to E3Ds.

I second getting an E3D (and please don't go with the clones, just not worth the gamble tbh - a genuine E3D just works, period, no BS)

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

8 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-05-05 11:01:05)

The FT version will not support those kinds of temps, Carl - on ANY of their printers. 245C is max. This is why mine were upgraded to E3Ds.

I second getting an E3D (and please don't go with the clones, just not worth the gamble tbh - a genuine E3D just works, period, no BS)

Agreed the OP will likely struggle with a couple of the parts that come with the kit or they may , hopefully have worked out the issues. Adding an additional batch of Chinese parts is risky at best. Pay the extra $ 40 USD and get a very reliable product.
The hot end is where the rubber hits the road so to speak not an area to go cheap.

Tin

Can I run the Folger OEM extruder and just add a steel nozzle?

NO !!!  a steel nozzle will not change anything to do with heat limitations.
The part that limits the heat is the heat break. The heat break on the FT is lined with ptfe aka teflon . this part screw into the heater block. so exceed the temp limit you melt the teflon and ruin the heat break.

It may be possible to re-tap the mounting block to 7mmm then install a an e3d heat break.
But as built an e3d heat break will not fit the ft5 mounting block.
FYI an E3D heat break is $ 18   

If the extra 110 dollars is bothering you just install the OEM extruder and use PLA or abs until you are really ready to try nylon.

Tin

I would forget nylon all together. There is no gain in it. You can't print with it in your home. The fumes it gives off are toxic if they reach a high enough concentration. To me it is just not worth the trouble. Abs fills nearly every need that nylon would.

Tin Falcon wrote:

There is the option of a clone
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc … 4ff1NYpO0R

1) i am not recommending this product . Offering it for information only.
2) i have no experience with clones
3) I have never dealt with this supplier .
4) I have never dealt with ali express.

20 to 40 day lead time. savings aprox $40 over the genuine product.
So is it worth the risk that is for you to decide.

1) E3D clone also available from amazon. It cost slightly more than aliexpress but return or exchange are lot easier. The shipping speed is definitely much better than aliexpress.

2) I think for E3D clone, you need to get full metal version for temperature up to 280C. There are pros and cons about full metal v.s. regular one that contain PFTE tube inside, google and learn before order.

3) E3D clone need to assembled correctly in order to function property, they lose calibration during shipping and handling process. Based on my personal experience, the most common issue is a) distance between heat block to the fin two close lead to overheat of the heat break. b) the screw fixing thermostat too tight lead to short circuit of thermostat (this will not damage anything but you can not get right temperature reading until you loose that screw).

4) While genuine E3D are well packaged and you can usually assume it stay in best calibration and is ready to install. Genuine E3D cost more, but easy to install and use, also the heat block surface polish are much smoother than E3D clones, which is the only reliable way to identify genuine E3D from E3D clone. (I don't personally have experience with genuine E3D, all information regarding genuine E3D is based on facebook group feed back).

https://www.amazon.com/EAONE-All-Metal- … Z8GSNN610S

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Yizhou: here you are with bad advice again. Very much apples and oranges to the link i posted. that is a hot end only and he will require an extruder as well like a titan or clone.

14 (edited by Tin Falcon 2018-05-05 21:43:55)

This is an e3d with a titan

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/Fcrz-_VzsQU/maxresdefault.jpg

This is a titan aero combo

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/LpDaEbbgZhFZ8eTpB1HLGnmRY1-sevBDMnE9PUE9biOQNs-xoe4qWIEx5dAk_c35kgAQ4S3ipI-7n6vCatFqtQ=w640-h480-p

Either will work but the aero package is more compact and you gain about an inch /25 mm of z height.
I have one of the former set ups on my prusa I 3 kit an it has worked reliably for 2 years .
but the latter makes more sense.This is what is installed on my FT5.

Yes, They are apple and oranges. I Did Not open your link before reply and Sorry about the mistake. I'm cheap, always buy minmal stuff and print the rest including layer cooling fan mount. It Took Me long time to Figure out How to make the part strong and Not accidentally melt by heat block. I would Not recommend it for newbies.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

yizhou.he wrote:

Yes, They are apple and oranges. I Did Not open your link before reply and Sorry about the mistake. I'm cheap, always buy minmal stuff and print the rest including layer cooling fan mount. It Took Me long time to Figure out How to make the part strong and Not accidentally melt by heat block. I would Not recommend it for newbies.

And there in lies the problem. Cheap is NOT better. The old adage, "you get what you pay for" holds very true in the world of 3d printing.

a TRUE E3D is capable of sustained temps in the 290-295C range with the stock thermistor, in stock form.
You can go over 300C with the installation of a thermocouple vs a thermistor - yes, there IS a difference between the two.

Yes, a true E3D will cost more initially, BUT, it will last for the long haul. My 1st SD4 got an E3D v6 back in April of 2015 - I have had ZERO problems out of the hotend itself. a minor clogged nozzle here & there from cheap material (again, you get what you pay for), but that is an easy fix with the E3D.

I keep a spare nozzle or two just for those times that something like that happens... Pull the filament out, heat it up, break the nozzle loose, take it off, install a fresh one, heat tighten, and back to printing in a matter of minutes.
Clogged nozzle gets dropped in a small container of Acetone (i print ABS almost exclusively) to soak the clog loose. Once it is cleaned up the formerly clogged nozzle goes in the parts drawer to be used again the next time.

In 3 years, of often heavy use (8-10 hrs a day, for 6 days a week) I think I have had to change the nozzle out maybe 3 or 4 times.

If I had to guess, I would say I have somewhere around 6500-7000 hours, possibly more, on that one E3D. I have never had to change the thermistor due to failure, nor the heater. I did, however, upgrade to the new style heatblock & thermistor just this past winter... I figured the original had more than enough hours on it to justify doing so, and I was beginning to see some temp fluctuations that were just a little off.

So you tell me - did I get my money's worth out of it? Nearly 3 years and thousands of hours of print time for my $70?
I think I did.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

I never said geneiue E3D Not worth the money. If you keep arguing with Me on this issue, I don't know What to say. I never used geneiue E3D, therefore I can Not comment on the quality or whether it worth $70 or not.

All I am saying is E3D clone is good enough to me, and I Don't know How long They Will last, my oldest one is only around 11 month old, and I am happy with it So far. I am also happy with the other 7 That is in use also, but They Have Not been in use As long.

$70 is Not a lot of money, I never question your decision buying geneiue E3D, people buy iPhone with diamond decorate case made of real gold. I am very ok with it, but I don't recommend it because I Have No experience with it.

Sorry That my cell phone randomly capitalize words and please don't over interpret it.

18 (edited by carl_m1968 2018-05-06 03:09:04)

yizhou.he wrote:

I never said geneiue E3D Not worth the money. If you keep arguing with Me on this issue, I don't know What to say. I never used geneiue E3D, therefore I can Not comment on the quality or whether it worth $70 or not.

This is the point people are trying to make to you. You have never had one. Therefore you have no business talking about one good or bad.

carl_m1968 wrote:

This is the point people are trying to make to you. You have never had one. Therefore you have no business talking about one good or bad.

Precisely so...

As I said in another thread - there is a BIG difference between being "thrifty" and being "cheap"