Re: Update problem with FreeLSS 1.26

Hi every one hope you all had a merry Christmas.
I need some help Please at nearly 70 i am still using the brain i hope.
I have completed building the scanner 3D printed it all and now built a board.
all seems to work but i am unable save settings or update software ( have a licence).

"Error opening properties file for writing"
i am presuming that the software is in the correct place
home/pi/wiringpi/Freelss
Wlan 0 =192.168.0.2x

firmware is 1.11
wiringPi is 2.46
raspbain latest update and upgrade 4.14

Regards Howard

all seems to work but i am unable save settings or update software ( have a licence).

home/pi/wiringpi/Freelss
Wlan 0 =192.168.0.2x

firmware is 1.11
wiringPi is 2.46

Regards Howard

53 (edited by amjfrankenstein 2019-01-12 21:27:26)

hey there - theres a post in here about this freelss needs to be run as root the make startup on 1.11 runs it as pi user

phiatt wrote:

Hey Guys,

My name is Philip Hiatt;  I piddle and mess around with Linux quite often, and I am just now getting into this 3D thing.  If you want FreeLSS to autostart at boot just like you typed "sudo freelss" in the command line.  Do not create "make startup"; if you have then Do this from shell prompt;

sudo update-rc.d freelss remove

Otherwise Do this:

1- Create a shell script in the home directory(/home/pi), ie. $ nano freelss.sh
2- Add these lines;

#!/bin/bash
sudo freelss

3- If you haven't done this already;

$ cd /home/pi
$ cd .config
$ mkdir autostart
$ cd autostart
$ nano freelss.desktop

Enter this in the new file created; "freelss.desktop"

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Exec=/home/pi/freelss.sh
Terminal=false
Notify=false

Save, close, then restart.

After restart, then FreeLSS should start with sudo privileges.

It works for me, I think I got the instructions correct; any question or problems, I will try to help or correct them.  Hope this helps!

still waiting for help with my Atlas Scanner. I bought it from the guy that made em and it came with an SD card already loaded with software. worked OK few months then stopped letting me connect. after trying things Carl said My SD now has nothing readable when plugged into my PC and I cant load anything on the SD as all it says is its Not formatted, do you want to format. if I say NO thats end of use. and I think I said yes once following Carls suggestions but still dead end. so should I format and try loading the Master file again or what?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:

still waiting for help with my Atlas Scanner. I bought it from the guy that made em and it came with an SD card already loaded with software. worked OK few months then stopped letting me connect. after trying things Carl said My SD now has nothing readable when plugged into my PC and I cant load anything on the SD as all it says is its Not formatted, do you want to format. if I say NO thats end of use. and I think I said yes once following Carls suggestions but still dead end. so should I format and try loading the Master file again or what?

I believe I told you that the format windows uses will not work on the sdcard. You have to write the image to the SDcard using a program called Etcher which formats and creates the correct directories so that the RP3 can use it. If windows still tells you the card needs to be formatted after that then the card is bad and was probably your issue from the very beginning. I have had many SDcards go bad just sitting for an extended period of time. Don't know if it's moisture or what but several had gone bad just from not being used in a while.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:
n2ri wrote:

I believe I told you that the format windows uses will not work on the sdcard. You have to write the image to the SDcard using a program called Etcher which formats and creates the correct directories so that the RP3 can use it. If windows still tells you the card needs to be formatted after that then the card is bad and was probably your issue from the very beginning. I have had many SDcards go bad just sitting for an extended period of time. Don't know if it's moisture or what but several had gone bad just from not being used in a while.

well I downloaded both 32bit and 64bit versions but both say only for Win7 or higher when trying to install. wont run on Win XP 32bit

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
n2ri wrote:

well I downloaded both 32bit and 64bit versions but both say only for Win7 or higher when trying to install. wont run on Win XP 32bit

So you only have a single PC with windows xp on it? You don't have access to one with something higher? The image does not have to be made on the PC that will be connected to the scanner.

58 (edited by n2ri 2019-02-25 00:03:48)

carl_m1968 wrote:
n2ri wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

So you only have a single PC with windows xp on it? You don't have access to one with something higher? The image does not have to be made on the PC that will be connected to the scanner.

OK used other PC and done as you said but etcher even couldnt see anything and demanded format also to proceed so formatted with Etcher,  then I tried searching that master folder after unzipping on PC looking for image, NONE found so moved folder to SD card still nothing. so I put SD card back in and turn my main PC on that the Atlas Scanner was originally setup & connected/operated on, but when I turned Atlas scanner on only 1 Red LED lit showing power the other 4 never even blinked and still wont connect so seems all that did was delete image that was on SD card so now I really am stuck waiting for this elusive image/software from the maker just to get back to square one and see why it stopped connecting in 1st place since it did have an image b4 this. also the setup instructions said when 1st powering on lasers should come on and off then reinsert SD card in PC to transfer image/OS and I didnt have any PC then with Win7 so this all sounds wrong with using Etcher etc. but that freeless master folder has NO image file in it or its 3 subfolders.

n2ri wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
n2ri wrote:

OK used other PC and done as you said but etcher even couldnt see anything and demanded format also to proceed so formatted with Etcher,  then I tried searching that master folder after unzipping on PC looking for image, NONE found so moved folder to SD card still nothing. so I put SD card back in and turn my main PC on that the Atlas Scanner was originally setup & connected/operated on, but when I turned Atlas scanner on only 1 Red LED lit showing power the other 4 never even blinked and still wont connect so seems all that did was delete image that was on SD card so now I really am stuck waiting for this elusive image/software from the maker just to get back to square one and see why it stopped connecting in 1st place since it did have an image b4 this. also the setup instructions said when 1st powering on lasers should come on and off then reinsert SD card in PC to transfer image/OS and I didnt have any PC then with Win7 so this all sounds wrong with using Etcher etc. but that freeless master folder has NO image file in it or its 3 subfolders.

When you use etcher, you don't unpack the zip. Just point etcher to the zip file as the image source and let etcher do the work. It will unpack it. I don't know if it will work if you unpack first. I had to do the same thing with the RP3 that runs NanoDLP for my D7 DUV Printer.

Post or link the master file you have and I will try etcher and see what i get.

Hi n2ri,

I just emailed you a link to the SD image.  You can try writing it to the SD card with Win32DiskImager by following the instructions in the link below.  If it still doesn't work, you should try a different SD card.

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati … windows.md

Uriah

61 (edited by n2ri 2019-02-25 16:50:18)

hairu526 wrote:

Hi n2ri,

I just emailed you a link to the SD image.  You can try writing it to the SD card with Win32DiskImager by following the instructions in the link below.  If it still doesn't work, you should try a different SD card.

Uriah

that win32 image writer program wont even start when installed on my Win xp PC it just says proceedure start point dll not found. download page says nothing about required OS etc

update; found older ver of win32 diskimager on the download page, installed it and went through the image install procedure it said successfully but when I put SD back in scanner still nothing but 1 Red LED on pi lit so somethings not working as it says. b4 all this all 5 LEDs lit/flashed like it was communicating just not able to connect to PC. now when I put SD back in PC it cant see anything and only prompts to format. win32diskimager also sees nothing and read icon stays greyed out. I dont get this crap

62 (edited by carl_m1968 2019-02-25 16:16:10)

n2ri wrote:
hairu526 wrote:

Hi n2ri,

Uriah

that win32 image writer program wont even start when installed on my Win xp PC it just says proceedure start point dll not found. download page says nothing about required OS etc

You seem to only read what you want.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/win32diskimager/

This release is for Windows 7/8.1/10. It will should also work on Windows Server 2008/2012/2016 (although not tested by the developmers). For Windows XP/Vista, please use v0.9 (in the files archive).

Quoted straight from the main page even included their spelling mistake. Seems pretty informative to me. Look close at the part I put in bold.

carl_m1968 wrote:
n2ri wrote:
hairu526 wrote:

Hi n2ri,

Uriah

This release is for Windows 7/8.1/10. It will should also work on Windows Server 2008/2012/2016 (although not tested by the developmers). For Windows XP/Vista, please use v0.9 (in the files archive).

Quoted straight from the main page even included their spelling mistake. Seems pretty informative to me. Look close at the part I put in bold.

yep see my post update

n2ri wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
n2ri wrote:

yep see my post update

Like Hairu said, your SDcard is probably bad then. They do go bad. This was most likely your issue from the beginning since you said all you did is brought it out of storage. Also you need to make sure it is a Class10 card since it will be used as an OS.

65 (edited by n2ri 2019-02-25 16:55:32)

ok trying to write it again this time instead of clicking write I clicked read and it seems to be doing it correct now as its taking longer than last time. will update. also win32diskimager besides having buttons crossed it cant see zip folders when trying to point to file you have to drag the zip and drop it into file window.

took long time to write that time but still same result

n2ri wrote:

Go to get yourself a new SDcard like was suggested and try it again. Don't assume the card is good just because the writer is returning no errors. The fact that Windows cannot see the contents of the card means the card is defective. If the image is installed Windows should be able to see the directories and their contents on the card if it was done right and the card is a known good card.

carl_m1968 wrote:
n2ri wrote:

Go to get yourself a new SDcard like was suggested and try it again. Don't assume the card is good just because the writer is returning no errors. The fact that Windows cannot see the contents of the card means the card is defective. If the image is installed Windows should be able to see the directories and their contents on the card if it was done right and the card is a known good card.

dont think so...  My IT tech Sons also have Raspberry pis with images on SD cards for various projects and unless using Linux or an app like Etcher, PCs cant see the image and only ask to format card.
plus b4 all this formatting the SD card did cause pi LED lights all 5 to come on and some flickered like traffic. plus win32diskimager has very limited features and even less instructions. I find no way to format or a couple other options etcher has. gonna search more on pages I downloaded from for better info maybe retry and then try different micro SD adapter as they also come apart and loose connections often. but as long as it took last time reading/writing it had to have loaded.

hairu526 wrote:

Hi n2ri,

Uriah

I'm thinking the ver 1.27 is not compatible with my old model B pi maybe send the ver 1.22 and I'll try it and see if it works.

70 (edited by carl_m1968 2019-02-25 22:16:18)

n2ri wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:
n2ri wrote:

dont think so...  My IT tech Sons also have Raspberry pis with images on SD cards for various projects and unless using Linux or an app like Etcher, PCs cant see the image and only ask to format card.
plus b4 all this formatting the SD card did cause pi LED lights all 5 to come on and some flickered like traffic. plus win32diskimager has very limited features and even less instructions. I find no way to format or a couple other options etcher has. gonna search more on pages I downloaded from for better info maybe retry and then try different micro SD adapter as they also come apart and loose connections often. but as long as it took last time reading/writing it had to have loaded.

I use a RP3 ver B to run my DUV Printer. It runs NanoDLP which is a dedicated OS for DUV printers. When I create an SDcard for it using Etcher. It makes the the card act as two drives. One of them Windows says needs to be formated and no matter what you can't access it. But there will be another drive under another letter called something. In my case it is BOOT. As you can see the ROOT aand all the files are visible as well as several directories. I have to open the last file in the list and edit it to enable the Wifi on my Pi so I know I can see, edit, and save files using Windows and the Pi can still use them as well. Not sure what  you and your IT friends are doing wrong but I can do it with no issues. You can see it is a Linux OS as well.

I just have a simple card reader that plugs into any USB port and then the card plugs into it. Maybe its a Windows 10 thing that allows you to see and interact with the files, I don't know. I just know I can.

http://soliforum.com/i/?DRRc13O.jpg

n2ri

I am willing to contact you by phone if you are in the US. I can walk you through the issue you are having. I have trashed a few SD cards by using windows to format it. Also a note... The 1.27 image does not want to fit on an 8GB sdcard. Not sure if it was me but I bought a 16GB and it worked perfectly.

There is an SD formatter tool out there https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ but again you need Windows 7 minimum.

Is there a reason for sticking with XP? XP is no longer supported and patching no longer works. For that matter Windows 7 is over next year.

I will help if you want. The point is, I think we all want to achieve the same thing here. We all want a scanner we can use.

If you are in the US I can help.

72 (edited by n2ri 2019-02-27 07:38:58)

hoopty wrote:

n2ri

I am willing to contact you by phone if you are in the US. I can walk you through the issue you are having. I have trashed a few SD cards by using windows to format it. Also a note... The 1.27 image does not want to fit on an 8GB sdcard. Not sure if it was me but I bought a 16GB and it worked perfectly.

There is an SD formatter tool out there https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ but again you need Windows 7 minimum.

Is there a reason for sticking with XP? XP is no longer supported and patching no longer works. For that matter Windows 7 is over next year.

I will help if you want. The point is, I think we all want to achieve the same thing here. We all want a scanner we can use.

If you are in the US I can help.

I never plan to use Win8-10. may as well use a kids tablet instead. most my stuff is run with Win XP and I have a Win 7 laptop for internet playing etc and use of apps that cant work on older OS. Im done with MS products made after that. tried Win10 1 week and took me 1 month to eradicate that Malware from My Thinkpad. the rasp pi on my Atlas is a model B too so dont need the newer stuff. and hate anything reliant on Cloud account. I prefer my laptops net/web  free enabled ;^>
and Win32Diskimager ver .9 works fine on Winxp 32bit. all the new software makers only sell Win 10 products now. dont mean thats all there is. heck I got lots of friends still using win95 and earlier PCs. depends on needs. lots on Linux too.
also if ya need a bigger SD card than device onboard memory can read that wont work. many cameras, Garmins etc have limits on that.

carl_m1968 wrote:
n2ri wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

I use a RP3 ver B to run my DUV Printer. It runs NanoDLP which is a dedicated OS for DUV printers. When I create an SDcard for it using Etcher. It makes the the card act as two drives. One of them Windows says needs to be formated and no matter what you can't access it. But there will be another drive under another letter called something. In my case it is BOOT. As you can see the ROOT aand all the files are visible as well as several directories. I have to open the last file in the list and edit it to enable the Wifi on my Pi so I know I can see, edit, and save files using Windows and the Pi can still use them as well. Not sure what  you and your IT friends are doing wrong but I can do it with no issues. You can see it is a Linux OS as well.

I just have a simple card reader that plugs into any USB port and then the card plugs into it. Maybe its a Windows 10 thing that allows you to see and interact with the files, I don't know. I just know I can.

http://soliforum.com/i/?DRRc13O.jpg

yep its win 10 cloud that does that

hwrd251 wrote:

home/pi/wiringpi/Freelss
Wlan 0 =192.168.0.2x

firmware is 1.11
wiringPi is 2.46

Regards Howard

be sure the Lock switch on your SD card for write protection is not towards Lock or pi cant write to memory

well after writing the ver 1.22 several times to different Micro SD cards and using dif SD adapters for my pi model B full sized slot. even wasting $21 on a new 16gb card nothing fixed the issue and still havnt got the 5 LEDs on pi to light as they did when it just wasnt connecting to PC only 1 solid Red LED when powered on.

also learned some very odd things like the 2 image folders show 4-6 gb size but seem to require lots more memory when installed. the 8gb original card worked ok though for ver 1.22 and the ver 1.7 also though only far as image installer didnt complain like when trying smaller SD cards.

another very odd thing, when I 1st downloaded image zip files I put one on my 32gb micro SD thumb drive to move it between my winxp laptop and win7 laptop while using dif imagers. but after a couple attempts failed I tried putting zip folders from both versions on same thumb-drive which only had about 5gb space used I got errors on both zip folders saying destination drive was full and could no longer load them on said thumb drive. even after cleaning out files and formmating it. as if some how an image got either written on that drive (but all other files could still be added, used etc) or the zip folders once used/written to a disk it no longer was recognized as just a zip folder by WinXP

need somebody that fully understands this type format to help/explain things better as the page for Win32diskimager has no user guide explaining even how to use the few buttons in their app and no reply on their FB page.

what could cause my old pi to just stop responding and only power indicator light working ever since formatting the original SD card?