Topic: New to 3D printing

Hi!
We just got a Maker Ultimate 3D Printer.
Since I'm the CAD designer, I have to learn how to get the best quality out of it.

PLA parts seem to be pretty good with whatever the factory settings are, but ABS not so much.

Dave
3D printer - Monoprice Maker Ultimate with mods-
microswiss hot end, Bondtech extruder, twin cooling fans & ducts, insulated heater block, enclosed with Lexan like the Wanhao D6 it is based on.

Re: New to 3D printing

Welcome to the board

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

ABS really benefits from a warm stable environment. Most people find a way to enclose thier printers so there are no drafts or temp fluctuations. One of the first things I see when I google that printer is "OPTIMIZE AIRFLOW, Greater Consistency
The open frame design improves airflow, ensuring that all parts of your model cool at the same rate, resulting in greater print consistency." Not for ABS. What problems are you having with it?

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28

4 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-12-14 20:57:43)

Is it MonoPrice Maker Ultimate 3D Printer? If it is, it will be easy to seal it with some wooden board or acrylic sheet. The Monoprice Maker Ultimate is a rebadge of the Wanhao Duplicator 6, it should look something like this after sealed.

https://hackadaycom.files.wordpress.com/2016/08/wanhao.png?w=325&h=400

This solution will help reduce layer splitting and wraping

https://www.simplify3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Layers-Splitting-Or-Cracking.jpg

https://www.simplify3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Warping.jpg

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

Yes, Monoprice Maker Ultimate.
It's set up in a room, normal room temperature.

Ill try putting up a couple of pictures tomorrow. 
The PLA parts come out ok,  Except for some "hair" when the head moves from one position to another when it's not supposed to be making plastic.

The ABS one is rougher on the outside, the ABS seems to be gooier in places.  Especially small areas, I'm guessing it didn't cool enough.

The first layer it puts down after it makes the little thin pad, has a pretty crummy look to it, regardless of the material.   Is there a way to get that to come out smoother?

I can certainly fabricate sides etc. to enclose the printer.

The yellow and blue items above have very clean looking outside sides, even though they have obvious other problems.

Dave
microswiss hot end, Bondtech extruder, twin cooling fans & ducts, insulated heater block, enclosed with Lexan like the Wanhao D6 it is based on.

Here are some of the parts so far:

Back, tall one is ABS.  The finish is crummy / bumpier and uneven compared to the PLA parts.  It also seemed to have some extra difficulty where the holes are about 1/4 of the way up from the bottom.  What do I adjust first to try to improve this?

Left black part is one of a 6 at a time print run.  It came out slightly oversize compared to the middle blue one, and the right black one, which were made as individual runs.

The sides are ok, don't know if I can expect better by adjusting something?

The blue one in front, is upside down from the way I printed it.  As viewed, the top was the first layer, and looks pretty crummy.  The undersides look very nice, as do the sides.  But if I were to print it in the position in the photo, while the top would likely look good, the underside where the overhang is would be so bad it wouldn't fit well with the part it mates to.

Post's attachments

mic parts.jpg 298.66 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Dave

7 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-12-15 19:27:46)

I think what you have is in part due to over-extrusion:
https://www.simplify3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Over-Extruding.jpg

This is the instructions for Extrusion multiplier calibration, follow the instruction in the summary
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1796601

You can either reduce your flow rate or reduce extruder step/mm settings based on the result of the calibration.

The "hair" you described may be result of nozzle temperature too high or insufficient retraction. over-extruding can also cause this. So if the issue still there after calibrate the Extrusion multiplier, try to reduce printing temperature.
https://www.simplify3d.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/Hairs-And-Stringing.jpg

You also want to try this calibration to reduce the nozzle temperature. You can try to search for temperature tower in thingiverse and print one of those to identify the best temperature for the specific color and material of your filament. This temperature are filament specific, so you may want to do this again when switch to different color or brand of the filament.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2318636

For more informaiton:
https://www.simplify3d.com/support/prin … eshooting/

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

8 (edited by Kronikabuse 2017-12-15 19:46:22)

IF the esteps are off follow the directions under calibration found here http://www.soliwiki.com/#Calibrations should only have to do that once. You DO NOT change e-steps for over or under extrusion after you know your steps have been calibrated. After you know the esteps are good (if you even need to calibrate them) you calibrate the extrusion multiplier. those diresctions are also in the same link. You should calibrate your extrusion multiplier for every spool of filament you use. even if its the same color and or brand as you have had before.

9 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-12-15 20:26:27)

Dave455 wrote:

The first layer it puts down after it makes the little thin pad, has a pretty crummy look to it, regardless of the material.   Is there a way to get that to come out smoother?

I can certainly fabricate sides etc. to enclose the printer.

The yellow and blue items above have very clean looking outside sides, even though they have obvious other problems.

https://www.simplify3d.com/support/arti … and-brims/

I think when you slice your model, you use raft instead of brim. I don't have solution for this kind of effect because I never use raft. I always use brim to make the print stick to the bed better. You may want to wait for other long time member to share their method to get smooth bottom on raft.

My best experience with smooth bottom coming from use glass bed and "glue stick"/"abs juice"/"jello power solution". 2nd best experience came from naked print bed with/without kapton tape, 3rd best experience came from blue tape for PLA. Google each item together with the word "3D Printing" for detailed instructions.

http://thrinter.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/IMGP2741-800x450.jpg

Ok, so far -
I checked the extrusion length vs the mm.  It is very close, just a small amount short.  In other words, it extrudes slightly less than asked.  Not more.

I tried the brim mode for printing one of the blue parts in the front in my picture file. [in a post above]  It ended up with a very thin layer of plastic stuck to the top face of it that I cannot remove, or would have to take a lot of time fiddling with to cut away from the slots.  The finish would be fine, but the web that blocks the slots is a problem...

The sides came out nice, and the top faces.  Note, in the picture it is upside down from the position it is printed in.

I have to go looking for the temperature settings and speed  / delay settings now...

Dave

Dave455 wrote:

Ok, so far -
I checked the extrusion length vs the mm.  It is very close, just a small amount short.  In other words, it extrudes slightly less than asked.  Not more.

I tried the brim mode for printing one of the blue parts in the front in my picture file. [in a post above]  It ended up with a very thin layer of plastic stuck to the top face of it that I cannot remove, or would have to take a lot of time fiddling with to cut away from the slots.  The finish would be fine, but the web that blocks the slots is a problem...

The sides came out nice, and the top faces.  Note, in the picture it is upside down from the position it is printed in.

I have to go looking for the temperature settings and speed  / delay settings now...

if you use glass bed and "glue stick"/"abs juice"/"jello power solution". Raft and brim is not require, just do skirt will be good. The skirt will not touch your print, just to make sure the nozzle flow out filament in consistent flow. Use Raft and brim only when you have trouble to stick your first layer to the print bed or you print came off the print bed in the middle of print. It is not required for every print, I use brim only for thin and tall models.

To add, a raft is royal pain in the @$$ to remove without damaging your print or leaving some of the raft attached. So it is best to avoid using a raft if at all possible.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I have noticed that the place where the printer checks the build plate against the stop switch, to get the height for the first layer, the build plate now has a depression in the plastic  [looks and feels like lexan] .  I'm thinking that this could screw up at least the first layer or so, because the plate will be closer to the extruder than the machine thinks.

I've tried adjusting the flow % , retraction distance, extruder temperature, speed of moving [some of them, there are a few]  still getting strings between parts / across gaps in a part.  Semi randomly.

Dave

14 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-12-22 01:39:04)

Dave455 wrote:

I have noticed that the place where the printer checks the build plate against the stop switch, to get the height for the first layer, the build plate now has a depression in the plastic  [looks and feels like lexan] .  I'm thinking that this could screw up at least the first layer or so, because the plate will be closer to the extruder than the machine thinks.

I've tried adjusting the flow % , retraction distance, extruder temperature, speed of moving [some of them, there are a few]  still getting strings between parts / across gaps in a part.  Semi randomly.

Add layer cooling fan if printing PLA

15 (edited by carl_m1968 2017-12-22 02:33:26)

Dave455 wrote:

To compensate for the dimple in the bed material if it can be unmounted you could rotate the material so the other side is no being probed. Also as said, add a layer cooling fan if you are using PLA. It is necessary with PLA.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

There is a fan with a little scoop to the right of the extruder nozzle.  But it does spend a lot of it's time not over the parts.
The angle of the exit doens't look like it would be effective at blowing air over the top layer of a part once the build has progressed any distance off the bed.  Hmmm....

Dave

Dave455 wrote:

There is a fan with a little scoop to the right of the extruder nozzle.  But it does spend a lot of it's time not over the parts.
The angle of the exit doens't look like it would be effective at blowing air over the top layer of a part once the build has progressed any distance off the bed.  Hmmm....

As far as I understand, Monoprice maker ultimate stock configuration do not include layer cooling fan. You can print a fan mount and  add additional fan as layer cooling fan. There are multiple choice depend on what fan you like.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1875511

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2009614

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2118768

This page list most popular mod that you can do for your Monoprice maker ultimate 3D printer:

http://www.printer3d.one/en/wanhao-dupl … rovements/

Progress update:
I have designed and printed an improved duct for the existing fan. 
I have additional fans on the way to make the second fan, as shown in one of the links above.
I have begun gathering the pieces to fabricate the clear covers for the sides and top of the printer.
Got a second printer.   Installed a MicroSwiss hot end on it.  It works better than the used hot end that it came with.

I have added jam nuts to the screws that are used to trigger the home switch for the Z axis - they were loose!  No way anything is going to be repeatable when that screw can move every time the printer starts. 

I've printed several parts with no brim  or raft.  Is it normal for the first layer to be a thin peel away ?

Dave

Dave455 wrote:

Progress update:
I have designed and printed an improved duct for the existing fan. 
I have additional fans on the way to make the second fan, as shown in one of the links above.
I have begun gathering the pieces to fabricate the clear covers for the sides and top of the printer.
Got a second printer.   Installed a MicroSwiss hot end on it.  It works better than the used hot end that it came with.

I have added jam nuts to the screws that are used to trigger the home switch for the Z axis - they were loose!  No way anything is going to be repeatable when that screw can move every time the printer starts. 

I've printed several parts with no brim  or raft.  Is it normal for the first layer to be a thin peel away ?

No, the first layer to be a thin peel away is not normal. You will have trouble to get your print off the print bed and your final print height will be slightly off. You can try adjust your z-offset (or bed leveling) to increase the distance between nozzle and print bed. the distance should around 0.05mm to 0.25mm depend on your layer thickness or your first layer thickness and your print bed. I use 0.1mm for PLA on glass bed with glue stick, you should try to find the best nozzle height with your system to find a optimal distance so that your print can easily pop off the print bed after cool down while not pop off the print bed during printing.

Ok, I'm going to look at that bed zero height adjustment / etc. more.

The way they have the calibration / leveling procedure, every time you go through it, it gets another mm further out, crashing the head into the plate when it homes at the start of a print.  It's stupid that the limit switch is not triggered by the actual build plate.

Other thing that has helped - a very light  & quick wipe with acetone has made the parts stick to the lexan plate better, so I'm not having bad prints due to part of the PLA lifting off the plate.  Have to not go crazy with the acetone because it will attack the plastic.

Dave

Acetone is safe for PLA but not ABS, and is is not safe for human, use Alcohol is lot safer, the most common source of dirt need to wipe with acetone/alcohol is grease/oil, so avoid get lubricant or hands touched lubricant to the glass bed will help.

We had used denatured alcohol, but it made little difference.  The Lexan build plate surface is new, new printers.  But there must have been some thin film of something that the acetone took off, as parts adhere well now.  I know about safe handling of acetone, used it when needed for years.  It's not for everything.

Dave

Are you talking about the protection film? Can't you just peer it off?

Acetone is not unsafe, in fact it is naturally created within your own body.  That doesn’t mean you should drink it but skin contact will do nothing more than dry your skin out.
Alcohol will be very ineffective for our application.
Please stick to the facts.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

yizhou.he wrote "Are you talking about the protection film? Can't you just peer it off?"

No, it's not a layer of thin protective plastic.  There must have been a trace of oil or other contaminant from the manufacturing of the Lexan build plate sheet.

Everything has been adhering well since the quick acetone wipe.

Dave