Re: New to 3D printing

wardjr wrote:

Acetone is not unsafe, in fact it is naturally created within your own body.  That doesn’t mean you should drink it but skin contact will do nothing more than dry your skin out.
Alcohol will be very ineffective for our application.
Please stick to the facts.

I do biomedical research, I do understand human body create Acetone, Acetone is one of the Ketone bodies liver produced after long term fasting (>24 hours). After long term fasting, liver run out of glycogen and human body start to use fatty acid as energy source but fatty acid can not reach brain, liver create Ketone bodies including acetone that can pass blood-brain barrier and use ketone bodies as energy source.(Low food intake (fasting), carbohydrate restrictive diets, starvation, prolonged intense exercise, alcoholism or in untreated (or inadequately treated) type 1 diabetes mellitus all triger elevated Ketone bodies synthesis.)

However, Acetone concentration produced in human body is very low. And the fact human body only use Ketone bodies and fatty acid only when necessary suggest use these high energy density molecule have adverse effect. The current hypothesis is metabolic these high energy density molecule induce oxidative stress.

Acetone we used in high concentration. We use Acetone treatment in experiment to extract cells or use Acetone/alcohol mixture to fix cell, which means cell dies quickly upon contact with Acetone. Yes, skin contact you don't feel anything because there is a thick layer of dead cell on surface of skin anyway. However, Acetone contact will extract all lipid and nuclear acid and most of cellular content away from those dead cell and they become white in color. In areas that is not as well protected by dead cell, it will kill alive cells. example are eye, ear, inside of mouth, nose, etc.

Since Acetone is one of the alternative energy source for brain, it will regulate brain metabolism when in low physiological concentration. On the other hand, it will mess up brain metabolism when in high concentration, it will behave as depress the central nervous system in short term and potential metabolic mis-regulation in long term. People with metabolic mis-regulation condition are more vulnerable including diabetic condition and obesity condition. Human body also evolved to deal with ketone bodies(acetoacetate, beta-hydroxybutyrate, and acetone) at certain ratio, elevated acetone level alone without corresponding acetoacetate and beta-hydroxybutyrate increase also lead to mis-regulated metabolism.

With that said, although acetone is believed to exhibit only slight toxicity in normal use, it is not safe to use without proper protection.

Please read the cited source in case I express anything wrong with my poor English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketone_bo … the_liver)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone

https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/com … -ehp-7.pdf

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

always have to have a come back

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

yizhou.he wrote:
wardjr wrote:

Acetone is not unsafe, in fact it is naturally created within your own body.  That doesn’t mean you should drink it but skin contact will do nothing more than dry your skin out.
Alcohol will be very ineffective for our application.
Please stick to the facts.

I do biomedical research, I do understand human body create Acetone, Acetone is one of the Ketone bodies liver produced after long term fasting (>24 hours). After long term fasting, liver run out of glycogen and human body start to use fatty acid as energy source but fatty acid can not reach brain, liver create Ketone bodies including acetone that can pass blood-brain barrier and use ketone bodies as energy source.(Low food intake (fasting), carbohydrate restrictive diets, starvation, prolonged intense exercise, alcoholism or in untreated (or inadequately treated) type 1 diabetes mellitus all triger elevated Ketone bodies synthesis.)

However, Acetone concentration produced in human body is very low. And the fact human body only use Ketone bodies and fatty acid only when necessary suggest use these high energy density molecule have adverse effect. The current hypothesis is metabolic these high energy density molecule induce oxidative stress.

Acetone we used in high concentration. We use Acetone treatment in experiment to extract cells or use Acetone/alcohol mixture to fix cell, which means cell dies quickly upon contact with Acetone. Yes, skin contact you don't feel anything because there is a thick layer of dead cell on surface of skin anyway. However, Acetone contact will extract all lipid and nuclear acid and most of cellular content away from those dead cell and they become white in color. In areas that is not as well protected by dead cell, it will kill alive cells. example are eye, ear, inside of mouth, nose, etc.

Since Acetone is one of the alternative energy source for brain, it will regulate brain metabolism when in low physiological concentration. On the other hand, it will mess up brain metabolism when in high concentration, it will behave as depress the central nervous system in short term and potential metabolic mis-regulation in long term. People with metabolic mis-regulation condition are more vulnerable including diabetic condition and obesity condition. Human body also evolved to deal with ketone bodies(acetoacetate, beta-hydroxybutyrate, and acetone) at certain ratio, elevated acetone level alone without corresponding acetoacetate and beta-hydroxybutyrate increase also lead to mis-regulated metabolism.

With that said, although acetone is believed to exhibit only slight toxicity in normal use, it is not safe to use without proper protection.

Please read the cited source in case I express anything wrong with my poor English.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketone_bo … the_liver)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone

https://www.des.nh.gov/organization/com … -ehp-7.pdf

So what is the goal of this wall of text?

Ward said Acetone was safe in the way we use it. He did not say to drink or bathe in it. Most people here can read the cautions on a container and if they are overly cautious they can download the MSDS.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

The bottom line is use acetone is not that safe. It is recommended to use alcohol or soapy water to clean the lipid or grease.

When people had adverse effect on Acetone, they did not drink or bath in it, Acetone evaporate fast and people uptake Acetone by breath Acetone vapor.

I'm sure most people can read the cautions on a container and will download and read the MSDS. I also trust people will not test the safety by skin contact or breath the vapor. I wrote the wall of text to improve my scientific writing in English and you can ignore it if you already know every detail of it.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

yizhou.he wrote:

The bottom line is use acetone is not that safe. It is recommended to use alcohol or soapy water to clean the lipid or grease.

When people had adverse effect on Acetone, they did not drink or bath in it, Acetone evaporate fast and people uptake Acetone by breath Acetone vapor.

I'm sure most people can read the cautions on a container and will download and read the MSDS. I also trust people will not test the safety by skin contact or breath the vapor. I wrote the wall of text to improve my scientific writing in English and you can ignore it if you already know every detail of it.

If you are into vapor finishing and you want to do so to PLA then the chemical for that makes Acetone seem like water. Give Tetrahydrofuran a quick look over. It vapor finishes PLA like Acetone does ABS but it can form explosive peroxides if allowed to evaporate.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

carl_m1968 wrote:

If you are into vapor finishing and you want to do so to PLA then the chemical for that makes Acetone seem like water. Give Tetrahydrofuran a quick look over. It vapor finishes PLA like Acetone does ABS but it can form explosive peroxides if allowed to evaporate.

I agree, Tetrahydrofuran is bad. I would not recommend use it for vapor finish PLA, I recommend Ethyl Acetate for PLA vapor, it may be more challenging to find best conditions, but Ethyl Acetate is ester of ethanol and vinegar and are considered a lot safer than Tetrahydrofuran. You need uptake 10 times of Ethyl Acetate than Acetone to get someone killed.

Kronikabuse wrote:

always have to have a come back

more like "always has to have the last word" =/

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

That too

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

I built and attached these fan ducts.  Made from PLA.  Used aluminum for the places where I wanted very thin geometry and to deal with heat.  They are holding up even while printing ABS.

Parts are made a lot better with these, and the Micro Swiss all metal extruder parts.

Thank you,
Dave

Post's attachments

Fans.jpg
Fans.jpg 122.1 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Dave
3D printer - Monoprice Maker Ultimate with mods-
microswiss hot end, Bondtech extruder, twin cooling fans & ducts, insulated heater block, enclosed with Lexan like the Wanhao D6 it is based on.

Update, I'm going to have to re make them in ABS, as they have deformed a bit over time.

Dave
3D printer - Monoprice Maker Ultimate with mods-
microswiss hot end, Bondtech extruder, twin cooling fans & ducts, insulated heater block, enclosed with Lexan like the Wanhao D6 it is based on.