1 (edited by pirvan 2017-12-10 17:36:02)

Topic: New Scan - Death Dealer by Frazetta

A little over a month ago, I bought a model kit of the Death Dealer.  This is the sculpt inspired by Frank Frazettas famous painting.  The complete model with base and rider stands over 9" tall.

http://soliforum.com/i/?raoHSor.jpg

As I started building it, I though that I should scan it so I can print it later if I wanted to.  So I dusted off my EinScan 3D scanner, and started with the horse.

The horse is a little over 6" tall at the top of the neck, and 9.5" long, which posed a problem, as the scanner envelope is just under 8" in diameter and and about 5.5" in height.  To add to the problem, the horse's feet/hooves have 3/8" long posts designed to pin it into the base, which I didn't want to cut.  Those posts not only add to the height, but also make the model a little wobbly on the turntable.

So I end up using a lot of double face tape on the turntable surface to keep the model from moving.  a dozen failed attempts later I finally figured out the best way of scanning this beast.  Here are the results of 6 position scans.  The beauty of the EinScan software is that it does all the stitching automatically.  I also did a separate scan of the head are only.  The Head was then "transplanted" to rest of the horse.  The only other modification was the bottom of the hooves was cut to remove the posts, not other retouching was done.

The original scan was about 3 million triangles, but got it down to .25%, so it's currently about 750K triangles, and about 35MB in size.

http://soliforum.com/i/?fyUp3IN.jpg

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Re: New Scan - Death Dealer by Frazetta

wow, nice job.

the chest area looks like it could use a little tweaking - it looks kinda caved in/too shallow, but the rest looks pretty darn good.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Hmmm... not really, the chest is near perfect, just like the actual model.  If there is a part that needs work is the top of the neck, the mane and the tail.

Here is a different shot of the chest.  The flattened area between the front and hind legs, is exactly like the model.

http://soliforum.com/i/?ebpl7gG.jpg

Is anyone else hearing Flirtin' with Disaster in their head while reading this thread?  ;P

justsomeguy wrote:

Is anyone else hearing Flirtin' with Disaster in their head while reading this thread?  ;P

As long as he is not selling them for profit and he is giving cred to the original artist, I don't see it being an issue.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

justsomeguy wrote:

Other than me mentioning I scanned the model so I can print it later at a smaller scale, I don't see where I could possibly be "flirting with disaster".

Did I imply anywhere that the model will be released?

pirvan wrote:

Hmmm... not really, the chest is near perfect, just like the actual model.  If there is a part that needs work is the top of the neck, the mane and the tail.

Here is a different shot of the chest.  The flattened area between the front and hind legs, is exactly like the model.

http://soliforum.com/i/?ebpl7gG.jpg

i was referring to the front of the chest... the area below the neck, between the front legs. not the "belly" area..

this...

Post's attachments

horse-front-view copy.jpg
horse-front-view copy.jpg 136.05 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Here is a side-by-side shot of the plastic model and the scan.  They are nearly identical.  You're right, there shouldn't be such a deep crevice in the chest, but  that's how the model is, and the scan is just like it.

I suppose if I wanted to I could fill that part in, but I think I'll leave it just like original.

http://soliforum.com/i/?5ODKK04.jpg

I think your scan looks better than the original model. You scanning skill and post scanning process skill are perfect! But the scanner is quite expensive, it totally worth the price for your art scanning purpose, but overkill for me. Do you have more affordable scanner that you can recommend?

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

I started with the Atlas 3D scanner, and there are lots of posts here that I've done with tutorials and such.  The Atlas 3D, when properly calibrated can produce very good results, athough it requires quite a bit of post scan processing. 

The nice thing about the Enscan-S is that it does a lot of things automatically, like aligning of separate scans, which I used to have to do manually using MeshLab and MeshMixer before.

Yes, it's more expensive, but ultimately, it's the best thing out there for less than 5 grand.

Right now, there's a vendor on eBay selling them for $929, which is damn good deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EinScan-S-3D-S … Swax5Yyta1

pirvan wrote:

Here is a side-by-side shot of the plastic model and the scan.  They are nearly identical.  You're right, there shouldn't be such a deep crevice in the chest, but  that's how the model is, and the scan is just like it.

I suppose if I wanted to I could fill that part in, but I think I'll leave it just like original.

Ok, yes, the scan looks just like (actually somewhat better than) the model, so it is an issue with the model itself. =P

Sorry, did not mean to start a fight... it just looked odd to me - having grown up with horses and all..

12 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-12-12 16:10:48)

pirvan wrote:

I started with the Atlas 3D scanner, and there are lots of posts here that I've done with tutorials and such.  The Atlas 3D, when properly calibrated can produce very good results, athough it requires quite a bit of post scan processing. 

The nice thing about the Enscan-S is that it does a lot of things automatically, like aligning of separate scans, which I used to have to do manually using MeshLab and MeshMixer before.

Yes, it's more expensive, but ultimately, it's the best thing out there for less than 5 grand.

Right now, there's a vendor on eBay selling them for $929, which is damn good deal.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EinScan-S-3D-S … Swax5Yyta1

Wow! You spend 5 grand for a new one? When I say "But the scanner is quite expensive," the $929 one is the one I think quite expensive. But the scanning quality is really good, if you can use it for productivity, the price should not be a problem.

I will use it to scan machine parts that don't contain complex surface, I will look into Atlas 3D scanner, thank you very much for your information.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

yizhou.he wrote:

Wow! You spend 5 grand for a new one? When I say "But the scanner is quite expensive," the $929 one is the one I think quite expensive. But the scanning quality is really good, if you can use it for productivity, the price should not be a problem.

I will use it to scan machine parts that don't contain complex surface, I will look into Atlas 3D scanner, thank you very much for your information.

I don't recommend the Atlas for scanning machine parts, if you want to create functional parts.  The Atlas will not produce scans that are dimensionally accurate enough for use as functional parts, and tweaking the mesh to get it accurate will be much too much work.  I mean the scan will look like the part, but it will not be accurate, especially if it needs to fit together with other parts.

I'm not sure what you use for a 3D modelling program, but when it comes to making functional parts, you're better off making them from scratch.  There are scanners, to be sure, that are designed for this sort of thing.  For example the NexEngine scanner works in conjunction with Solidworks, and after the scan it converts the mesh to a Solidworks part.

Then there are much more expensive scanners that work with both 3D cameras and tactile probes, where you "brush" the surface of the model with a pressure sensitive wand and it generates the mesh surface, then it can convert it to a solid object or into a NURBS surface which can be used in apps like 3D Studio Max or Z-Brush.  But all these scanners are expensive, the wand scanners cost in excess of $10K, while the Next Engine starts at about $5K for the base model, and it doesn't even include a license for Solidworks which can add another thousand+.

Originally the Einscan-S was about $1200.  Since then they released newer models, and the older model has dropped down to $1000.   I don't remember what I paid for mine, but I bought it used for just under $900, I think.

I have no experience on tweaking the mesh, so redraw everything will be easier for me. I will redraw the part in cad software, it is a lot easier if I have scanned stl on side and zoomed to projected size. so nothing fancy is needed. I will definitely consider Einscan-S if my interest move into art area or Einscan-S price goes down.

Flirtin' with Disaster was a hit by a band from the American South somewhere, called Molly Hatchet.

All of their album covers were Frazetta paintings.  Death Dealer was one of them.

Sorry for any confusion (and thread sidetracking). I thought someone here would get it. LOL

Beautiful scan. Can't wait to see the finished product.

16 (edited by pirvan 2017-12-12 21:16:19)

justsomeguy wrote:

Flirtin' with Disaster was a hit by a band from the American South somewhere, called Molly Hatchet.

All of their album covers were Frazetta paintings.  Death Dealer was one of them.

Sorry for any confusion (and thread sidetracking). I thought someone here would get it. LOL

while I'm a big hard rock & southern rock fan, Molly hatchet was not a band I listended to, I was more into Allman Brothers, Lynyrd Skynyrd and such.  But you peaked my curiosity so I looked at their album covers, and sure enough their debut album had that painting on the cover:

https://fanart.tv/api/download.php?type=download&image=135806&section=2

Now I'll have to go home and check out some of their albums

17 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-12-12 21:38:24)

justsomeguy wrote:

Yeah! I get it! Not because I know the band or the album, but I have difficult to understand it so I googled ASAP. smile

Last night I scanned the rider.  It required 5 scans to get most of the nooks and crannies, and it still requires some clean up, but it's not bad as is, so I thought I'd share a couple of snapshots

Here is the horse and rider.  There are still a few thing that need to be added like the bridle, reins the rider's sword and shield, but it's 80% complete.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=10740

Post's attachments

Death Dealer Horse & Rider (incomplete).jpg
Death Dealer Horse & Rider (incomplete).jpg 230.15 kb, 1 downloads since 2017-12-13 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Looks amazing! Are you going to 3D print it and process and color paint it? I always want to do things like this but lack painting skill.

20 (edited by pirvan 2017-12-13 16:17:47)

yizhou.he wrote:

Looks amazing! Are you going to 3D print it and process and color paint it? I always want to do things like this but lack painting skill.

Yes, I plan on printing it on my Form 1+ printer, then it will be painted.  In fact I'll probably end up painting the printed model before I do the model kit.  It will be like a test run.

Can not wait to see the painted model.

Almost there...

http://soliforum.com/i/?rkw8dGr.jpg

That looks amazing! Well done.

Wow! Now I really want a 3D scanner!

It took you a long time to scan the model. I have no idea which step take most of your time, need repeatedly scan the model to get better quality image or post scanning process or the scanning itself took long time. My scanning experience is limited to 2D scanning, just want to have some idea what I'm going to get myself into...

yizhou.he wrote:

Wow! Now I really want a 3D scanner!

It took you a long time to scan the model. I have no idea which step take most of your time, need repeatedly scan the model to get better quality image or post scanning process or the scanning itself took long time. My scanning experience is limited to 2D scanning, just want to have some idea what I'm going to get myself into...

It depends on the quality of the scanner first and foremost. But the most time will be spent in post processing regardless of scanner used. Since the actual scanning is automatic and you can do other things during this time it does not really impact the overall time.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.