Topic: Solidoodle 4 Board fried?

So, the printer lights up, little green light on the board too. It just stopped connecting a couple days ago in Repetier, I changed usb cables a few times (As I've had cable problems a while ago) but that isnt it. I noticed that when I plug the usb in now, my computer doesn't beep now. I tried connecting in Soliprint and it said Com 4 not available. So uninstalled everything, then re installed. Now Soliprint cant find printer, and in Repetier it says its connected on Com 3, but the printer wont move or heat up. I also tried installing on a different computer with the same results. Is the board fried?

Re: Solidoodle 4 Board fried?

not necessarily the entire board, but the USB chip on it may be shot. I had an issue with my 1st SD4 and the USB not working.
on mine, one of the traces had failed. I tried to repair it, and it worked for maybe an hour or two...
ultimately I ended up changing the board to a Rumba, and have never looked back.

The Rumba is a solid board and easy to work with, but it is considered "old school" with only an 8 bit processor... there are far better alternatives available now, like the Duet with 32 bit processing, but quite different to work with. Not hard to set up, but different.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

heartless wrote:

not necessarily the entire board, but the USB chip on it may be shot. I had an issue with my 1st SD4 and the USB not working.
on mine, one of the traces had failed. I tried to repair it, and it worked for maybe an hour or two...
ultimately I ended up changing the board to a Rumba, and have never looked back.

The Rumba is a solid board and easy to work with, but it is considered "old school" with only an 8 bit processor... there are far better alternatives available now, like the Duet with 32 bit processing, but quite different to work with. Not hard to set up, but different.

Would an SD4 really require anything more than 8 bits? It's not like  a Delta doing a ton of fuzzy math on the side while plotting curves as well. Sorry I just feel that 32 bit would be an over kill for a Cartesian style printer unless it had more than 2 extruders operating at the same time.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Ok, so which Rumba board should I be looking for? and would this board work?http://soliforum.com/i/?OGZjy3Q.jpg

Post's attachments

board.jpg
board.jpg 269.36 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Ive taken the board out, I cant spot any burn marks even under a magnifying lens , is there away of figuring out for sure if its toast for sure. or is the fact I cant connect with it, pretty much make it toast.

the fact that you can not connect to it means, yeah, it is done. The chip itself could be shot.

the MKS board is ok - I have a kit printer that runs on one, and it does fine.
It is not a Rumba, but similar - an "all in one" board.

This is a Rumba.

http://soliforum.com/i/?fzLaiud.jpg

I see you are looking on Canadian sites, so guessing you are Canadian?
If the MKS Gen1.4 fits your budget, it would be ok. The genuine Rumba is a bit more costly.

Also, keep in mind that you will need to add stepper drivers to that board, unless you can get one as a kit with stepper drivers included... you will need a minimum of 4 stepper drivers - 1 for each axis - X, Y, Z & E (extruder) (the MKS Gen1.4 has room for 5 - in case you are running dual extruders)

A4988 stepper drivers are the most common, and will function fine on an SD4.
The only axis that actually benefits from finer micro-stepping is the Extruder - I run DRV8825s on my SD4 extruders, everything else is on the A4988s.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Yup, I'm in Canada and the MKS is just worlds cheaper, and available locally, which I'll pick up tomorrow along with the stepper drivers. So my next question, other than the wiring that needs to be done. I would need to flash or upload solidoodle firmware to the MKS?

We can help you with the firmware once you get the board, that's no big deal. The important thing is to grab a better PSU like a Supernight. I understand you are in Canada and shipping charges would be out of the question, but you want something like this https://www.printitindustries.com/colle … wer-supply

Many reported insufficient power when upgrading boards, so a little more :oomf: will give you a better experience. With the Rumba as well as the 1.4 knockoff you showed, it is recommended to run two +/- outs from the PSU into the board. This gives you consistent power and decreases heatup time. So basically, better performance.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

OK I can get a meanwell PSU , is there any point in doing 24v or should I stick with 12?

Stick with 12v unless your new board requires 24v

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

yes, stick with a 12v psu. the MKS does not need 24v.

this is what wardjr is referring to when he says to jumper two terminals together for the bed...this is for BED power.. main does not need this.

http://soliforum.com/i/?PmWJ9KC.jpg

this is a shot of the MKS on my kit printer... the endstop positions will be different for the SD4 (these are all on MIN), but this should give you a general idea of how things will look...

http://soliforum.com/i/?24gH6D4.jpg

oh yeah... you will have to figure out how and where to mount the MKS board... it will NOT fit in the stock SD4 board location... it is a bit bigger than the Printrboard

OK got the board, new PSU and drivers. Will it make much of a difference if I use a Drv8825 for the extruder? I have 4 A4988s that came with the board, and I picked up a DRV one just in case. Also which jumper setting do I use for the drivers(or under where the drivers go?)http://soliforum.com/i/?dGJ7RqT.jpg
Well I got some wiring to do firstly. And Thank you to everyone for their help so far. You guys are awesome.

you want all jumpers in place for all 4 steppers - that will give you 1/16 micro stepping for the 4988s, and 1/32 micro stepping for the 8825

the Extruder is the only one that really benefits from the 8825 - it is easier to tune out any moire - especially if you upgrade the hotend..
with the stock hotend it may not be all that beneficial

if you havent found it already, there is some decent info here: http://reprap.org/wiki/MKS_GEN

Awesome, thank you.  My next newbie question, my old plugs on my steppers went blue , red, green, blackhttp://soliforum.com/i/?f5b2XLd.jpg, does the order change on the MKS board? When I google wiring up of the mks it shows blue, green, yellow,  red. I've seen a couple other color configs too. So how do I figure out which wire goes where when I use the new xh-4p female connectors?

thelothar74 wrote:

Awesome, thank you.  My next newbie question, my old plugs on my steppers went blue , red, green, blackhttp://soliforum.com/i/?f5b2XLd.jpg, does the order change on the MKS board? When I google wiring up of the mks it shows blue, green, yellow,  red. I've seen a couple other color configs too. So how do I figure out which wire goes where when I use the new xh-4p female connectors?

What you need to do is see if you can find drawings are docs that show the not so much the wire color, but the phase names at each pin. Most are fout pins and will have some sort of labeling such as PH0- PH0+ PH1-PH1+ or Phase A- Phase A+ Phase B- Phase B+ they may not be in that order but the wiring must be changed so both boards have the same connections.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

OK, so I believe I have everything (temporarily) wired up correctly. How do I go about loading or flashing firmware? I'm presuming firstly I have to install the arduino ide 1.5.9 version on my laptop to work with the mks board?

yes, you will need the Arduino IDE... that is what you use to flash the firmware to the board.

you will also need a copy of said firmware, set up for your machine with the correct board selected.

Select the appropriate board & processor in Arduino tools and the correct com port... then upload

OK, so should I follow the instructions on soliwiki?http://soliforum.com/i/?SupQqOl.png

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\cores\teensy/Print.h:46: error: 'constexpr' does not name a type" is the error I get when I try to compile. any ideas what I am doing wrong?

you do not need the teensyduino - that is for use with the stock Printrboard.

you do however need the appropriate driver for the MKS Gen1.4 board... if you do not have it, I think I still have an link for it..

OK that explains that and yes please if you could post the link.

Here ya go...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzoHq … FlVTkhwWWs

Thank you smile

no problem. smile 

Please let us know how things go for you with this board. It would be nice to have the info for future users to have another option.