1 (edited by pirvan 2017-08-20 14:31:03)

Topic: New 3rd party Resin from ApplyLabWork

I think I found my new "go to" resin.   Yesterday  I tried a new resin from ApplyLabWork. They were kind enough o provide me with a liter of their resin to try and evaluate.

The company makes a few resins with properties similar to FormLabs resins, including a couple of standard resins (they refer to them as Modelling), as well as a flexible resin. From the looks of it, they plan on offering more resin types (Engineering and Specialty), but there no info on those as yet.

The resin I used is their basic Modelling Beige, which is pretty viscous, and looks similar to the FormLabs white, only a bit more cream colored (like vanilla ice cream).

The first test print was on something that I think is pretty demanding, one my Warhammer miniatures. The company provides resin profile equivalents to FormLabs resin, so for the Modelling beige I used White V1, and I printed my space Marine @ 0.1mm The print was successful, without any missing or distorted parts. A couple of minutes in a IPA bath, then out to dry for another 15 minutes. After that, it was an easy to handle non-sticky model.

I then removed the supports, which were still pretty soft, and came off without much fuss. It's kind of hard to tell the surface details because of the white color, but once the model was cured, I gave it a blue color wash to enhance the surface details, and as you can see in the photos below, this resin produces very high quality prints, on the par with anything FormLabs has to offer.

All in all, I'm very happy with this new resin, and for those that are looking for an alternative to Formlabs resin, this one will do just fine, not to mention that the basic resin I used, is only $60/liter, shipped. Roughly 1/3 what you'd pay FormLabswhich charges $150 + $25 shipping.

I don't yet know how harsh this will be on the PDMS, but as I progress with it, I'll post more information.

Meanwhile if you're interested in getting some for yourselves, here is the link:

http://www.applylabwork.com/products/de … /modeling4

http://soliforum.com/i/?sFnKOZu.jpg

BTW, this model is only 2" tall (53mm), and is sitting on top of a Tamiya paint bottle.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Re: New 3rd party Resin from ApplyLabWork

how thick is it?  looking at the the msds it listed 50 to 3000 cps. that's a wide range. for the saffire I need it to low viscosity.

I'll have to try a bottle of this to see if the Form 1 I over hauled is fully functional.  Been holding off since I need a vat as well. Might go with a z-vat, they are supposed to last longer.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

@ MArk
This stuff is almost as thick as FormLabs.  I don't have the MSDS sheets, but if I find the info, I'll post it here.  It's definitely a lot thicker than the stuff from MakerJuice.

@ Carl
I have a Zvat.  There are 2 main differences between it, and the original vats.  The body is made of polycarbonate, so it's not affected by IPA (no cracking during cleaning), and the bottom is made of glass, so you don't have to worry about scratches.

But as far as the PDMS is concerned, it will last just as long as any other PDMS coating.  In fact Sylgard, which is what the ZVat is coated with, will last about 75~80% as long as the original FormLabs.  But then again, Sylgard is cheap (about $35.00), and you can coat 7-8 tanks with one bottle.

I contacted applylabwork and here is what they provided.

Modeling Plus (Olive Gray): 1100cps @ 25oC

Modeling (Beige / Black): 1400cps @ 25oC, was tested on a bottom down DLP printer without much problem [heated VAT @ 40oC

Additional information:

Modeling Plus Resin, viscosity drops to 390cP when heated to 104oF/40oC [please keep within this temperature limit]

So for me to effectively use it in the saffire I would need to heat the resin as the optimal cps according to the developer of the printer is around 200 cps for my printer.

Well, for my Form 1+ printer, this resin is great, not only does it produce really great print, but it also cleans very nice and dry, no tackiness at all.

And the price is great.

For me it's a keeper.

pirvan wrote:

@ MArk
This stuff is almost as thick as FormLabs.  I don't have the MSDS sheets, but if I find the info, I'll post it here.  It's definitely a lot thicker than the stuff from MakerJuice.

@ Carl
I have a Zvat.  There are 2 main differences between it, and the original vats.  The body is made of polycarbonate, so it's not affected by IPA (no cracking during cleaning), and the bottom is made of glass, so you don't have to worry about scratches.

But as far as the PDMS is concerned, it will last just as long as any other PDMS coating.  In fact Sylgard, which is what the ZVat is coated with, will last about 75~80% as long as the original FormLabs.  But then again, Sylgard is cheap (about $35.00), and you can coat 7-8 tanks with one bottle.

So woild you advise getting a z-vat and recoating when needed or by FL vats when needed? I trust your judgement so I am going to buy a few bottles of this resin instead of FL resin for my Form 1. If it eorks I will probably sell my Duplicstor 7 DUV printer as the software is just a nightmare.

8 (edited by pirvan 2017-08-26 18:03:41)

carl_m1968 wrote:
pirvan wrote:

@ MArk

@ Carl

So woild you advise getting a z-vat and recoating when needed or by FL vats when needed? I trust your judgement so I am going to buy a few bottles of this resin instead of FL resin for my Form 1. If it eorks I will probably sell my Duplicstor 7 DUV printer as the software is just a nightmare.

If you already have a some FormLabs vats, use those, and recoat them as needed. 

Just don't use any IPA to clean them or the acrylic they're made from will develop hairline cracks.  I soak them in water and Dawn dishwashing liquid.  That does a very good job of cleaning it, then I simply let them air dry.  Don't use any glass cleaner either as it contains something that leaves a film on it.

A day or do later, after they're thoroughly dry, I apply the coating.  I used Sylgard which I bought on eBay, and out of that jar I got 3 vats the first time, and another 4 later.  I think I might have been able to get 8 total if I would have done them all at one time.

Anyway, the ZVat's advantage is that is made from polycarbonate and is not affected by IPA, and the bottom is clear glass which makes it more resilient scratches.  But if you take care of the FormLabs one, they should last a few recoatings too.

So get whichever you want.

As for the resin, I found that it works great for me, but then again, anyone's mileage may vary, so before you buy " a few bottles", buy one and try it out, then if you like it buy more.  They're in California, and ship for free anywhere in the US within a couple of days, which means you don't have to buy a lot of it to start with.

Good luck.

Did you ever buy any of the resin to try it?

I did and I have issues. Looks like light bleed. The prints are coming out with a thin layer of cured resin hanging from them like thin layer of skin. Not sure at this time if it is the resin or the printer. It is a Form 1 and my theory at this time is the resin is too thick for this machine and not enough resin is flowing back into the print area aftet a peel and plate lower. I may have to bite the bullet and by some actual Form 1 resin from FL to confirm the machine is not the issue. Or figure out how to thin resin.

11 (edited by pirvan 2017-09-04 23:01:29)

If anything, the ALW resin is slightly less viscous than the Form labs resin, not thicker.

Are you using the suggested profile.  For the beige, they recommend using the white v1 setting.

12 (edited by carl_m1968 2017-09-05 01:04:39)

pirvan wrote:

If anything, the ALW resin is slightly less viscous than the Form labs resin, not thicker.

Are you using the suggested profile.  For the beige, they recommend using the white v1 setting.

Yep I printed out the tips sheet and did exactly what it said. I still get layers of skin hanging from the print. I am trying another resin now to see if it does the same. Then I will try the clear I normally use with my Duplicator 7. I just want to see if the weird skins are from the resin or the printer. If from the printer that means the laser is wandering off on a layer or two and exposing a larger area around the model. I really don't see this happening on a random layer. If it had mechanical issues with the galvos it would happen on every or most layers, not a few layers. I also can do a dry print with paper in place of resin and see very clean lines from the laser and galvos. Maybe their resin is not so compatible with the From 1. As I mentioned I may have to by some FL Form 1 resin and give it a try to see if it works. If I can get this printer working right and confirm it works, I may sell it or sell the Duplicaotr 7. I really have no need for two SLA printers. I am not by any means a volume builder. 

The beige I got from them has the consistency of honey if I pour it in one corner it takes several seconds to reach the other corners and level out. I am watching the time between peels and I really don't think enough time is being allowed for the resin to fully flow back into the void left after the peel.

From your description of the problem, it sounds like what Formlabs refers to as rashing & ragging.  Take a look a look at the article linked below to see what causes the problem and how you can fix it.

https://support.formlabs.com/hc/en-us/a … nt-Defects

I'm pretty sure your problem is not related to the resin itself.  It's probably caused by dirty optics or dirty tank. Something is deflecting part of the laser beam, causing it to flare sideways, producing the cured scales/skins.

14 (edited by carl_m1968 2017-09-06 02:49:50)

I'll have to take a look at the optical path and see if it may be dirty. I just hope it's the main and/or the secondary mirror and not the galvos.

Update:

Well once I got home and looked, I did find a faint smudge on the primary mirror near the middle. It was only visible with my really bright LED flashlight. I cleaned it up along with a bit of dust and looks to be printing normal so far. Will know for sure in another hour.

pirvan wrote:

I do not understand, why you say, that ALW is less visous, than Form Labs resin.

FormLabs white/black/grey: 850 – 900 cps @ 25 °C (77 °F)
FormLabs tough: 970 cps
ALW: 1100 - 1400 cps

ALW is thicker than FormLabs.

...On the other hand, viscosity above 850 is still quite a thick compared to other resins out there, that are in 50-500 cps range hmm

16 (edited by pirvan 2017-09-06 16:07:53)

I was comparing the ALW beige  to the FL clear, since that's what I'm currently using. 

The statement was not based on any specs or scientific proof, just my observations on the flow of the 2 resins.  The ALW pours out of the bottle faster, and seems to flow easier than the clear.

BTW, where did you find the information on the ALW resin?  The MSDS sheets are pretty vague as to the viscosity of the resin (50-3000 cps).

I got mine directly from applylabwork from when I emailed them.

this is what they provided me.

Modeling Plus (Olive Gray): 1100cps @ 25oC

FYI, Modeling (Beige / Black): 1400cps @ 25oC, was tested on a bottom down DLP printer without much problem [heated VAT @ 40oC].

Additional information:
                Modeling Plus Resin, viscosity drops to 390cP when heated to 104oF/40oC [please keep within this temperature limit]

18 (edited by carl_m1968 2017-09-06 23:16:54)

ValentResin wrote:
pirvan wrote:

I do not understand, why you say, that ALW is less visous, than Form Labs resin.

FormLabs white/black/grey: 850 – 900 cps @ 25 °C (77 °F)
FormLabs tough: 970 cps
ALW: 1100 - 1400 cps

ALW is thicker than FormLabs.

...On the other hand, viscosity above 850 is still quite a thick compared to other resins out there, that are in 50-500 cps range hmm

I thought it might be. I remember when I had my Form 1+ the resin flowed fairly quick across the vat and leveled out to where I could see the fill level almost as soon as I poured. This stuff I literally have to pour a little and with a few seconds, pour a little more and wait to make sure I am not over or under filling. I suspect part of the problem I am seeing is that the the resin is no flowing fully back into the void before the model comes back down and the laser starts the next scan. So it is only getting a partial layer. The when the peel happens that partial layer is being pulled and folded over like a flap when it comes back down into the resin again. I have some clear non-pigment stuff that is much thinner for my DUV. I may see if it will mix with the ALW stuff and thin it some. I would use the clear stuff but it does not have an inhibitor and I am afraid the laser will just cause too much light bleed to get an accurate print.

It might work for a FORM 1+, but my FORM 1 does not seem to like it. Even after checking the optics and making sure they are spotless I still get these little flakes that are about 1mm larger than the object and about 1 layer thick at random layers. Usually in places that transition to a smaller width. I might also try and older version of Preform that is closer to the FORM 1's era before the 1+.

carl_m1968 wrote:

I thought it might be. I remember when I had my Form 1+ the resin flowed fairly quick across the vat and leveled out to where I could see the fill level almost as soon as I poured. This stuff I literally have to pour a little and with a few seconds, pour a little more and wait to make sure I am not over or under filling. I suspect part of the problem I am seeing is that the the resin is no flowing fully back into the void before the model comes back down and the laser starts the next scan. So it is only getting a partial layer. The when the peel happens that partial layer is being pulled and folded over like a flap when it comes back down into the resin again. I have some clear non-pigment stuff that is much thinner for my DUV. I may see if it will mix with the ALW stuff and thin it some. I would use the clear stuff but it does not have an inhibitor and I am afraid the laser will just cause too much light bleed to get an accurate print.

It might work for a FORM 1+, but my FORM 1 does not seem to like it. Even after checking the optics and making sure they are spotless I still get these little flakes that are about 1mm larger than the object and about 1 layer thick at random layers. Usually in places that transition to a smaller width. I might also try and older version of Preform that is closer to the FORM 1's era before the 1+.

Let me say this, I've observed the baviour of various liquids in the tank, and I can tell with a high degree of certainty, that the surface of the PDMS is always coated with resin, unless you let the level go so low that there simply isn't enough resin to go around.

The time it takes for the tank to dip during the peel process is too quick to even get any of the resin off the PDMS surface, much less it not "refilling the void".  If anything, that would happen with really thin watery liquids, not the slow, viscous stuff.

If what you say happened, then there are only a few explanation, you didn't add enough resin, or there's something wrong with the PDMS surface.  If you were to pour out the resin, does it run off, and bead off the surface?  If so, the surface has some coating on it that needs cleaning. The only thing  I can suggest to clean it with, is dishwashing liquid (I've used Dawn liquid).

The rashing you see is due to "stray" light curing outside the drawing path.  If you haven't cleaned ALL the mirrors, you need to, and tha includes the galvo mirrors. The larger the mirror, the less effect smudges have, conversly, the tiny mirrors must be spotless.  The tiniest spec will have dramatic effects on the print.  You should also clean the laser lens as well.

One other thing, since you bought this used, there's a possibility the problem is with laser itself, it could have reached its end of useful lufe, and it no longer outputs the necessary power, but that usually translates into prints that are failing altogether, since the supports don't  cure properly, and subsequently the rest of the print fails.

As far as I can tell a whole bunch of people bought the ALW resin, and NOT ONE has complained about it, so I can say the problem lies ekswhere, not with the resin, or its viscosity.

pirvan wrote:
carl_m1968 wrote:

Let me say this, I've observed the baviour of various liquids in the tank, and I can tell with a high degree of certainty, that the surface of the PDMS is always coated with resin, unless you let the level go so low that there simply isn't enough resin to go around.

The time it takes for the tank to dip during the peel process is too quick to even get any of the resin off the PDMS surface, much less it not "refilling the void".  If anything, that would happen with really thin watery liquids, not the slow, viscous stuff.

If what you say happened, then there are only a few explanation, you didn't add enough resin, or there's something wrong with the PDMS surface.  If you were to pour out the resin, does it run off, and bead off the surface?  If so, the surface has some coating on it that needs cleaning. The only thing  I can suggest to clean it with, is dishwashing liquid (I've used Dawn liquid).

The rashing you see is due to "stray" light curing outside the drawing path.  If you haven't cleaned ALL the mirrors, you need to, and tha includes the galvo mirrors. The larger the mirror, the less effect smudges have, conversly, the tiny mirrors must be spotless.  The tiniest spec will have dramatic effects on the print.  You should also clean the laser lens as well.

One other thing, since you bought this used, there's a possibility the problem is with laser itself, it could have reached its end of useful lufe, and it no longer outputs the necessary power, but that usually translates into prints that are failing altogether, since the supports don't  cure properly, and subsequently the rest of the print fails.

As far as I can tell a whole bunch of people bought the ALW resin, and NOT ONE has complained about it, so I can say the problem lies ekswhere, not with the resin, or its viscosity.

You are probably right. I just wanted to avoid having to tear it down again. The smaller mirror and galvos are near impossible to get to unless I take off the cover again. The laser is even more of a beast, but I know where to get new ones that are OEM new and not a bad price.

So I was doing some testing and I tried the ALW beige using their settings as is. I then tried thinning it with some clear I had. Similar results both times. I then tried some green Makerjuice SF stuff I had with much different results, still using the FL white profile that was used on the beige stuff. I got some interesting results. The main things are the flakes and scales on the beige stuff as well as the much thicker supports. This does suggest to me the issue is with the resin versus the printer. I am asking for some ideas and input here and not knocking the AWL stuff, I just need some direction here. Please look at the images.

I have torn the unit down and inspected/cleaned all the optics. They are impeccable. The vat is a new vat. I am at a loss here.

http://soliforum.com/i/?VPdV5I0.jpg

http://soliforum.com/i/?hRjGCr5.jpg

http://soliforum.com/i/?VcA8IRM.jpg

http://soliforum.com/i/?qV307l0.jpg

22 (edited by pirvan 2017-09-14 13:48:01)

I don't know what to tell you.  I think we would both agree that neither print is acceptable.  The beige one exhibits overcuring and rashing, the right one is undercured, and is lifting.

I don't know what is wrong, but there's something wrong with the printer, most likely the laser.  I had similar problems with my original F1+, only not quite as extreme.  In my case I could print fine with certain resins (like clear), but not anything else, and it was because of a weak laser.

Once I bought the new (er) unit, all my problems were solved.  I can now print with the majority of resins available, and I can also print at the finer resolutions which was a problem before.

As for the ALW resin, as I said before, your mileage may vary, except in you case, your mileage is terrible.  Nonetheless, on the FormLabs forum, nearly everyone that has tried this resin in both the F1+ and the F2, has had nothing but good feedback.

I wish I can suggest something, but I don't really have a good idea.

If you're really sure the optical path is spotless, then I would consider replacing the laser with another identical one (they're available).  I understand that each printer's laser was individually calibrated at the factory, and a a power level table is embedded in the firmware, but I don't think the deviations from unit to unit would be that great that it wouldn't work, so I would try a replacement to see what happens.

BTW, have you actually gotten any useful prints done with that thing?

I was looking at an exposure chart I found a while ago, and Clear v1, has the lowest exposure rate.  Try setting the software to clear v1, and see if it improves

pirvan wrote:

I don't know what to tell you.  I think we would both agree that neither print is acceptable.  The beige one exhibits overcuring and rashing, the right one is undercured, and is lifting.

I don't know what is wrong, but there's something wrong with the printer, most likely the laser.  I had similar problems with my original F1+, only not quite as extreme.  In my case I could print fine with certain resins (like clear), but not anything else, and it was because of a weak laser.

Once I bought the new (er) unit, all my problems were solved.  I can now print with the majority of resins available, and I can also print at the finer resolutions which was a problem before.

As for the ALW resin, as I said before, your mileage may vary, except in you case, your mileage is terrible.  Nonetheless, on the FormLabs forum, nearly everyone that has tried this resin in both the F1+ and the F2, has had nothing but good feedback.

I wish I can suggest something, but I don't really have a good idea.

If you're really sure the optical path is spotless, then I would consider replacing the laser with another identical one (they're available).  I understand that each printer's laser was individually calibrated at the factory, and a a power level table is embedded in the firmware, but I don't think the deviations from unit to unit would be that great that it wouldn't work, so I would try a replacement to see what happens.

BTW, have you actually gotten any useful prints done with that thing?

I have not got a useful print out of it yet and am about ready to put it on ebay as a parts unit. I will look into a new laser, just need to find a source for them. I was hoping to give this one a chance as I could use the larger print area as opposed to the D7.  I can't really afford the average price of a F1+ and this one I got for a steal but I may have been the one that got stolen from. The seller said it was being sold due to a resin spill inside. I cleaned all that out and repaired the tilt motor.I can't see nor find any resin on critical parts like motors or optics. So I assumed it was good now but I am still having issues and am about ready to throw in the towel.

So I downloaded an older version of Preform so i had access to the diagnostics menu and the laser spot test. There is a lot of scatter around the beam so there is still some garbage in the optical path. it has to be the laser lens so I am going to Have to tear down and pull the laser assembly again. I can get some fiber optic cleaning swaps at work which should work well on that lens. then i will check the mirrors and Galvos once more while I am in it.  How easy is it to tear down the laser and solder in a new diode?