1 (edited by fadilee 2017-08-20 03:02:05)

Topic: SD3 Y axis under printing?

Hi,

There's a problem with the Y axis. I printed a part with perpendicular slots (slots that run along the X axis and slots that run along the Y axis), and realized there's a gap between the infill and the parameter along the slot edges that are parallel to the X axis which means the Y axis did not travel enough to fill the infill all the way to the parameter.

I measure the overall size of the part and sure enough:

X dimension = 70.05mm (nominal = 70mm)
Y dimension = 69.50mm (nominal = 70mm)

This means the X travel is pretty spot on. But the Y axis travel is 0.5mm short over a 70mm travel distance.

How can I fix the Y axis travel distance? How can I compensate for the short travel distance of the Y axis?

Any tips are much needed and appreciated! smile

PS: Sorry for the many posts by me in the last couple of days...this is one of the last things I have to do to get my printer up and running decently!

Re: SD3 Y axis under printing?

First of all  insure your y axis is adjusted properly and belts tightened.  then test a couple of distances. if you have a ).5 mm error at all distances you have a backlash issue.

To adjust steps simple go to the eprom settings in rh.

distance traveled     current stepps
-------------------  = _____________
desired distance       new steps

Desired distance x current steps   =  New Steps
   Distance traveled

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Hi,

I tried that and I came up with 88.63 steps/mm for the Y axis resolution. So I put that in the EPROM and now the print quality went so bad and all over the place. I don't understand what happened. sad

So you placed that number in under config . printer eprom settings. ?? How far was this from the original number. Should have been fairly close.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed

5 (edited by fadilee 2017-08-20 21:43:24)

Hi, first, thank you very much for your replies and help smile

Initially the value was 88 steps/mm, but after I did the calculation I changed it to 88.63 steps/mm. I entered the value in Slic3r under Config-->Firmware EEPROM Configuration-->Y axis resolution=88.63 steps/mm

The first two prints after I changed the value to 88.63 steps/mm were a mess, I don't know why. The third print is very nice except that there are still gaps between the infill and the perimeter along the Y axis; the gaps are actually identical to the initial print when the Y axis resolution was 88.00 steps/mm. But the over all dimension along the Y axis improved from 69.50mm to 70.08mm which to me it's pretty much spot on (nominal is 70.00mm)

So it looks like changing the Y axis resolution to 88.63 steps/mm improved the overall Y dimension but did nothing to close the gaps between the infill and perimeter.

What do you think I should do next? Any ideas?

In slicer under print settings click on advanced settings half way down the page there is a setting for infill perimeter overlap . That should be set for 15%  check that setting you can try to up that to 20%. other than that make sure your belts are tight and d the y axis is properly set.

Tin Falcon wrote:

In slicer under print settings click on advanced settings half way down the page there is a setting for infill perimeter overlap . That should be set for 15%  check that setting you can try to up that to 20%. other than that make sure your belts are tight and d the y axis is properly set.

I concur Tin Falcon. My Slic3r overlap is 15%.

Just for comparison, my EEPROM Y-steps per mm is 88.23.

I changed the overlap from 15% to 30% with no change in the outcome.

I think I will tighten the Y axis belt and see how that helps.

9 (edited by Tin Falcon 2017-08-21 23:21:35)

I think I will tighten the Y axis belt and see how that helps.

Sounds Like a GOOD idea.sound like a backlash issue.

Tin Falcon wrote:

Sorry, but this is the absolute WORST way to attempt to compensate for a poorly calibrated printer.

In theory (and in my case, in practice) you should not need to use this setting at all (hover your mouse over that setting and will tell you the same thing). I have mine set at zero and have no issues with infill.

Start with the basics...

If you are having issues with the Y axis
1. Make sure the smooth rod clamps are tight against the frame, and against the rod - there should be ZERO play on that smooth rod.
2. Belts should be rather snug and aligned properly. (there is a video on how to align them) the tension between the 2 sides needs to be as even as humanly possible. (you don't want one tight & other loose)
3. the short belt from the motor to the Y connector rod also needs to be quite snug and properly aligned. (unless you have done the direct drive conversion)
4. Last, but certainly not least, lubricate the Y smooth rods for smooth movement of the carriages. a little 3-in-1 oil can make a big difference

Once you have all of that done - reset the steps/mm to the defaults and test - then, and only then do you make adjustments to the steps/mm settings.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Thank you for the advice!

Something is definitely wrong with my printer but I don't know what it is!

I recently did the pillow bearing mode for the Y rod. Everything was straighter and smoother (before, the Y rod bent a little).

I tightened the Y belt that connects to the motor, and the Y belts that connect to the carriages. I also tightened a bit the X belt because it was loose.

Now it just doesn't work properly! Not only it doesn't fill in the infills all the way to the parameter, but the whole print is a mess! I don't know why. Straight lines are printed with a break in then (like a Z shape). I don't see or hear any slipping but the whole thing is a mess. I might have forgotten to tighten all the belt pulleys, it sounds that is what is causing the problem. I just don't know. Everything looks so straight and even and tight, it doesn't make sense why the print is such a mess!

heartless wrote:
Tin Falcon wrote:

Sorry, but this is the absolute WORST way to attempt to compensate for a poorly calibrated printer.

In theory (and in my case, in practice) you should not need to use this setting at all (hover your mouse over that setting and will tell you the same thing). I have mine set at zero and have no issues with infill.

Start with the basics...

If you are having issues with the Y axis
1. Make sure the smooth rod clamps are tight against the frame, and against the rod - there should be ZERO play on that smooth rod.
2. Belts should be rather snug and aligned properly. (there is a video on how to align them) the tension between the 2 sides needs to be as even as humanly possible. (you don't want one tight & other loose)
3. the short belt from the motor to the Y connector rod also needs to be quite snug and properly aligned. (unless you have done the direct drive conversion)
4. Last, but certainly not least, lubricate the Y smooth rods for smooth movement of the carriages. a little 3-in-1 oil can make a big difference

Once you have all of that done - reset the steps/mm to the defaults and test - then, and only then do you make adjustments to the steps/mm settings.

A picture would help

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

I think Slic3r is messing up!

See this:

http://soliforum.com/i/?84DN3xP.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?SrDutbe.jpg

How wide is that wall on the square supposed to be?

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

I think you need to check the wall thickness  of your design .

1) I found the main problem: the Y belt pulley was slipping because the set screw wasn't tight enough. The allen key gets stuck in these set screws and so to remove the allen key I have to wiggle it which untightened the set screw. This fixed 80% of the problem.

2) The second problem is that Slic3r is acting weird. This square I was able to print with no problem a year ago. Now it won't even slice it. The wall thickness is 0.42mm of the square.

Also, see this image: Slic3r had no problem slicing and printing this circle in the past, now it can't even slice it properly. Why is that? The only thing I can think of is that recently I installed and uninstalled Simplify3D, could that have messed things up?
http://soliforum.com/i/?pijlBKe.jpg

17 (edited by Tin Falcon 2017-08-26 13:17:21)

You may need to uncheck your detect thin walls setting . to get that to print . That is a very thin wall . for a 0.4 nozzle iirc my extrusion width is set for 0.46 . You you likely have conflict in the math.
Irrational setting will play havoc with a slicer.

As far as the weird anomaly in that ring I do not know.

The thin wall setting is unchecked sad

for a 0.4 nozzle iirc my extrusion width is set for 0.46

Actually, it would be 0.48 - but that is kind of irrelevant - I have sliced things with 0.25mm for perimeters before with no problem, as long as the "default extrusion width" is set correctly.

@fadilee - would you be willing to share the stl for that circular item? I would like to test slice it and see if I can reproduce the issue you are experiencing...

If you think that maybe something got messed up due to the S3D install/uninstall (doubtful, but stranger things have happened), it would be easy enough to check... completely uninstall Slic3r (use CCleaner to remove any left over registry entries as well), and do a fresh re-install of it.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

Of course, thank you! See the attached STL file.

Post's attachments

Testing Roundness.STL 55.94 kb, 2 downloads since 2017-08-26 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

21 (edited by heartless 2017-08-26 20:18:04)

well... nothing wrong with the file itself (sometimes the file itself is at fault) - in fact, this is a very clean looking stl file.

I could not get Slic3r to reproduce what you were seeing, even with a wide variety of settings, including the default settings in the advanced tab (all 0's).

So at this point, I think I would go through with uninstalling Slic3r - clean up the leftovers with CCleaner, maybe even do a defrag if you haven't done one lately, then download and install a fresh copy of Slic3r.
Software does sometimes get corrupted - it happens all the time.

This was with the default settings... looks fine

http://soliforum.com/i/?w1NVBgT.jpg

I think we should be discussing which version of Slic3r is being used.  Some versions simply sucked!

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

I am using version 1.2.9.

Is this a good version of Slic3r?

i use 1.2.9 with no issues at all.

wardjr, on the other hand, prefers a much older version... wink

Well that's true, I prefer 1.0.0RC3.  1.2.9 is full of bugs that drove me crazy.  Although old, 1.0.0RC3 was the only version that did exactly what it was told to do.  1.2.9 did all sorts of crazy things similar to what you're experiencing.  Now I'm certainly no expert so take my opinion for what it's worth 2 cents.  It may be worth a try is all I'm saying.  Remember the older versions use .0-1 for a value instead of percent for things like infill.  If you use your existing profiles you'll get an error unless you change these. 

Good luck and as always
Happy Printing