Topic: slic3r prusa edition

Sorry, i am being extremely lazy tonight, google isn't cooperating. Apologize if this is a dumb question.

What exactly is the slic3r prusa edition?   Will it work with my modified solidoodle 2 (more or less biggest change is e3dv6 hotend + a night...something power supply + lawsy extruder)?  Is there anything i should be aware of?

The reason I ask is the standard edition seems to be on the verge of being abandoned and it is crashing my video driver (opengl something cant connect to display) whenever i generate support.  If i get past slicing my driver still crashes mid print....

Thanks,

Re: slic3r prusa edition

IIRC the prusa addition is designed to handle the 4 color prusa add on

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

3 (edited by heartless 2017-06-23 02:11:33)

the Prusa edition is set up specifically for the Prusa MK2 - it "may" work with a few settings changes, but you may have the exact same problems with it that you have now.

What Version are you using?

I use RH version 1.0.6 and Slic3r version 1.2.9 and very rarely have a problem

If you are using the stand alone version of Slic3r - you may want to try turning off "Background Processing" in preferences while you tweak settings... I found mine would crash if I was making changes too quickly for it to keep up with. Unchecking the background processing - then making my changes to various settings, then checking the box again to update to the new settings would keep it from crashing. kind of annoying, but it works

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Same version.  RH 1.0.6 with slic3r 1.2.9.   

I copied my settings over to prussa edition to see what would happen.  it seems there are a couple more checkboxes.  It generated gcode my printer is chugging through right now.  Unfortunately things are encased in support so i cant really say what the quality is yet.

While copying settings i noticed that extrusion width for supports was set to 20%.   Since most everything seems to be keyed on layer height and im printing at .1mm , I'm assuming it was generating spider silk supports and i didnt have enough vid ram to store all those polygons in previews.   

I changed it to .3mm (slightly thinner to the .4mm i have hard coded for most other values now) and it prusa edition generated support in less than a second.  I don't know if it was prusa edition or faulty extrusion width.  anyway we shall see.  Ill report back i next time i print something.

Now i know the software at least kind of sort of works out of box I'm anxious to try the variable layer thickness settings.

(Note: I have the early run sanguinolulu/marlin based solidoodle.  i read somewhere the prusa uses same firmware so maybe that's why it seems to be working for me.)

(note2: completely unrelated, but meshmixer auto rotates now on import and export and is overall much more polished than it was when i used it 2 years ago.  It is pretty quick and easy to generate the "twig" supports if you prefer that.. i ended up doing that when my large print was crashing out. Also you can create custom printer dimensions now if you want to plate things in advance.  It is definitely on my new toy list.)

Thanks for the feedback/suggestions.

yeah, video card ram can be a factor. I have a pretty robust card in my computer, plus 12Gig of main RAM - makes a BIG difference.
On the old computer things would crash frequently unless I turned off all visualizations - it just could not handle it.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1