Topic: Expert Model Case & Door

Starting to see a few people thinking the case/door might not be just for looks after all.
Keeping the build area warm and draught free is maybe more important than we realise.

Attn: Supportech

Any ideas when cases and doors will start shipping? Sorry if they already are, I just havent seen any pics or mentions of it.

Im a little worried that its taking this long to get them shipping. Are you able to elaborate on the hold ups in production for the those 2 particlular items?

Thanks

Re: Expert Model Case & Door

I have my cover, but I have yet to run a print with it on.

I think I'm going to make my own sides for the purpose of holding heat in, but I'm going to do it with clear acrylic like the front door, and either magnets to hold the panels in place, or hinges like the front.

I found that I like to reach in from the top and sides when unsticking parts, or grabbing some of the oozing abs from the nozzle with tweezers just before a print that would be too hard to do with the cover on.

While I'm not mad that I bought the cover, I really think I'd prefer a different solution.

I would like to have the cover as well, but with the Gen 1 I almost never had it on.  With the case on, I would want the printer elevated to eye level, so I wouldn't have to keep bending over to look through the door.  Also I don't like how little clearance there is between the top of the extruder and the case.  If you leave the printer heated and idle for awhile, the filament could soften and pull into a 90 degree bend going into the extruder.  Then S2 may be better about this since there is a heatsink and fan on the motor.

I like the idea of acrylic and magnets.  Maybe there could be a raised top as well so the filament can take a wider bend into the extruder.  You could also work a fan vent into the design as well for those who are worried about fumes.

I hadn't thought of the raised top cover.  I like that idea a lot, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go that route now.

I need to find someone in the mid Michigan area that'll let me use their laser cutter for this project.

5 (edited by jooshs 2012-09-05 15:59:49)

I ended up putting off redesigning the extruder mount, but one thing I was working on when doing that was addressing the right angle that may occur with the filament.  Maybe, this is a good time to get back to work on this.  I was going to feed the filament into the extruder motor slot at a little bit of a radius rather than exactly vertical.  This design will have to be ordered from shapeways since it needs to be ceramic, but will be quite cheap and hopefully worth it.  I almost wonder if it would be worth it to put a tiny fan up at the filament feed section of the extruder mount as to avoid softening the abs when the printer is idling as Ian mentioned.

Something like the tiny dc fans here...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#electronic-equ … ns/=j5sz74

I found there might be a little more to the metal case than I thought.

I made clear plastic sides and a top today that stick on with magnets.

The metal of the printer gets very hot during a print.  I like that it keeps the temp regulated inside, but I'm afraid there might be a heat syncing benefit to using the metal case vs what I was trying today.

My sides don't seal as well as the metal case, allowing some air to get out.  I can only imagine how hot it would get if I captured all the internal air.

I haven't run my machine with the metal top on it yet to find out how warm it gets, but I suspect it dissipates the heat better this way.

Do you have a thermometer or something you can put inside to see how hot it gets?  The hotter the better I would think, so long as it doesn't go past 70C or so.  You'll start to endanger the acrylic extruder after that point.  It would probably  be a good idea to put some air on the electronics.  If the heat is being enclosed, there might be more getting transmitted through the back of the case than there would be with the sides open.

I can report that the case and outside of the case gets to about 35 degrees C when on and printing. The x motor gets to 45, the y to 40 and the z to 35.

Clearly the air temperature inside would be hotter than this, but not by much.

Pointing the laser thermometer at the acrylic extruder yields ~90 degrees C, but its hard to know how accurate this is with the acrylic being clear.

All of these measurements were made in the last layers of an hour long print.

I have a fan on my electronics, you can see it in the post about my workstation setup.   I'll try and find a way to measure temperature today.  I've lost my IR thermometer somewhere.

I guess what I'm wondering is the metal case frame might get too hot causing other issues.

using http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/linea … _1379.html

a rise in temperature from 20 tp 40C will expand a 30cm piece of steel by 0.1mm
that shoukd not be a problem. there would be little stress since pretty much the whole box will rise in temperature.

Do you have a meat thermometer?  I used to keep one taped to the underside of the Z carriage on the Gen1 so I could look through the door and check the temp.  This was before I had a heated bed, and was trying to increase the ambient with a heat gun to compensate.  I never really tried it after I got the heated bed put in.

Hopefully those cases will start shipping next week like John said.  Since they don't need to be assembled or anything, it might actually happen.

Will the cover (of the expert model) affect the printing?  In all Solidoodle videos, the plastic filament is fed into the extruder from the top to minimize the bending. With the cover on, the filament needs to be fed from behind, causing a lot of bending.

Shouldn't the cover be taller to minimize the bending?

Thank you.

I use a sheet of plexyglass on the top of my machine, because I'm too lazy to take the metal cover on and off all the time.

The extra bending is not causing any problems.  I thought it might, but it has not been an issue.

I created a plastic bushing for the back hole to reduce the amount of dust that was being created by the filament rubbing against the sharp edges of the hole.

My case stays permanently on. The filament does rub on the top inside of the case but this just adds to the noise. I've even mastered filament changes without taking the case off. I also use Zimmer62's bushing design, which I highly recommend.

The case should stabilise temperatures and prevent uneven shrinkage and corners lifting.

Thank you for your information.

I am still waiting for my case and door as well.

I just ordered my solidoodle and noticed they raised the prices, the pro model is $600 and the expert is $700.
Originally i was going to get the expert model but with the $100 increase i figure i can get a 3x1 foot sheet of aluminum and bend it myself.

shabby wrote:

I just ordered my solidoodle and noticed they raised the prices, the pro model is $600 and the expert is $700.
Originally i was going to get the expert model but with the $100 increase i figure i can get a 3x1 foot sheet of aluminum and bend it myself.

Yes, we have raised the prices. Fortunately the base model is still the same price. This was due to operating costs steeply raising. The good news: Orders will be coming much faster.

Brad, we will make sure to get you that case straight away.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Thanks John! If you can, can you throw in another kapton square in my box? If you manage to get one in there, I will gladly pay you for it.

I can understand the price increase, and for such a great product I think an extra $100 is still a great deal.

20 (edited by kevin13 2012-10-03 21:43:23)

I have the case version. I am glad i got it becasue i wanted to keep dust and what not off of everthing when its not in use.
and case makes the light in it alot brighter

But i do think that there are alot of design flaws in it.

1. Like other users have mentioned the filament does rub on the top of the case and makes it significantly louder. I only printed once with it on and it was enough to annoy me. I have thought about printing some blocks to raise the case up the height of bottom frame so that the case still covers completely to see if that would solve that issue. 

2. not a big deal with the front door is. the magnet that keeps it close is just a simple 1¢ piece of sticky roll magnet. and it doesnt even stick anymore. im going to look at other solutions for that.
i would have liked to see those issues worked out for the extra 100 i payed, and you guys that are paying the 699 i would really want those issues worked out

3. this is only a personal thing, But i do wish it was black so it didnt look like a pc from the 90's,

this is jsut a side note for those interested but ive seen on thingiverse a knob that snaps into the hole, thing:30335
im gonna print that out tonight

Some small $0.10 neodymium magnets would be a good choice for keeping the door shut smile

Brad wrote:

Some small $0.10 neodymium magnets would be a good choice for keeping the door shut smile

I've superglued one to my door.

It's also how I hold the plexy sides and top on.

Can someone post a pic of there printer with the case etc on please?

Thinking I might get it powdercoated when i receive it if its a light color like grey etc

macmub wrote:

Can someone post a pic of there printer with the case etc on please?

Thinking I might get it powdercoated when i receive it if its a light color like grey etc

The case comes powder coated in grey. We have seen great results with users powder coating a bare case in green, or spray painting a case. Not sure about doing a second powder coat with the first already applied.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

Ive since seen a photo of the case, looks great but the color makes it look like a 1992 school special.
Im thinking ill sandblast off the original and go matt black. Would look great.