Re: Jr + Cura 2.3.0 + ThreeDub

hey guys,

I'm getting a weird error from threedubber. I have python set to the path on my PC and have tried moving my file into the threedub folder but have had no luck yet.

any ideas?

http://soliforum.com/i/?IkWZoTi.png

It's strange the error message if you have the bulb.gcode file in the directory you executed the threedub command from.   It does not need to be in the threedub folder. 
I don't know what the default command is so why not try
threedub bulby.gcode bulby.3w
And see if that does anything

I think you are using the command in root of your user folder, this is not usuall place for threedub  or where user file such as bulby.gcode is usually located.
before type in the "threedub bulby.gcode", use CD command to change current directory to the folder that actually contain bulby.gcode.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

54 (edited by mbooth19 2017-10-14 19:01:03)

ok i'll give that a try

That did the trick, Thanks!

It's still work with Cura 3.0.4

56 (edited by jdplus3 2017-12-20 03:22:58)

http://soliforum.com/i/?PrFhHvk.jpgI have to say I am very impressed. With no fine tuning, I just printed a small benchy at 60mm/s, travel 100 mm/s with decent results on a well used 2 yr old printer... in 61 minutes!

Post's attachments

169F2BDE-E279-48D8-A889-CE62AE72E3E1.jpeg 172.24 kb, 2 downloads since 2017-12-20 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

jdplus3 wrote:

I have to say I am very impressed. With no fine tuning, I just printed a small benchy at 60mm/s, travel 100 mm/s with decent results on a well used 2 yr old printer... in 61 minutes!

Everything stock configuration? That is fast speed without layer cooling fan.

(Da Vinci 1.0, Jr. 1.0 RAMPS, miniMaker) X4, (Creality CR-10S, CR-10 mini, Ender-3) X4, Anycubic MEGA X4, Anycubic Chrion X1, ADMILAB Gantry X2 (MonoPrice Maker Select V2, Plus, Ultimate)X4--Select mini X1, Anycubic photon X4, Wanhao duplicate D7 X1.
iNSTONE Inventor Pro X2, CTC Dual X2, ANET-A8, Hictop 3DP-11, Solidoodle Press, FLSUN I3 2017X1

jdplus3 wrote:

I have to say I am very impressed. With no fine tuning, I just printed a small benchy at 60mm/s, travel 100 mm/s with decent results on a well used 2 yr old printer... in 61 minutes!

Those speeds on a JR?  If,pleasepost your settings in Cura.

59 (edited by jdplus3 2017-12-20 13:54:06)

http://soliforum.com/i/?Gu3bLZ9.jpgWill do tonight. The machine is stock except I stripped off the outer plastic shell and I have cleaned the extruder 4000 times and re-ground the filament drive gears for better grip. And I don’t use XYZ filament. But I did use the stock cura settings for the da Vinci Junior and 0.2 mm layer height and the speeds listed no other changes. 200°.

I also printed a spiral Vase which is huge for Divinci Junior to print anything spiral. But I don’t think it supports micro stepping because there are two spiral lines going around the vase that I don’t think I’m going to be able to make go away by changing settings. Will upload picture later

60 (edited by jdplus3 2017-12-20 13:56:05)

yizhou.he wrote:
jdplus3 wrote:

My printers are in my basement which is about 40° right now so it has self cooling if you will. Note the terrarium heater in the back of the printer

jdplus3 wrote:

.... But I did use the stock cura settings for the da Vinci Junior and 0.2 mm layer height and the speeds listed no other changes. 200°.

What stock cura settings?  Can you provide your profile?

I've been looking for those myself.

mjf55 wrote:
jdplus3 wrote:

.... But I did use the stock cura settings for the da Vinci Junior and 0.2 mm layer height and the speeds listed no other changes. 200°.

What stock cura settings?  Can you provide your profile?

I have used Cura before with my other printers. I used the built in PLA setting that was the fault. I only changed layer height to .2 and the speed. Did you guys successfully install the da Vinci Junior profile?

jdplus3 wrote:
yizhou.he wrote:
jdplus3 wrote:

My printers are in my basement which is about 40° right now so it has self cooling if you will. Note the terrarium heater in the back of the printer

That make sense, assume it is 40F not 40C. I think cold temperature eliminate the need for layer cooling fan allowing fast printing speed.

jdplus3 wrote:

Did you guys successfully install the da Vinci Junior profile?

I guess thats the question, what da Vinci Junior profile?

http://soliforum.com/i/?gqjgdWY.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?mQwITEE.jpg

67 (edited by jdplus3 2017-12-20 23:29:58)

http://soliforum.com/i/?8MLgig7.jpg

Vase mode may never work correctly. the blobs that form the double spiral seem to be where it changes height, twice per revolution, rather than with micro steps

by da vinci printer profile I am referring to the da vinci printer definitions provided at the start of the thread:

davinci_jr.def.json

davinci_jr_platform.stl

69 (edited by yizhou.he 2017-12-20 23:36:42)

jdplus3 wrote:

Vase mode may never work correctly. the blobs that form the double spiral seem to be where it changes height, twice per revolution, rather than with micro steps

You might get better result by just print it in normal mod. lol.

But the print quality is pretty good if not having those blobs.

70 (edited by carl_m1968 2017-12-21 00:07:25)

Spiral mode requires two things to work. One is the firmware must support it, and the host must support it. Then the print will do the outside in a continuous line. That is the purpose of spiral mode so there will be no gaps on the outside. The final requirement is that spiral mode only works with one perimeter thicknesses. If your walls are thicker than one perimeter then it cannot do a spiral mode as it must turn into the inner perimeter at some point on each layer. Spiral mode is still in beta for the most part and was never intended for a final product, but more so to show off.

http://slic3r.org/blog/tip-printing-vases

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

jdplus3 wrote:

by da vinci printer profile I am referring to the da vinci printer definitions provided at the start of the thread:

davinci_jr.def.json

davinci_jr_platform.stl

This answers our question. The default you are using is from the two files in the first post. Now one thing I found strange was. I just downloaded the lastest version of Cura and after copying in the two files. My defualts were different then you posted. I did update them to what you posted and saved that profile.

Bozotclown1970 wrote:
jdplus3 wrote:

davinci_jr.def.json

davinci_jr_platform.stl

This answers our question. The default you are using is from the two files in the first post. Now one thing I found strange was. I just downloaded the lastest version of Cura and after copying in the two files. My defualts were different then you posted. I did update them to what you posted and saved that profile.

So just to clarify some:

The .json file defines some physical attributes about the printer, i.e.  Print size, nozzle size, filament size, some default GCode values, heated bed, etec..

The .stl file provides apicture of what the bed looks like.

Neither is a 'profile' in that it contains cura settings.  You screen shots show what you are using.  Thank you for that.

73 (edited by carl_m1968 2017-12-21 02:05:58)

mjf55 wrote:
Bozotclown1970 wrote:
jdplus3 wrote:

davinci_jr.def.json

davinci_jr_platform.stl

So just to clarify some:

The .json file defines some physical attributes about the printer, i.e.  Print size, nozzle size, filament size, some default GCode values, heated bed, etec..

Neither is a 'profile' in that it contains cura settings.  You screen shots show what you are using.  Thank you for that.

The .STL file should be the actual print.

Also i would be very cautious using profiles from other machines. Although the machine may be the same model some of the settings can actually very enough to cause failure on another machine. That is one of the learning curves in this hobby is that each and every machine is different and as such needs it's own unique tuning.

Just like each and every roll of filament is different and needs settings changed to accommodate it. Even if from the same vendor and same color.

BTW does Cura allow to export and import profiles? I only used the older versions and I don't remember such an option.

carl_m1968 wrote:
mjf55 wrote:
Bozotclown1970 wrote:

So just to clarify some:

The .STL file should be the actual print.

Also i would be very cautious using profiles from other machines. Although the machine may be the same model some of the settings can actually very enough to cause failure on another machine. That is one of the learning curves in this hobby is that each and every machine is different and as such needs it's own unique tuning.

Just like each and every roll of filament is different and needs settings changed to accommodate it. Even if from the same vendor and same color.

BTW does Cura allow to export and import profiles? I only used the older versions and I don't remember such an option.

Three comments: 
1- the STL  I am and other are referring to davinci_jr_platform.stl that is located ( at least on my machine for cura 3.1 ) C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.1\resources\meshes , is the image of the print bed that cura shows. 
2- I agree that setting need to be tweeked / customized, but a speed difference that was reports ( 60mm/s vs my sloooow 20 mm/s is a major difference and would be a good starting point for tweeking.
3- You can import / export profiles on the right side, where you profile is selected in the drop down box.  Press the drop down button and select Manage Profiles.

Honestly I would rather print slower if the quality of that vase and bench are what you get at those higher speeds. Those are pretty much only good for test prints and setting results. Now that you explained how to export a profile may be he can post his now. He like me probably was not aware you could do it.