Re: Jr + Cura 2.3.0 + ThreeDub

@Bozotclown1970 - Good to hear that it's going well enough now...
I always suggest to do 1st layer at 15-20mm/s max...
Btw I had my Jr always set to 60mm/s (+ Cura calculates automatically lower speeds for outerwalls etc)
With Jr and no part cooling fan lower speeds always was = to quality.
But with part cooling fan 60mm/s seemed reasonable to me.

In Cura there's quite a lot to you can adjust and tweak... Enjoy the ride! wink Totally worth it...

kr15,

thank you again for the info. I am trying to find where to set the speed for the first layer. I thought I had it set to 15 already. I will figure it out, thank you for the help.  smile

Can this be used with the Da Vinci Mini? Also if someone can post the windows directories that would be awesome.

On Windows there's pretty much the same folder structure but instead of /Applications/Cura.app/Content/... You need to go to C:/Program Files/Cura/....

daVinci Mini - never had one so... Jr is obviously different but not far off... I could try to make config file if you are willing to test it!
If you want to give it a go - please post any random .3w file sliced for Mini.
And I'll see what I can do.

Cura side is easy. ThreeDub is a bit different story - this never been my project (made by @Anthem) - any volunteers to dig into ThreeDub?!

Yeah, threedub doesn't do anything with the gcode that would affect speeds (just the G0->G1 translation kr15_uk mentioned), so I doubt that's an issue.

I'll say that I never had much luck with Cura, myself -- somehow I never could quite wrap my head around it, and I always preferred the control Slic3r gave me. It might have just been my lack of understanding, but I always got much worse quality prints with Cura than with Slic3r (over-extrusion, sloppy corners, tricky first layers, etc.). The only thing  I found Cura did better with was was dual extrusion, since Slic3r's feature support for that is almost non-existent.

Anyway, I'm not on a high horse here. If you like Cura, by all means -- I'm not trying to blame the tool over its user (me smile

But I will say that I doubt ThreeDub is your problem.

Anyone tried to downgrade from 2.2.7 or above with the Cura software?

http://soliforum.com/i/?tApIEaz.png

Regards!,

XYZ Junior/Mini Passwords Thread
If you are in a hurry and need your password NOW, or if it takes me too long for you, you can read the posts from 1851. I'm not going to be as effective as Bozo or Cgrillo, but you can give a try with me. If PASSWORDS thread follow it's current flow: asking for repeated passwords, not returning or false PACKS... I will end up with it as others before me.

kr15_uk wrote:

On Windows there's pretty much the same folder structure but instead of /Applications/Cura.app/Content/... You need to go to C:/Program Files/Cura/....

daVinci Mini - never had one so... Jr is obviously different but not far off... I could try to make config file if you are willing to test it!
If you want to give it a go - please post any random .3w file sliced for Mini.
And I'll see what I can do.

Cura side is easy. ThreeDub is a bit different story - this never been my project (made by @Anthem) - any volunteers to dig into ThreeDub?!

Hi KR_15, I'm interested in testing this on the da vinci mini (w), FW 1.1.4, if you're still able to have a go at it that is!

I've attached a sliced 3w model from thingiverse "Kaho_1.3w".

Ive tried to follow your steps above, however cura states I'm not connected to a printer. and when I use it as a slicer the covert the gcode to 3w via 3dub to load in xyzware I get the attached error.

Cheers!

Post's attachments

error.png
error.png 448.63 kb, 1 downloads since 2017-01-24 

Kaho_1.3w 3.18 mb, 2 downloads since 2017-01-24 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

@Velvet Mark
You can't connect XYZ machines to Cura via USB. Cura is only for producing .gcode files which then is converted to .3w so you can do 1. Print of SD Card or 2. Open that file with XYZware and do USB printing from there.

Error you are getting is because ThreeDub converts .gcode files into Jr .3w files not Mini .3w what you need.
Unfortunately I'm not behind ThreeDub project so can't help you with that. Forum member Anthem wrote ThreeDub but he officially stopped any future development hence his Jr is no more.
ThreeDub is on GitLab (similar thing to GitHub) so anyone can pick up it's development (even you) and do v2 which includes Mini as well.

Cura wise, you now can add custom machine into Cura 2.3.1 without tinkering with config files (I've published my config file edits just because some people were uncomfortable doing that themselves and preferred simple copy paste instead)

All you need for Cura config now days is just start and end gcode bit which you can extract from decrypted .3w file.
When you have all that simply add Custom machine to Cura, type in bed size info and start+end gcode and you are ready to produce Mini friendly gcode (obviously you still need to convert it to Mini compatible .3w file.... Someone really should pick up ThreeDub development...)

I do hope all that makes sense.

Hello,

Great thread. Very helpful. Thanks a lot for the contributions.

I have a Da Vinci Jr 1.0 (orange) and I´m trying to apply all things commented here (I use mac)

• I am able to install CURA and the STL and JSON files for Da Vinci Jr (Nice!)

• I am able to convert the gcode of a 3d desing to 3W using ThreeDub (Nice!x2)

• I have a problem while printing: the nozzle scratches the previous layer of the print, and I´m afraid to let it continue, for I´m almost certain it will damage the printer. (Not so nice)

The layer I set in cura is 0.1 (Also appears in XYZ software), solid print, base, normal speed.

I have not seen where to set the Z offset (which seems to be the problem) in CURA. I do know how to set it in the printer, but that config seems to be ignored when printing de 3W file.
If I use XYZ software I do nor have the offset problem, but get a not so decent print because of the XYZ slicer.

Any hints on how to approach this?

Da Vinci Jr 1.0 Firmware: 2.3.3
Cura version: 2.6.0
Threedub: the EXE file I downloaded from this thread (I use Wine to run it on Mac, and works great)
PLA from XYZ

Regards,

Jaime

35 (edited by mjf55 2017-06-27 17:56:52)

jaimemagana wrote:

Hello,

Great thread. Very helpful. Thanks a lot for the contributions.

I have a Da Vinci Jr 1.0 (orange) and I´m trying to apply all things commented here (I use mac)

• I am able to install CURA and the STL and JSON files for Da Vinci Jr (Nice!)

• I have a problem while printing: the nozzle scratches the previous layer of the print, and I´m afraid to let it continue, for I´m almost certain it will damage the printer. (Not so nice)

The layer I set in cura is 0.1 (Also appears in XYZ software), solid print, base, normal speed.

I have not seen where to set the Z offset (which seems to be the problem) in CURA. I do know how to set it in the printer, but that config seems to be ignored when printing de 3W file.
If I use XYZ software I do nor have the offset problem, but get a not so decent print because of the XYZ slicer.

Any hints on how to approach this?

Da Vinci Jr 1.0 Firmware: 2.3.3
Cura version: 2.6.0
Threedub: the EXE file I downloaded from this thread (I use Wine to run it on Mac, and works great)
PLA from XYZ

Regards,

Jaime

I am NOT and expert or even fairly knowledgeable, but 2 thoughts come to mind.
1- Does the nozzle scrape.if you use only XYZ ware?
2- There is a Z-offset setting in the control panel.  I am not sure if it controls only the I itial height off the bed or all Z-access commands.  If you decide to alter the settings, record the initial value in case to want to go back.

this seems more of a case of over extrusion than a z offset. The offset only sets the distance from the bed, not from each layer. I would try turning down your extrusion multiplier by .2 or .3 and see if that makes a difference.

It could be bad calibration on the extruder but without access to the firmware there is no way to check this or correct it.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

37 (edited by jaimemagana 2017-06-27 19:05:10)

Thanks for the quick response.

mjf55, answering your questions:
1- Does the nozzle scrape.if you use only XYZ ware?
2- There is a Z-offset setting in the control panel.  I am not sure if it controls only the I itial height off the bed or all Z-access commands.  If you decide to alter the settings, record the initial value in case to want to go back.

1- No, it does not. It works fine, but prints crappy
2- I thought of that, but the first layer is ok, I think. Does not touch, and plastic does come out. I might try raising it up a bit and see what happens.

Thanks for the ideas!

carl_m1968,
I´m a newbe, so bare with me here for a sec smile
I do understand what you mean by over extrusion, but I do not see that variable as configurable in CURA nor XYZ.
And as far of offset from layer to layer, I take you are positive about your comment on the offset of the Z axis not beeing applied to each layer. Did I get that right?

Because if that is the case, if the offset applies only to the first layer and no to the consecutive layers, then why does it not happen when printing with the XYZ software? Would you recommend trying a 0.2 layer instead of a 0.1?

Thanks again for the ideas.

I see what you mean. You suggest changing from 100% to maybe 85%?
http://soliforum.com/i/?wUV4A0K.png

jaimemagana wrote:

I see what you mean. You suggest changing from 100% to maybe 85%?
http://soliforum.com/i/?wUV4A0K.png

i would not go that low. very small changes make a big difference. Remember this is a multiplier, not an actual value. I would try 98% and no lower than 96%. If you have to go that low then the issue is in the extruder calibration. But in your case that would be the only way to fix it.

Why the offset works one way in one slicer and another in another slicer is always a mystery. That's just the way it is. Especially when using a host not designed for this machine. The stored settings in the firmware could override the slicer settings for one. So even though the slicer says move to Z offset the firmware could have an offset as well. There are commands that can be added to the start gcode that can change the sequence so although the firmware say to move to Z offset whatever. The gcode could then make an additional move once the firmware returns control to it.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Thanks for clarifying. I´ll try that and see how it goes. I´ll have to run some tests too on the "override Z axis" feature you mention on gcode. Instead of lowering I´ll rise it, so I do not damage the plate. That should be enough to know if it gets the parameter from de firmware or the gcode.

I´m printing a copy now of the file I was having problems with with the new settings. I´ll post the results later

jaimemagana wrote:

When I switched to using cura and threedub, I had a problem with the EXE version, it would not raise the Z axis when printing so it just kept running over the already printed layers. I had to switch to using the command line version of threedub from here: https://gitlab.com/anthem/py-threedub/tree/master

Sorry I'm late for the party.

Old ThreeDub versions were more like - slice with XYZware, convert .3w file to .gcode, edit temp settings etc, convert it back to .3w
Later versions of ThreeDub fixed couple of issues when slicing with NON-XYZware slicers like Z issue you've mentioned earlier.
Z problem is that limited Jr firmware doesn't recognise G0 command, only G1's where Cura and other slicers issue G0 command when there's a layer change.

To adjust Z-offset you need to edit start gcode. If you open .json file with text editor and search for "G1 Z0.350" - this was offset for my Jr but may vary for every single machine (you might need to remove and re-add your machine, not entirely sure if that kicks in automatically). Also I believe you can do Z offset adjust from the LCD interface as well, can't remember.

Hope this answers your questions.

43 (edited by mjf55 2017-07-22 23:44:15)

Since this is the Cura / Jr thread, I am hoping you folks that use Cura can help me out.  I spent the day trying to get a decent ( ok, good ) print, but failed.  It seems that the first layer does not want to stick, although I have no problems with xyzware.
Equipment:
daVinci Jr 1.0 (Orange) with firmware 2.2.7
xyzware v2.1.21.1
py-threedub running on a raspberry pi
I have kr15_uk's json and stl files.
I update my cura profile to match 1 of 2 examples that kr15_uk provided.

Attached is a comparison xyz and cura gcode ( after cura has been processed by threedub ).
Attached is the Cura printer settings
Attached is a comparison of the xyz and cura print.   On the Cura print you can see where the first layer id folded over and also stringiness in some areas.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I dont want to be stuck on xyzware. 
http://soliforum.com/i/?tLjsqJZ.jpghttp://soliforum.com/i/?zSz8s9m.jpghttp://soliforum.com/i/?0yQBWeA.jpg

p.s., the prints are the same size.  I guess the camera angle makes them appear different.

44 (edited by MTWallet 2017-07-24 16:21:18)

So Cura is setting your extruder temperature to 200C with the M104 S200 & M109 S200 commands, is this a valid temperature for the filament you are using? What filament are you using? If that is original XYZ filament, you might want to drop your temp to around 191. I think 210 and 191 were the only XYZ branded filament temps. I use purple glue stick directly on the glass bed on mine and have no problems with adhesion.

Also, I usually set my initial layer height to 0.2mm, and I slow the initial layer speed to 20mm/s and run 2 slower layers. (These settings are under the config option for "Speed".

And I generally run alot faster, more like 40-50mm/s for print speed.

Annd, what version of Cura are you using?

45 (edited by mjf55 2017-07-25 22:08:49)

MTwallet.  Thanks for the response.   EDITED this line.  typos in the previous version
I am using third party pla flament.  I have it set at 200 because when I look at all the other XYZ filaments they seem to use 200, even though the tag says 190. ( Using monitor mode )
I am considering a bed change from green frog tape  to hair spray or the purple glue, but the xyzware print had no adherence issue.

Thanks for your speed comments. I will give those a try.  I am running cura 2.6

Speaking of temperature, does someone have a pre-sliced code for a temp tower on the Jr, or a guide on how to do a temp tower with 3rd party filament?

Skelevader wrote:

Speaking of temperature, does someone have a pre-sliced code for a temp tower on the Jr, or a guide on how to do a temp tower with 3rd party filament?

In order to use 3rd party filaments on a Jr, you need to review the forums here.  They will tell you how.
Now for the temperature, looking at thingiverse, searching temperature calibration, I found this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1807517/#files  and it indeed has pre-configured gcode  with temperature settings built in.   You will need to use threedub to create a 3w file for the jr to print.

Now, back to my regularly scheduled cura problem.  ..

48 (edited by mjf55 2017-08-31 15:05:47)

So, I finally got a working cura profile.  I made a benchy that is better than the xyzware produced one.  ( that was my gold standard ).  I am doing one more 'torture test'  before I make the switch.

I have upgraded to Crua 2.7.0 Beta and here is the profile for my Jr 1.0

Post's attachments

daVinciJr10-fine.curaprofile 977 b, 38 downloads since 2017-08-31 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

mjf55 wrote:

So, I finally got a working cura profile.  I made a benchy that is better than the xyzware produced one.  ( that was my gold standard ).  I am doing one more 'torture test'  before I make the switch.

Thank you for that. I will give it a try later.

50 (edited by mjf55 2017-08-31 23:30:24)

Bozotclown1970 wrote:
mjf55 wrote:

Thank you for that. I will give it a try later.

My pleasure.  Let me know how it works out.  The torture test is currently running and looks good. 

EDIT:  Pictures did not do it justice.  I am happy with the results.  They are equal to or better than my XYZware prints.

So, I am now switched to CURA 2.7.0 Beta.