Topic: Moving on from Solidoodle

Well, it had to happen eventually.  After 3 years with the machines, I am moving on from my solidoodle as I have found a new machine that I believe surpasses it in every way.  The VORON is a recently released fully open source coreXY 3D printer that I have recently built.  Here is a picture:

http://i.imgur.com/wGyX1iw.jpg

It is bowden but also has options to set it up as a direct drive. You can mount a V6, volcano, or chimera/ cyclops (probably my next project).  I'm running a Titan extruder at the moment.  I love the autoleveling and my first layers look great.  The entire machine is VERY rigid.

My highly modded and nicely performing Solidoodle 4 will soon be posted for sale and I also have a mostly disassembled SD2 frame that someone will get for very cheap if they want a project.  I'm probably going to do most of my 3D printing browsing over at www.reddit.com/r/voroncorexy from now on but I'll still stop by here once in a while.  Thanks to everyone who provided me hints and tips on modding my solidoodle, I know I could not have built the Voron as a first printer.  What is everyone else's plans for their future 3D printing projects?  Are you sticking with solidoodle until it is a relic, or will you eventually move on?

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

Re: Moving on from Solidoodle

Very nice looking printer looks like it has a lot of potential. Good to hear it it going together well and initial testing is successful.

Are you sticking with solidoodle until it is a relic, or will you eventually move on?

I would have to respond with a resounding YES !    In some ways I have moved on  but ATM am keeping and using my SD4 mostly stock. Ido not regret getting a used S4 as a first printer. I learned a lot. My second printer is a prusa 2020 kit from Folger tech. Not that a prusa is my dream machine it is not . But it was a very affordable kit . And fairly buildable 

I felt like a kit build was an important step in the journey for me. ATM My next machine will likely be  a FT5. But will certainly  consider  the VORON . the prusa may be sold or loaned to the local maker space  not there yet .
At this point the SD 4 will likely be a working relic .  I use it but have fun learning the new.

A Caveat here while we all are seeking the ultimate printer this is an expensive and fleeing endeavor. As there will always be a new better model on the horizon. I have been told and have learned print quality take a lot of tuning and patience especially in the software. Every roll of filament is a little different and environment changes.  So take time and learn the machine you have and make the most of it. IMHO some folks have the hobby of building and trading 3d printers rather than really using them to print.
Even  though my focus is less on my solidoodle I plan on hanging here.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Tin Falcon wrote:

Even  though my focus is less on my solidoodle I plan on hanging here.
Tin

Same here.  Even though I've been printing with my Form 1+ for the last few months, I'm still holding on to my SD 3 for those jobs that are either too big to fit the F1+, or don't need the quality.

This was the first 3D forum I joined, and I don't plan on leaving any time soon.  Even though I'm also on the FormLabs forum, this is my "home". 

And now that the forum is no longer Solidoodle centric, there's no reason to leave it just because you found another love.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Im sticking with mine till it impossible anymore to do so. Doesnt mean itll be the only printer lol. Itll probably be the only name brand printer I buy unless I go with another style like sla. Its just to easy to build one yourself to get exactly what you want.

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm