Topic: Da Vinci to Ramps - bed thermistor question

I am almost finished with my ramps conversion on my Da Vinci 1.0, but I have a question: can I use the original bed thermistor, or do I need to swap it out? I've read several guides and threads, but somehow haven't found a definitive answer on this.

And just for sanity's sake: I've changed out the endstops, replaced the hot end and extruder with E3D Titan and V6, and replaced the LED strip with a 12v one. I also replaced all moving wires with silicone super flex wire. I'm using the original power supply and heated bed. I have an LCD but not sure if I'll hook it up yet.

Anything I missed? Thanks for any help or insights!

Re: Da Vinci to Ramps - bed thermistor question

Temp curve posted here
http://www.soliforum.com/topic/14772/re … ture-plot/

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Thanks. I saw that, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to do with it. Do I create a new temp curve in Marlin, or is that post saying I can just use the same setting as the original firmware?

Also, that plot is for the hot end thermistor - is it the same as the bed thermistor?

Thanks again!

You should use the LCD. If you go to a RAMPS. You will not br able to unplug the computer or turn it off during printing. The Da Vinci is one of the few maybe even only one that allows you to send the entire file to the printer.

The LCD however has an sdcard slot that will allow you to print from the card and making the printer completely stand alone. Meaning the only time a pc needs to connect is during flashing or possibly calibration and other servicing.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Thanks, Carl. I have the LCD, but I'm waiting for the 10p extender cables I ordered so I can find out if the LCD will work with the ramps mounted in the back of the printer - most things I've read say that the LCD doesn't do well with cables longer than 10 inches or so.

Whether it works or not, I will also have an RPi running octopi, so the machine will be wireless and not relying on my main computer. I just built a d-bot corexy machine, and it came out so well that I bought all the same electronics and that's what I'm installing in the Da Vinci. I find I don't use the LCD on the d-bot very much at all anymore. I'd like to have the LCD on the Da Vinci, but I'm willing to consider it optional if the longer cables won't work.

I did the ramps/lcd conversion to my 1.0. I was in fact one of the first to do so. I had no issue with the 10 foot cables and the ramps in the back. It worked great and I was able to sell it for more than what I had invested in it. 1 year later and the new owner is still using it daily.

That's good to hear. Having the lcd is useful.

Can you tell me the answer to my original question? Can I use the original bed thermistor with the ramps?

Thanks again!

8 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-05-11 12:17:45)

karltinsly wrote:

That's good to hear. Having the lcd is useful.

Can you tell me the answer to my original question? Can I use the original bed thermistor with the ramps?

Thanks again!

If you can figure out the table, as there is not one currently in the firmware for that thermistor.. I just dremeled out a small dimple in my bed and used a standard 100K thermistor on my bed when I did mine. Personally I do not like the stock location being on the edge as that causes the center where you actually print to be as much as 30 degrees higher than setpoint.

I also used a standard thermistor.   

I went through a few sets of cables before the screen worked. They must be shielded, no flat ribbons are going to work

Okay, thanks for the input. I'll probably just change it out like you guys did. I'll post what I did when I decide for sure.

robertf wrote:

I also used a standard thermistor.   

I went through a few sets of cables before the screen worked. They must be shielded, no flat ribbons are going to work

I used standard 10 pin idc cables and they work fine. I did ferrite suppression cores near the board though. I also used a name brand for my ramps and lcd called Rio Rand. They are supposed to be the best.

12 (edited by robertf 2016-05-13 05:17:36)

I used the sain smart stuff off the shelf from microcenter.  eBay for the cables and display stuff. Don't remember the brand.  Put it in the same location as yours

I did have one stepper driver fail but a trip to microcenter for a replacement fixed that

I went ahead and changed out the thermistor. I drilled a hole in the carriage and put the bulb right in the center of the bed. It is currently under the fiber mat, so might be too insulated from the heater and bed. I'll find out once I get it up and running and will adjust accordingly.

So, I have all the mechanical stuff done and the wiring is complete. I downloaded a Marlin firmware from jeeplvr over on voltivo, but it won't compile. Does anyone have a more recent firmware - or would you recommend just getting the base Marlin and configuring everything from scratch? If I did that, I guess I would need the steps per mm at the least.

Any ideas?

14 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-05-14 02:43:40)

karltinsly wrote:

I went ahead and changed out the thermistor. I drilled a hole in the carriage and put the bulb right in the center of the bed. It is currently under the fiber mat, so might be too insulated from the heater and bed. I'll find out once I get it up and running and will adjust accordingly.

So, I have all the mechanical stuff done and the wiring is complete. I downloaded a Marlin firmware from jeeplvr over on voltivo, but it won't compile. Does anyone have a more recent firmware - or would you recommend just getting the base Marlin and configuring everything from scratch? If I did that, I guess I would need the steps per mm at the least.

Any ideas?

If you are trying to compile with the LCD installed then you need to use Arduino 1.5.5 r2. At some point they decided to stop supporting older LCD hardware on newer version of Arduino so the newer versions cannot compile LCD firmware. Also make sure you have the G8glib library installed in arduino as well.  If you serch through my post history I have posted a precompiled version of Marlin a few times for my Da Vinci 1.0 RAMPS conversion. It should work with yours although mine is setup for optical endstops and not switches.. I trust you are not trying to use the stock endstops as the RAMPS will burn them out.

I will search for your firmware. I replaced all the end stops with regular opto ones.

I'm sure I have the latest arduino - I just updated a couple of weeks ago. Can I have different versions on the same machine?

I will search for your firmware. I replaced all the end stops with regular opto ones.

I'm sure I have the latest arduino - I just updated a couple of weeks ago. Can I have different versions on the same machine?

here is repetier that Im running on mine. optical end stops.   I think I had to use an older version of arduino studio to compile it.   I also have eeprom stuff disabled.  you may want to change that. 

http://www.flemcodesign.com/files/Repetier.zip

18 (edited by carl_m1968 2016-05-14 03:39:15)

karltinsly wrote:

That would be the problem.. the latest is not the best. You must use the version I stated if you are using and LCD on the printer..

Yes you can have multiple versions, they will install in their own directories with their own shortcuts.

Thanks for the repetier, Robert, but I want to use Marlin, since I have it on two other machines.

Carl, on the Arduino site, I see a 1.5.5 Beta and a 1.5.6-r2 Beta. Is one of those the one I need?

ah.  well good luck

once its flashed can you tell the difference in repetier or marlin?

I doubt if there's much difference between Repetier and Marlin as far as performance. I am just more familiar with the Marlin configuration files, since I've done a lot of tweaking on my D-bot CoreXY machine and Mostly Printed CNC. I've had Repetier on my DaVinci for a year and a half (flashed it two weeks after getting my DaVinci), but I only did any tweaking of it once or twice, way back when I first got it.

This is driving me crazy. I downloaded and installed 1.5.5 r2 Beta. It required me to uninstall 1.6, but that's okay. When it was done, I noticed the u8glib was no longer installed, so for the past two hours, I've been trying to add the library. If the arduino IDE will not accept libraries with hyphens in the name, why the F do all the libraries have hyphens?

As suggested by one thing I read, I renamed the zip file from u8glib-master to u8glib_master, and it seems to have added to the IDE, but I can't get it added to the configuration.h in Marlin. I added #include "u8glib_master" but I just keep getting errors like /Configuration.h:2:25: error: u8glib_master: No such file or directory. I've also tried "u8glib-master", "u8glib", and just "u8g".

What am I doing wrong?

Okay, so after another hour of struggling, I deleted the library, redownloaded u8glib, and it loaded this time! I added it to Marlin, and now when I compile, I get this error:

Arduino: 1.5.5-r2 (Windows 8), Board: "Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

ultralcd.cpp: In function 'void lcd_control_version_menu()':
ultralcd.cpp:920: error: 'lcd_implementation_draw_line' was not declared in this scope

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Did you select your board and port in the arduino settings?

I selected the board and I've tried both COM1 and COM4, which are the only two listed. The Tools>Port menu does not show the board along with the com port, which I think I've seen it do with the previous installs.