Topic: PRACTICAL ways to finish ABS parts

I have attempted various methods of finishing parts.  All of the acetone methods are not practical for [business] use because:

1.  The parts often end up weaker.
2.  It's difficult to maintain a consistent finish with the same process setting, across different parts.
3.  Acetone baths are dangerous to your body and your property, especially if you try to use them to clean 50 or more parts.

So, doesn't that mean, that the standard method of "finishing" parts (improving the finish), should be sanding and/or polishing?

I polished (ie. micro sanded) a part after sanding (ie. maco sanding) it and seemed to create a finish halfway between matt and glossy.

What is your experience?  After all the tinkering you people have done, what is the most PRACTICAL method of finishing multiple parts you've found?

-Aron
p.s. I personally like the 3D printed lines on the surface of my parts, but many of my clients don't like it on the parts I sell them.
p.p.s. I almost tried to blow torch the surface of my parts last night, anyone try heat methods?

Re: PRACTICAL ways to finish ABS parts

The acetone vapor is actually the most practical for large # of parts- if you can do it outside and wear a respirator it should be safe.  It takes something like 500C to set it off, Wikipedia remarks that you can pour it over red hot coals without it catching fire.  The steamer is only getting to about 50C.  I can't think of any way a spark is getting inside the pot, and if you are outdoors the vapor can get dispersed very quickly.   

If you are uneasy about using DIY vapor, you can look at getting a smoothing station from Stratasys which does the same thing for $40k.  If you are selling parts, it might be worthwhile because it will give you the smoothest finish with the least time and labor.  If you don't want the gloss, you can tumble it after smoothing.

Other than that you can try tumbling which doesn't involve direct labor, but it takes hours and isn't suitable for delicate parts.  After that is beadblasting or sandblasting which takes time and skill to get an even finish.

I sanded some parts of a flap wheel yesterday. Still a manual method, but easy to get into the contours.

https://bnnn72.ssl-cdn.s.mel.secureinf.net/Product-800x800/2f084d3f-4679-41b2-87b1-ef86bbec92fd.jpg

I do a light hand sanding after removing larger imperfections with a blade or jewlers file. Then a quick wipe down with a paper towel wetted with a little acetone. It does leave the surface a little glossy but smoother.

Where I used to work we had a acetone vapor cleaner that we used on glass and silicone parts. It consisted of a stainless steel cylinder about 16" tall. It had a heater bonded to the bottom and a couple of coils of copper tubing soldered around the top lip. We used a swamp cooler water pump in a bucket of water and ice to circulate the cooling through the copper tube. when the heater was plugged in the acetone vapor would come up to the level of the copper tubes and condense on the side. we would lower the parts in a basket into the vapor and wait 30 seconds or so and slowly remove it. As long as you didn't move things fast and kept the air drifts away you wouldn't eve. smell the acetone. It was pretty cheap and wouldn't be too hard to recreate.

TiM

I recreated it, here - http://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/201 … g-station/

You are right about not smelling the acetone, not even if you put your face right above the pot.  The steamer is a lot more convenient.  The pot took a lot of time to set up for a 30 sec exposure.  I wouldn't be afraid to use a heater on it now, so long as I can keep it from getting too hot.  Aside from that, it's just a matter of dumping ice into the water bucket.

Some other fellow once posted about just using a paint can with a paper towel wet with acetone, and held the paper towel to the can sides with magnets. Works well for me, but I only use this method for finishing every now and then. I think it really depends on what your definition of finishing is. Are we talkin' bout just getting rid of the layer lines, or are we finishing the parts to be used in appearance models? If you need to finish them to use for appearance models then using regular bondo or glazing putty will work well enough to smooth out the surface for painting.

8 (edited by nickythegreek 2013-02-23 03:28:20)

I follow a fellow solidoodler on instagram who does alot hand sandpaper and primer who I found through the hashtags.

http://instagram.com/gingerskull

nickythegreek wrote:

I follow a fellow solidoodler on instagram who does alot hand sandpaper and primer who I found through the hashtags.

http://instagram.com/gingerskull

Never met this guy before - interesting models with the Solidoodle.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

vince7c95 wrote:

Some other fellow once posted about just using a paint can with a paper towel wet with acetone, and held the paper towel to the can sides with magnets. Works well for me, but I only use this method for finishing every now and then. I think it really depends on what your definition of finishing is.

This is the method that I use, and it works well for getting rid of lines, as well as glossing up a lightly sanded model. Just takes some getting used to the timing.

...sativas are for smoking!

creationblur wrote:
vince7c95 wrote:

Some other fellow once posted about just using a paint can with a paper towel wet with acetone, and held the paper towel to the can sides with magnets. Works well for me, but I only use this method for finishing every now and then. I think it really depends on what your definition of finishing is.

This is the method that I use, and it works well for getting rid of lines, as well as glossing up a lightly sanded model. Just takes some getting used to the timing.

Wouldn't a Q-tip be easier and safer then a paper towel?

lotw_1 wrote:
creationblur wrote:
vince7c95 wrote:

I think the Idea is to attach the paper towel( soaked in acetone) to the sides of the can, and put the part inside, to let the acetone vapor(?) get to it without heating the acetone.

Schieggster wrote:

I think the Idea is to attach the paper towel( soaked in acetone) to the sides of the can, and put the part inside, to let the acetone vapor(?) get to it without heating the acetone.

Yes, correct. If you used the qtip with acetone on the model, it leaves a white residue behind. I use the qtip to apply acetone when I need to weld pieces together. But then I put it in the vapor bath for about 5 minutes.

...sativas are for smoking!

Schieggster wrote:
lotw_1 wrote:
creationblur wrote:

Can someone post a before/after photo of this method? I really like how Ian's DIY smoothing station pieces turned out, so does this method compare at all to his results?

15 (edited by vince7c95 2013-02-25 22:56:27)

charles.elliott wrote:
Schieggster wrote:
lotw_1 wrote:

Can someone post a before/after photo of this method? I really like how Ian's DIY smoothing station pieces turned out, so does this method compare at all to his results?

You guys are correct in understanding the method I was trying to describe. Unfortunately I do not have any before or after shots. I do have one item handy here that I used this method of finishing on and another of the same part that was left unfinished. I'll post the two pics in a bit.

Ian's method probably works way faster. I chose not to use his method though after trying it out outside, but the smell was worrying me as my house is on the main route kids take to walk to school, and I was worried the parents would complain to the city or something. The paint can method seems to work best when I put the part in for a few minutes then pull it out to dry. Then put it back in for a few minutes then pull out again. I do this until the surface is how I want it. You have to adjust the time the part sits in the vapor according to its size and/or features. What I like about this method is I have more control over how much the surface is altered by the vapor. I can also do this finishing in my room and not smell any vapor fumes as the paint can lid seems to do a decent job of sealing even if I don't push the lid on all the way.

First two pics are of part using the paint can method. The second pair of pics are of the part left unfinished.

Post's attachments

PICT0148.JPG
PICT0148.JPG 58.16 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

PICT0149.JPG
PICT0149.JPG 66.87 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

PICT0151.JPG
PICT0151.JPG 68.6 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

PICT0152.JPG
PICT0152.JPG 65.42 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

vince7c95 wrote:
charles.elliott wrote:
Schieggster wrote:

You guys are correct in understanding the method I was trying to describe. Unfortunately I do not have any before or after shots. I do have one item handy here that I used this method of finishing on and another of the same part that was left unfinished. I'll post the two pics in a bit.

Ian's method probably works way faster. I chose not to use his method though after trying it out outside, but the smell was worrying me as my house is on the main route kids take to walk to school, and I was worried the parents would complain to the city or something. The paint can method seems to work best when I put the part in for a few minutes then pull it out to dry. Then put it back in for a few minutes then pull out again. I do this until the surface is how I want it. You have to adjust the time the part sits in the vapor according to its size and/or features. What I like about this method is I have more control over how much the surface is altered by the vapor. I can also do this finishing in my room and not smell any vapor fumes.

First two pics are of part using the paint can method. The second pair of pics are of the part left unfinished.

Wow those really look great. I have a bunch of acetone right in front of me but no paint can, so I wont be able to test it out today. In the meantime would you mind answering a few questions I have about this:

How much acetone do you use per few-minute-session?
Do you reapply acetone between pulling the piece out?
On average how long does the process take?
What do you mean by "drying"? Is this allowing the piece to dry or harden?
Is there any noticeable amount of drooping due to the process?
Is there any problem with the piece sticking to the bottom of the can?

I hope to get mine up and running tomorrow or the next day, and any questions that you don't answer I will try and answer myself once I get mine.

17 (edited by vince7c95 2013-02-25 23:24:33)

*I don't have a set amount that I use for time durations. I just put the paper towel inside the can held with magnets. Then pour in some acetone that would look like to be the right amount to get all soaked up into the paper towel. I try not to have any pooling at the bottom. So paper towel is soaked enough to be fully coated, but not so soaked that I get pooling at the bottom of the can. As long as the paper towel is good and wet I figure it's good to go. (roll the can around so that the liquid gets all soaked up by the paper towel)

*I only reapply if the paper towel looks to be drying out. I tend to use the inside temp of the can to gauge this as well. So once you put acetone in the can and get the paper towel all saturated, reach your hand inside and without touching anything feel the temp. It'll be pretty cool in there. As long as the can feels that cool inside I figure it good to go.

I have no average really, I take a guess on the fly judging by how big the part is, if it has complex or thin features. For instance that extruder fan mount got left in the can for too long when I was first trying this out. The thin wall that separates the extruder nozzle from the fan had started to droop a little. I guess when I think about it maybe for complex things I'll put them in for about 5 to 8 minutes at a time, and for simple shapes 15 minutes at a time. I'll do this cycle of letting them sit in vapor and then in fresh air however many times until I get what surface I like, but you can cross the line of it looking good and going too far. So it really depends on the object you're sticking in there. If you really want to be cautious I would just put it in for 5 minutes at a time and adjust from your own results.

*I just mean pull out the part so that it sits in fresh air for a bit. This helps to keep the part from accelerating into a droopy state. If you leave the part in for too long it seems it become gummy like a gummy bear, then starts drooping, and then takes forever to dry out/harden. Letting it dry out every few minutes also makes it easier for you to get the surface you desire without overdoing it.

*Drooping will occur if you leave the part in for too long. You'll have to experiment with what's a good amount of time for letting your part sit in the vapor. Even the solid simple shapes will succumb to this if left in for too long at a time.

*I put the piece on a metal bracket the keeps it up off the bottom of the can just in case excess pooling occurs in the can, even though I try to avoid putting that much in there. I don't have issues with the part sticking, but I suppose it could happen.

vince7c95 wrote:

*I don't have a set amount that I use for time durations. I just put the paper towel inside the can held with magnets. Then pour in some acetone that would look like to be the right amount to get all soaked up into the paper towel. I try not to have any pooling at the bottom. So paper towel is soaked enough to be fully coated, but not so soaked that I get pooling at the bottom of the can. As long as the paper towel is good and wet I figure it's good to go. (roll the can around so that the liquid gets all soaked up by the paper towel)

*I only reapply if the paper towel looks to be drying out. I tend to use the inside temp of the can to gauge this as well. So once you put acetone in the can and get the paper towel all saturated, reach your hand inside and without touching anything feel the temp. It'll be pretty cool in there. As long as the can feels that cool inside I figure it good to go.

I have no average really, I take a guess on the fly judging by how big the part is, if it has complex or thin features. For instance that extruder fan mount got left in the can for too long when I was first trying this out. The thin wall that separates the extruder nozzle from the fan had started to droop a little. I guess when I think about it maybe for complex things I'll put them in for about 5 to 8 minutes at a time, and for simple shapes 15 minutes at a time. I'll do this cycle of letting them sit in vapor and then in fresh air however many times until I get what surface I like, but you can cross the line of it looking good and going too far. So it really depends on the object you're sticking in there. If you really want to be cautious I would just put it in for 5 minutes at a time and adjust from your own results.

*I just mean pull out the part so that it sits in fresh air for a bit. This helps to keep the part from accelerating into a droopy state. If you leave the part in for too long it seems it become gummy like a gummy bear, then starts drooping, and then takes forever to dry out/harden. Letting it dry out every few minutes also makes it easier for you to get the surface you desire without overdoing it.

*Drooping will occur if you leave the part in for too long. You'll have to experiment with what's a good amount of time for letting your part sit in the vapor. Even the solid simple shapes will succumb to this if left in for too long at a time.

*I put the piece on a metal bracket the keeps it up off the bottom of the can just in case excess pooling occurs in the can, even though I try to avoid putting that much in there. I don't have issues with the part sticking, but I suppose it could happen.

Great. I am starting a shopping list for this project and so far I am at:
ABS printed part
Paint Can
Magnets (rare earth?)
Acetone
"Metal Bracket"
Paper Towels

My final questions are regarding what kind of magnets and how many you use, along with what you mean by metal bracket, and if there is anything you think I am missing from this list. Thanks for all of this information.

19 (edited by vince7c95 2013-02-26 03:35:11)

I use the rare earth magnets just because those are what I already have on hand. I imagine any magnet should be fine. The metal bracket was just some random bracket I grabbed from the wood construction section of home depot. It was just something I could place my printed part onto so that it was elevated from the bottom of the can. The bracket does seem to prevent the vapor from doing its job on the bottom side of the part since it's covered by the bracket, so you may want to try wire mesh or something to allow the vapors to reach the bottom-side, but then that may leave a mesh texture on the bottom of your printed part.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/---aq1AkPzXg/USy8kNH3RUI/AAAAAAAAAo0/e00fr6gJXGU/s902/Photo+Feb+26%2C+7+48+01+AM.jpg

Well I say dont use a brush and modelers paint! LMAO

I will rattle can it today and see how it looks
Maybe get a modelers airbrush kit?

SD2 owner- Surestepr, filament holder,QUBD servo and heaters, glass bed
Print for fun and for parts for my sports cars
current car is 88 IROC

I like the paint can idea. Maybe a little simplier.

Can you use tupperware with acetone? Otherwise get a small pot, get a small kitchen strainer or soap rack wash rack etc from the dollar store flip it upside for your part stand.

pot
soak paper towel on bottom
flipped stand
place part in there
put lid on

current car is 88 IROC

Using a brush is still doable, though it is more of a pain

Post's attachments

PICT0112.JPG
PICT0112.JPG 940.32 kb, 4 downloads since 2013-02-26 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

That is NICE, vince!

Wow, what is that?

Wow that is really nice, how many coats? primer?
was it just sanded and painted or you vapor wash it too?

current car is 88 IROC