Re: PRACTICAL ways to finish ABS parts

Some guy is using his HBP and a jar, there's a video too.  Basically using the same method of the presto but for a little cheaper.

http://www.3ders.org/articles/20130226- … vapor.html

27 (edited by vince7c95 2013-02-26 16:46:56)

jjcuff1 wrote:

Wow that is really nice, how many coats? primer?
was it just sanded and painted or you vapor wash it too?

This was a project for school in my sustainability class. The assignment was to design a product that could be handed down through the generations, or be a product that can utilize it's extended lifespan due to the nature of the product and its material. This was a modular concept where the bottle grows with the user. From being a baby bottle to a double wall insulated thermos, it can be utilized for more life stages of an individual's life. It would also help to cut down on the environmental cost of transportation of stainless steel products from china as more uses are designed into the thermos to replace other items.

No acetone bath was used. Just some sanding and a lot of glazing putty. Several coats of primer and a couple coats of stainless steel paint. I had brushed the paint on trying to get a brushed stainless steel look, but it didn't work out. Spraying is definitely a lot easier. I can't remember how many times I sanded down the paint trying to get the brushed look.

This is also the very first real project print that I printed out of the machine just after getting it. Was pretty happy it came when it did as it was just in the nick of time for the model build.

That is really nice. Yes you can tell by the finished you had to use filler and lots of prep work. It looks great and your sustainability concept is great.

I was looking to paint small thins like phone cases brackets etc. Just simple aluminum look or primary colors. I was hopping some auto primer with filler, sand, then color top coat maybe a clear coat all rattle cans. (no air brush) would give a good look

(no clay)

SD2 owner- Surestepr, filament holder,QUBD servo and heaters, glass bed
Print for fun and for parts for my sports cars
current car is 88 IROC

vince7c95 wrote:

Using a brush is still doable, though it is more of a pain

Crap that's nice

vince7c95 wrote:

Using a brush is still doable, though it is more of a pain

VERY Nice!!!!!

...sativas are for smoking!

Thanks guys, that is good to hear. Kinda gives me the motivation to go back and rework it. I tend to be more function based in my concepts and aesthetics tends to take a back seat in my thinking. And though my concept was strong enough to carry me through the class, they were not too happy with the bottle's silhouette.

I am obsessed about process repeatability, because I am shipping 3D Printed parts to clients.

Based on my engineering background: the paint can with paper towels attached via magnets sounds like the best answer so far.

It could perhaps be improved further, if someone can think of a simple way to move the vapors though the system.

For making a steady stream of vapors go INTO the system, we might attach the towel to a small container of acetone via a small diameter "wick" touching the towel, so that it will always stays the same wetness.

For making a steady stream of vapors come OUT of the system, we should create a structured way for the fumes to exit the chamber.  Is there a material or apparatus, that preferentially absorbs/removes the acetone in a consistent manor?

You could simply drain the vapors into a chamber that is lower and chilled so they condense when they get there.

Aron wrote:

For making a steady stream of vapors come OUT of the system, we should create a structured way for the fumes to exit the chamber.  Is there a material or apparatus, that preferentially absorbs/removes the acetone in a consistent manor?

Temperature. At 55C (30C above a 25C ambient), acetone has a vapor pressure of 1000mmHg. At 10C (15C below ambient), acetone has a vapor pressure of 100mmHg.

Put a peltier on the bottom of the paint can, with a heatsink on the other side of the peltier. Power the peltier. Reverse polarity to chill the vapors once done smoothing.

If you are getting peltiers involved, you might be able to use one to chill the top of the container.  This would keep the vapor inside the container without needing to seal it and possibly create dangerous high pressure.

So I finally got my rig set up and my results are mixed.http://i.imgur.com/pfCgZkM.jpg

The bottom of the print smoothed way more than the top did, and there was a lot of sticking to the bottom of the metal can. It took approximately 1 hour to get this result, doing approx 12 minutes in, followed by 3 minutes out four times in a row.

The top is a little bit more glossy than it was coming out of the printer, but the bottom of the print was almost entirely smooth. Does anyone have any ideas how to change this to get a more uniform result?

This is the problem with the room temperature acetone.  There isn't much convection or pressure, so the vapor stays in the bottom of the container.  Warming it gets it to spread out more.  Soaking the towel gets the vapor to originate higher up and drop down, but the quantity of the vapor is still low.  You might try setting the print in a smaller pot inside the can and then pouring acetone around it so the print is mostly below the surface of the liquid.

Or why cant you rotate the part as you do multiple dips?

SD2 owner- Surestepr, filament holder,QUBD servo and heaters, glass bed
Print for fun and for parts for my sports cars
current car is 88 IROC

So after some further investigation I see that where the acetone has smoothed the print has less to do with the height of the print and more to do with the curvature of it. The steeper/more-vertical a slope is the more it has smoothed and glossy, while the tops of all of the spheres are clearly defined lines made by the 3d printer.
http://i.imgur.com/p8owrGc.jpg
I will do another test on a tall vertical wall to see if I get better results with a more consistent slope.

There is more stepping in gradual curves to it take more melting than mostly smooth walls.  You can get good results by sanding it with 80 or 120 grit sandpaper first. It will take some material off fast and give you a head start.   The melting will fill in the scratches from the rough paper.

I've made an acetone  polishing station using an old cofee maker. It's more convenient because it's cheap and you could see directly the results, in order to stop the polishing process when you desire (because you could see thru the glass whats happend).
I notice that the exposure time depends on the quantity of acetone and the size of the object. Usually it takes 15-20 min.

Post's attachments

DSC_0070.jpg
DSC_0070.jpg 593.99 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

filtru1.jpg 850.34 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

filtru2.jpg
filtru2.jpg 718.54 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

result finishing.jpg
result finishing.jpg 628.73 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
“The majority believes that everything hard to comprehend must be very profound. This is incorrect.
What is hard to understand is what is immature, unclear and often false.
The highest wisdom is simple and passes through the brain directly into the heart.”
(Viktor Schauberger)

42 (edited by Leghk 2013-07-16 00:14:40)

I came across The Touch-Up on Indiegogo the other day, a clean-looking take on the smoothing station.

Edit: Oh yeah, it was here in the forums at http://www.soliforum.com/topic/3099/the-touchup/

Don: Folger Tech 2020 Kossel Rev A + Borosilicate + Snow Effector
        Davinci 1.0 + Repetier : Filastruder
        SD3 + RAMPS + Lawsy Carriages + E3D + Borosilicate + ... : Cupcake