Topic: XYZ Da vinci Jr heated bed ?

Hi guys

i got a XYZ Da vinci Jr comming to me in the next week or so, and i was wondering, if anyone has fitted a heated bed to it ? and if not do you guys think it is possible / needed?

Re: XYZ Da vinci Jr heated bed ?

You can indeed install a heated bed but you may need to do some modifications. It is an almost certainty that if you are going to be printing ABS you will require one.

Great ! do you have any ideas on what kind of mods would be required? seeing the filament hack has got me thinking of abs on this printer

I would be interested in this too, unfortunately it seems nobody is helping out ;(. They are too with their nfc crap that a repetier port would've easily solved.

The issue you will run into is the need to externally power and control such a bed as the parts needed to do this are not populated on the mainboard so eve a complete port of Repetier would not help in this case..

Honestly I would just gut the machine and replace the controller and LCD with a RAMPS or controller of your choice and be done with it..

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

could be done but it would be too much work not worth the time

7 (edited by 81TTA 2016-03-15 06:43:50)

jakecrowley wrote:

I would be interested in this too, unfortunately it seems nobody is helping out ;(. They are too with their nfc crap that a repetier port would've easily solved.

Sorry if this comes across as too harsh.  And, I understand if the mods want to kick me out after this.  But, it's getting a little much over multiple threads.......  So, imagine in my best jakecrowley voice : "I want, I want, I want, I want. Me, me, me, me....  I want NFC hack.  I want Repetier port.  I want heated bed.  I want someone else to figure it all out.  I don't want to pay for any of it. (Jr Hack thread post 207/219) Whatever anyone else is doing that I don't want is crap.....  Well, unless I said I liked the idea of the NFC hack when it first started. (Jr Hack thread post 247)  But then, decided I didn't like it because I'd have to pay for some hardware (Jr Hack thread post 267).  Why isn't everyone putting their time/effort into giving me what I want?  Why are they working, and getting results, on things based on putting their hardware/time/money at risk? (XYZlen actually bricked his Jr to further the Repetier effort.  I bricked NFC chips learning how to update the length correctly.  Greatone76 probably bought big $$ hardware to simulate NFCs to help decipher the NFC crypto algos.  Granted, he's also making a buck.  So, maybe not 100% altruistic.  But, give him credit that he has been posting UID/Password combos by request to help others, too.)" 

We get it.  It's all about you.  Here's a suggestion...  Either start working on some solutions or sit there (quietly would probably be preferred) until someone else gets the work done.  You complain you don't know how anything works to be much help.  With the time that's gone by, you could have been learning about the controller chips or the existing Davinci Repetier ports or documenting wiring connections from the Jr's controller to the peripherals.  It's a lot easier to take someone seriously when they're asking about technical details and showing progress related to the work.  Someone standing over a shoulder demanding "Is it done, yet?" over and over probably won't get the same respect.....  In fact, most people who are busy solving problems usually don't have the time to continually ask "Is it done, yet?".  OK.  Rant over. 

Great ! do you have any ideas on what kind of mods would be required? seeing the filament hack has got me thinking of abs on this printer.

To answer the OP's original question, I've been working on installing a heated bed on the Jr.  I bought this heater off Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/150x150mm-Silicon … ed+bed+150

The heating element is going to require (I think) more power than the Jr. can supply.  So, I also purchased : http://www.amazon.com/eTopxizu-Universa … TW9MB0F5N. 

I also picked up a simple external temperature controller from Amazon, too : http://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-All-Purpo … ontroller. 

I think I have roughly $60-ish in parts for the conversion so far.  I will need to add a 12v relay and a 1/8" 6x6-ish aluminum plate for the build surface.  After everything is said and done, I'll have to manually "turn on" the heated bed and make sure the temperature is correct before starting a print.

Now, for some observations I only discovered after getting the parts in my hand.... 

First, the good news!  The silicone pad has a self-adhesive side that should make attaching to the build surface very easy.  Now, the not as good news...  The silicone heated pad I purchased because it was the right overall dimensions and had an integral thermistor (heat sensor).  While there was a description of the thickness of the pad on the website, I didn't appreciate just how the piece was put together.  There's a "bump" of sorts on the back of the pad where the power and thermistor wires connect.  I'm going to need to cut out part of the metal tray that mounts to the y-axis to get it to lay reasonably flat.  It would appear from some other pictures I've seen on E-bay and Amazon that there might be better suited pads available.  I see some that appear to have solder pads on the heating element that could do away with the big humps I have on mine.  If I had it to do again, I'd probably try one of the ones that look to be as flat as possible.  I can see there will be limited room to increase the height of the build surface before the x-axis support will hit it when the z-axis is re-homing.

Second observation is that the simple temperature controller included its own temperature sensor.  So, I didn't need to buy the pad with the built-in sensor.  Not sure if this is going to be a big deal or not.  If the one in the pad works, I'll use it.

Third idea/observation is that I'm going to start using an aluminum plate for a build surface.  I'm not sure if the glass included with the Jr would be too sensitive to heating->cooling->heating cycles.  I'm going to try a 0.125 inch (just over 3mm) thick aluminum plate instead.  I know there are other 3D printers that use aluminum for a build  surface.  Hoping this will be just thick enough to keep from warping or deforming while being thin enough to squeeze below the x-axis support with the heated pad mounted underneath.

I'll get some pictures posted as I start modifications and assembly.

8 (edited by jakecrowley 2016-03-15 18:27:59)

81TTA wrote:
jakecrowley wrote:

Sorry if this comes across as too harsh.  And, I understand if the mods want to kick me out after this.  But, it's getting a little much over multiple threads.......  So, imagine in my best jakecrowley voice : "I want, I want, I want, I want. Me, me, me, me....  I want NFC hack.  I want Repetier port.  I want heated bed.  I want someone else to figure it all out.  I don't want to pay for any of it. (Jr Hack thread post 207/219) Whatever anyone else is doing that I don't want is crap.....  Well, unless I said I liked the idea of the NFC hack when it first started. (Jr Hack thread post 247)  But then, decided I didn't like it because I'd have to pay for some hardware (Jr Hack thread post 267).  Why isn't everyone putting their time/effort into giving me what I want?  Why are they working, and getting results, on things based on putting their hardware/time/money at risk? (XYZlen actually bricked his Jr to further the Repetier effort.  I bricked NFC chips learning how to update the length correctly.  Greatone76 probably bought big $$ hardware to simulate NFCs to help decipher the NFC crypto algos.  Granted, he's also making a buck.  So, maybe not 100% altruistic.  But, give him credit that he has been posting UID/Password combos by request to help others, too.)" 

We get it.  It's all about you.  Here's a suggestion...  Either start working on some solutions or sit there (quietly would probably be preferred) until someone else gets the work done.  You complain you don't know how anything works to be much help.  With the time that's gone by, you could have been learning about the controller chips or the existing Davinci Repetier ports or documenting wiring connections from the Jr's controller to the peripherals.  It's a lot easier to take someone seriously when they're asking about technical details and showing progress related to the work.  Someone standing over a shoulder demanding "Is it done, yet?" over and over probably won't get the same respect.....  In fact, most people who are busy solving problems usually don't have the time to continually ask "Is it done, yet?".  OK.  Rant over. 

Great ! do you have any ideas on what kind of mods would be required? seeing the filament hack has got me thinking of abs on this printer.

To answer the OP's original question, I've been working on installing a heated bed on the Jr.  I bought this heater off Amazon : http://www.amazon.com/150x150mm-Silicon … ed+bed+150

The heating element is going to require (I think) more power than the Jr. can supply.  So, I also purchased : http://www.amazon.com/eTopxizu-Universa … TW9MB0F5N. 

I also picked up a simple external temperature controller from Amazon, too : http://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-All-Purpo … ontroller. 

I think I have roughly $60-ish in parts for the conversion so far.  I will need to add a 12v relay and a 1/8" 6x6-ish aluminum plate for the build surface.  After everything is said and done, I'll have to manually "turn on" the heated bed and make sure the temperature is correct before starting a print.

Now, for some observations I only discovered after getting the parts in my hand.... 

First, the good news!  The silicone pad has a self-adhesive side that should make attaching to the build surface very easy.  Now, the not as good news...  The silicone heated pad I purchased because it was the right overall dimensions and had an integral thermistor (heat sensor).  While there was a description of the thickness of the pad on the website, I didn't appreciate just how the piece was put together.  There's a "bump" of sorts on the back of the pad where the power and thermistor wires connect.  I'm going to need to cut out part of the metal tray that mounts to the y-axis to get it to lay reasonably flat.  It would appear from some other pictures I've seen on E-bay and Amazon that there might be better suited pads available.  I see some that appear to have solder pads on the heating element that could do away with the big humps I have on mine.  If I had it to do again, I'd probably try one of the ones that look to be as flat as possible.  I can see there will be limited room to increase the height of the build surface before the x-axis support will hit it when the z-axis is re-homing.

Second observation is that the simple temperature controller included its own temperature sensor.  So, I didn't need to buy the pad with the built-in sensor.  Not sure if this is going to be a big deal or not.  If the one in the pad works, I'll use it.

Third idea/observation is that I'm going to start using an aluminum plate for a build surface.  I'm not sure if the glass included with the Jr would be too sensitive to heating->cooling->heating cycles.  I'm going to try a 0.125 inch (just over 3mm) thick aluminum plate instead.  I know there are other 3D printers that use aluminum for a build  surface.  Hoping this will be just thick enough to keep from warping or deforming while being thin enough to squeeze below the x-axis support with the heated pad mounted underneath.

I'll get some pictures posted as I start modifications and assembly.

I completely agree with you with the fact i was sounding greedy and disrespectful along with the fact that i want all the work done for me.  I'm looking back in all my messages seeing how rude and greedy i sound. I want to help, i seriously do. But the thing is, i'm only 15. I can't afford to buy all this expensive hardware, with little knowledge of what it even does or how to use it, only to find that i need additional hardware or what i bought even works to do what i intended. I guess i'm just trying to say sorry, and that i will either help out, or keep quiet.

That aside, yesterday i was looking on the reprap.me shop and found a temperature controller. Will this do? http://reprap.me/heatbed-temperature-controller.html i already have a power supply that seems it fits the needs of the heated bed you linked to. Is that all i would need?

Will this do? http://reprap.me/heatbed-temperature-controller.html i already have a power supply that seems it fits the needs of the heated bed you linked to. Is that all i would need?

That looks like a good choice.  Here's my take based on my limited knowledge...

Pro :
- Good price compared to other temperature controller options I've seen. 
- Appears to run completely off 12v.  No need for extra 120/220 AC wiring
- Can control to 110 degC where others appear to max out at 100 degC.

Con (maybe) :
- Not sure how large the temperature probe is.  If the intent is to sandwich the probe between the heating element and glass/aluminum build surface, the probe needs to be pretty small/thin.  Might need some creative connection if the probe is too large.
- Appears on-board relay is only set up for 10A max.  The heating element I linked to below advertises 11.5A max.  Would probably need an external relay with higher current capability.  Website mentions use of "Power Expanded" for higher current?  Or, I'd imagine, there could be other brands of heating elements that wouldn't exceed 10A.

81TTA wrote:

Will this do? http://reprap.me/heatbed-temperature-controller.html i already have a power supply that seems it fits the needs of the heated bed you linked to. Is that all i would need?

That looks like a good choice.  Here's my take based on my limited knowledge...

Pro :
- Good price compared to other temperature controller options I've seen. 
- Appears to run completely off 12v.  No need for extra 120/220 AC wiring
- Can control to 110 degC where others appear to max out at 100 degC.

Con (maybe) :
- Not sure how large the temperature probe is.  If the intent is to sandwich the probe between the heating element and glass/aluminum build surface, the probe needs to be pretty small/thin.  Might need some creative connection if the probe is too large.
- Appears on-board relay is only set up for 10A max.  The heating element I linked to below advertises 11.5A max.  Would probably need an external relay with higher current capability.  Website mentions use of "Power Expanded" for higher current?  Or, I'd imagine, there could be other brands of heating elements that wouldn't exceed 10A.

The heating pad you linked has an inbuilt temperature probe. The temperature probe that comes with the temperature controller seems to just have two wires connected to the board with a screw connector. I would assume you could just swap out the provided temperature probe with the inbuilt probe in the heated pad. There is a power expander which you might need because of the 10A max on the controller which I assume you would be able to use with a higher amperage power supply to accommodate the 11.5A heated pad.

Good news!  While I don't have pictures of the setup yet, I just finished successfully printing a small ABS part with the Jr.  I put together a heated bed with the parts described above.  Still need to do some tweaking of the bed setup.  I milled a piece of aluminum to the same dimensions as the glass.  But, with that and the heating pad stacked together, the extruder/x-axis bar contacts the bed when homing the z-axis.  Now more than ever I wish I'd have gone with a different supplier for the heating pad.  The big "bump" on the one I have has caused a few headaches getting this put together!  One of the versions that appear to be much flatter would definitely be the way to go.  I guess if there's a bright side....  I'm also thinking while I have this apart, I might add a convenient way to level the bed via thumbscrews.  (I think the other XYZ printers have this already?)  One other potential modification will be to the z-axis homing switch assembly.  I think if I print out a 0.100 inch spacer to raise it up a bit, that might keep the assembly from hitting the bed.  I'll just have to make sure I don't try to print anything greater than 5.8" tall...

For anyone trying this, I used Hatchbox ABS (advertised temperature range 210-240degC) running at 215degC modified through Advanced mode in XYZWare.  I've been very happy with Hatchbox's PLA.  So, I thought I'd start with their ABS.  Very limited testing.  But, so far, so good!  The bed temperature set to 90degC.  Blue painter's tape with hairspray on the bed.

81TTA wrote:

Good news!  While I don't have pictures of the setup yet, I just finished successfully printing a small ABS part with the Jr.  I put together a heated bed with the parts described above.  Still need to do some tweaking of the bed setup.  I milled a piece of aluminum to the same dimensions as the glass.  But, with that and the heating pad stacked together, the extruder/x-axis bar contacts the bed when homing the z-axis.  Now more than ever I wish I'd have gone with a different supplier for the heating pad.  The big "bump" on the one I have has caused a few headaches getting this put together!  One of the versions that appear to be much flatter would definitely be the way to go.  I guess if there's a bright side....  I'm also thinking while I have this apart, I might add a convenient way to level the bed via thumbscrews.  (I think the other XYZ printers have this already?)  One other potential modification will be to the z-axis homing switch assembly.  I think if I print out a 0.100 inch spacer to raise it up a bit, that might keep the assembly from hitting the bed.  I'll just have to make sure I don't try to print anything greater than 5.8" tall...

For anyone trying this, I used Hatchbox ABS (advertised temperature range 210-240degC) running at 215degC modified through Advanced mode in XYZWare.  I've been very happy with Hatchbox's PLA.  So, I thought I'd start with their ABS.  Very limited testing.  But, so far, so good!  The bed temperature set to 90degC.  Blue painter's tape with hairspray on the bed.

Nice job! Did you end up going with the temperature controller you provided?

Thanks!!  I did use the controller in the link.  I also used the temperature sensor that came with the controller.  I just ground down the plastic on the sensor a bit so it could be sandwiched between the heating pad and the mounting tray.  I left the temperature sensor included with the heating pad disconnected.

I've never played with other printers.  So, I don't have a good reference.  The modified bed takes roughly 5 minutes or so to warm up to 90degC.  Not sure if this is excessive compared to other applications with similar bed sizes or not.  I have the controller set with a 2degC deadband between on/off (i.e. on below 88, off above 90).

Hi!

First time posting here!
Thought I could share my heated bed mod I made last weekend för my XYZ da vinci jr.
It takes about 30 seconds to heat up to 60degrees.

http://soliforum.com/i/?J42HOXp.jpg
1. Cut out som of the plate to fit the silicone heater and termistor.

http://soliforum.com/i/?dJu9oUe.jpg
2. Heater fitted on the glass and placed on the bed.

http://soliforum.com/i/?8HSMUol.jpg
3. Cables for 12v and termitor.

http://soliforum.com/i/?eNlrxz0.jpg
4. My "box" with the 12v switched power supply (150w) and digital thermostat. Yes, its ugly. smile

http://soliforum.com/i/?ynJaPZN.jpg
5. Front.

http://soliforum.com/i/?UdqmF1c.jpg
6. Back.

http://soliforum.com/i/?dkMGwx4.jpg
7. Printed an NFC holder for my unlocked NFC chips.

http://soliforum.com/i/?VT6xEJo.jpg
8. Another view.

http://soliforum.com/i/?GH56hwt.jpg
9. My 3rd party spool hanging on the outside. Made a hole for the filament on the side.

http://soliforum.com/i/?CfrWWQn.jpg
10. Printer in action.

http://soliforum.com/i/?AIabA2F.jpg
11. Printed pieces.

http://soliforum.com/i/?g5iyScp.jpg
12. Smooth shiny finnish from the glass bed.

Damn, the heated pad is out of stock. Any other place where i could order one or an alternative pad?

Hello danne8_6, can you share stl of NFC holder? Thanks.

AidenShaw2 wrote:

Hello danne8_6, can you share stl of NFC holder? Thanks.

No problem, you can find it right here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1416171/#files

Very, very nice work!  I made similar changes to my printer.  But, I didn't take the time to wrap up all the details so nicely.  I have a big pile sitting in front of the printer including temperature controller, power supply, relay and wire!  smile

Did you use the same heating element I listed?  If so, I'm wondering if you're seeing any contact between the x-axis hardware and the table when the z-axis is zeroed.  I notice you're still using the original glass for the table?  I was concerned it might not like the heating cycles.  So, I milled a piece of aluminum to roughly the same thickness of the original glass.  After everything is assembled, the parts *just* touch when the z-axis zeros before a print.  I'm on the fence on the fix.  Either print a spacer for the z-axis homing sensor or mill the aluminum down further.  Curious if you ran into this?

Again, very nice work on the details!

81TTA wrote:

Very, very nice work!  I made similar changes to my printer.  But, I didn't take the time to wrap up all the details so nicely.  I have a big pile sitting in front of the printer including temperature controller, power supply, relay and wire!  smile

Did you use the same heating element I listed?  If so, I'm wondering if you're seeing any contact between the x-axis hardware and the table when the z-axis is zeroed.  I notice you're still using the original glass for the table?  I was concerned it might not like the heating cycles.  So, I milled a piece of aluminum to roughly the same thickness of the original glass.  After everything is assembled, the parts *just* touch when the z-axis zeros before a print.  I'm on the fence on the fix.  Either print a spacer for the z-axis homing sensor or mill the aluminum down further.  Curious if you ran into this?

Again, very nice work on the details!

Yeah, looks like the same type of silicone heater. I am using a 12v switched power supply, 150w and can handle up to 12A.
Yes, I am using the glass that came with the printer and I have heated it up to 90 degC maximum, but running it mostly on 60.
The X axis bumps just a little bit before printing, but I dont think it is a big deal.
I am thinking about going for an aluminium plate for the more even temp distribution and more exact messurement for a thermistor.

Do you have to cut into the build plate holder?

21 (edited by danne8_6 2016-05-07 11:57:35)

jakecrowley wrote:

Do you have to cut into the build plate holder?

Yes. Because of the silicone heater I got wasn't completely flush in that end.

Update on my build:

I have added a relay that is connected to the back fan in the davinci.
When the back fan turns on, the relay gets a 5v signal so the 230v for the heater switches on.
The heater heats up to 60 degrees centigrade around 10 sec before the nozle temp is ready.
When the print is done, the fan stops and the 230v switches off.

This way it is automated, and the bed is not heating after the print is done.
So when I go get the print, it is completely loose from the build platform.

http://soliforum.com/i/?03ohp3v.jpg

Nice def doing this mod! i need to print ABS for my aquarium hobby smile

Thanks

@thegasman2000 - you might be interested in this, that's my DIY heatbed for home PCB etching http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1931575

Thats awesome but I don't own a lazer printer anymore! Also its a little past my hacking abilities to be honest!

I have been reading that its possible to print ABS without a heated bed, using painters tape sanded down and a large skirt. I have some samples of filament coming in the post and will give it a shot. 210 degrees is ok for ABS right?

@thegasman2000 - No need for a laser cutter. Just a regular laser printer (aka office printer). Just google "etching PCB via laser printer transfer method" + buy some chemicals to etch PCB. And regular metal handsaw to cut PCB clad.

210degree C is on the low side but depends from the ABS you are using.
You can print ABS on cold bed if it has small footprint. Biggest concern with ABS and cold bed is warping and layer delamination.
Never tried on blue painters tape but on BuildTak it sticks quite well. You can get 165x165 BuildTak of Amazon - thats exact size of Jr bed. You can often find rebranded BuildTak (in UK Amazon store you can find Prima BuildTak - it's the same BuildTak but with extra Prima logo twice as cheap - some kind of a promotional stuff I'd presume)

But if you use Cura as your slicer you can set any temperature bypassing NFC chip set temperature.
Only problem in my case was getting temperature above 214degree C on my Jr with stock 25w heater block.
I've replaced my heater with eBay 40w cheapie - worked a treat.