Topic: Bed bounces

So the printer after several runs of "okay" prints, is not printing successfully. After Z-calibration I'll run a print and it's "acting" like its hovering higher than the z point selected. When it lays down the brim, the layer wont adhere and it will just drag with the extruder as will the rest of the print until I stop. This happens with every print EXCEPT a companion cube (for some reason?). I noticed this all began happening after the bed started to bounce during calibration and during printing. The video shows it during calibration.

Not sure what's causing the bounce, I added the screws that came with Solidoodle's "update kit" and was able to print after installing everything and dial the trimpots.

Re: Bed bounces

The fit of the bed to the guide rods is questionable at best...if you can get back there, some Lithium grease on the rods should help...but the real solution is to upgrade to linear bearings:

http://www.soliforum.com/post/93840/#p93840

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Definitely oil the Z-axis rod. It happens to me too.

Fat kids are harder to kidnap!

I'd suggest doing this. http://www.soliforum.com/post/112969/#p112969.

It's a involved upgrade and requires you to completely tear the Press down. But worth it.

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

Macgyver hello, first of all I'm a big fan of the changes you made on solidoodle Press it's really amazing. I am French industrial design student, I bought the Press the last year and have been for some months of the problem with the nozzle and the wheel that the filament guide.

I have seen the changes with the head E3D V6, and I would do the same as you, I received the head last week and I print the parts I am ready for transforamtion, but I wanted to know if I have to absolutely modify the firmware of the press. I already changed the Duty of the original head of the press, it is exactly the same as E3D V6.

I know a language the Arduino but because of my English I struggle to understand the procedures and steps.
I will be you very grateful if you could help me

with easy to follow step

thank you very much

MacGyverX wrote:

I'd suggest doing this. http://www.soliforum.com/post/112969/#p112969.

It's a involved upgrade and requires you to completely tear the Press down. But worth it.

This upgrade looks very desirable and very terrifying due to the fact that I would be nervous to tear apart the printer and mess something up while putting it back together. Plus I wouldnt be able to fabricate that custom milled top and bottom plate. Ill look into the other parts you listed. Was this an easy thing to modify?

MacGyverX im assuming these are the parts (or similar) that you used:

http://openbuildspartstore.com/anti-bac … ead-screw/

http://www.amazon.com/6pcs-LM8UU-Linear … B008RIKN7W

Where did you source the extrude?

http://www.soliforum.com/post/112999/#p112999

SD Press - v1 (Pre-order) / RAMPs /w DRV8825's / Cyclops (25w) / Dual Bowden / Mk8 Gear / MK2b PCB Heat bed /w custom replacement Z / PEI Bed
SD2 / E3D v6 / Direct Drive / Mk8 Gear / RAMBo v1.3 / PEI Bed / Anti Z backlash mod / Ikea Expedite enclosure.
Both Driven by Octoprint (devel) via a RPi B+ / Neopixel status alerts / GPIO Controlled SSR / (SD2) 450 Watt PSU for remote power-up/shutdown.

Wow. I've experienced some "creaking" noises before, but nothing so extreme that it caused any noticeable motion. I simply re-greased the z-axis rod with lithium grease, and eventually the creaking went away (presumably the grease needed time to spread around as the printer was used).

Frustration is part of the process.

Start with lube. (white lithium grease is what I hear from people)

Snug up the collar around the shaft on the top of the Z motor - should be just snug. (jam nut? not sure what it's called.) Mine was sloppy loose and I made it fingertip tight.

If your screws on the bottom back of the bed are loose snug them up.
However, I was told by SD a while back not to make them too tight because the Z rods might not be quite parallel, and very tight bed screws could cause binding.

H_Alex wrote:

Wow. I've experienced some "creaking" noises before, but nothing so extreme that it caused any noticeable motion. I simply re-greased the z-axis rod with lithium grease, and eventually the creaking went away (presumably the grease needed time to spread around as the printer was used).

Not sure, I'll give it a try for now. Probably replace things with OpenBuild parts eventually.
Another thing it was doing one day was bottoming out on the Z axis during calibration and thumping really loud as if it was hopping gears

Were you able to use the 250mm length or did you have to trim it down? I'm thinking about going with the 20x60 that you mentioned if a bracket is needed to mount.

daphur wrote:

Were you able to use the 250mm length or did you have to trim it down? I'm thinking about going with the 20x60 that you mentioned if a bracket is needed to mount.

Yes, you'll need to cut it down to about 219 or 220 mm, if I remember correctly.  I tried the 20x60 bracket, but I didn't like how it hit the metal cross brace.

I tried several design variations and ended up constructing a platform out of makerbeam parts (10x10 t-slot extrusions).  It took several tries, but I now have a very stable platform with no interferences and really smooth motion.

http://soliforum.com/i/?FIumglo.jpg

albc3d wrote:

http://soliforum.com/i/?FIumglo.jpg

That frame is massive looking.

Unfortunately I went ahead and bought the 20x60 before seeing your comment. I guess I'll have some tinkering to do.

Where did you all source your bearings from?

It looks like it's only doing a single point calibration which won't take into consideration any angle on the print bed. You need to make sure you are using the G29 gcode in your start code so it will do the multi-point calibration.  If you don't then it will only be correct height at the point where it tested since the press has such an un-level build platform with no way to level it without modification.
I managed to get mine reasonably level (it was off about 7 degrees from factory) by taking it off and elongating the screw holes do I could level it a little better but still doesn't solve the bounce.

android78 wrote:

It looks like it's only doing a single point calibration which won't take into consideration any angle on the print bed. You need to make sure you are using the G29 gcode in your start code so it will do the multi-point calibration.  If you don't then it will only be correct height at the point where it tested since the press has such an un-level build platform with no way to level it without modification.
I managed to get mine reasonably level (it was off about 7 degrees from factory) by taking it off and elongating the screw holes do I could level it a little better but still doesn't solve the bounce.

I have parts on the way to replace plastic items, but once I get up and running I'll remember to use the G29? gcode.

trayracing wrote:

Start with lube. (white lithium grease is what I hear from people)

Snug up the collar around the shaft on the top of the Z motor - should be just snug. (jam nut? not sure what it's called.) Mine was sloppy loose and I made it fingertip tight.

If your screws on the bottom back of the bed are loose snug them up.
However, I was told by SD a while back not to make them too tight because the Z rods might not be quite parallel, and very tight bed screws could cause binding.

that 'White Lithium Grease" is what I bought for mine but it seems to get black and tacky after just a dozen prints (or unused for a couple weeks) and thin oil like sewing machine or Remington gun oil does a better job for me without gumming up and turning black. so I am still looking for a better slicker thin lube that lasts longer and dont harm parts.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs