Topic: Differences between FreeLSS and Atlas 3D?

Looking for a little clarity on the differences between Atlas 3D and FreeLSS.

I noticed that GitHub has not been updated since 1.11 but Atlas auto-update users are at 1.14?

Is there a plan to simply keep FreeLSS "behind" the times with respect to Atlas with the serial number protected auto-update - so as to encourage Atlas purchase,  or is FreeLSS being left out on its own now and Atlas will be going forward in a closed way? 

I have not purchased a kit (yet) but I do own a Raspberry Pi 2 and Pi camera, have loads of stepper drives and other goodies and am fairly adept at building things so I wanted to roll my own...
I do appreciate what has been made available so far but just want to know what kind of support FreeLSS will have going forward.
Thanks,
Mike

Re: Differences between FreeLSS and Atlas 3D?

Hi Mike,

FreeLSS will be still be updated but it won't have all of the features of ATLAS 3D.

Uriah

hairu526 wrote:

Hi Mike,

FreeLSS will be still be updated but it won't have all of the features of ATLAS 3D.

Uriah

wait, so if we buy an Atlas scanner kit now we wont get that software anymore but only freelss from now on? I dont understand, are these 2 dif software/drivers for using the scanner with PI?

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

i think you misunderstood. 

The version of FreeLSS that's on GitHub will continue to be updated, but certain features will be unique to the version bundled with the Atlas 3D.

SO if you do buy or already have an Atlas 3D, you will have access to those "extra" features, but if you choose to build you own, you can still use FreeLSS to drive it, you just won't get those features.

That's all, kinda like having a free version and a pay for version

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

That is correct.

- Uriah

Ahh OK

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

What additional functionalities does Atlas 3d offers over FreeLSS?

I'm not sure, as I'm an Atlas 3D user, but I think that one of the main functions is the auto-update.

As to other options, UriaH/HairU would have to jump in an answer.

So far, the commercial version of FreeLSS for ATLAS 3D has the below features that the open source version does not.  The auto-update feature is present in all versions of FreeLSS but requires a valid ATLAS 3D serial number (obtained by purchasing ATLAS 3D) to utilize it.  The auto-update feature will update to the latest version of the commercial FreeLSS (currently 1.14).

- Uriah

Thank you for the clarification smile

hairu526 wrote:

So far, the commercial version of FreeLSS for ATLAS 3D has the below features that the open source version does not.  The auto-update feature is present in all versions of FreeLSS but requires a valid ATLAS 3D serial number (obtained by purchasing ATLAS 3D) to utilize it.  The auto-update feature will update to the latest version of the commercial FreeLSS (currently 1.14).

- Uriah

I have assembled Atlas, how can i get the serial number?

The serial number is at the bottom of the motor.

- Uriah

13 (edited by rtr989 2016-01-03 20:39:59)

hairu526 wrote:

The serial number is at the bottom of the motor.

- Uriah

it's self-made working freelss, i don't have serial number, i need purchase license.

That will be made available soon.

Not meaning to sound impatient but can you give us an idea of when? Are we talking a couple of weeks, or 6 months? I'm pretty sure there's a few people on this board with self made scanners who would love access to the new features!

Is anybody home?

rtr989 wrote:

Is anybody home?

What is your question?

18 (edited by rtr989 2016-01-15 19:22:50)

pirvan wrote:
rtr989 wrote:

Is anybody home?

What is your question?

not my but this: "Not meaning to sound impatient but can you give us an idea of when? Are we talking a couple of weeks, or 6 months? I'm pretty sure there's a few people on this board with self made scanners who would love access to the new features!"

I know that Uriah plans on offering the full blown software for sale, so I'll let him answer the question.

However, and this is something I'll probably get flamed for, if I were in his shoes I wouldn't do it. 

Once you sell the software to anyone that put together their own hardware, you become responsible for supporting all those "non-standard" configurations.  It's one thing when you give it away for free, there's no implied responsibility, but once you sell it, that's a whole different ballgame.

I know he's been very good at answering question from just about everybody, DIY'ers or backers, but personally I wouldn't do it.  there's just too many variables that would need support.

I too am waiting on the availability of the "full blown software" for sale, and I have my own opinions on this whole subject,
which if I was cautious I would keep to myself. 
I was initially attracted to FreeLSS as an OPEN SOURCE project, one that I thought would develop a community of developers to continuously grow and improve the project.  I myself am not a software guru so I would not be able to contribute in that way but I thought I would be able to help maybe in my own ways.
With the software already being split off to commercial closed source for all the new and improved functionality that is going to kill any thoughts other software developers may have had of contributing to the project, leaving Uriah likely as the sole developer for both the open portion (FreeLSS) and Atlas. 
Its a tricky path splitting open source software into commercial for sale and free versions - my personal opinion (and again its just my opinion) is that this feels a bit like a switch and bait - ie here is some free software but really what you want and need for good results is here for this much $.  I am still open to the idea of paying for the software, but the way I got here leaves me feeling a bit duped.
I still haven't built anything so at this point I'm not locked in with any sort of time or money investment beyond the raspberry pi and camera.
At this point I may change gears completely and go down the BQ Ciclop path as my daughter has taken an interest in the raspberry pi and I don't get to use it as much anymore...plus the Ciclop at first blush appears fully open (hardware design, electronics and software wise).

I felt the electronics side of the Ciclop was rather inelegant, that's what brought me to FreeLSS in the first place. You cant beat the Raspberry Pi + camera combo, its a no brainer.

hairu526 wrote:

That will be made available soon.

Any news on that option?

Regards

Stephan

FreeLSS Commercial licenses (ie: serial numbers) can now be obtained from the Murobo store at http://store.murobo.com/atlas-3d-software-license-only/

- Uriah

I'm a bit disappointed I must say. Not because its turned into closed source but because all the info that I've found yet are related to open-source and FreeLss as in free for free... Thingiverse, reprap page, kickstarter etc.
There are a lot of open-source 3d printer project that we can tweek and modify, share and exchange. Lots of information available. It lead to great projects and fast development.

I thought that open-source project was similar, but I feel a bit mislead. I bought the few parts I missed to build this project and while I was waiting for the Chinese shipping I redesigned a couple of mechanical parts and electronic. Then I was able to try it for the first time then I found this button requiring license for updating which leaded me here.

I can understand a guy who want to be paid for his work and there was a lot of work involved. No problem with that, I know it is hard. I respect the work done and the need for motivation etc... But what dragged me here in the first place was the open-source mention that I found about just everywhere. I wonder what this project is now, between a community or a one man show? The level of contribution made by the community and the possible friction with the paid version?

Thank you at least for not having bundle the software license only with the hardware and serial number. It doesn't left us completely behind.

minautor wrote:

I'm a bit disappointed I must say. Not because its turned into closed source but because all the info that I've found yet are related to open-source and FreeLss as in free for free... Thingiverse, reprap page, kickstarter etc.
There are a lot of open-source 3d printer project that we can tweek and modify, share and exchange. Lots of information available. It lead to great projects and fast development.

I thought that open-source project was similar, but I feel a bit mislead. I bought the few parts I missed to build this project and while I was waiting for the Chinese shipping I redesigned a couple of mechanical parts and electronic. Then I was able to try it for the first time then I found this button requiring license for updating which leaded me here.

I can understand a guy who want to be paid for his work and there was a lot of work involved. No problem with that, I know it is hard. I respect the work done and the need for motivation etc... But what dragged me here in the first place was the open-source mention that I found about just everywhere. I wonder what this project is now, between a community or a one man show? The level of contribution made by the community and the possible friction with the paid version?

Thank you at least for not having bundle the software license only with the hardware and serial number. It doesn't left us completely behind.

Honestly for the money invested in building your own paying $25bucks for a software licence is not a big deal, even if you go bare bones setup your paying over or at 100$ range to roll your own. You can still run the open source version, but as far as I can tell this is a 1 man show so paying him a few bucks to keep the software up to date and working is not a big deal. There is allot of value for the money in the software. Scanners like this cost in the thousands a few years back. With that said, I think the price is very reasonable to roll your own.