1 (edited by hopper_child 2015-12-09 12:36:54)

Topic: Choosing a motherboard

My press is no longer working. After discussions in my other post, http://www.soliforum.com/topic/13030/pr … connected/, I guess the next step is to presume the motherboard is at fault. Unfortunately, Its all a little over my head. I have researched the forum, and searched online for different Ramp boards. There seems to be many types, all looking different and all different prices. I'm not sure if some of the boards are even complete. Also, being financially challenged, I don't have a lot of money to spend so when I buy one, I definitely want it to be what I needed, and not that I still need to buy a dozen other parts to make it work.

I spent more money on this printer than I really had, so I really want it functional instead of it just looking cool sitting on my desk. If any one can help me choose a board that would work with my Press I would be most grateful.

Re: Choosing a motherboard

Not being completely familiar with the Press, do you know if your current system runs on 12V or 24V?

If 12V, Here is one good source for a RAMPS combo:

http://www.makerfarm.com/index.php/ramps.html

I assume it is 12V based on the following very recent thread...

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/12971/ra … d-support/

Don't be overwhelmed when you read through it.  I think this may have been one of the few times somebody has done this with the Press.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

The press is a 24volt system, when I went to ramps I changes the power supply to a pc power supply enabling me to go to 12volts.

I know the bed is 24 V if that helps.

sandcub1971 wrote:

The press is a 24volt system, when I went to ramps I changes the power supply to a pc power supply enabling me to go to 12volts.

sandcub, have you tried heating the bed and/or hot end yet with your current new Ramps setup?  Driving a 24v bed / hot end with 12v usually does not work too well...

Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate

No the stock bed will not work. I have the MK2 bed that supports 12 or 24 volts depending on how you hook it up. I had it hooked up for 24 volt while using the stock board and PS. but with the ramps and the atx ps I resoldered it for 12 volts and it works well. Atleast my heated board works well smile

OK!  Worst case you may need a 12v cartridge for your hot end...should be no big deal.

Lol sorry forgot to mention that, already installed the 12 volt cartridge also. smile

IronMan wrote:

Not being completely familiar with the Press, do you know if your current system runs on 12V or 24V?

If 12V, Here is one good source for a RAMPS combo:

http://www.makerfarm.com/index.php/ramps.html

I assume it is 12V based on the following very recent thread...

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/12971/ra … d-support/

Don't be overwhelmed when you read through it.  I think this may have been one of the few times somebody has done this with the Press.

So that board won't work with a 24v?

Nope, you'd need a ramps Tourino power board

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Unless you want to change the bed heat pad and hot end heater cartridge to 12V...

But I would go with Taurino Power as wardjr suggests.

Check out the Azteeg X3 Pro by Panucatt Devices. Very high quality, excellent customer service based in the US and supports 12 to 30 volts. Motor, bed, and logic supplies have individual inputs so you can even use mixed voltages.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Ok, thanks for the input. Where's a good place to get a ramps Tourino power board? Do they come with everything I need to get my printer going again?

IronMan is more qualified to answer that question.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Here you go...

http://www.ultibots.com/taurino-power-ramps-1-4-bundle/

Thank you. Is that pretty much all I will need?

Should be!

Another option as Carl pointed out is the Azteeg X3...I have had my eye on this for some time but do not have direct experience with it; it may well be my next purchase if I need one:

http://www.panucatt.com/Azteeg_X3_repra … ax33dp.htm

Thanks for the input. One more dumb question. Does the Azteeg X3 have everything I need, or do I need to buy additional items too?

hopper_child wrote:

Thanks for the input. One more dumb question. Does the Azteeg X3 have everything I need, or do I need to buy additional items too?

If you plan to print straight from the PC then it has everything you need. If you want to print from SDcard then you will need the Viki 2 LCD as well. But the LCD is not necessary unless you want to use SDcards and stand alone printing.

First, I gave you the link for the X3 Standard...the X3 Pro is here:
http://www.panucatt.com/Azteeg_X3_Pro_p/ax3pro.htm

You can stick with the standard...the main difference is the Pro being able to run independent Heat Pads and I think digital vref control.

You need to hit the drop down boxes to specify the extras.

Screw terminals are a nice to have; offers flexibility in wire connecting, but a bit more inconvenient as you will have to cut and screw in each conductor.  Lots of folks prefer this as once you get it right, the connections are rock solid.  You decide.

Micro SD card (if you want it)

Standard V2 Cover Shield is fine unless you plan on using thermocouples

You want the 4 stepper drivers(5 if you plan on dual extruding in the future)...I have not had experience with these, but they are capable of 1/128 micro stepping!

3 endstops are a good deal for $4.50

Extra thermistors are always good to have around!

Now...with all those options for the X3 standard that's north of $150.00 + shipping; for the X3 PRO add about $26.00 to that...

The RAMPS 1.4 with Taurino Power includes everything you need for $135.00 + shipping but also throws in a wiring bundle, SD card interface, a 40mm Cooling fan, and ceramic screwdriver all of which is handy. No thermistors, but they throw in 3 endstops and GT2 pulleys.

Personally, I think the Azteeg is a bit overkill for the Press, but if your willing to spend the extra $, it'll be a great board, and Panucatt is a respected name (no slam to RRD, who manufactures the Taurino) smile

Very good. Thanks guys.

Another question. Will my endstops not work?

23 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-12-10 22:20:39)

Both boards we have talked about will work with optical or mechanical endstops. So you should be fine. It's just a good idea to have a few spares around.

Oh, thanks. What about a power supply? Do I need something different?

Both boards we have talked about also work with 12 to 30vdc so as long as your power supply can operate in that range and put out at least 30 amps you should be fine. Most people use the brick type supplies instead of the ATX supplies as the ATX supplies are less reliable and usually don't have the current capacity they claim. I use this type of supply below for my printer in the 24 volt version since my hotends and fans are all 24 volt.

http://www.amazon.com/Universal-Regulat … wer+supply