Topic: help with pins RP2

I am using a raspberry pi 2 to run the freelss software. When I run the software, the lasers don't turn on, and the turn table does not move. However it still runs and takes about 6 minutes to do a scan(obviously it doesn't scan anything).  I have code written in python to see if i can turn on the lasers and move the turn table, which I have done with success, but when the freelss code runs they don't do anything. The pins on this pi are different from the pins on the Raspberry Pi B+ model. Maybe I have wired the pins wrong. I have the lasers hooked up to pin # 13(GPIO 27) and pin #15(GPIO 22) on the RP2. Then I went to the code in my freelss directory and modified the setup.cpp file. I went to where it says rightLaserPin(5) and leftLaserPin(4) and changed the number to a 13 and 15 respectively for the lasers. Is there something else that i need to do? Do i also need to change the code somewhere else? Or am I on the wrong track all together? PLEASE HELP

Re: help with pins RP2

Are you using the 5V ATLAS 3D electronics board or the 12V FreeLSS reference design?  If you are using ATLAS 3D then you should not need to change the pin settings at all.  Regardless of how you have the pins wired, you should not need to change the code (setup.cpp).  The pin numbers can be configured on the Setup page of the software.  Please note that FreeLSS/ATLAS 3D uses the wiringPi pin numbers.  Pin #13 does not correspond to GPIO27 and pin #15 does not correspond to GPIO22.  The wiringPi pin mappings are at the link below.

http://wiringpi.com/pins/

Hope this helps!

Uriah

Thank you Uriah, that helped, I see the lasers and turn table both working after a little rewiring. There are still a few issues that I am running into. One is that during a scan, and even after the scan has been done, clicking the preview button doesn't show me anything. When i email myself the stl file and view it with 3d builder software, the image does not look like the object that I am trying to scan. Could anyone take a screenshot of the view of their screen when they toggle the lasers so i see what it looks like (relation of the cross hairs to the center of the turn table). Also if I need to calibrate I would like to work with the code instead of changing it on the site (I am assuming in the code the unit of lengths are in mm). Would that be okay or would the changes not correspond if I make them in the code?

vfrasheri21 wrote:

Thank you Uriah, that helped, I see the lasers and turn table both working after a little rewiring. There are still a few issues that I am running into. One is that during a scan, and even after the scan has been done, clicking the preview button doesn't show me anything. When i email myself the stl file and view it with 3d builder software, the image does not look like the object that I am trying to scan. Could anyone take a screenshot of the view of their screen when they toggle the lasers so i see what it looks like (relation of the cross hairs to the center of the turn table). Also if I need to calibrate I would like to work with the code instead of changing it on the site (I am assuming in the code the unit of lengths are in mm). Would that be okay or would the changes not correspond if I make them in the code?

Here is a screen shot of the live camera view, with both lasers turned on.

AS far as calibration is concerned, you will need to physically align your lasers using the instruction provided.  You can also find many posts here describing alternate methods of calibration and different tools.

No amount of software calibration or tweaking can solve a poorly aligned camera and lasers, so do the physical calibration first, then use the auto-calibrate feature in the software.  The latest version of FreeLSS is about as foolproof as you can get it, but it's not a miracle worker, you still need to do your part.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9412

BTW, the checkerboard pattern you see in the photo is what I use for calibration purposes.  Find the posts describing its use and how to make it.

Post's attachments

vader.jpg
vader.jpg 127.73 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Awesome, thank you for posting the image. In terms of the camera y coordinate, does the number represent the distance in inches from the center of the turn table to the point where the cross hairs intersect (the left of vader's eye)? Also I still can't preview an image on the software. I have to download the stl file, email it to myself and open it on my laptop with 3d builder to see my scan.