Re: Ramps 1.4 with LCD and SD support

I've already contacted him and am sure he'll respond tomorrow.  I wish we could go back in time and warn users of the nightmare the Press will become.  Either way this is where we find ourselves and we will do our best to get you up and printing.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

52 (edited by jagowilson 2015-12-07 17:39:13)

Hi,

You should just download the original Press firmware and flash with that. It can be found here:
http://blog.solidoodle.com/wp-content/u … 5.cpp_.zip

Just change the board type to RAMPS and you should have zero issues. Worst case scenario is autoleveling doesn't work because they hardcoded some pin numbers, but we can probably figure that out.

I can't be certain but I think we have already tried that.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

54 (edited by jagowilson 2015-12-07 18:18:56)

Yeah sorry that won't really help. So it definitely seems like a pin assignment issue. You need to check HEATER_0_PIN and TEMP_0_PIN in pins.h. If the pin numbers there don't match the board, change pins.h to reflect it. For example, if you see D12 on the board and 9 in the firmware, update pins.h to 12. I am pretty confused by this, because pins.h for the RAMPS is not wrong (trust me we'd know if it was, it's the most popular board out there). Grab pins.h from the latest Marlin version and use that, and see if it helps. If you modify pins.h yourself, make sure you are modifying the proper board, otherwise your changes won't mean anything.

You can find the latest version of Marlin here:
https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin

I did that and when verifying/compiling it gives the flowing error:
Arduino: 1.6.6 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

In file included from sketch\ConfigurationStore.cpp:3:0:

sketch\temperature.h:165:42: warning: extra tokens at end of #ifdef directive [enabled by default]

#ifdef THERMAL_RUNAWAY_PROTECTION_PERIOD && THERMAL_RUNAWAY_PROTECTION_PERIOD > 0

^

In file included from sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:42:0:

sketch\temperature.h:165:42: warning: extra tokens at end of #ifdef directive [enabled by default]

#ifdef THERMAL_RUNAWAY_PROTECTION_PERIOD && THERMAL_RUNAWAY_PROTECTION_PERIOD > 0

^

sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:1727:11: warning: extra tokens at end of #endif directive [enabled by default]

#endif SCARA

^

sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:2740:36: warning: invalid suffix on literal; C++11 requires a space between literal and identifier [-Wliteral-suffix]

LCD_MESSAGEPGM(MACHINE_NAME" "MSG_OFF".");

^

sketch\Marlin_main.cpp: In function 'void read_pressFirmware()':

Marlin_main.cpp:627: error: 'PRESS_HOMEXY' was not declared in this scope

if (digitalRead(PRESS_HOMEXY)) // high

^

Marlin_main.cpp:634: error: 'PRESS_CANCEL_PRINT' was not declared in this scope

else if (digitalRead(PRESS_CANCEL_PRINT)) // HIGH

^

Marlin_main.cpp:638: error: 'PRINTING_PIN' was not declared in this scope

digitalWrite(PRINTING_PIN, LOW);

^

Marlin_main.cpp:644: error: 'PRESS_PAUSE_PRINT' was not declared in this scope

else if (digitalRead(PRESS_PAUSE_PRINT) && !tHasPaused) // HIGH

^

sketch\Marlin_main.cpp: In function 'void set_bed_level_equation_lsq(double*)':

sketch\Marlin_main.cpp:1041:36: warning: deprecated conversion from string constant to 'char*' [-Wwrite-strings]

planeNormal.debug("planeNormal");

^

sketch\Marlin_main.cpp: In function 'void process_commands()':

Marlin_main.cpp:3739: error: 'PRINTING_PIN' was not declared in this scope

digitalWrite(PRINTING_PIN, HIGH);

^

Marlin_main.cpp:3745: error: 'PRINTING_PIN' was not declared in this scope

digitalWrite(PRINTING_PIN, LOW);

^

exit status 1
'PRESS_HOMEXY' was not declared in this scope

This report would have more information with
  "Show verbose output during compilation"
  enabled in File > Preferences.
I was using a modded version of the press firmware that MacGyver made to run the E3dv6 with different therms on it. I have tried reuseing that and just changing the board to 33 also. No success.

56 (edited by jagowilson 2015-12-07 18:23:37)

OK well that won't work. What are extruder 0 and temp 0 pins listed as on the board? In my pins.h, they are listed as pins 9 and 13 for RAMPS.

jagowilson wrote:

Yeah sorry that won't really help. So it definitely seems like a pin assignment issue. You need to check HEATER_0_PIN and TEMP_0_PIN in pins.h. If the pin numbers there don't match the board, change pins.h to reflect it. For example, if you see D12 on the board and 9 in the firmware, update pins.h to 12. I am pretty confused by this, because pins.h for the RAMPS is not wrong (trust me we'd know if it was, it's the most popular board out there). Grab pins.h from the latest Marlin version and use that, and see if it helps. If you modify pins.h yourself, make sure you are modifying the proper board, otherwise your changes won't mean anything.

You can find the latest version of Marlin here:
https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin

I have tries this but the pin config in the new firmware did not have the same options in the original firmware such as ext 0 is not available in the new firmware. It actually shows 4 or 5 different boards under 33 but only shows EXt1 in that firmware, not Ext0. I thought about changing EXT1 to EXT 0 but wasn't sure what I would screw up.
Any thoughts on that?

jagowilson wrote:

OK well that won't work. What are extruder 0 and temp 0 pins listed as on the board? In my pins.h, they are listed as pins 9 and 13 for RAMPS.

Let me go back and look at it again as I did not see EXT 0, I will get back to you in a min

59 (edited by sandcub1971 2015-12-07 18:32:15)

That firmware is different that the one we were trying to use ?

What does it mean when it says:
#define HEATER_0_PIN      8
#else
  #define HEATER_0_PIN     10   // EXTRUDER 1
#endif

It looks for pin 8 first then if not will use pin 10?

Also should I be using pin_ramps_13.h or pin_ramps_13EFB.h?

it's labelled HEATER_0_PIN, there is no EXT 0 pin number, there is E0_STEP_PIN, E0_DIR_PIN and E0_ENABLE_PIN. You can find HEATER_0_PIN on pins.h line 601 and TEMP_0_PIN on pins.h line 626

sandcub1971 wrote:

That firmware is different that the one we were trying to use ?

What does it mean when it says:
#define HEATER_0_PIN      8
#else
  #define HEATER_0_PIN     10   // EXTRUDER 1
#endif

It looks for pin 8 first then if not will use pin 10?

no, you're missing the #ifdef from the line before. I posted line numbers above, let me know if they do not match your setup.

Humm the pins I have open for the firmware you listed above: https://github.com/MarlinFirmware/Marlin only show around 200 lines?  Ok so which firmware should I start with, as I have 8 different ones downloaded. Then once I open that sketch, goto pins and try changing the HEATER_0_PIN and TEMp_0_PIN.

63 (edited by jagowilson 2015-12-07 18:38:23)

Start with the one that you've been using so far, it's the one wardjr linked you to on page one. Sorry for the confusion. The pins.h in that version will correctly reflect the line numbers I mentioned above.

Ok give me a few mins to get back to that point

The temp pin is my extruder thermistor?

I have mine set to line 601 10 and 626 13

OK, does that match what's written on the board? And yes, TEMP_0_PIN is extruder 0 thermistor pin

Yes that matches

Awesome. So if that gets your extruder heating up and working, what's next?

Ok could you give me a few min to load that firmware and check it out?
If it works the I have the endstop logic and autolevel left to do. I have tried coping the endstop logic from my old firmware but it gives errors when it is verified. Be right back uploading firmware.

Alright the heaters are up and running, Ill just have to change the thermistor setting later. The extruder tries to turn once its heated up but it just pulses rapidly. and the z does not move and the x/y axis move to one side and stop. So I guess that's next on the list.

72 (edited by jagowilson 2015-12-07 19:21:10)

Check the wires on your extruder motor to make sure they are well connected. Pulsing tells me that you may not have the stepper jumpers set up properly. Make sure they are configured for 1/16 stepping. If that doesn't work, try turning up VREF (with a non-conductive screwdriver). Also make sure the set screw on the gear is tight, and it's not skipping on the shaft.

X/Y axis moving to one side and stopping is an endstop issue. Use command M119 to get a readout of the endstop status. When none are pressed, all should read open. When pressed, an endstop should say TRIGGERED.

ok give me a few to get thru that

74 (edited by sandcub1971 2015-12-07 19:43:05)

jagowilson wrote:

Check the wires on your extruder motor to make sure they are well connected. Pulsing tells me that you may not have the stepper jumpers set up properly. Make sure they are configured for 1/16 stepping. If that doesn't work, try turning up VREF (with a non-conductive screwdriver). Also make sure the set screw on the gear is tight, and it's not skipping on the shaft.

X/Y axis moving to one side and stopping is an endstop issue. Use command M119 to get a readout of the endstop status. When none are pressed, all should read open. When pressed, an endstop should say TRIGGERED.

All grub screws and gears are tight.
m119 shows x/y min are triggered and the rest are open. all for endstop switches are mechanically open with signal on nc and ground on c.
The vref are set as per solidoodles website. 1 volt for x/y and 1.5 volts for z and extruder.
Don't know if this matters but they all worked fine at those voltages before I swapped boards.
as far as the steppers go I have all 3 jumpers installed under each stepper driver, the web site says it will make them default to 1/16, is that correct?

Does it matter that they used a different size stepper for the x and y?

To make X/Y min show open grab two extra jumpers and jump the -,S pins of X- and Y- ports on the board. Once you have that done, let's see if X and Y can move first. I'm not exactly sure where to go with the extruder motor at the moment so we'll hold back on that.