Re: Jigsaw Replacement mk4

solidoodlesupport wrote:

We've been mum about it, but there have been Jigsaw alternatives in the works. You might be able to catch one in some of the recent press photos.

I'd much rather "catch one" in the SD3 I have ordered instead of vapid marketing materials.  If you have a better design, and you aren't including it in shipping products, then you are really sticking it to your customers (and openly admitting it).

I think Solidoodle is still testing the new designs as they dont want to prematurely rush them to market.  Solidoodle has another thread going specifically for people interesting in testing their experimental designs prior to widespread release.

I've never had issues with my jigsaw, but then again I have never had to take it apart!  That doesn't mean that I havent done my due diligence and printed out the mk4 though.

I can clearly see that mk4 is superior desing compared to current jigsaw ... only question now is - in witch colour to print ? smile
Good job guys - i see now future in my solidoodle.

badgravity wrote:

I can clearly see ....

If you can clearly see, you must be looking through the Jigsaw... smile

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

I've just updated the tensioner arm file.

The new one is more robust , moves the bearing into slightly better alignment vertically and horizontally (should get better grip and drive) and should be marginally easier to print.

I suggest anyone having any issues with the the grip on the filament try this update.

I put a link on Soliwiki

http://www.soliwiki.com/Extruder

Lawsy, I wanted to personally thank you for saving my butt with the mk4 this weekend.  I got my first clog when the extruder fan stopped turning unexpectedly, and I noticed that my jigsaw looked to be in bad shape when removing the peek to unclog it.  Once I was back up and running, the first thing I did was print the mk4.  Good thing, because when I unscrewed the jigsaw, I found that it had many internal cracks and it fell apart into a zillion pieces. 

The mk4 is an immeasurably better design. The only thing I might try to add is some sort of soft brush (toothbrush head?) to clear abs dust from the gear while it prints.

Glad it was useful. Mk5 ideas like the brush to clean are now floating in my head. At some stage I will have a go at this and other improvements.

So I am working on installing this right now and I have a question about the nozzle, what exactly is the point of the piece of wood and do i need to keep it on here? also why is there a small piece of acrylic on it? it gets in the way trying to install and i just want to make sure it is okay to take off or what to do with it before i go on. thank you for the help!

http://imageshack.us/a/img13/6870/20130429130142.jpg

You need to unscrew the heater and nozzle to remove both for installation.

If you don't want to do this, search for the mk3 design which retains them.

I just break those off.

okay cool thank you.

Will lifting of the corners during the print significantly affect fit and finish during installation?

Pulled the trigger yesterday and unscrewed the jigsaw - to discover that it has shattered in many pices.
This Mk4 is cool ... just need some Z screw adjusting and testing.

ultra good job Lawsy cool

I find the wood piece useful for levering the hot end out of its relatively tight fit, and back in again (potentially while hot) ... though I did have to break off about one eighth of it to make the hot end fit in the mk4.

Is anyone selling these? the marketplace seems to be mostly whole machines and filament. After reading the jigsaw disassembly horror stories I'd like to have an Mk4 on hand in case my acrylic breaks. And even if it doesn't I might just upgrade when it's apart

I know the lesson here is that I should have printed it when things were going fine. but I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Maybe someone near you can print the parts, were do you live?

//Matte

Just print yourself a MK4 once you get your printer big_smile

Impulze: I'm in Ohio, specifically around the Toledo area.

Nlancaster: I have an SD2, had it for a few weeks now. I thought I had my first clog and might have to take apart the jigsaw. but after some poking around with wire and a few filament changes and a readjusting of the tension arm I was able to get a test print out of the thing. So I might be able to print my own (crosses fingers).

It would still be good to know where to get one if like me someone didn't plan ahead.

Dteck,

I live in Southeast MI (Adrian specifically), and work in Toledo (Near the Jeep Plant) if you need something printed in the future. My printer is a little busy until the first week in June due to needs for my daughter's wedding, but after that, I can do something  for you if you need it.

SD2
E3D V6
MK5 V6

Gordym wrote:

Dteck,

I live in Southeast MI (Adrian specifically), and work in Toledo (Near the Jeep Plant) if you need something printed in the future. My printer is a little busy until the first week in June due to needs for my daughter's wedding, but after that, I can do something  for you if you need it.

Thanks Gordym,
I think I was able to clear out my clog, and I've got an MK4 printing right now. But I do appreciate the offer, and I'll keep in mind how close you are in case I break anything in the future.

Anyone know what model of bearing that is on the tensioner arm?

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

605zz I believe; http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/605ZZ30-1 ... But don't quote me on it.

I just found my calipers. The originals are 16mm OD and 5mm wide. I am guessing then it is a 5mmx16mmx5mm? I think I am just going to order some 605zz (5mmx14mmx5mm). I think they will work just as well. Thanks Adrian!

SD3 w/ mods:
Glass bed with QU-BD heat pad upgrade, threadless ballscrew w/ 8mm smooth rod, spectra line belt replacement, lawsy MK5 extruder, Lawsy replacement carriage, E3D hotend, Ramps 1.4 w/ reprap discount controller, DRV8825 drivers, 12v 30A PS, Acrylic case, Overkill Y-idlers, Filament alarm, Extruder fan + more.

75 (edited by LdyMox 2013-05-27 00:36:06)

I installed this and having a real problem getting the filament not to tangle around the gears.

It keeps doing this http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=2186&download=0

Post's attachments

thetangle.jpg
thetangle.jpg 117.39 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
Tammy
Solidoodle 2
E3Dv6 Hotend, MK5 v6 version, Glass Bed, Anti Z backlash slop nut, SureStepr SD8825 1/32 Extruder Driver, makeshift breakaway plexiglass case; . L-Cheapo 3.8 Watt Laser Attachment w/Custom built enclosure
From Buffalo, NY, USA