Re: Question about the Solidoodle company

n2ri wrote:
KWICK wrote:
n2ri wrote:

brought to you by the good folks in China

Solidoodle stuff may have been assembled in the USA, but every component, except the 3D printed parts, were made in China.

yes but when they contracted Chine to make the Press, they signed Solidoodle and the design over to China basicly soon as original order was filled. all dies, design rights etc stay with China. so all funds spent on it are just gone and no more privacy laws to prevent China from cloning/selling that item for less as they did. that has happened to 100s of other campanies over the years. greed will kill a companies future faster than falling sales when you follow suit with competition that way.

if they would have stayed with their NY manufactured products this would have never happened, and Solidoodle would be the top consumer 3D printer USA manufacturer with best tech support too. there are many making plastic 3D printers like the Press already and doing better than Solidoodle done.

While I agree moving the jobs off to China may have been a bad idea specifically because of the intellectual property concerns, I think the real problems were poor customer support and long shipping delays. They aren't shutting down because a Chinese competitor is producing the same machines cheaper. They are shutting down because of how they handled their customers.

Solidoodle 4-Mostly stock running off headless Raspberry Pi with Octoprint

Morganism wrote:

While I agree moving the jobs off to China may have been a bad idea specifically because of the intellectual property concerns, I think the real problems were poor customer support and long shipping delays. They aren't shutting down because a Chinese competitor is producing the same machines cheaper. They are shutting down because of how they handled their customers.

Agreed. You have to produce quality products and ANSWER THE FRIKKIN' PHONE to keep customers happy and willing to spend money.

all part of the China syndrome. while busy jumping all the associated hurdles of doing business half way around the world the home fort fell apart

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

i guess taking off the workbench was only temporary, its back on the website haha

I've been waiting on an RMA replacement to be fulfilled since September.  I apparently sent my printer in right before they laid off all of their support staff.  The thing is, their support was very responsive and helpful for me right up until this happened so I went from having an extremely good opinion of them to feeling very frustrated with them at this point.

I see now they have a new version of the Press available as of November so they are obviously still in business somehow.  That gives me at least a little hope.  All I want for Christmas is for someone at Solidoodle to actually get back to me and resolve my RMA issue so that I can have a printer that I paid for.

shadowzen wrote:

All I want for Christmas is for someone at Solidoodle to actually get back to me and resolve my RMA issue so that I can have a printer that I paid for.

Good luck.  Personally, I would recommend calling your card company and putting in a charge back.  My company even has a pre-filled field for "returned item not credited".  Order a new printer if they turn it around and cut your losses from this one.  Just my advice.

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

So I received an email from customer support apologizing for the delay in my warranty. Maybe they will turn this mess around?

"We apologize for the delay in response time. We are currently short staffed and are having some difficulty getting back to all of our customer in a timely manner. However, we are bringing on a new team member who will be helping me out with tickets, emails, and calls. Our Main focus will be to clear out our entire back log of tickets, responding to all customers, and then moving forward, answering all of our customers in a timely manner. We thank you for your patience and understanding through this difficult time for us, however, I can assure you that we are working diligently to get back to of all our customers to get all issues resolved."

Let's hope so.

FuseBox 1.5 CoreXY - e3dv6 - Graphic Smart Display
Solidoodle 2 - e3dv6 - Hobb Goblin - e3d Titan - lawsy carriages - Direct Drive Y Axis - T8 Z axis - OctoPi

I'll post the reply I got from them over a month ago after I blasted them on FaceBook...after bfast :-)

Here ya go:

http://soliforum.com/i/?qbiGC8k.png

Post's attachments

Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 9.39.09 AM.png
Screen Shot 2015-12-16 at 9.39.09 AM.png 141.47 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

"Do not hesitate to reach out" lol...

Brad wrote:

Yeah, I've emailed her another dozen times with ZERO response....

Yeah, but don't hesitate to reach out. Obviously you hesitated, thats why they never replied. /s

KWICK wrote:
Brad wrote:

She doesn't work there anymore.

Workbench is back up on the site. Showing as "limited quantities available." My guess is they got some back.

Solidoodle 4-Mostly stock running off headless Raspberry Pi with Octoprint

My email from yesterday was "answered":

http://soliforum.com/i/?okSJHEo.png

117 (edited by n2ri 2015-12-18 05:17:03)

elmoret wrote:
KWICK wrote:
Brad wrote:

She doesn't work there anymore.

wow faster employee turn over than my Mortgage company LOL though a few did not last a week when I tried reaching them the 1st year they took over all the notes from bank america. thats how they made excuses and drug out resolving issues for many months. the ol "oh you last talked to who yesterday? they no longer work here, how can I help you today".think thats what they now call 'revolving credit" LMAO also seemed when Employees cleaned out desk they also took all notes etc from any customers cases with them. I finally ended up dealing with upper management through emails which I CC to others so they could not "loose" all copies. I still have 16 email addresses of past managers there from the last 3 months it took to get things resolved. I had to add questions to me first contact info like we all have you know besides "who am I speaking with?..." had to ask How long have you been working there and "did you have a dif job title since starting with them?" only 3 of the 60 people I talked with lasted over 30 days barely. its a sad corporate world nowadays.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Wow. I've been away for a long time. Sad to see the company imploding like this. I heard about all the new products they were trying to push out and thought at the time it was silly to try to expand such a niche market so quickly. Especially a tech as finicky 3d printing, where things rarely work properly on the first try and it requires a bit of learning and digging on the users part to get everything working.

Proud owner of a still perfectly functional SD3 here. Seeing that i may not be able to get replacement parts if i should need them in the future has me a bit concerned. but really just for the main board, everything else is off the shelf enough that it can be easily replaced from anywhere, and i'm sure a reprap or other mainboard can be made to work if necessary with some firmware edits.

I am sad for all the people with new problem printers, and orders that never arrived. SD3s were atleast reliable and easily modifiable, not sure if the newer models are still that way. Hang in there guys, 3d printing is a wonderful thing. it just takes time to get everything working, then you will wonder how on earth you managed without it.

you can upgrade everything on that SD3 just search this forum. I plan to get an old SD3 and make a better version of the new SD apprentice

n2ri wrote:

you can upgrade everything on that SD3 just search this forum. I plan to get an old SD3 and make a better version of the new SD apprentice

Thats why im happy i bought in when i did. Got a machine that was still based heavily on the open source roots of the hobby, so all the parts are either printed or widely available from many sources both foreign and domestic.

Best of all, its been a flawless performer once calibrated (and occasionally adjusted). Best purchase i've made in a "tool" in the past 10 years or so. Thats why im so bummed to see the company having problems. They had such a solid product, but they pushed too hard to expand, got mixed up with China, and now who knows. It will be a good startup cautionary tale, it nothing else.

true, thats how we all feel.

Looks like they shopped paying their ZenDesk support account:

http://support.solidoodle.com

elmoret wrote:

Yeah, all I want is to be able to download the PC version of SoliPrint for a new machine and now I can't even do that. Ugh.

Is there somewhere else to download?

waydo wrote:
elmoret wrote:

Yeah, all I want is to be able to download the PC version of SoliPrint for a new machine and now I can't even do that. Ugh.

I can email you the download files if you need it. However, If you go and purchase simplify3d software its expensive but its the best software ive every used. Plus, the soliprint software has cut out the ability to fine tune prints. that in mind as others will tell you slice3r and other free software are available.

Let me know

phunny96 wrote:
waydo wrote:
elmoret wrote:

I can email you the download files if you need it. However, If you go and purchase simplify3d software its expensive but its the best software ive every used. Plus, the soliprint software has cut out the ability to fine tune prints. that in mind as others will tell you slice3r and other free software are available.

Let me know

Thanks. I found a cached version of the site on archive.org that still had the download available, so I'm giving it a shot. I also use slic3r and rep host so there's that option.

This is a work machine so I can probably get them to pony up for simplify3d -- I've heard great reviews from others as well.