1 (edited by pirvan 2015-09-09 05:52:54)

Topic: From Scan to Printable Mesh Tutorial

In an effort to help our new Atlas users, I'm presenting this tutorial on how to go from a raw scan to a presentable and printable model.

Step 1.  Scan your model.  The settings for scanning will vary from model to model, and will also depend on your ambinet lighting.  This tutorial assumes you already have a usable scan.

Open your PLY file in MeshLab, then Click the "Show Layer" Icon.  This opens a layer dialog box on the right side.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9150

On the Layer dialog box, click the Points view.  This will show you only the point cloud.  Also turn off the Light.  This will lighten up the scene (removes shadows), and make it easier to see points in the cloud.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9151

On the main tool ribbon, click the Select Vertexes icon.  You can now select points in the cloud by holding the CTRL key, and dragging a box around the areas you want to select.  To deselect, hold the SHIFT key.  To delete the selected point press CTRL + Del.

Start cleaning up any noise or extra points that were created during the scan that don't belong in there.  Rotate and zoom the model to find all the stray points

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9152

Once the point cloud is clean, save your work so far, then on the layer dialog box, right-click the layer and select Duplicate Current Layer.  This creates a new layer, but without any color. 

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9153

Click the eye icon next to the original layer to hide it.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9155

Continues in the next post...

Post's attachments

tutorial-001.jpg 188.22 kb, 3 downloads since 2015-09-09 

tutorial-002.jpg
tutorial-002.jpg 171.71 kb, 3 downloads since 2015-09-09 

tutorial-003.jpg
tutorial-003.jpg 263.11 kb, 3 downloads since 2015-09-09 

tutorial-004.jpg
tutorial-004.jpg 231.75 kb, 4 downloads since 2015-09-09 

tutorial-005.jpg
tutorial-005.jpg 202.76 kb, 4 downloads since 2015-09-09 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

2 (edited by pirvan 2015-09-09 06:51:31)

Re: From Scan to Printable Mesh Tutorial

Tutorial Continued ...

Select the new layer.  From the main menu, select Filters/Point Set/Compute Normals for Point sets.  This realigns all the points in the cloud so they all line up coherently and point in the same direction.

In the Dialog box for Compute Normals, do the following:
Click the "Get" button.  This will populate the Viewpoint position values.  In the "Neighbour Num" enter a value larger than 20.  Usually 25-30 is good., then click apply.  Sometimes the this filter will invert all the points in the cloud, but that doesn't really matter, it can be fixed later

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9156

Now we need to reconstruct the mesh.  We will use the Surface reconstruction: Poisson filter for this.  Select Filters/PointSet/Surface Reconstruction:Poisson.  In the pop-up box, enter a value from 2-14 on the Octree Depth.  Values below 10 result in a simplified mesh with most of the detail lost.  Higher values give better results.  Values above 14 seem to crash the app.  You can also enter a number from 6-8 in the Solver Divide.  Click Apply

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9157

Depending on your PC, this might take a minute or two.  If the machine crashes repeatedly, reduce the Octree value.  When done, a new layer will be created with the new mesh.  Clcik the eye of the previous layer to hide it, turn the light back on so you can see the shading, and select the flat render (it should already be selected by default).

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=9158

NOTE:
Should you end up with an inverted point cloud (the model is very dark and can't see any detail), the new mesh will also be inverted.  To fix it, follow these steps:

• Click Filters/Selection/Select All, and in the pop-up box just click Apply.  This will select all the faces (they appear in red).

• Click Filters/Normals Curvature & Orientation/Invert Faces Orientation.  In the Pop-up box, the Force Flip check box should already be checked.  If not check it, then click Apply.  This will invert all the faces

• Click Filters/Selection/Select None, and in the pop-up box just click Apply.  The mesh will be deselected and all the faces in the mesh should be properly oriented (see image above).

That's it.  we now need to clean up and enhance our new mesh.  This is best done in MeshMixer.  But this is a tutorial for another time.

Post's attachments

tutorial-006.jpg
tutorial-006.jpg 280.9 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-09-09 

tutorial-007.jpg 293.31 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-09-09 

tutorial-008.jpg
tutorial-008.jpg 206.11 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-09-09 

3 (edited by pirvan 2015-09-09 06:54:23)

Here is the SF Giants Hello Kitty mesh cleaned up and slightly enhanced in MeshMixer.

Enjoy.

Post's attachments

SF Giants Kitty-100k.stl 4.77 mb, 83 downloads since 2015-09-09 

Fantastic job - thanks very much.

Excellent tutorial.

Thanks so much, pirvan! Exactly what I needed.

7 (edited by 8-Bits 2015-09-09 20:46:10)

@Pirvan - Thank you for the great effort and sharing the results.

Now I will have to see if I can change the figurine to the NY Yankees. wink

John

Maker Farm Prusa i3 kit (a very good first printer kit)
Printrbot Simple Metal kit (worked great from the start) ++ FlashForge Creator Pro (RTR out of the box)
Atlas 3D Scanner (KS Backer kit with mods)

8-Bits wrote:

Really ?!  I think you need to get your own Hello Kitty Yankees bobblehead and scan it, then follow this tutorial and post it here.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Bvac3TCCQAIu0un.jpg

You should be able to find them on eBay for about $40-50

9 (edited by scobo 2015-10-26 20:33:51)

@pirvan, is there any chance you could upload the PLY file for this model ?
I'm interested to see if I can get a mesh as smooth looking as yours.
I could PM you my email address if you'd rather send it that way.

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

Here is the point cloud of the Hello Kitty model.  I had to remove the mesh that is automatically generated by FreeLSS, but then again, that mesh is not used during the reconstruction described in this tutorial.

So if you guys want to try the tutorial on the actual point cloud used here, have fun!

NOTE:  After the compute normals filter executes, you might end up with an inverted point cloud (the image will look dark).  If that happens, continue with the Poisson reconstruction, the once that is done, follow the instructions at the bottom of post #2 to invert the mesh faces.

Post's attachments

SF Giants Kitty - point cloud only.ply 4.39 mb, 35 downloads since 2015-10-13 

Thanks pirvan, I'll have a go with it later and post my results.

12 (edited by scobo 2015-10-26 20:34:33)

Ok, just ran your file through Cloudcompare and the the result was a much smoother looking mesh so I must be using the correct settings for surface reconstruction.
On closer inspection of the point clouds, yours looks much cleaner (less noise) than mine.
Was that PLY file created with the Atlas scanner ?

13 (edited by pirvan 2015-10-13 22:30:14)

Yes.  There is always some noise, but the noise I get is not surface noise, it's usually due to reflections or improper lighting, and is outside the main body of the model, it appears as stray pixels.

This particular model was indeed created with the Atlas 3D, but there was also some clean up involved.  Not a lot on this particular model, but some.  The point cloud I posted was already cleaned up of stray noise, but there was no surface cleanup of any sort (you can see for yourself what it looks like before applying the filters).

I had never used Cloud Compare before, so I downloaded it and ran their version of the normals and poisson filters/plug-ins, and the surface quality output is a lot rougher than the MeshLab output.

Did you use MeshLab for your test or only CloudCompare?

14 (edited by scobo 2015-10-26 20:35:31)

Yeah, I gave it a go in both but like I say, Meshlab hangs on my laptop if I use an Octree depth higher than 7 so I couldn't really use that to it's full potential.
The results seemed pretty decent with Cloudcompare at Octree 9 or 10.

the Camera megapixels are likely the difference. I said this from the start when Makerbot used a very low quality camera but they said lasers dont matter with that and so did others likely from same view point. but we are still dealing in visual light here so I stick to my 1st statement and Atlas uses a much better Quality camera than most other scanners under the $5k price. so looks like I am correct. lasers have much sharper focus than any low quality camera can see after all. and different wave/color lasers also have different Kelvin of light source like any lighting higher goes Blue and finer contrast but lower goes Yellow and warmer more natural looking for human eyes to see. I have learned that helping my friend in his lighting biz and my Stained glass transparency scaled down windows for color matching for best visual appearance. for 3D printing scanning the Blue area gives us better detail for modeling unless using a color 3D printer like some new ones which I have zero interest in due to their own fall backs.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:

the Camera megapixels are likely the difference. I said this from the start when Makerbot used a very low quality camera but they said lasers dont matter with that and so did others likely from same view point. but we are still dealing in visual light here so I stick to my 1st statement and Atlas uses a much better Quality camera than most other scanners under the $5k price. so looks like I am correct. lasers have much sharper focus than any low quality camera can see after all. and different wave/color lasers also have different Kelvin of light source like any lighting higher goes Blue and finer contrast but lower goes Yellow and warmer more natural looking for human eyes to see. I have learned that helping my friend in his lighting biz and my Stained glass transparency scaled down windows for color matching for best visual appearance. for 3D printing scanning the Blue area gives us better detail for modeling unless using a color 3D printer like some new ones which I have zero interest in due to their own fall backs.

I would think using a UV laser would give you the best detail you could get from a camera of X megapixels. The issue is that most cameras have a cold and hot filter to block out UV and IR so the camera would need to be modified like my full spectrum camera is.
Of course you would have to calibrate from the cameras view since it convert the UV to visible but I still think UV would be best.

Also by UV I don't mean a purple BD laser, I mean a totally invisible to the naked eye UV laser which I don't believe they have a solid state version of. Most are IR which would also work but with lower detail due to it being beyond the visible red range.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

17 (edited by scobo 2015-10-26 20:36:44)

According to some of the folk on the David laser scanner forum, a green laser that can be focused works best.

18 (edited by 8-Bits 2015-10-19 18:18:13)

pirvan wrote:
8-Bits wrote:

Really ?!  I think you need to get your own Hello Kitty Yankees bobblehead and scan it, then follow this tutorial and post it here.

No, just to close my post it was supposed to be a joke.  Actually, I have a NY Yankee Hello Kitty that they gave away at a game in the summer of 2014.

John

Maker Farm Prusa i3 kit (a very good first printer kit)
Printrbot Simple Metal kit (worked great from the start) ++ FlashForge Creator Pro (RTR out of the box)
Atlas 3D Scanner (KS Backer kit with mods)

There is an alignment tool in meshlab that should allow to combine several meshes into one... is it efficient? if yes one should not need meshmixer, right?

this is only available in 64bit

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

OK for those not familiare with this app. where do we find tools like Zoom, undo, and others talked about but not explained?

You can zoom using the mouse scroll wheel. As far as I know there is no undo. There are some really good video tutorials on YouTube also.

yeah had to dig out my mouse that had a wheel. what about if no wheel? lol

n2ri wrote:

Hold the SHIFT key and drag up and down

pirvan wrote:
n2ri wrote:

Hold the SHIFT key and drag up and down

they should list that in the shortcut list popup with the Mouse wheel. most use arrow keys, an icon with manifier to use drag up/down, cntrl+z... also most have a U arrow in Edit for undo so ya dont loose everything in 1 wrong click between saving