Re: Hello All!

No i have kapton. I was referring to the black stuff almost looks like duct tape.(i know it isn't)

The black tape is unique to SD and I see it as their trade mark. You don't need it as Kapton will work just as well and is used by all other brands that still tape parts in place.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

it is an insulating ring made up of a fiberglass material inside and rubber on the outside. and it is a necessity with a solidoodle stock hotend so the thermistor will read halfway decent, being as how it is taped to the outside of the heat block.

if you are gentle with it, you should be able to slip it off with no problem, and re-use it. it does have a little give to it. i was able to do so with mine...

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

His looked pretty baked on with old filament from the images he posted... But maybe if he is gentle.

heartless wrote:

it is an insulating ring made up of a fiberglass material inside and rubber on the outside. and it is a necessity with a solidoodle stock hotend so the thermistor will read halfway decent, being as how it is taped to the outside of the heat block.

if you are gentle with it, you should be able to slip it off with no problem, and re-use it. it does have a little give to it. i was able to do so with mine...

that is what i was worried about, lol  seriously thinking about upgrading.

if you do decide to upgrade, contact elmoret at filastuder.com - an E3D is a great upgrade. If you are on a budget, the lite6 is a very good option.

If you can afford to splurge a little, the E3D V6 is a great upgrade and will allow much more flexibility in filament options

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater

In agreement and addition to what heartless said, check out the E3D Volcano and Hobb Goblin as well. The Volcano allows large nozzles which means faster printing and is more PLA-friendly than smaller nozzles. I recommend the Hobb Goblin because it really helps resolution. Once I tried them both on one machine, I bought them for my other units without looking back!

However, neither are mandatory for upgrading to the E3D.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

58 (edited by switchblade5984 2015-09-19 05:44:08)

new PSU installed!  LEDs are solid, no more flickers, gotta love accurate reporting of the thermistor,  temp is at 150c and printing PLA.  Moire is still there, new ceramic drivers should be here soon.

I adjusted the Pots on the board, E was over 1v, X, Y, and Z were all about 1.3 to 1.4v.

So they are all correct now, E is down to .256v and the others are at 1.02 to 1.04 
the Moire is pretty much gone.  which is awesome.

however now i am getting some seperation in layers,
http://soliforum.com/i/?K84X2TX.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?7ze9115.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?ns6Q61F.jpg

calculated E steps are at 100 steps per mm.
RH says i am at 170c extrude(stock head so temp is inaccurate)
I leveled the bed again, adjusted the Z end stop

any suggestions would be appreciated!  super big thank you Azerate and Heartless and others, for all the help.

Looks to me like your temp is too low. What is your actual hotend temp?

dont know. I only know what is in RH

You need to get a thermometer of the contact type such as a digital cooking thermometer or a DMM with a thermocouple so you can confirm your actual bed and hot end temp. This is s tool that should be in every 3d printers tool box. I have never seen a printer of mine nor the two where I work where the reported temp was the same as actual. I saw anywhere from 5 to 35 degrees difference.

bump up the temp a few degrees at a time... 2 or 3, and see if that helps.

I have some ABS that is notorious (in my world) for doing what you have pictured - especially if run through my E3D - not as bad through the stock SD nozzle. Temp is a big factor with this particular filament. (and I wont be buying it again - don't particularly like it)

Quality of the filament is a HUGE factor in this "hobby". Some brands are better than others.

Speed is a factor as well, but I am guessing you haven't tinkered too much with that yet?

No i played with speed a little. But i believe I reverted the settings back to stock.

I increased the temps, bought a temp gun, seems to work on everything but the printer, its reading about half the temp displayed.  tried hitting the nozzle, the heat block from the top.  80c  i had it about 175  printed better at 178

66 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-09-26 02:45:31)

switchblade5984 wrote:

I increased the temps, bought a temp gun, seems to work on everything but the printer, its reading about half the temp displayed.  tried hitting the nozzle, the heat block from the top.  80c  i had it about 175  printed better at 178

Those IR non-contact guns won't work very well on the hot ends due to the heat source being so small. That is why I suggested a cooking thermometer as you have to actually make contact and the read more accurately and can handle the temps. I got a nice little digital one in Krogers cooking section for like 10 bucks. I also got a DMM with a thermocouple for measuring temps at Harbor Freight for 25 bucks.

If you get the correct thermometer you can see what the actual is then just make an adjustment to compensate for the variance. In many cases I have same a difference of as much as 30 degrees. That was due to having the wrong thermistor selected when uploading the firmware.

Ran PID autotune, that seemed to help, i can now print ABS in a gimped capacity, printer is at 216c and barely printing the ABS.

id love to drop 70-80 on a E3D but i cant at the moment,
i am still using the acrylic Jigsaw, as i cannot print ABS components.

what options are out there,
I have seen the E3d Knocks, which for now are more affordable,(they have PTFE above the heat break) I also dont want to assemble it as of right now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Printer-E3D- … 280704b46d

I should be able to remove the bowden adapter, this would then fit in the printer, loosing some Z till i could print out a proper carriage?

switchblade5984 wrote:

Ran PID autotune, that seemed to help, i can now print ABS in a gimped capacity, printer is at 216c and barely printing the ABS.

id love to drop 70-80 on a E3D but i cant at the moment,
i am still using the acrylic Jigsaw, as i cannot print ABS components.

what options are out there,
I have seen the E3d Knocks, which for now are more affordable,(they have PTFE above the heat break) I also dont want to assemble it as of right now.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3D-Printer-E3D- … 280704b46d

I should be able to remove the bowden adapter, this would then fit in the printer, loosing some Z till i could print out a proper carriage?

Try the E3D Lite, it is only 35 bucks or so..

I realize that option is out there, however not what i am looking for.

E3D knockoffs are quite poor quality, subject to jamming especially with PLA.

The E3D Lite6 is definitely the cheapest reliable hotend out there. The only other option is a genuine J-head from hotends.com,w which is $60+ shipped.

Don't fool yourself...the Lite6 is a spectacular hotend!
If you haven't seen it, myself and Jagowilson gave our reviews here and I continued to run it until a few weeks ago.
It still runs great, but I wanted to compare it to the v6. I haven't really noticed much of a difference since the switch.

Please do not go with the clones. You would deeply regret it in due time, have to buy a true E3D anyway, and be out the cost of the clone.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

72 (edited by switchblade5984 2015-09-28 04:54:49)

no pressure eh?(thank you for the push)  i messaged elmoret hopefully he can clear a few questions
I am printing the MK5  carriage redone by wardjr
anything else i should print?

USPS, did not deliver sad  hopefully tomorrow and i can join the E3d Crowd.

got the E3D V6lite in and have it up and printing with the hobgoblin, im back to running calibrations, but i nca now print ABS without overheating.  took tons of pics, and i will have a write up on installation start to finish.

Well Done! Congrats.

Once you get your ABS settings dialed in, reprint your plastic parts in ABS at a high density infill (80% or better) and replace any PLA parts as soon as you can. ABS will hold up much better than PLA will