Re: Hello All!

HOLY $#!^!!! SECURE THAT WIRE!!! You are risking the life of your board at LEAST!

All aside, the wavy pattern you see is called moire. You can combat this a number of ways, your primary attempt should be adjusting the E VREF on your board. It is recommended you use a ceramic screwdriver for this.
Also, this lifting issue for that size of a print should not be an issue. Adjust your Z a touch closer to the nozzle. You want your first layer to look like a ribbon, but not to the point it overlaps layers with large ridges. A great way to test this without wasting much filament is to enable a skirt in Slic3r. If the skirt isn't fat and flat, it's too far. If the first layer infill blobs up, it's too close.

Just a couple small adjustments and you are good to go!

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

That wiring looks a bit DANGEROUS> 
In my homework research from building a couple cnc machines it is bad practice to have a switch in that location it can blow out driverers. Not to mention the bare wires that could short against something. if you want a switch put it on the AC side.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

Everything was disconnected when that picture was took, that was after i unwrapped the loads of electrical tape...  Fixed the connections, and reconnected the switch.

so my x is off by a little. 
X axis     Measured 21.00  specified 20.
Y axis     Measured 20.02  specified 20.
Z axis     Measured 20.14  specified 20

I am not sure how to adjust the Gcode to fix X.
I adjusted the Filament flow, as it was to high, which caused the majority of blobs.  I also played with the Zstop to get the proper bed height, although i believe it may still be a little off.

I am now also using RH and Slic3r.

http://soliforum.com/i/?d6oiXuk.jpg

Looking better than before.
Personally, I adjust my E driver by ear, then tweak by layer appearance. I have seen where stepper drivers, boards, and ever (cheap) meters can alter the reading. The voltage readings should be close yet rough as they will read different between users in many occasions.
Back to my point:
The E needs to be adjusted more. The waves and vertical ridges are the moire effect I mentioned. This is caused by the "pulsing" of the extruder.

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

have not played with E yet, was wondering how to adjust steps for X, i found the calculations but not how to enter it.

also i am running firmware 1.0

The X adjustment you seek is the steps per mm for that axis. They must beset in the firmware and then uploaded to the machine again. Unless your host allows you to access the EEPROM data then you can set them there.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

32 (edited by switchblade5984 2015-09-16 04:50:43)

okay so basically i need to figure out how to update the firmware!  cool, thanks.

lol well, that seems to not be easy with a Rev E Printrboard. 
http://support.solidoodle.com/hc/en-us/ … 0-Firmware
there is no "Go to Tools, Boards, and select either "[USBtinyISP]Teensylu/Printrboard" or "[BootloaderCDC]Teensylu/Printrboard]"

Rh will allow you to adjust axis steps pid and a few other things from the main control panel . look for firmware eprom config under the config dropdown.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

what Tin Falcon said - with printer on and connected to RH, go to the Config menu, in the middle of the drop-down is Firmware EEPROM Configuration. Open that and you can enter changes for steps/mm and other things in there.

Before making any changes, however, make note of the default settings just in case you need to revert back. There is a "restore factory settings" button, but it is always good to have these things written down somewhere, just in case...

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

35 (edited by switchblade5984 2015-09-17 00:15:20)

Thanks,
I changed the settings
New
x: 83.80
y: 88.00
z: 2252.23< tried this and went back to the original value.
Orig
x: 88.00
y: 88.00
z: 2268.00

Cube I just Printed measured out well

@Azerate, i printed a slightly larger piece, and now i can see exactly what you are talking about, since this one has bridges, instead of being solid, the pla comes out in bursts, or pulses as you put it, i ordered a ceramic screwdriver set, wont be here for a while, i need to adjust E which looks like its the top pot, how do i determine the value?

also had a nice glob of something come out the nozzle, burned up some PLA, i think it may have been to hot, or it worked out a clot,  so far the print looks good.

switchblade5984 wrote:

Cube I just Printed measured out well

@Azerate, i printed a slightly larger piece, and now i can see exactly what you are talking about, since this one has bridges, instead of being solid, the pla comes out in bursts, or pulses as you put it, i ordered a ceramic screwdriver set, wont be here for a while, i need to adjust E which looks like its the top pot, how do i determine the value?

also had a nice glob of something come out the nozzle, burned up some PLA, i think it may have been to hot, or it worked out a clot,  so far the print looks good.

For the E there is no set value. it is different for every machine. You just need to adjust while extruding and see the change.

okay, i will work on that.

http://soliforum.com/i/?2cnm2D7.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?65gSUCT.jpg

okay so the two outside pieces look fine, however the middle isnt,  while its printing just the center portion, the bed is even rocking since the nozzle is almost inside the print.  is this why PLA needs a fan?  is there an acceptible way to install a 30mm fan on the stock PSU? since the LEDs already dim out occasionally.

If your LED's are dimming it could be the source of much of your problems. If the power going to the motors is not clean and stable it can cause issues. Poor or underrated PSU's can also cause issue with maintaining temps and heating. Before you do anything else I would change your supply to a 400 watt minimum. 45 + amps is preferred for newer machines with light stripes and multiple fans and heaters.

40 (edited by switchblade5984 2015-09-17 00:54:31)

even though the machine is stock? 
I was looking into
http://www.amazon.com/Switching-Power-S … wer+supply

41 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-09-17 01:00:11)

switchblade5984 wrote:

even though the machine is stock? 
I was looking into
http://www.amazon.com/Switching-Power-S … wer+supply

Many of these supplies are Chinese and cheap. They might do what they are rated at and many die within a few hours or days of being powered up out of the box. You can test it by measuring the output voltage with the machine printing and see if it is the specified output and stable. If not then it could contribute to many issues.

The linked supply is the same supply most machines ship with. Your mileage will vary. I personally would want more than 30 amps. The bed heater alone can pull upwards of 20 while reaching temp. Then about 15 amps keeping temp. The hot end can do another 9 to 12 then the motors each will do 1 to 1.2 or so. Your LED's are probably another 3+ or so.

You can never have a supply that will supply too much current. It is always better to have too much then too little when it comes to current.

well i just looked at this power supply, its 12v, and 12.5A  0.0  so i think im going to do that upgrade. LOL

43 (edited by switchblade5984 2015-09-17 15:54:54)

rechecked the extrusion steps, and they were a bit off, new print looks MUCH better.

was extruding an extra 35mm  >.<
http://soliforum.com/i/?uRnr6HY.jpg

44 (edited by heartless 2015-09-17 21:33:17)

Yes, second one definitely looks much better! I have never printed Marvin in PLA, but I have done him in ABS...many times over... my favorite two... i really like the Hatchbox Gold ABS.

http://soliforum.com/i/?K5P7Vvn.jpg

the larger one is Advanced Marvin, which can be found on thingiverse.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

im still having a problem calibrating x and y, i tried two of the Nickle calibrations, and both failed, by about 1.5 to 2 mm  yet on the 20mm cube, it is correct.

Not sure if you are aware of this but all filament has a shrinkage factor and it is different with each spool. If you got your cube dialed in then that means your steps per mm are correct for that spool.

Now of course we dont want to change our steps per mm with each roll. So you print a shrinkage test. I use a 30mm block with a 10mm bore through it on the the Z and Y axis. I know it should be 30mm so if it is offvthen I add or subtract that difference to or from my model during designing.

The odd thing in your case I assume the nickle test is the same filament as the cube. If so then your extrusion multiplier may need to be tweaked.

it is the same filament, and i have measured it, this filament was actually pretty dead on to 1.75  the multiplier is a .9

I tried heating up the printer for ABS, but it seems that it wont go that high, keeps giving the M999 error.  which people have said it the Thermistor, specifically the wiring, but i dont see anything wrong with it, its all factory taped.  there are the 2 connectors, a red and a blue, not sure which is the therm, but both look fine.

48 (edited by carl_m1968 2015-09-18 05:20:30)

Try changing your multiplier to compensate for the difference. Higher for an object smaller than designed and lower for an object that is larger. The pictures still look like your over extruding a little. On a round object or even a square object that over extrusion would add width on all sides.

49 (edited by switchblade5984 2015-09-18 05:33:12)

what is this tape on the heater block? is it okay to remove it? can it be replaced?

switchblade5984 wrote:

what is this tape on the heater block? is it okay to remove it? can it be replaced?

If it is orange, then it is Kapton. Its the same tape many of use on our beds. You kan buy it on ebay in various widths.