Topic: Solidoodle Motherboard

I am very unhappy with Solidoodle. They decide to end with support for old printer but didnt give any options.
I have fried my motherboard and I dont even know where to start.

I have a SD2 Pro, I dont know which motherboard to buy. I am thinking about a Sanginololu 1.3a + 4 stepper driver A4988 (from what I understand they are necessary).

I think I also need to adapt the power supply, but I dont know how. Where can I find a full guide to do the upgrade ?

Best regards

Re: Solidoodle Motherboard

I am very unhappy with Solidoodle. They decide to end with support for old printer but did not give any options.

Relax take a breath. Welcome to the brave new world of fix it yourself consumer goods. Society has gone from  repairable product with field support to. disposable cheap goods. and now we have stuff to expensive to toss but no factory support. As far as option any reprap board should work.
IIRC the rumba  has a good rep and easy to install.
The sd3 and 4 use the printboard.
And some here have installed basic ramps boards.
http://reprap.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Electronics

If you get a board with plug in stepper drivers you need the drivers. Also if the board has pins for connectors you need the right connectors the rumba has screw terminals for simplicity.

Decide what board you want to install I am sure some here will make suggestions. The google for a page to install that board. take a photo of the old board for reference make sure you understand all the connection points. Disconnect the old board  remove the old board  install the new one you will likely have to flash the firmware so research that .  I am sure folks here can help. if you are uncomfortable with this search for a local maker space there may be someone there that can help..

Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

There are plenty of options for "upgrading" the controller board. One of the most common ones is found here: http://www.soliforum.com/topic/2816/how … ontroller/

Some of us have used Rumba boards, but, be advised there is a known issue with the USB chip on some of these boards...

Others have tried other boards... a search will turn up lots of info

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Hi all thank you for your support and relaxing words.

Well my SD2 use a printrboard so I can buy the generic one and install it right ? There is some rev e on internet but Printrbot is now selling the rev f will it work (the rev f come with digital potentiometer)?

From what I saw, using the generic printrboard, the only difference is the absence of pins for the LED.

My second option is to install the Sanguinololu 1.3a. the pins looks the same and easy to plug and the schematic is clear, I think I could also connect the leds.

Some dealers says that they sell the board flashed, how do I know it is the good firmware ?

I think I will have to decide between these two options. I let you know.
Do you know a good dealer with fast shipping ?

5 (edited by Kronikabuse 2015-07-19 14:18:36)

I just did the  RAMPS upgrade. was pretty easy and cheap

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

damas_j wrote:

Hi all thank you for your support and relaxing words.

Well my SD2 use a printrboard so I can buy the generic one and install it right ? There is some rev e on internet but Printrbot is now selling the rev f will it work (the rev f come with digital potentiometer)?

From what I saw, using the generic printrboard, the only difference is the absence of pins for the LED.

My second option is to install the Sanguinololu 1.3a. the pins looks the same and easy to plug and the schematic is clear, I think I could also connect the leds.

Some dealers says that they sell the board flashed, how do I know it is the good firmware ?

I think I will have to decide between these two options. I let you know.
Do you know a good dealer with fast shipping ?

If you have a choice between a Printerboard or a Sanguinololu board, choose the Sang.  It is easy to flash firmware and the steppers are replaceable.  That's the board that originally came on earlier SD's until they switched to the cheaper Printerboard.
Past that go get a Rumba.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Hi, I finally choose the generic printboard. I will also buy the Sanguinololu since I currently have a Geeetech with the sanguinololu board. Thinking of this it helps me to learn more so once again thank you for your help.

Best regards

so why not stick with the sang ? IMHO the only advantage of the printboard is it is a little cheaper.  and the big disadvantage is if a driver goes belly up you have to replace the board.
Tin

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura