Re: Upgrading hotend: Airwolf HD2x to E3D V6 + Volcano

You can do anything from 0.25mm up to 1.2mm with E3D hotends.

102 (edited by josh.aeauto 2015-08-05 02:14:19)

We're more interested in speed and strength than their visual appeal, so we are using a larger nozzle.

EDIT: Also the material difference makes a huge difference in quality, unless you're using PC... ABS comes out a lot smoother and more crisp than PC.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Airwolf HD2x w/ E3D v6 + Volcano
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577

rmonroe wrote:

I'm more interested in quality and detail than speed, but a good balance between the two is good also. I don't have anything specific in mind. when I get to work tomorrow I will see if I can come up with something, unless you have something that you have already run? have you run anything with a little more detail in it than the round part you have shown?

Just to help make this clearer for you:
Josh is currently using the E3D v6 with the E3D Volcano. These are two different items.
The Volcano is designed for speed and stregth, This translates to taller and wider toolpaths.
This does not mean the E3D v6 is a bad choice by any means. The standard v6 has a .4 nozzle (possible for the Volcano, but a separate purchase), but can be as fine as  a .25mm nozzle. This will give you the performance, reliability, and resolution you are looking for.

With higher speeds comes less resolution. With higher resolution comes spectacular quality, but impatience. With proper settings, a .4mm nozzle is a great midline size. But it seems like josh is using a larger size, which would make the shootout nul and void since you have different expectations

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!

104 (edited by josh.aeauto 2015-08-06 13:53:41)

Here's your STL files.

Some brief notes:
-This will be best printed at 75% or higher and in PC if you have it. I'm sure ABS would do fine if that's all you have but PC will hold up better to the heat and it's more rigid.
-You'll need supports for these parts but make sure your printer doesn't add support inside the ziptie holes. Unless you're using dissolvable support it's nearly impossible to clean it out. *This might be something I can fix with the design. Suggestions are welcome.

You'll need the following:
(2x) M3x20 Socket Head Cap Screw
(2x) M3x45 Socket Head Cap Screw
(4x) M3 Hex Nut
(4x) Small zip ties
(2x) E3D v6 + Volcano Bowden Hotends

If you plan to print at temperatures over 290C, you will need the following:
(2x) E3D Thermocouple
(2x) E3D Thermocouple board

I recommend getting the E3D parts from Filastruder. They are knowledgeable and always happy to help you if you come across any issues. I've placed several orders with them and they've always been outstanding. If you want to trade some of the larger nozzle sizes for smaller ones, I'm sure Tim (elmoret) will work with you on that. Get in touch with them through their website and they'll help you put together the parts you need. http://www.filastruder.com/collections/e3d-hotends

I will have a write-up for you in a day or two to help with the firmware and wiring.

EDIT: Also, if you want to just go with a standard v6, That's possible too, like AZERATE said. Standard v6 might be better for you since you're more interested in quality. Just let me know so I can pull the mount down 10mm as the standard v6 is shorter than the volcano.

Post's attachments

E3D_Airwolf_Hotend_Mount_Back_REV3.STL 122.64 kb, 7 downloads since 2015-08-06 

E3D_Airwolf_Hotend_Mount_Front_REV3.STL 63.85 kb, 5 downloads since 2015-08-06 

E3D_Airwolf_Hotend_Mount_Top_REV3.STL 189.14 kb, 4 downloads since 2015-08-06 

Endstop_Spacer.STL 8.29 kb, 7 downloads since 2015-08-05 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577

funny thing happened today, I emailed Airwolf3d about a week or 2 ago. a not so nice email about how unhappy and frustrated I was with my print quality and reliability. that is what drove me to find your forum and explore modifying my existing printer. today I received an email from a Jack Licorish from airwolf3d apologizing and offering me a $3,200 trade-in credit on there new Axiom printer. my boss has given me permission to go either way, but now I am not sure what to do. i really appreciate all the information that you guys have given me and don't want to seem like i was being untruthful when i made my first inquiry.

my dilemma is do i pay $800 and get a brand new single head printer with auto leveling and heated build chamber or to i pay a little over $300 and fix my existing 2 head printer which i have already build a heated build chamber for? what do you guy think.

106 (edited by josh.aeauto 2015-08-06 13:23:55)

The axiom seems like a good printer, but I don't think you'll come out any better as far as quality. Sure, it's auto-leveling, and that's really nice. And it's a brand new printer. But they really didn't change anything on it. The hotend is still a JRx hotend (only in a different case to fit the CoreXY system), and it's still pretty much the same printer. The only difference is you'll be trading two nozzles for one.

In the end it's totally up to you and getting a new printer would be nice. But I don't see much benefit compared to upgrading your hotend. It would be more work, but it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Edit: It does look like maybe they changed the heater to a 40 watt cartridge type. But that's still not going to solve your quality problem

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

josh.aeauto wrote:

The axiom seems like a good printer, but I don't think you'll come out any better as far as quality. Sure, it's auto-leveling, and that's really nice. And it's a brand new printer. But they really didn't change anything on it. The hotend is still a JRx hotend (only in a different case to fit the CoreXY system), and it's still pretty much the same printer. The only difference is you'll be trading two nozzles for one.

In the end it's totally up to you and getting a new printer would be nice. But I don't see much benefit compared to upgrading your hotend. It would be more work, but it's up to you to decide if it's worth it.

Edit: It does look like maybe they changed the heater to a 40 watt cartridge type. But that's still not going to solve your quality problem

^everything he said...
Plus for roughly $300 you will get the best hot ends on the market.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Just by way of update on the original topic:

I did my first dual-extrusion print today. I set the extruder offset in firmware to 30mm, a 10mm increase from the original hotend. I printed PC on extruder 1 and ABS on extruder 2. They're both the same color (black is pretty much all we have), but you can still tell where they meet.

I don't think any further adjustments need to be made.

http://soliforum.com/i/?knADRre.jpg

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Nice work!

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

Filastruder PC and ABS?

111 (edited by josh.aeauto 2015-08-08 00:55:15)

Filastruder PC and storebought (online) ABS.

It was really nice to be able to print two different materials at two different temperatures.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Sorry if i'm rehashing old info. I have all the parts in place for the hdx with a single e3dv6. I cannot seem to get the firmware updated for the correct temp sensor. I get constant errors trying to use arduino, and yes, I added the LiquidTWI2.h and ccp files but now I get the no member named buzz error. I guess I'm wondering if someone who knows what they are doing, (not me by the way), can just like or send me the hex file or for the correct temp sensor? I'm at a complete loss here....

Thank you in advance!http://soliforum.com/i/?flCKYfI.png

Nevermind. I deleted all files, redownloaded and tried again, all is well!!!!! so freaking happy!!!! Now i wait for the new glass plate.... on a side note I cannot juggle a glass plate.

jjhowardiv wrote:

Nevermind. I deleted all files, redownloaded and tried again, all is well!!!!! so freaking happy!!!! Now i wait for the new glass plate.... on a side note I cannot juggle a glass plate.

Post pics when you get it up and running!

Just out of curiosity, what was your reason for switching hotends?

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Hey guys, I've purchased 2 e3d v6 and designed my own mount. I'm trying to hook up the thermocouples and ran into a problem. Do I plug them in place of thermistors? Then where do you run the 5v from? The only way i managed to make it work is to plug the 5v and ground into analog extension pin 1 and 2  and signal to pin 8. This required updating pins.h  (#define TEMP_0_PIN 8). But now I don't know where to plug in the second thermocouple. Please help!

116 (edited by josh.aeauto 2016-02-29 17:08:48)

I'm assuming that you're using a thermocouple board. In that case:

There is a 5V supply directly to the right of the HEAT0 output, but I had to solder my own header to it.

I'm using analog pins 4 and 6 for the signal.

In the firmware,

#define TEMP_0_PIN 0

#define TEMP_1_PIN 1

then becomes the following:

#define TEMP_0_PIN 3

#define TEMP_1_PIN 4

(This info credited to Tim at Filastruder)

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

117 (edited by bananapunk 2016-03-01 05:58:21)

thanks a lot, this is going to help! Yes, i'm using 2  thermocouple boards. I'm attaching my current setup for 1 thermocouple.

Counting from bottom left corner, I take power from pin1, ground is pin2 and signal pin 7 (however in pins.h it's called analog pin 8).

Would it be possible for you to specify exactly where to wire second thermocouple? And what analog pin nr to specify in pins.h?

thanks again

Post's attachments

RAMBoV13L.jpg 3.05 mb, 1 downloads since 2016-03-01 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

118 (edited by josh.aeauto 2016-03-01 21:33:08)

You can use any of the auxiliary pins for the second thermocouple. If you're using pin 7, I would use pin 5 right beside it.

I afraid I can't be of any help on the numbering. All I can say for sure is that pins 4 and 6 on the RAMBo board are assigned pins 3 and 4 in pins.h. Someone else might be able to shed more light on that than I can.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Thanks. And power/ground I can run from same pins in parallel with the first thermocouple?

That's correct, power it in parallel.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

thanks, will give it a try tonight. Also I will probably submit here my own hotend mount- rather then modify airwolf's i made one from skratch, so reduced the weight from 120 to 30 grams.

It worked!

summarizing, for those interested:
-i plugged in 5v and ground input of both thermocouples, in parallel, to pin 1 and 2 respectively, of the analog extension port.
-signal of thermocouple 1 plugged to pin 4
-signal of thermocouple 2 plugged to pin 6

edited pins.h:
#define TEMP_0_PIN 3
#define TEMP_1_PIN 4

I'll keep you posted on how my new hotends are doing.

123 (edited by bananapunk 2016-03-03 17:01:11)

here's my hotend mount, what do you think? 1 piece holds on to the rails and small clamp secures the hotends to it. The rail clamp's got screws for regulating X tilt and getting the nozzles level (didn't have any small screws handy). Also added some extra screw holes for accessories, like the part fan or z probe. Currently for cooling the part I use 2 hoses with a powerful external radial fan (not in the picture, need redesign)

http://soliforum.com/i/?mlMATC9.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?rhSXoml.jpg
http://soliforum.com/i/?kkaSNYa.jpg

Guys, what retraction settings do you use? Namely Length, speed, acceleration? Both hotends are printing fine till they hit an area that needs some retraction, can't even print the hollow piramid torture test, it clogs big time the moment it hits the legs. And I mean it clogs so bad i have to disassemble hotend and burn it with a torch to be able to push filament through. It's not the nozzle, filament solidifies in the heatsink part. The heatsink is cool to touch, so I don't think it's heat creep, more like hot filament actually gets sucked in there and expands.

I'm currently using 6mm retract, is it excessive? I was using 7mm on the oryginal (buddaschnozzle?)
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:29429

I also wonder if the minimum distance between retracts should be always higher then retract distance?

BTW do you have much play in the bowden couplinks? On retract/extrude I can see the tube move back and forth good 2mm on each side. I suspect if I stop this I can reduce my retract distance.

I

125 (edited by jagowilson 2016-03-08 02:04:29)

You don't need much on an E3D. Direct drive I use 0.5mm for ABS and 0.8mm for PLA. While I don't have much experience with Bowden, you should start at these numbers and go up in increments of 0.5mm until you have enough. Maybe 2-3mm max. If you're pulling all the way up into the heatsink, you are using way, way, way too much. The goal is to relieve pressure, but you do not want the plastic to get into the cold zones.

The Bowden collet is in the "locked" position when it is pushed up. I've seen some people on here print a half circle to hold it in the upright position. If it's coming loose on you this may not be a bad idea to implement.