Re: Upgrading hotend: Airwolf HD2x to E3D V6 + Volcano

You should not use more than 2mm of retraction, E3D discusses this in their documentation.

http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/E3D-v6_Troubleshooting

You're pulling hot material up into the cold part of the hotend, where it cools immediately and sticks to the walls of the hotness.

You should pull up on the collet as you push the tubing in. Doing this will lock it in the up position. If you don't like that approach, you can cut a credit card or print a plastic ring to hold the collet up.

i've reduced it to 2mm and also put a few drops of oil into the extruder- no more jams, hurray! However stringing is pretty nasty. Will try the coupling clip now. How much retraction are you guys using with your airwolf bowden+e3d ?

Stringy suggests too hot. Look at the guidelines offered by simplify3d for a fix to stringiness.

I'm joining this group as I, too, have an airworlf3d hd2x I would like to upgrade to something from e3D. I am interested in the chimera but the information provided here makes a change easily acceptable.

Gotta read some more but did you come up with an Arduino file for this new machine?
Most appreciated,
Robert

rwilson wrote:

Stringy suggests too hot. Look at the guidelines offered by simplify3d for a fix to stringiness.

I'm joining this group as I, too, have an airworlf3d hd2x I would like to upgrade to something from e3D. I am interested in the chimera but the information provided here makes a change easily acceptable.

Gotta read some more but did you come up with an Arduino file for this new machine?
Most appreciated,
Robert

An Arduino file for what machine? I have one for the HD2x with E3D hotend, if that is what you're asking for.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Airwolf HD2x w/ E3D v6 + Volcano
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577

Indeed, it is.
And it would be wildly appreciated.
I have yet to start on the process but this thread has given me impetus to begin. Asking for money in a school system is always a fun task...
Thanks.
Robert

rwilson wrote:

Indeed, it is.
And it would be wildly appreciated.
I have yet to start on the process but this thread has given me impetus to begin. Asking for money in a school system is always a fun task...
Thanks.
Robert

Robert,

Firmware for HD2x with modified E3D hotend is attached. Please be sure to connect everything to the RAMBo board verbatim if you plan to use this firmware.

For your reference, I have heard from several individuals who have successfully completed this upgrade.

Be aware that the hotend mount I have designed will only work with an E3D Volcano hotend. The volcano is 10mm longer (from the mount point to the tip) than the standard hotend. Another user has done a great job of modifying my design to fit a standard E3D mount, found here: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1698101 - It is the same design but with the mount 10mm closer to the build platform.

If you haven't found it already, here are step-by-step instructions for completing this upgrade, located on E3D's website: http://wiki.e3d-online.com/wiki/E3D-v6_ … HDx_/_HD2x

Let us know if you have any questions; good luck!

Post's attachments

HD2x_TR_1_10MM_Z_ROD ## MODIFIED.zip 267.52 kb, 7 downloads since 2017-03-01 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Airwolf HD2x w/ E3D v6 + Volcano
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577