Re: Upgrading hotend: Airwolf HD2x to E3D V6 + Volcano

I believe I have the mounting problem solved; I'm just waiting on a couple more parts to come in so I can finish everything up.

In the meantime, I am going to work on the firmware. Do you have any suggestions on which firmware I should use and what (if any) changes I should make?

I need to do something, because airwolf's firmware cuts the fan off at 260 and I don't want that with my new hotend. Also my nozzles will be 10mm farther apart than the originals, but I'm unsure if I'll need to fix that in firmware or the slicer.

Thanks

-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Airwolf HD2x w/ E3D v6 + Volcano
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577

josh.aeauto wrote:

airwolf's firmware cuts the fan off at 260

Haha, that's one way to stretch a single 25w heater!

Does Airwolf not provide their firmware? Presumably it is built on Marlin or Repetier, which means by the GPL they have to provide the source.

They do provide the firmware but I don't know if it's based on Marlin or Repetier. How do I edit it?

-Prusa i3 MK2s
-Custom built Solidoodle 3 clone w/ E3D v6+ Volcano    -Solidoodle Press w/ E3D Lite6
Filastruder #1577

Do you have a link?

They only provide the firmware in HEX format.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/48itfsw2taex … 201.0?dl=0

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Then that's not providing the firmware (you can't edit a HEX), and thus they're violating the GPL. I'm surprised no one has called them out on this yet. You could try contacting them for the source, perhaps its an oversight? roll

I'm not at my machine, but I'm pretty sure you can enter the correct nozzle offsets in Slic3r under Printer Settings, there should be individual settings for extruder 1 and 2...make sure extruder 1 is set to 0 and then enter the proper nozzle offset on extruder 2; it will reference from extruder 1.

Marlin firmware tends to be the standard...did they supply you with a sketch (i.e Marlin.pde) file to make your alterations? You'll need to change the thermistor type; the maxtemp setting should not be an issue.

As far as the fan, I'm assuming you're talking about the hot end heat sink fan...sounds like they cut the fan off at 260 to compensate for the underpowered 25W heater...

A workaround is to just wire it to a steady-on 12V supply, maybe at the board input from the PSU, as you pretty much want that on all the time with the 2 Volcanos. Mine is set up that way for my standard E3D.

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

He needs to do more than just the fan, he needs to set up the thermistor table for either the thermistors or thermocouples he has.

elmoret wrote:

Then that's not providing the firmware (you can't edit a HEX), and thus they're violating the GPL. I'm surprised no one has called them out on this yet. You could try contacting them for the source, perhaps its an oversight? roll

I will send them an email, but I'm just wondering if they will void my warranty if they find out I am making changes to their machine?

If they're not willing to provide it, how hard will it be to start over with marlin/repetier?

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

elmoret wrote:

He needs to do more than just the fan, he needs to set up the thermistor table for either the thermistors or thermocouples he has.

Sorry, I thought I kind of said that in the second paragraph...doesn't he have to use the E3D thermistor?

Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuson– … rranty_Act

They can't void the warranty to portions of the machine that are not modified by you. For example if the bed heater fails, they still need to replace it. The bigger issue here is that they appear to be illegally using code, an abuse of open source.

It'd probably take me an hour or two to get marlin/repetier set up properly, maybe twice that for someone that hasn't done it.

elmoret wrote:

It'd probably take me an hour or two to get marlin/repetier set up properly, maybe twice that for someone that hasn't done it.

+1...
And as far as I know, there is no easy way to extract current settings into a .pde either from a hex file or the board itself...

Gotcha. I sent them an email politely asking for the firmware source code. I'll see what they say.

Is it possible that they have their own firmware that's not a flavor of Marlin/Rep?

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

This link indicates that they included the proper files on the flash drive they sent you with the machine:

http://airwolf3d.com/wiki/how/

If that's the case, you're golden...if they did not include it, they should have, judging by the Wiki...

40 (edited by josh.aeauto 2015-07-23 17:12:04)

Thanks - I didn't think to check the flash disk. This is what I have.

What exactly do I need to change?

Post's attachments

HD2x.zip 1.04 mb, 11 downloads since 2015-07-23 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

These are definitely the files...

I took a quick look...The only thing I could find referencing the fan control indicates that the fans are set to turn on at 100C...not cut out.

See below:
http://soliforum.com/i/?4LoHIjZ.png

And as far as thermal settings, they call out thermistor type 72, but that item is not in the listing.  There must be a lookup table somewhere else that I'm not familiar with.

What temps will you be extruding at?

After I started having problems with the hotend not reaching 300 degrees, they updated their firmware to turn the fan off - the one on my flash drive is old.

I'll be extruding around 300C.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Kinda crappy to only include it on the flash drive, it should be posted online, same as the authors of Marlin/Repetier... for exactly the reason you mentioned about updates... and for transparence about the GPL.

Anyway:

Table 72 is defined in thermistortables.h:

#if (THERMISTORHEATER_0 == 72) || (THERMISTORHEATER_1 == 72) || (THERMISTORHEATER_2 == 72) || (THERMISTORBED == 72) // 100k Honeywell 135-104LAG-J01
const short temptable_72[][2] PROGMEM = {
   {1*OVERSAMPLENR, 941},
   {19*OVERSAMPLENR, 362},
   {57*OVERSAMPLENR, 300},
   {73*OVERSAMPLENR, 280},
   {95*OVERSAMPLENR, 260},
   {125*OVERSAMPLENR, 240},
   {167*OVERSAMPLENR, 220},
   {223*OVERSAMPLENR, 200},
   {298*OVERSAMPLENR, 180},
   {395*OVERSAMPLENR, 160},
   {451*OVERSAMPLENR, 150},
   {511*OVERSAMPLENR, 140},
   {574*OVERSAMPLENR, 130},
   {638*OVERSAMPLENR, 120},
   {701*OVERSAMPLENR, 110},
   {760*OVERSAMPLENR, 100},
   {814*OVERSAMPLENR, 90},
   {862*OVERSAMPLENR, 80},
   {902*OVERSAMPLENR, 70},
   {935*OVERSAMPLENR, 60},
   {960*OVERSAMPLENR, 50},
   {980*OVERSAMPLENR, 40},
   {994*OVERSAMPLENR, 30},
   {1000*OVERSAMPLENR, 25},
   {1004*OVERSAMPLENR, 20},
   {1011*OVERSAMPLENR, 10},
   {1015*OVERSAMPLENR, 0}  //to allow internal 0 degrees C
};
#endif

It is selected in configuration.h

#define TEMP_SENSOR_0 72 
#define TEMP_SENSOR_1 72
#define TEMP_SENSOR_2 0
#define TEMP_SENSOR_BED 7

If you're using the thermocouple boards I sent you, change those to '-1' without the quotes.

As for the fans, I'd just wire them directly to 12v.

44 (edited by IronMan 2015-07-23 18:22:17)

+1
Yup...and you should be good to go...you should still ask them for the most recent source files, though.

EDIT:  Just saw above that you emailed them...I'd be interested to see how responsive they are...

45 (edited by josh.aeauto 2015-07-23 18:28:40)

Thanks guys!

EDIT: Took out my comment about "-1" not being in thermistortables.h

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

IronMan wrote:

EDIT:  Just saw above that you emailed them...I'd be interested to see how responsive they are...

This was their reply:

Airwolf wrote:

Hi Josh,

I can certainly provide the firmware file for you. I understand you have an HD2X, can you send me your printer serial number for our records?

Also, can you send me the following information so that I can choose the correct firmware file?

1. The diameter of your threaded Z rod (this is the rod that turns and brings the print bed up and down). It should measure either 10mm or 12mm.

2. The version of your Viki LCD. The Viki LCD is the control panel on the front of the printer. There are two types. Viki version 1.0 has the SD card slot on the right side, and does not have an LED illuminated circular control pad. Viki version 2.0 has the SD card slot on the left side, and has an LED circular illuminated ring around the circular control pad. Do you have a Viki version 1 or a Viki version 2?

Once I have this information from you, I will be able to send you the correct firmware file.

-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

"file" is not too promising. Better not be the hex again!

48 (edited by josh.aeauto 2015-07-23 18:39:44)

I get this problem when I attempt to compile:

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

HD2x_TR_1_10MM_Z_ROD.ino:42:28: fatal error: LiquidTWI2.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Error compiling.
-Prusa i3 MK2s
Filastruder #1577

Yes...ask them for the Marlin source files just as they were on the memory stick they shipped!

josh.aeauto wrote:

I get this problem when I attempt to compile:

Arduino: 1.6.5 (Windows 8.1), Board: "Arduino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

HD2x_TR_1_10MM_Z_ROD.ino:42:28: fatal error: LiquidTWI2.h: No such file or directory
compilation terminated.
Error compiling.

This means it is looking for a header file that Airwolf did not include properly (LiquidTWI2.h).

Try grabbing the .h and .cpp files from here:

https://github.com/lincomatic/LiquidTWI2

and putting them in the same folder as the 10MM_Z_ROD firmware.