Topic: 5-10 layer printing/Suncatchers??

I was thinking it might be interesting if I could compress all Z layers of an object into a very flat space so light can come through it like a sun catcher. Maybe for photo lithoplanes this could work but basically only five to ten layers thick. My question is how do I determine the number of layers of a sliced object so that I may scale it down along the z axis, and also how do I eliminate all infill so it treats all layers like the solid top and bottom?

Re: 5-10 layer printing/Suncatchers??

what are you using for a slicer?

in Slic3r, after slicing, it will tell you how many layers are in an object to be printed... you could then scale the Z accordingly,

as for infill, either increase the top/bottom solid layers or set infill to 100% rectilinear...

myself, if I was going to do something like this, I would model it with thin layers (1mm or less - multiples of actual layer height I will be using, depending on what I want) and slightly thicker borders (2-3mms) ... but that is me...

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

heartless wrote:

what are you using for a slicer?

in Slic3r, after slicing, it will tell you how many layers are in an object to be printed... you could then scale the Z accordingly,

as for infill, either increase the top/bottom solid layers or set infill to 100% rectilinear...

myself, if I was going to do something like this, I would model it with thin layers (1mm or less - multiples of actual layer height I will be using, depending on what I want) and slightly thicker borders (2-3mms) ... but that is me...

Yep I'd be using sli3er. I already have a poster in mind to make into a suncatcher. lol.

I was thinking of printing this.
ww.instructables.com/id/Litho-Lamp/

Ultimaker S3.

dubbsd wrote:

I was thinking of printing this.
ww.instructables.com/id/Litho-Lamp/

Looks cool. For that I anyway would pay to get it laser etched in crystal. I've had an .stl laser etched and it looked great. Photos look better.