Re: Solidoodle 2, Y-axis slipping/skipping

Yep, there's a little ridge on them that just snaps in.  You can easily pop them out with a hammer.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

wardjr wrote:

Yep, there's a little ridge on them that just snaps in.  You can easily pop them out with a hammer.

+1 very satisfying process. smile

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

I have solidoodle 4. And just recently run in same problem - print was constantly stucking on Y-axis. And it was happening from time to time. Sometimes every layer, sometimes every 4th or 10-th.

I did perfect circle realignment, it fixed problem for one or two prints, and again.
Than I noticed what was problem spot.
This part in photo - probably it's bushing, don't know how it's called. http://soliforum.com/i/?1YlkE7c.jpg
Someone already said bushing might be the problems - but after some test I just found which one was causing all the trouble.

It was stucking from time to time. So I unscrewed it, cleaned it and reaplied grease.
So far prints just fine. Still can't get perfect circlel(for now works for me how it is), at least prints without any stucking on Y-axis.

You might also check those front (oposite to those shown in video) parts, if you haven't already and if construction of solidoodle 2 is similar.

I'm not familiar with the solidoodle 4 design, but if that is what the Y-axis belt connects to, it is different than the solidoodle 2.  In the solidoodle 2, there is a rod that runs the length of the back of the machine.   There are bushings set into the frame itself.  That's what I'm going to replace with bearings.  However, if yours is getting stuck, it could create similar problems to what I'm seeing I imagine.

On the opposite side Y-axis also connects to the rod with bushings in solidoodle 4.
Might be similar on that side.

56 (edited by SpaceCowboy850 2015-10-10 15:42:02)

http://soliforum.com/i/?IHrCQ6o.jpg

Okay - so the bearings came in.  First question, how do I get the bushings out?  A few posts up it was said you can knock them out with a hammer.  Do I need to remove those black pieces as well, or is that part of the bushing?  Hammer from the outside?

Also, my bearings came in, and the original rod won't go through them.  I might be able to tap it in.  Obviously the idea is to use the new rod, but I measured the bearing interior with calipers and found them to be 5.95mm wide.  I'm assuming that is why it is tight.  Should I be concerned? [edit:  just measured the bushings and they claim to be 5.7mm, so I'm guessing this is fine]

(Oh, and the old rod is bent.  Rolling it on my desk, I can see light oscillating underneath it.)

I found this post, and used my old rod to get some leverage on it with a hammer and was able to eventually knock them out.

http://www.soliforum.com/search/2015026015/

The post though, talks about sanding the holes to be a bit wider - how would I go about doing that?

Okay - in the interest of anyone else reading this thread - I took my swiss army knife, and used the metal file/saw and just went around the circle a few times.  I was only needing about .25mm, so that widened it just enough that I could turn the frame on it's side and tap the bearings in.

The rod should come in next week sometime, so then I can put it in and see if I can't print the external Y-Motor mount.

Push the bushings from the inside out, even the black part.  Then ensure your rod new or old fits into the bearings.  If they are too tight you may need to sand the rod down.  An easy way to do this is place the rod in a drill.  Then spin it while holding emery cloth or sandpaper on the rod.  Continue to check for fit with your bearings. 
As for the holes in the frame, if your bearings don't fit you can use the same emery cloth to sand out the hole slightly by rolling the cloth into a tube and sliding it in and out of the hole.  Again checking for fit as you go.  You'll want to put your flanged bearings in from the outside.

3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL

I'm concerned my old rod doesn't fit easily into the new bearings.  Obviously I have to wait for the new rod to come in, but it looks like the old rod is 0.04mm wider.  Will grease+hammer be good enough to tap the new 6mm rod in you think?

That's only a good idea if you would like to crack the bearings, ask me how I know.
Sand the rod if needed, emery cloth isn't exactly expensive and can be found in the plumbing section at any hardware store.

wardjr wrote:

That's only a good idea if you would like to crack the bearings, ask me how I know.
Sand the rod if needed, emery cloth isn't exactly expensive and can be found in the plumbing section at any hardware store.

use the emery cloth method to make it fit - had to do this with mine when I upgraded to bearings.

I actually put my rod in our drill press and it worked great. it doesn't take long to get it to the right size either - do a little, check fit, do a little more, check fit - takes less than you think it will.

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1

Okay - I'll definitely do the emery cloth+drill method to sand the rod as needed.  Sorry I missed that suggestion in your first post, WardJr - read too fast and thought you were talking about the hole in the frame.

Really hoping this gives me enough to get my printer printing that Y-motor mount. <crosses fingers>

So all parts have arrived, and I was finally able to find the time to get the Y-Mount printed.  Yay!  It turns out the right belt was not quiet tight enough and that was causing at least some of the binding. 

So I can print (so far), and I've got the new rod and bearings in, taking out the old rod and bushings.  When I printed the Y-Mount, the one here:
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:593006

I take it I will need to order 4 more screws to screw the motor onto the mount?  Do I need to screw the top of the mount into the frame, or will the bottom four screws (that previously held the motor in place), be enough to keep the mount in place?

65 (edited by SpaceCowboy850 2015-11-08 17:11:22)

So I went and got a few M3 screws to try to attach the Y-Motor direct drive, but I've run into problems.

The Y motor silver casing apparently is just pushed on without the frame screws that hold it in place.  If I screw the original m3-33mm length screws that held it on the printer, they don't go all the way through.  Looks like I'll need some 43mm length m3 screws, which I don't think I saw at home depot.

When the back came off, some of the washers inside the motor popped out.  I noticed they were bent to shit.  This makes me wonder if I need new washers in there as well (or possibly a new Y-motor?).  sad

Edit:  Well, looking closer at one of the washers, it is like a sin wave, so maybe this is by design... :\

Okay, so I went ahead and tried to mount it, but when I run it, it wobbles a bit as it's going back and forth.  Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW2rf-G … e=youtu.be

So
1)  I can just pop off the back of the motor.  That doesn't sound right
2) It wobbles

Is this normal, and if not, what adjustments should I make?

67 (edited by jagowilson 2015-11-08 18:39:10)

if the motor is wobbling the two shafts are out of center. line them up so it spins true 

you should put 2 of the original Y motor screws diagonal from each other to hold the back together. 2 of the original Y motor screws diagonal from each other in opposite holes to mount the motor itself.

68 (edited by SpaceCowboy850 2015-11-08 19:41:19)

I guess that's why the original link used an oldham coupling - it didn't matter if the two shafts were aligned.  Hmm...I'm not sure how to align the shafts.  Maybe I should just buy the oldham coupling here:

http://us.misumi-ec.com/vona2/detail/11 … s2products

the coupler won't help you line up the motor. who's direct drive design are you using? the design has to allow alignment.

From looking at the oldham style clamp/coupler, I thought that was exactly how it was designed so that misalignment still transferred power.

Here is the link I was following:

http://tomhorsley.com/hardware/solidood … irect.html

71 (edited by jagowilson 2015-11-08 22:13:20)

well, yes, but the motor will still wobble like that if the alignment is poor.

anyway, his design allows you to align the motor in the Y and Z direction. even without an oldham style coupler I imagine you can get close. long term you will want an oldham coupler though yes, but it should not substitute for extreme misalignment.

Z alignment is handled by the teardrop holes in the frame. Y alignment is handled by moving the motor left and right and re-tightening the screws.

Well, I just completed a four hour print and everything looks good.  It took forever as UPS lost the first one they sent me so I had to wait for them to confirm they had lost it and not misplaced it.  The plumb coupling might have worked, but I feel better with the oldham coupling on instead.  It reduced the motor wobble significantly.  Thanks for the help guys.

73 (edited by maaltan 2017-07-12 03:43:09)

Sorry for Necro, but this describes my precise problem except with a new twist.  It seems to happen only when the printer is "cold".   When i do a new print after sitting for a day or so  homing almost always binds and i get humming/grinding and Y doesn't move. 

When i disable the motor, i can move it back and forth without any problems.  after jogging it back and forth using manual controls a few times, it seems to work.  (mostly? I was getting some x/y skew in one print i was assuming was because of overextrusion snags.. maybe it was this)    I was hoping the motor was dying ..or maybe the driver.  Something i could drop in and forget about for a little while.

All my brackets seem fine.  the belts have same tension they always have.

I finally got confident enough with my calibration etc to attempt a real project (3dpburner) and this shows up ..sigh.  Anything you guys can suggest before i buckle down and rebuild my Y-axis?

I assume 3 in 1 oil will work to lube the bushings (forward and back).  I don't think i saw anyone mention what i should lube with in the thread.  Sorry if i missed it.  Also i assume i would need to remove one of the X rods and the y carriage to do anything about the linear bearings?

Edit:. I now hate solidoodle.  I went and disassembled my y axis and re greased everything.  Still have y shifts.  Went to take out the front pullys to see if there was hidden damage and noticed they were attached with red threadlocker.  Unfortunately this was after I stripped the head.  Looks like I have to destroy the brackets.to get it off.  Why use threadlocker on such a delicate part... I know from experience that threadlocker turns abs into dust.  I can't even print rep!acement brackets. 

So.. now my choice seems to be give up and buy another printer or buy some more brackets from someone and break out the blowtorch with no guarantee it will fix anything. 

So much for my laser engraver project...

maaltan wrote:

Edit:. I now hate solidoodle.  I went and disassembled my y axis and re greased everything.  Still have y shifts.  Went to take out the front pullys to see if there was hidden damage and noticed they were attached with red threadlocker.  Unfortunately this was after I stripped the head.  Looks like I have to destroy the brackets.to get it off.  Why use threadlocker on such a delicate part... I know from experience that threadlocker turns abs into dust.  I can't even print rep!acement brackets. 

So.. now my choice seems to be give up and buy another printer or buy some more brackets from someone and break out the blowtorch with no guarantee it will fix anything. 

So much for my laser engraver project...

I feel for you. It had been so long from my original post that I stopped tracking this thread. I would have warned you about A) stripping that head, and B) not being able to do anything after.  I ended up dremeling mine completely off and literally cut a piece of wood as a temporary bracket substitute, using off the shelf nut/bolt to hold it together.

Long story short, I never did figure out what was causing that weird pop/grind/hum noise that was affecting the Y axis. I would be watching prints and hear the pop that would shift the Y axis, but nothing was visibly wrong. Keep in mind, this was after at least a dozen complete disassemble/testing/reassembles, replacing all bearings and pulley bands with factory OEM parts (which took months to get from the practically nonexistent Solidoodle customer service), regreasing with lithium grease, and calibrating for hours on end. It got to the point that I feel that I could have built a 3D printer from scratch faster than trouble shoot this one.

I gave up on it. Shame too, as when it was working, it was producing quality parts for a good 2 years. Ended up splurging on a delta printer. Haven't looked back since.

just out of curiosity - did either of you bother to check into voltage levels of the Y axis stepper drivers?

I have 2 SD4s - same basic machine, just larger and both had voltage issues in stock form

SD4 #1 & #2 - Lawsy carriages, E3D v6, Rumba controller board, mirror bed plate, X motor fan, upgraded PSU & Mica bed heater
SD4 #3 - in the works ~ Folgertech FT-5, rev 1
Printit Industries Beta Tester - Horizon H1