Topic: FreeLSS 1.7 Auto-Calibration problems

I've just updated my setup to v1.7, and for the past hour, I've been trying to use the auto-calibration without any luck.

First of all, just prior to updating, I ran a fresh calibration using the original Atlas calibration tool, and my home made checkerboard pattern.  Then I updated to v.1.7, and went back to the camera to run the new calibration.

The first thing I noticed, is that the cross-hairs were now way off to the left, when just prior to the calibration were perfectly centered on the turntable.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8805

I took a test shot, and that showed the blue line lined up with the lasers.  I thought that was weird, so I did it again, with the same results.  the test shot appears lined up with the blue line, even though the camera doesn't see it like that.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8806
So I re-centered the camera, and did a test.  Even though the camera is centered, the test is now way off.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8808

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8807

Last but not least, when I click on "Calibrate", I get "Could not positively detect which pixels corresponded to the XY plane"

I tried different lighting, different laser threshold, I tried the Atlas Calibration tool, and I tried my own checker-board pattern tool, every time I try to calibrate I get this error.

Post's attachments

5-3.png
5-3.png 157.11 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

5.png
5.png 64.95 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

New Calibration_001.jpg
New Calibration_001.jpg 135.04 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

New Calibration_002.jpg 146.35 kb, 2 downloads since 2015-06-12 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

Re: FreeLSS 1.7 Auto-Calibration problems

Update:

I put back the camera to the way it was before the update.  In other words it looks way off to the left (like in the first picture above).  However, when I do a test, now, the lasers line up with the blue line in the test image.

After I re-aligned it, I did an auto-calibration, and the calibration was successful this time.

The image below is a quick & dirty test, done at 5Mp, but with only 800 steps.  Throughout the scanning process I kept doing previews and watched for misalignments, and while there were a few missing areas (probably due to the lower number of steps and me fooling around with the preview refresh, the resulting scan is very good, and almost completely free of misaligned sections.

To be sure, this is a very well implemented software fix.

So the only problem I see with this update is the camera view cross-hairs being out of whack.

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8809

Post's attachments

New Calibration_003.jpg 188.76 kb, 1 downloads since 2015-06-12 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

The crosshair issue is indeed odd and did not occur during my testing.  Does it appear that way in different browsers as well?

My main PC is current offline, but I've use my Mac and on that, both Firefox, and Safari show the same problem.  I also looked at it using a Windows Tablet with Internet Explorer 12, and the problem is there too, so I would say that the answer to your question is yes, the problem is there with different browsers.

Same issue for me with 1.7.
http://soliforum.com/i/?SOtRuQ8.jpg

Freelss 1.7
Raspberry Pi 2
Piclop personnal design (check Website)
Direct RJ45 connection

Just scan few object with this version with crossair issue.

Even if there is this problem, this calibrate helper version is a major step forward for Freelss I think.
The refresh button is realy usefull.
As I says previously, the last thing I would like to see is Laser threshold cursor under the test button and this is Christmas !

Thank you Hairu.

Freelss 1.7
Raspberry Pi 2
Piclop personnal design (check Website)
Direct RJ45 connection

7 (edited by pirvan 2015-06-12 23:25:50)

Indeed, if we ignore the current crosshair offset, which I'm sure Uriah will figure out in short order, the auto-calibration function really works well, so we're in pretty good shape.

Nice job Uriah ! smile

Calibration must be the most fun for scanners :-). M&F just released new software with yet another new calibration routine. This one asks you to move the calibration target half way through the process, then it spends 5 or 10 minutes crunching numbers once it has finished the physical scanning. It does seem to do a pretty good job though.

9 (edited by pirvan 2015-06-12 20:06:52)

@Claghorn this calibration basically flashes both lasers, thinks about it for 4-5 seconds and it's done.

I think you might want to take a closer look at the Atlas scanner if you want to speed things up a bit. smile

pirvan wrote:

My main PC is current offline, but I've use my Mac and on that, both Firefox, and Safari show the same problem.  I also looked at it using a Windows Tablet with Internet Explorer 12, and the problem is there too, so I would say that the answer to your question is yes, the problem is there with different browsers.

It doesn't occur with my Chrome on Ubuntu but it does indeed occur with Firefox.    It looks like the text below the calibration button causes issues with the alignment of the crosshair on the image.  I will submit a fix for this shortly.