Topic: Solidoodle 2 - Screeching sound when getting started for print

Hey all,

Since a couple of weeks I have a very annoying problem with my Solidoodle 2.
It hasn't been modified or anything, everything is as original as it gets.

The problem is when the print is started, the print seems to go to a park position that's incorrect.
It makes a very loud screeching noise for a couple of seconds, and after that the print starts and finishes without any problems.
After the print is finished however, it makes the same annoying sound again and after that it goes to the park position.

The hardware seems to be fine. The switch that should tell the Solidoodle it has reached it's max does work, also the motors don't make any weird sounds.

I've made a small video so you can see what it sounds/looks like:

What i've tried:
- Repetier Host version 0.85.117 and the latest 1.0.6.
- Set park position to X:140 Y:140 Z-min:50 mm
- Printer type: L_CARTISAN_PRINTER and L_CARTISAN_PRINTER_DUMP
- Print area: Width: 140 Depth: 140 Hieght: 140 mm

If anyone has an idea what it could be, please feel free to comment smile

Re: Solidoodle 2 - Screeching sound when getting started for print

It sounds very much like the x carriage is driving into the y carriage. This is probably a result of it trying to drive to X=0 for some reason, especially if it's trying to do a movement before homing. Note there's no home/limit switch for x moving left; only right.

* Given you've changed R-H, please check your repetier-host start g-code (preview tab --> g-code editor tab --> select "start code" from the dropdown), and make sure there's nothing in there you don't want.

* Make sure your slic3r start g-code is what you want.

You could copy and post both here if you're not sure (we might be able to identify whether there's a problem with it).

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

3 (edited by Qubus 2015-05-29 10:36:37)

Hey grob,

Thanks for the reply!

I haven't delved myself into G-code yet, so I don't know much about it.
As far as I know the G-code tells the printer were to go, right?

The G-code is as follows:

G21; set mm units
G90; set absolute coordinates
G28 X0 Y0; home x and y axes
G1 X75 Y75 F4000; move extruder above bed
G28 Z0; home Z axis
G92 E0; reset extrusion distance

As you say the the X-axis is 0 and also the Y axis is 0.
Should I edit this to 1? or 10? Or something else?

EDIT:

I've editted the Gcode and found out that the home x axis is the faulty one.
In Repetier Host I went to the Manual Control to put in some gcode to test it out.
When i enter the code:

G28 X0

it's the same sound.
When I put in another number like 25, 50 or 75 it doesn't change the awefull sound.
For some reason the X carriage is mirrored in Repetier, when I click on -X to go to the left, the extruder goes to the right.
So i've tested it out to enter the gcode with a - in front of the numbers but it doesn't change anything. ( then you would het G28 X-25).

If the X axis is simply reversed you can simply flip the plug over and it will go the other way.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

Thanks for the reply wardjr!

I've replaced the X-axis motor with a non-original one.
I couldn't reverse the plug because it wouldn't fit.

I searched the internet and found a shop nearby my house so I bought a new stepper-motor that is original from Solidoodle.

Now the problem is solved!
The video I posted u here shows that the extruder is going all the way to the left.
Now it's going to the right with no grinding noises.

Thanks grob nd wardjr for the help!
Much appreciated!

Ah, that bit about replacing the motor was key. wink

For the future, to flip the keyed connector, you can:
* Pop the pins out of the connectors with a tiny screwdriver (push one cable into the housing to release pressure from the tab, push down on the silver tab from the side of the connector, and then pull the connector out by the cable).
* Put them back in the reverse order in the connector (just push them in until they click, make sure the tap faces the right way!

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?action=pun_attachment&item=8762&download=0
Thanks wardjr as always!

Post's attachments

molex254.png
molex254.png 173.96 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

wink

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions