Re: DaVinci Junior cartridge reset

gadjet wrote:

Just for info I have firmware 2.2.4 and I had a white spool down to 10m so I tried to reset, I only changed pages 14, 15, 16 and 17 as they weren't as shown in the instructables article, 0A and 0B were already 400D0300 and I left the colour as it was white but no joy I just get unrecognised spool.

2.2.4?! On 2.2.4 I was all good...

I would suggest to change all those variables as per Instructable, once again, try different colour and up up by 1 page 9 was it?! Next after colour code page?! (man you forget things quickly when you not doing it anymore)

I know they are all the time collecting data if you are using their Mac/PC software but doubt they are able to push any changes or so.
Just out of curiosity, what is your Mac/PC XYZWare version, latest?! Mine was when I've upgraded to 2.2.6 and killed all "hacked" NFC chip support.

Question for those using pre 2.2.6 firmware, are you using your printer with Mac/PC software or SD card only?!
Also what software version... (as far as I know Windows version called Open/Advanced has heavily modified version which removes all that XYZ feedback...)

Doubt it's a software though, but still we are nowhere with 2.2.6 so wouldn't harm to look from the different point of view...

kr15_uk wrote:
gadjet wrote:

Just for info I have firmware 2.2.4 and I had a white spool down to 10m so I tried to reset, I only changed pages 14, 15, 16 and 17 as they weren't as shown in the instructables article, 0A and 0B were already 400D0300 and I left the colour as it was white but no joy I just get unrecognised spool.

2.2.4?! On 2.2.4 I was all good...

I would suggest to change all those variables as per Instructable, once again, try different colour and up up by 1 page 9 was it?! Next after colour code page?! (man you forget things quickly when you not doing it anymore)

I know they are all the time collecting data if you are using their Mac/PC software but doubt they are able to push any changes or so.
Just out of curiosity, what is your Mac/PC XYZWare version, latest?! Mine was when I've upgraded to 2.2.6 and killed all "hacked" NFC chip support.

Question for those using pre 2.2.6 firmware, are you using your printer with Mac/PC software or SD card only?!
Also what software version... (as far as I know Windows version called Open/Advanced has heavily modified version which removes all that XYZ feedback...)

Doubt it's a software though, but still we are nowhere with 2.2.6 so wouldn't harm to look from the different point of view...

Thanks, changed the colour to 5A and now shows 200m on reel, what about the temp. anyone any idea if it will be an issue?

There are 2x temperatures available depending from the colour.
Instructable had different colour options listed so you need to chose the one for your filament.

But if you add 1 byte to page 9 you'll be able to use the same colour code.

Ok I'll try that but when you say add 1 byte to 09 do you mean add 1 to the last byte so 0035414B would become 0035414C ?

Anyone have V2.2.4 firmware .bin somewhere?! - Trying to figure out how to downgrade back to V2.2.4
Or fingerprint string for V2.2.0?!

Is there a way to pull firmware from a unit? I have a brand new in box jr from around xmas time. I have yet to open it (we moved and have yet to get 'my area' setup yet). It will hae whatever firmware shipped with units around 11/2015.
Neil

@neilyboy I do not now unfortunately... I would love to know how as well - if you know how to pull it out then you could figure out how to stick it back on... Anyone?!

883 (edited by Bozotclown1970 2016-05-12 15:04:41)

Guys, if you look through the previous messages you will find a bin file someone has already posted.

It's 2.2.0
I need 2.2.4

Ah ok, what's the difference?

Btw, have you pulled it from your printer or did network request filter / verbose app launch to figure out from where it's pulling it?
If pulled from the printer then would you mind giving me a hint on how?! Jtag, tftp etc...

Sorry, I do my printing in a virtual machine and have not updated firmware since I got it. I keep the network turned off on my VM so updates do not happen.. If I had any information I would gladly share it with you.

2.2.4 was the latest which was working with hacked filaments.
I had no luck downgrading to 2.2.0 hence its too big jump down, rolling 1x step back should be much easer, in theory.

Sorry to hear about the bad luck. If you are interested in the source code for the printing software. It is also posted in a previous post. You may have some luck searching through that for a URL or something. It appears to be vb .net and is readable.

No worries mate, just digging through to find a way how to downgrade for the benefit of myself in the 1st place wink and the community.

Have not gotten a chance to test been too busy so I just wanted to throw it out here if anyone wanted to try.  We have a user that has successfully rolled back the firmware.  Special thanks to the user for trying something new:

OK, this is out of like 50 other things I tried so i'm not 100% certain on a step-by-step but...
I had XYZ Advanced, that software with all the weird debugging options.
I had a copy of 2.2.0 Firmware which I got from some 3d printing forum from someone who had all the SHA for them or something.

I open XYZ Advanced, I hit the questionmark which brings up software/firmware version. After it pulls up all the information I turned off the printer and turned it back on holding up and down arrow which puts it into "Bootloader" mode.
Hitting "check for firmware updates" or whatever that button is said its already up to date btu brings up a file selection screen (in XYZ advanced anyway) wherre I selected the firmware and it just took it.
I think because I check firmware then put it into bootloader mode it does something that makes it just take what you give it rather than the fw_upgrade_error/fail etc.
This is going to require significant testing to replicate and i'm not confident enough to take a swing at it for a while. Maybe in the future i'll attempt to replicate. So if you know someone with a 2.2.6 then throw it at them and see what happens or have them play with it with a variety of the steps about and maybe someone smarter than me will et a lightbulb moment and know what step I took would magically make it work.
I know XYZAdvanced and Bootloader mode are both key somehow.

Dear all. This is a complete newby in the 3d printing world. We have recently bought a daVinci Jr printert to teach STEM activities in our primary school,  I've carefully read this forum and I've contacted with greatone76 in order to unlock a couple of NFC cards. Everything is worked fine so we decided to jump over generic PLA. We have a bq red filament wich needs 220 centigrades, so I've written suitable data into the NFC card. Printer recognizes it, (200m, color green--->210º) but after 5 minutes, PLA stopped to came out of the nozzle. I´ve checked XYZ monitor and it says that temperature was 190º.
I've resetted NFC card values and put data for red colour (also 210º), but it happened again. Temperature was only 190º.
Could you show me the way?
Maybe could it happened because printer has the factory firmware (1.0.5 I think)?.
I know newest firmware brokes any possibility to reset NFC cards. Is there a manual way to update to another firmware?.
Thanks so much for your effort.
Kind regards.
Miguel Angel.

893 (edited by lakeout 2016-05-18 22:38:16)

as an aside I read through the sclicer code and found the codes for ABS TREE PLA AND PVA
if you change word eight on the nfc card (5a505a00) you can change the filament type
5a|50| is PLA
5a|41| is ABS
5a|46| is TREE
5a|46| is PVA
when changed to these values the xyz jr see's the filament as what you changed it to

lakeout wrote:

as an aside I read through the sclicer code and found the codes for ABS TREE PLA AND PVA
if you change word eight on the nfc card (5a505a00) you can change the filament type
5a|50| is PLA
5a|41| is ABS
5a|46| is TREE
5a|46| is PVA
when changed to these values the xyz jr see's the filament as what you changed it to

Good information thanks, when you change it to ABS does it increase the temperature?

895 (edited by lakeout 2016-05-19 17:26:24)

Extruder temp goes up from 190deg f to 210deg f. I am having issues with my heat bed hold a temp above 200deg f. i have a new 10amp power supply on order. printing a lego block now to check for warping.
OK so it printed fine with extruder at 210f and heat bed at 205f
looks link all is well. still going to change out the power supply though.

896 (edited by greatone76 2016-05-19 22:04:17)

I just successfully rolled back the firmware on my machine a hand full of times.

Below are the steps I used.

Using the xyzware with advanced mode that has the g-code editer. Version 2.1.4.2

Below is the link to the firmware file I used:

xyzprod.blob.core.windows.net/firmware/f125f8ea-7542-42a1-bda2-1c97e964b4ec_3F1J0_FW_V2.2.0.bin

I relabeled that file abc.bin (not sure if the name matters, but I was wondering if the long name was getting rejected for an unreadable character or just length)

I killed the wifi/internet, so the software could not start looking of downloading the latest firmware.

(No sure if this is relevant, but I clicked on settings then the account tab and signed out of my account)

I put the printer into bootloader mode by holding the up and down arrow when turning on.

I then selected the ? mark.

I then pushed the firmware upgrade button.

It pops up a box and says .. oops not connected to the internet try again later.

I pushed "ok" and it loads the windows box to pick a file.

I select my abc.bin

And instead of the error after a few seconds like typical it would just go through and the printer would restart after 30 to 45 seconds with the new firmware.

Let me know if you have success and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

greatone76 wrote:

I just successfully rolled back the firmware on my machine a hand full of times.

Using the xyzware with advanced mode that has the g-code editer. Version 2.1.4.2

xyzprod.blob.core.windows.net/firmware/f125f8ea-7542-42a1-bda2-1c97e964b4ec_3F1J0_FW_V2.2.0.bin

I relabeled that file abc.bin (not sure if the name matters, but I was wondering if the long name was getting rejected for an unreadable character or just length)

I killed the wifi/internet, so the software could not start looking of downloading the latest firmware.

(No sure if this is relevant, but I clicked on settings then the account tab and signed out of my account)

I put the printer into bootloader mode by holding the up and down arrow when turning on.

It pops up a box and says .. oops not connected to the internet try again later.

I select my abc.bin

And instead of the error after a few seconds like typical it would just go through and the printer would restart after 30 to 45 seconds with the new firmware.

Sorry for the late response guys, went on holiday.

I can confirm that I'm back on 2.2.0 !!!
I did it using Mac version of XYZWare (latest)

The same Bootloader mode, by holding Alt/Options key clicked on ? icon and once again holding Alt/Option on firmware upgrade button which brings up Finder so I can locate .bin file.

Also to avoid any pop up messages and to stop sending them my usage info I've edited my host file pointing xyzprinting.com to localhost IP.

Thanks for the help, Bootloader mode was the key!!!

898 (edited by RetroFighter 2016-05-20 04:13:35)

greatone76 wrote:

I select my abc.bin

This worked AWESOME! Both of the cards that I got unlocks for from greatone76 work again. I bought a new printer because I thought this was a lost cause but now it's back and working great.

I followed the instructions to a tee and it worked. I did the same process two nights ago but didn't change the file name and kept getting an unable to upgrade message so the smaller name was the key I was missing.

Thank to the people who put the effort into getting this to work again!

Post's attachments

2.2.0.jpg
2.2.0.jpg 3.92 mb, 1 downloads since 2016-05-20 

2.2.6.jpg
2.2.6.jpg 3.67 mb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

downgrade from 2.2.4 to 2.2.0 works fine with the method posted by greatone76

ty kr15_uk & greatone76

also here is what should be the 2.2.4 firmware file if anyone wants to use that firmware version.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/232 … e2_2_4.bin

greatone76 wrote:

Glad you got this posted. Thanks again for the NFC tag code.
Maybe you could share that secret since I helped with the firmware! tongue