Topic: Com Port 3

Hello,

i was running my solidoodle workbench with no problem, suddenly after too many prints, restarting my computer
i can't find the com port 3 anymore (which is my printer connecting to) and what ever i did there is no comeback and
i can't connect to my printer anymore, when i checked ftdi drivers they seem to work with no problems, but the com port 3
is not present anymore in (Device manager )

Re: Com Port 3

Is there another com port (i.e. not COM3, but COM4 etc.)? Sometimes the port doesn't disconnect, or the usb driver updates, and it assigns a new port number. This was common in windows XP, but usually much better (for most serial-usb devices) in windows 7,8 etc.

If the port is completely gone, it could be a cable problem.

Have you tried updating firmware at all?

To start with, perhaps you can try:
* Plugging into a different usb port
* Changing the usb cable (seriously, this has been the problem for several other frustrated users!)
* Uninstalling and reinstalling the usb drivers from solidoodle

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

the only com port i can see is Com port 1
and i have changed the cables, nothing changed same result

i clicked on ( show hidden devices) on the device manager and it shows Teensy USB Serial (com3).
i really don't know what thios mean and why its hidden and non functional

Try Cura & see if it recognizes the printer. I have been having problems with Repetier printing 1/2 way and then stopping. It will recognize my printer okay, but usually the printer and software both need restarted I think my problem is the RAM on my computer. However, Cura works great with minimal changes! (go figure...). I just prefer having more control like Repetier offers...

In the meantime, I am still trying to figure out why Repetier keeps messing up. Let us know if you figure it out.

@walkie20 Thanks for sharing your thoughts about the problem. i tried cura but no difference.
my proplem is with the drivers & usb setup not with the software itself.
it seems whatever i do, windows can recognize the usb cable coming from printer to my pc.
and i already applied the solidoodle walkthrough step by step

Strange it's showing up in hidden devices.
If you think it's a driver issue, try clearing the driver out and starting again, I do the following:

(1) Make sure it's unplugged
(2) Follow through this: http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/504/how- … -services/ to open device manager and show all the unplugged/hidden devices
(3) Find any devices that match your printer (i.e. "Teensy USB Serial"), right click and "Uninstall". If you're unsure, don't uninstall!!
(4) Plug the printer in again, see what happens - it should run through the "found new hardware" thing and install the driver if it detects OK. The device should pop up in device manager.

If it's not detecting or making ping noises when you plug it in, disconnect, I'd suspect it's more likely a hardware / cable problem - have you tried a different usb cable yet?

SD3. Mk2b + glass, heated enclosure, GT2 belts, direct drive y shaft, linear bearings, bowden-feed E3D v5 w/ 0.9° stepper
Smoothieboard via Octoprint on RPi

i can't see any "Teensy USB Serial" even in hidden devices, also i changed the cable, nothing happened

can anybody please help, i can't do anything with the printer

To eliminate the printer as the problem try connecting to a different computer.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

navarisun wrote:

can anybody please help, i can't do anything with the printer

When you plug a mouse or other USB item into that exact port does the PC see it and show it was connected?

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

Yes any other usb works perfectly.

since it last worked have you connected any other device? especially anything that syncs like a PDA etc. they love stealing 3D printer com ports since they are not shown as being used unless printer is on and in use at time of connecting new device. thats why I asign highest port number like 12, 20 etc so new devices grab a lower open port. this caused me to have near 2 weeks down time fixing. and SD techs didnt help much either. there are other topics here detailing this from like a year ago.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

no i didn't connect any other devices to my pc.  the problem with me is i can't even see any com ports except (com1)
if there any other topics that talking about this could you forward the links please ??

navarisun wrote:

no i didn't connect any other devices to my pc.  the problem with me is i can't even see any com ports except (com1)
if there any other topics that talking about this could you forward the links please ??

If you cant see any comports when the printer is connected then that means the printer is not showing up as a comport. Is the printer working, and can you print from an SD card?

It sounds to me you have lost the USB portion of your printers controller. This will require replacing the controller. If however it powers up put does nothing then you may have just lost the firmware. it can get corrupted on rare occasions. If that is the case then you could just reflash it. But then that would still require a port such as an Adruino port to show up and you said there is nothing. So again we are back to the USB part of your controller being dead.

My Workbench has no sd card or reset button on it. i don't know about the usb port, but it was working 2 weeks ago and suddenly it's not seen by the PC anymore, i really don't know what to do, and solidoodle are too lazy to response. i have open a ticket one week ago without any response

17 (edited by n2ri 2015-03-01 05:43:32)

3D printers dont show up in device manager or printers in computers. becuase they are vertual serial printers running through background apps like Python etc. its not the same as trouble shooting a paper printer at all.

have to reboot computer/printer and see if either makes sound or does anything upon power up. then look in printer config where you select a port to connect through to see if a port apears. some times you can see a port found in device manager if it was removed and you power up printer and its found and asks to install drivers.

thats more info than SD techs will give. but you can call them and do a share puter trouble shooting with a tech if you wish. it didnt help me though. was there a storm of power surge during that time sinca last used that may have erased firm ware?

you will never see the printer name in device manager though.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

18 (edited by navarisun 2015-03-01 13:35:24)

when i power on the printer it doesn't give a sound on pc as it used to do. also i don't see anything related to printer on device manager (no com ports) (no usb serial) nothing. if i have done something wrong with the firmware, how could i get it back to work ??

19 (edited by n2ri 2015-03-01 22:44:51)

thats odd. 1st time I ever heard of this type issue.

so the printer dont make any tiny noise if you unplug usb cable and plug back in while powered? if not then try new known good cable. and search for loose connections on printer board or maybe something damaged wires or a power surge hit board.
maybe workbench electronics are lots different than older models but basics should be same. sounds like a hardware issue still. what are the ambient conditions of printer as for as location, room temps, dirty air, pets/kids access to printer etc. something is being overlooked/ignored that is a possible cause of this I would bet. saw homes with 50 cats that chewed wires off appliances before for example. for starters anything you wouldnt expect to see in an office building, dont belong near a 3D printer either. and always use proper sized surge protected power source for electronics unless you dont mind buying a replacement weekly.

i have all the good conditions that make the printer works perfectly, no body touchs it except me, tried 3 usb cables, no wires hit the board as the solidoodle workbench keeb it in well blocked box at the left corner of the printer. no pets or humans (except me smile ). i will try plug off all the cables mabe its static.

i think that the static have noting to do with my error, i plugged back all the cables, still nothing happened.
i see a green lights coming out of the boards in the solidoodle, this mean (i think ) that the boards are powered and working okay ??

n2ri wrote:

3D printers dont show up in device manager or printers in computers. becuase they are vertual serial printers running through background apps like Python etc. its not the same as trouble shooting a paper printer at all.

have to reboot computer/printer and see if either makes sound or does anything upon power up. then look in printer config where you select a port to connect through to see if a port apears. some times you can see a port found in device manager if it was removed and you power up printer and its found and asks to install drivers.

thats more info than SD techs will give. but you can call them and do a share puter trouble shooting with a tech if you wish. it didnt help me though. was there a storm of power surge during that time sinca last used that may have erased firm ware?

you will never see the printer name in device manager though.

3D printers ALL yes ALL of them that the home user would use, use the same exact FTDI USB to serial converter interface chip. On the PCB all data is transferred over an internal serial bus. That data then gets converted by the FTDI interface to USB where it is sent or received from the PC. If that chip which is only a very small part of the printers controller goes bad the printer will no longer show up as a COM port which is usually seen as an Adruino on COM X in the device manager or in the case of a Da Vince using the DUE instead of an ATMEGA chip it shows as a DUE On COM X. They do and all will show up in the device manager under the COM ports as their root device, not a printer.

In the case of the OP, the FTDI chip on his controller has been taken out either by static electricity through the cable when he was plugging it in to the board or the PC or another form of surge has taken it out. All other functions on the printer can still work since this FTDI chip is only used for USB functions.

If he can remove and solder surface mount devices then he could just replace that chip alone. Just get the number form it and order from Mouser or Digikey. If he can't remove and solder surface mount then his only option is to replace the entire controller. It's that simple.

If he has tried various cables, other device are recognized, the PC does not acknowledge the printer being plugged in or unplugged then there is only one thing left for it to be and that is a bad FTDI chip on his board. That only leaves replacing the chip or the board.

I am a tech by trade and deal with several customers products that use USB and this is a very common issue. Especially with lower quality Chinese products which these boards use.

23 (edited by navarisun 2015-03-02 02:49:24)

so is there any tutorial on how to change the boards also i have some questions if you please:

1. as per solidoolde all the printrboard are revision e, where can i find this ?
2. if i removed the ftdi and replacing it with another one, do i have to bootload the board again?
3. i'm totally new to this, how could i find this ship, what it looks like ??!!
4. if these boards are cheap (from china) as you mentioned, can i replace the board with something more powerful like
arduino, and if so what is the process for that ?

sorry for too much questions but i'm totally new for this

If you are considering replacing the board there are many to choose from.  Most are much better more capable and substantially more robust than the printerboard.
My personal favorites
Rumba
Azteegx3
Both of these are well documented and support multiple extruders should you ever decide to add them.
Ramps 1.4
These are just a few of the options.

Printit Industries Model 8.10 fully enclosed CoreXY, Chamber heat
3-SD3's & a Workbench all fully enclosed, RH-Slic3r Win7pro, E3D V6, Volcano & Cyclops Hot End
SSR/500W AC Heated Glass Bed, Linear bearings on SS rods. Direct Drive Y-axis, BulldogXL
Thanks to all for your contributions

25 (edited by jagowilson 2015-03-02 03:45:46)

Seconding the rumba. While not the cheapest option, with DRV8825 atepper drivers it is incredibly robust and will serve you well for years to come.

http://www.reprapdiscount.com/electroni … v8825.html

Made in China, but not cheap Chinese junk. Like anything else, it matters how much you spend. I've purchased 2 rumbas now and both have been flawless. All alternatives will be cheaper than a stock SD motherboard so definitely don't go that route.