1 (edited by jaak 2014-05-25 10:43:21)

Topic: Use CURA with Da Vinci Printer

hi everyone,
i wanted to try cura with my printer because raft layers and supports are easy to setup
and also super easy to peel of the parts
so i tried the same methode i use with slic3r
unfortunatley, i guess there is a Z axis problem
i really don't know why

my offset is ok
first layer looks nice
but no more layers, the hotend continues to print at layer 1
Z axis doesn't go up

anybody ever had succes with cura?
i linked the files if you want to try, or detect the mistake
thx

Post's attachments

boule_test_support.stl 44.91 kb, 44 downloads since 2014-05-25 

boule_test_supportcura.gcode 417.31 kb, 33 downloads since 2014-05-25 

IMAG5035.jpg 1.4 mb, 1 downloads since 2014-05-25 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Use CURA with Da Vinci Printer

from what I have seen no one has been able to use cura for prints yet. I tried once with the repetier firmware and it failed like there wasno gcode to send so it may have been a user error, but every report of trying through xyzware is the same as yours almost. Is your cura set to absolute or relative position?

Cura will not work with the stock XYZ firmware, because it can't handle simultaneous XZ, YZ or XYZ moves. It does work with the Repetier firmware, I used it many times with no problems. On a Mac the "Ping Pong communication" option in the Repetier Host must be turned on to avoid a nasty bug in the Host.

i only had succes one time but after several (10/15) layers z axis stopped working
so i suppose it's possible to do it, i just don't know where i'm mistaking
and i realy don't know much things about programming

I was able to print successfully using Cura.  I compared the gcode generated by xyzware against Cura for the same STL file and noticed Cura use G0 command in gcode whereas xyzware doesn't.  So I replaced all G0 with G1 and voila, it printed beautifully provided the usual xyzware header is included.  There is no need to offset any z value.  The only downside is I had to manually replace G0 with G1 line by line and that took a long time even for a small file.  It would be nice if someone can write a little program that will automatically replace all G0 with G1.

you could use an advanced editor like notepad++ and use a replace all.

tjtai wrote:

I was able to print successfully using Cura.  I compared the gcode generated by xyzware against Cura for the same STL file and noticed Cura use G0 command in gcode whereas xyzware doesn't.  So I replaced all G0 with G1 and voila, it printed beautifully provided the usual xyzware header is included.  There is no need to offset any z value.  The only downside is I had to manually replace G0 with G1 line by line and that took a long time even for a small file.  It would be nice if someone can write a little program that will automatically replace all G0 with G1.

WOW respect!
there must be a way to make it automatic, with a script

thanks for this detail that can change everything

G0 - Rapid Motion
G1 - Coordinated Motion

http://replicat.org/gcodes

Something I noticed with the cura gcode output today. the first move was a combined x y z move, so that meens it goes straight to the point specified. Considering that my z home position is bellow bed face that caused issues as I am sure you can imagine. so adding a nominal z move prior to this solved the issue.

And again as far as swapping g codes just use the note pad and do a replace all. It should be fine.

joshj wrote:

Something I noticed with the cura gcode output today. the first move was a combined x y z move, so that meens it goes straight to the point specified. Considering that my z home position is bellow bed face that caused issues as I am sure you can imagine. so adding a nominal z move prior to this solved the issue.

And again as far as swapping g codes just use the note pad and do a replace all. It should be fine.

i've seen that you've been running your printer with cura during 8 hours
could you send us the profile you used?
did you change gcode , Z offset or else?

thanks

ok think i've got it
didn't know about the new xyz software

What were your settings in the cura software? I was able to get slic3r to work with settings I found on a "scribd" writeup, prints looked great!
But I'm having trouble figuring out how to translate those settings to the cura. The prints come out looking horrible. All sorts of issues.
Thanks
Matt G

13 (edited by scobo 2015-01-16 16:59:01)

joshj wrote:

you could use an advanced editor like notepad++ and use a replace all.

jaak wrote:

WOW respect!
there must be a way to make it automatic, with a script

thanks for this detail that can change everything

The xyzware open mod version does the conversion for you automatically when you import the gcode.

Davinci 1.0 with repetier firmware & E3D V6 Lite
Anycubic Photon DLP printer, Einscan-S 3D scanner
Simplify3d, 123D Design, Meshmixer
http://www.thingiverse.com/scobo/designs

it's much more convenient like this,
sometimes i still have to use slicer because cura doesn't not provide honeycomb filling

bumping this old thread, how do i go about sending gcode straight to my da vinci mini w printer? do i need to use the xyz software to send it after i slice the object in cura? also, in linux you could run a terminal command to replace G0's with G1's...

Me thinks this is the read you need http://www.soliforum.com/topic/17028/pr … minimaker/

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura