Topic: New Wiki!

I thought it would be bennefitcial to get a wiki going that was totally public to begin with, so I present to you.. SoliWiki!

http://www.soliwiki.com/

Feel free to register and start adding whatever tidbits of knowledge you would like to share.

First thing is first.. we need a proper looking homepage smile

If you require more permissions to edit certain things, PM me and they will be given to you. I wasn't really a fan of the software the official solidoodle wiki is using, so I choose something more mainstream... mediawiki.

Thanks everyone for your support!

Brad

Re: New Wiki!

Well done.

Once again the community outperforms the paid professionals.

Since Solidoodle can't sort themselves out with adding me to their wiki I'll add some stuff to yours.

Very cool, definitely the better platform.

I've created the first page(!).

http://www.soliwiki.com/Frequently_Asked_Questions

I think this page should have brief answers to common questions and provide links to more detailed pages and resources where applicable.

Great job Brad, thanks for offering up a place for us to learn and share.

Some things that should be on the FAQ

Will I ever get my printer?

What if my printer arrives broken?

What to try if my printer is shifting during prints.  (A fan on the circuit board, etc.)

How do I take apart and clean the barrel and nozzle?

How do I replace kapton tape without bubbles?

lawsy wrote:

I've created the first page(!).

http://www.soliwiki.com/Frequently_Asked_Questions

I think this page should have brief answers to common questions and provide links to more detailed pages and resources where applicable.

Good idea, for questions that have a longer answer, the answer should go on its own page, but short and sweet answers can go right on the faq page.

I've added them.

Now it's time for people to start populating pages and content.

zimmer62 wrote:

Some things that should be on the FAQ

Will I ever get my printer?

What if my printer arrives broken?

What to try if my printer is shifting during prints.  (A fan on the circuit board, etc.)

How do I take apart and clean the barrel and nozzle?

How do I replace kapton tape without bubbles?

That looks more like a table of contents, or section headers than a FAQ.  Maybe rather than starting with the FAQ we should work on a list of sections for the main page.  Something like-

Getting Started - pages on parts of the printer, installing and using software, setting Z offset and leveling the bed, applying Katpon

Calibration

Troubleshooting- Skipping Z, Prints coming unstuck etc

Software - Pages for each slicer, with explanations of settings for each of them, setting up Repetier, Firmware, etc

Modifications - Panelolu, SDSL, Fan Hack, user created accessories, alternative print surfaces

Printing tips - common printing challenges and how to tweak settings to get the best results depending on the model
Materials - discussions of

Also a shipping page would be a good idea.   Post a table of the order dates, numbers, shipping dates, and lead times of everyone who has posted that info, and update it.  Also ask that everyone who has received a printer also include their serial numbers.  That would provide an ongoing metric of actual lead times and rate of production.   If lead times decrease, you should be start to see it on that table.

I agree 100%. The FAQ should only have paragraph answers at the longest and then link to more detailed, dedicated pages.

I figured we should start somewhere, so why not a FAQ because it covers everything.

I like to propose another section...  Pictures of bad prints, and why they might be bad, what can be done about them.

squishing
missing Steps
detachment from the bed.
dragging head through prints
bad slicing
z-axis wiggle
clogged nozzle
moist filament
Y axis skipping
X axis skipping
Z axis skipping
parts that break too easily
Unlevel bed

and any others where pictures can say a 1000 words.  A picture can really say so much, and identifying problems can be much easier with a picture of a less than perfect part.

We can always move content around later, its most important we get content going in the first place smile

I fixed image uploads, so images are working well now.

I envisioned that this would be a troubleshooting page, with all of the things you had listed.

The wiki software makes an automatic table of contents at the top, so users would be able to quickly navigate to their problem from there if we use the right headings.

zimmer62 wrote:

I like to propose another section...  Pictures of bad prints, and why they might be bad, what can be done about them.

squishing
missing Steps
detachment from the bed.
dragging head through prints
bad slicing
z-axis wiggle
clogged nozzle
moist filament
Y axis skipping
X axis skipping
Z axis skipping
parts that break too easily
Unlevel bed

and any others where pictures can say a 1000 words.  A picture can really say so much, and identifying problems can be much easier with a picture of a less than perfect part.

just having a dictionary of how to refer to things would really help both novice and professional.

being able to correctly identify terms and parts like extrusion, exturder, filament, bed, z-axis screw, homing switch, nozzle, barrel, etc etc..

Signed in and even made an addition to that page. smile

Feeling very happy that the user base continues to amaze me with building a community...

danny wrote:

Feeling very happy that the user base continues to amaze me with building a community...

I think I can already tell which one is your contribution, but if I'm wrong in my assumption I apologize.  Just be aware that if you want Solidoodle to contribute to the wiki or link to it on their webpage it's probably not a good idea to publicly berate them about lead times and support.  I understand you have a bad taste in your mouth from it, but if I was a potential buyer researching what to get and read the wiki entry about lead times and responses and support issues I'd steer clear.  If Solidoodle the company faulters, all the existing users and this community will suffer for it, therefore you're messing with my investment.  I know on the wiki itself you were mild, but linking the the official bash solidoodle thread isn't very helpful.  I'm not proposing you hide these issues, and I'm glad to see support engaging directly finally, but I would suggest that linking back to the forum and letting future customers find the threads on their own instead of linking to the worst side of the coin.  I still maintain that this machine is nothing short of remarkable for the price, and if I had to wait a year to get it I would still be thrilled when I got it.  Communication thus far has been horrible, and lead times need to improve along with transparency, but let's encourage people to join us in the purchase and help our community grow and be successful rather than work against ourselves.

Brad wrote:

I thought it would be bennefitcial to get a wiki going that was totally public to begin with, so I present to you.. SoliWiki!

http://www.soliwiki.com/

Feel free to register and start adding whatever tidbits of knowledge you would like to share.

First thing is first.. we need a proper looking homepage smile

If you require more permissions to edit certain things, PM me and they will be given to you. I wasn't really a fan of the software the official solidoodle wiki is using, so I choose something more mainstream... mediawiki.

Thanks everyone for your support!

Brad

I'm glad to see more Solidoodle community websites jumping up. The official Solidoodle Wiki site should open up on Friday.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.

cmetzel wrote:
danny wrote:

I think I can already tell which one is your contribution, but if I'm wrong in my assumption I apologize.  Just be aware that if you want Solidoodle to contribute to the wiki or link to it on their webpage it's probably not a good idea to publicly berate them about lead times and support.  I understand you have a bad taste in your mouth from it, but if I was a potential buyer researching what to get and read the wiki entry about lead times and responses and support issues I'd steer clear.  If Solidoodle the company faulters, all the existing users and this community will suffer for it, therefore you're messing with my investment.  I know on the wiki itself you were mild, but linking the the official bash solidoodle thread isn't very helpful.  I'm not proposing you hide these issues, and I'm glad to see support engaging directly finally, but I would suggest that linking back to the forum and letting future customers find the threads on their own instead of linking to the worst side of the coin.  I still maintain that this machine is nothing short of remarkable for the price, and if I had to wait a year to get it I would still be thrilled when I got it.  Communication thus far has been horrible, and lead times need to improve along with transparency, but let's encourage people to join us in the purchase and help our community grow and be successful rather than work against ourselves.

We appreciate your support.

We want to keep the wiki positive. If theres a better way of saying things to convey your point across in a positive light, it is much appreciated.

That's not to say we will remove or change anything and everything that projects solidoodle negatively, thats not what the community stands for, but the wiki is for facts and information, not opinion. Opinion can be voiced openly here in the forums smile

I think Danny might be falsely accused. You can look at the history for each page to see what a user has added.

I don't think Danny added anything negative.

Brad wrote:

No.

I started looking at the second extruder section.

the long and the short of that question is, with heated bed models.
make your choice, either have a second extruder, or a heated bed.

with non heated bed models. - I don't see any development work happening really.

regards the lead times.
I commented before. I think that the wiki is the wrong place for that discussion. there's already a huge thread on here that's updated daily. the wiki will not be updated daily, it's technically nothing to do with the machine...

anyway.. the whole reason I came back to this thread at all:
http://www.soliforum.com/post/2427/#p2427

Solidoodle are opening their own wiki tomorrow.
will this one remain open?

danny wrote:
Brad wrote:

No.

I started looking at the second extruder section.

the long and the short of that question is, with heated bed models.
make your choice, either have a second extruder, or a heated bed.

with non heated bed models. - I don't see any development work happening really.

regards the lead times.
I commented before. I think that the wiki is the wrong place for that discussion. there's already a huge thread on here that's updated daily. the wiki will not be updated daily, it's technically nothing to do with the machine...

anyway.. the whole reason I came back to this thread at all:
http://www.soliforum.com/post/2427/#p2427

Solidoodle are opening their own wiki tomorrow.
will this one remain open?

I imagine it will- nothing wrong with two wikis. Our wiki is in a slightly more complete state than this one, but not by very far. We are still developing policies for it, and a small suite of tutorials has been created. This will give some bones for the community to work off of.

Yes Danny, the Community Wiki will remain open. It is independent of the official solidoodle one.

Brad wrote:

Yes Danny, the Community Wiki will remain open. It is independent of the official solidoodle one.

I should also add, that we are completely fine with community members using the information from the official wiki.