1 (edited by Dispensergoeshere 2018-05-05 23:11:35)

Topic: DaVinci 1.0a extruder not heating, lcd screen blank

It broke about a year ago. It's been sitting dead for long enough that now it feels like it's a lost cause anyway, so I feel like I might as well try tinkering with it a little bit more and see what I can do.

The components failed at the same time, which leads me to believe it is an underlying issue rather than just a failed extruder or screen.

It's a davinci 1.0a

It was flashed with repetier 0.92.

The extruder will not heat up anymore.

The LCD screen is blank. I verified that the wires are all tightly in place and not damaged from what i can see.

The buttons still make beeping sounds when they are pressed.

The bed still heats up.

At the time when I was still attempting to work with it, it displayed all the temperature information through octoprint and was fully controllable other than the extruder not heating up.

I'm looking for the cheapest way to try to get this thing running again. Any ideas where to start?

Re: DaVinci 1.0a extruder not heating, lcd screen blank

Dispensergoeshere wrote:

It broke about a year ago. It's been sitting dead for long enough that now it feels like it's a lost cause anyway, so I feel like I might as well try tinkering with it a little bit more and see what I can do.

The components failed at the same time, which leads me to believe it is an underlying issue rather than just a failed extruder or screen.

It's a davinci 1.0a

It was flashed with repetier 0.92.

The extruder will not heat up anymore.

The LCD screen is blank. I verified that the wires are all tightly in place and not damaged from what i can see.

The buttons still make beeping sounds when they are pressed.

The bed still heats up.

At the time when I was still attempting to work with it, it displayed all the temperature information through octoprint and was fully controllable other than the extruder not heating up.

I'm looking for the cheapest way to try to get this thing running again. Any ideas where to start?

Either you or previous owner used the brass brush on the nozzle while a heating cycle was active. This resulted in short that blew the fusing resistors on the 12 volt buss on the main board. Post an image of your main board and we can point it or them out to you.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

3 (edited by Dispensergoeshere 2018-05-06 00:14:42)

I did use the wire brush many times while it was heating, I was under the impression that is when you were supposed to use it?

Here is the board. If you need better pictures, i can get them.

Post's attachments

31949917_1676394049076331_3355596865339916288_n.jpg
31949917_1676394049076331_3355596865339916288_n.jpg 632.09 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

31954327_1676394099076326_1442762063997829120_n.jpg 741.81 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

31958111_1676394125742990_107183563161468928_n.jpg 644.67 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

You should use the brush once during cool down while no power is applied to the hotend but it is still hot. In most cases you will find the resistors that I have outlined will be open. They are normally very low resistance, almost a short, But now should measure rather high.

If you have a multi meter or can get one you need to take a resistance measurement across each of these with no power applied to the board. If they measure high then they will need to be replaced. Which I am guessing it beyond your skill  set in which case the board is toast and will need to replaced with same or different which is even more tedious.

If they still measure low then there is another issue and there is a short somewhere in your measure that is shorting 12volts to ground.

http://soliforum.com/i/?H8564CD.jpg

Replacing resistors is something I would not know how to do, no.

Would replacing the motherboard be much more difficult than just getting a new one and routing each cable into it? I will test those resistors when I am able to.

Dispensergoeshere wrote:

Replacing resistors is something I would not know how to do, no.

Would replacing the motherboard be much more difficult than just getting a new one and routing each cable into it? I will test those resistors when I am able to.

If you where able to get the same board which is unlikely unless you can buy it from someone who is parting theirs out then yes it is easy. just mount it and reconnect the cables. Good luck though as XYZ will not sell a board. If you replace it with a RAMPS or other controller then you would have to trace each wire to figure out it's purpose and then know where to connect said wire s to the Ramps or other based on the wires purpose and a wiring diagram.

I've tried dealing with xyz printing yeah, they just want me to send them my old board just to be able to purchase a new one. And since I'm running repetier, that's a no-no.

I was hoping another ramps controller would work, and i would be willing to take the time needed to figure out what is what but i do not inherently know how to or have a diagram to show me what is what on the davinci. Is there one available?

I have never replaced a resistor, but a quick google leads me to believe it is not that hard even for a beginner. Looks like it is just basic soldering? I do not know what type of resistor i would need to replace it with though.

Dispensergoeshere wrote:

I've tried dealing with xyz printing yeah, they just want me to send them my old board just to be able to purchase a new one. And since I'm running repetier, that's a no-no.

I was hoping another ramps controller would work, and i would be willing to take the time needed to figure out what is what but i do not inherently know how to or have a diagram to show me what is what on the davinci. Is there one available?

I have never replaced a resistor, but a quick google leads me to believe it is not that hard even for a beginner. Looks like it is just basic soldering? I do not know what type of resistor i would need to replace it with though.

There are wiring guides for the RAMPS. It's just a matter of fining the wires in the Da Vinci to connect to the RAMPS. There are some guides here on doing it. As for the resistors they are zero ohm surface mount.

9 (edited by Dispensergoeshere 2018-07-19 00:42:03)

Sorry to bump an old thread, but i figure its easier for everyone if i just post an update here..

So I tested the 3 resistors in the picture finally, all of them give me a reading of 0 or almost 0 on the 20k ohm setting of my multimeter. I am assuming that means they are not the culprits.

are there any other components/connections i can test or try to replace myself that might be responsible? I don't really know what i'm looking for while troubleshooting. And i am close to taking it to a repair shop but really would like to try doing it myself if i can.

take the readings again with your meter set to OHms

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

As Carl mentioned earlier unless someone here has a board they are discarding do to there own upgrade  your best bet is to do a ramps conversion.
There are several tutorials on this forum and plenty of info on ramps board on line.

Soliddoodle 4 stock w glass bed------Folger Tech Prusa 2020 upgraded to and titan /aero extruder mirror bed
FT5 with titan/ E3D Aero------MP mini select w glass bed
MP Utimate maker pro-W bondtech extruder
Marlin/Repetier Host/ Slic3r and Cura

12 (edited by Tmulholl 2022-02-06 16:22:09)

I suspect I have caused my printer to burn out those resisters.  I have measured resistance of my heater at around 4 ohms so that is good.  I have disconnected the heater connection by the extruder at power on at around 10 volts but it drops quickly to zero so I suspect the resisters to be bad.  Could these actually be small amperage fuses and if so, does anyone know how much the fuse is rated for.  I have not yet pulled the board to check them but this happened right after I had used the brush.

Tmulholl wrote:

I suspect I have caused my printer to burn out those resisters.  I have measured resistance of my heater at around 4 ohms so that is good.  I have disconnected the heater connection by the extruder at power on at around 10 volts but it drops quickly to zero so I suspect the resisters to be bad.  Could these actually be small amperage fuses and if so, does anyone know how much the fuse is rated for.  I have not yet pulled the board to check them but this happened right after I had used the brush.

They are zero ohm resistors. Not fuses but used as fuses. You can get them on Mouser.com. You just need the correct physical size.

Hi Carl, Do you know what resisters cover the DRM - for filament info and nozzle serial? As my Super has blown the fuses but which one I dont know lol

myknittinguk wrote:

Hi Carl, Do you know what resisters cover the DRM - for filament info and nozzle serial? As my Super has blown the fuses but which one I dont know lol

They should be near the connection for the EEPROM contact harness. If you post an good image of the board I can maybe help find them.

16 (edited by myknittinguk 2022-02-12 13:56:10)

Hi mate, here is the board.

http://soliforum.com/i/?Gz1g34D.jpg

Hope this helps, this machine is just a paper weight and XYZ RMA won't assist as it's just over the 2 years.

myknittinguk wrote:

Hi mate, here is the board.

http://soliforum.com/i/?Gz1g34D.jpg

Hope this helps, this machine is just a paper weight and XYZ RMA won't assist as it's just over the 2 years.

Can you get one closer so all the text can be read? Maybe two doing half in each pic.

carl_m1968 wrote:
Tmulholl wrote:

They are zero ohm resistors. Not fuses but used as fuses. You can get them on Mouser.com. You just need the correct physical size.

All fixed.  It turns out that when the temperature down to 10 degrees C that the circuitry probably  assumed a bad sensor so no power was applied.  I brought it upstairs to work on it and all of a sudden, I was getting a heater to operate.  Thanks for the help.