Topic: New message on solidoodle website

"Attention Customers: Ordering is currently disabled on the site. We'll be providing more information over the next few days. We appreciate your patience during that time."

http://www.solidoodle.com

Probably gathering documents together for a bankruptcy announcement.

Re: New message on solidoodle website

its about time

Sd4 #9080 with a glass bed. E3d chimera duel extruder. Paste extruder , duet wifi.
Lawsy carriages. linear bearings. Y axis direct drive, Kinect scanner
SD4#8188 glass bed, lawsly carriages, E3d v6, octoprint http://www.ustream.tv/channel/hotrod96z28
Filastruder/filawinder, Custom Delta 300mm x 600mm

They also password protected the blog, interesting. I guess that's where their announcement will go.

sounds a bit permanent

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Guess we'll be getting an update any day now. I suppose this is it, the final notice.

This update will likely follow the same schedule as their printer delivery... so if they said in a few days, look for it in a few more months!

SD4 w/ RUMBA, E3D Volcano, all bearings, glass bed

mdrVB6 wrote:

This update will likely follow the same schedule as their printer delivery... so if they said in a few days, look for it in a few more months!

LOL aint that the truth.

Still no update. Speculation why?

Personally, if their finances are so bad they can't keep their website and help desk up, then things are bad. These are relatively low cost items that they can't generate revenue without.

Solidoodle 4-Mostly stock running off headless Raspberry Pi with Octoprint

yep another victum of the China symdrom

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:

Chinese people came and screwed up Solidoodle's business somehow?

justsomeguy wrote:
n2ri wrote:

Chinese people came and screwed up Solidoodle's business somehow?

Yeah, I was gonna say something lol. Solidoodle's demise is likely a manifestation of a multitude of problems, lots that we will likely never hear about. I can take a guess at a few though, notably: Lack of consistent quality control, lack of quality customer service, and a lack of sales in their later years of the business as an effect of the two prior issues.

12 (edited by pirvan 2016-03-05 16:53:06)

Their biggest problem which led to their eventual failure was their inability to deliver the product in a timely manner.

It has nothing to do with China.  China manufacturing can be a a great asset if you know how to plan ahead and do it right.  Solidoodle over-promised and overextended, and failed to deliver.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

It would have happened with a US manufacturer.  They changed to an injection molded printer, and used pre-orders to fund tooling.  There were design problems they didn't spot, or knew about but didn't have money or time to revise the tooling.  Once they used pre-orders to fund development, their R&D time was order lead time, which meant they had to get the Press out as quickly as possible rather than when it was ready.  They got stuck without cashflow because of the long delay in shipping, which was caused not by the Chinese, but by the longshoremen in San Pedro going on strike.  Then because of all of the customer pressure they shipped the printers straight from the port in CA, without bringing them to Brooklyn for QA.

They didn't go under because they outsourced to China, they failed because they ran the company like a Kickstarter project.  It was just like those printer Kickstarters that want to go from making printers in their garage to mass production without prior experience.   Solidoodle wasn't run from a garage, but it wasn't a proper factory either.  Just as they did R&D on the Press while customers waited, they built that factory on SD2 pre-orders while customers waited.  Like the Press, it was a rush job and then they were stuck with it. 

It was a far cry from something like Lulzbot's factory.  Lulzbot is so dedicated to open source, you can download PDFs of their factory layout and assembly manuals.  They were even featured on an episode of "How It's Made".

China was just where that production line was when Sam chose to use them to make and release a 3rd new model at same time as 2 other new models made in the NY shop. and everything about the China production was just 1 HUGE screw up after another from Tool & Die work all the way to shipping and delivery. yeah right nothing to do with China LMAO!

If by China, you mean "mass manufacturing" since that is where it happens, then yeah.  The same thing would have happened in India, Mexico, or Ohio.  Maybe without the shipping delay, but then the Press would have been an on-time disaster rather than a late one.

the whole fiasco can be read about in Sams letters he posted months after each issue. and NO a US manufacturer would not have had all the same issues because in the USA when you pay to have molds etc made, you own the molds NOT in China.
when tool & die need corrected you dont have to fly half way around the world to oversee the job. and you dont have to rely on world wide shipping (on real Ships) for product delivery nor union strikes at the Ports that unload those ships, then the USA manufacturer is bond by laws not to use the equipment you bought and paid for to clone your product and sell it for less themselves (since they invested zero dollars to do so). but that has been the case with doing business in China since the late 1960s with companies from the US hiring them to manufacture products for them. I know this first hand from products I have bought long ago and can give names of the US companies and the invented names China gave the cloned items. I also have 1st hand experience of the very poor quality materials and workmanship in those products compared to the ones made in the US they cloned. including building materials for construction and Medical supplies etc.

wasted thousands of hours labor and too many dollars to count due to it. also seen dozens of company's dry up shortly after going to countries like that trying to save a buck. I also know how & why this continues and nothing will ever be done to stop it as long as companies let Greed make their business choices. every one of the "foreign trade agreements" any US President has done has backfired in our face and only limited us from selling our products, never the other way around. because the USA is way to busy trying to be "politically correct" and bending over backwards for all but our own people. like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

so yes Sam as CEO/owner of Solidoodle did make some mistakes and the biggest was thinking he knew enough about "Big Corporate" dealing and international trade. Solidoodle was no where near ready for that step until they got their own house in order 1st which never happened. this is the difference between whats known as small bisiness and big. if you screw up over 10% of the time and your bottom line dont plumet nor effect anyone elses business then your 'small' but if your big and you screw up say 3% of the time and your stocks drop, board members place an add for a new senior management position, support businesses fail, etc.

this also explains the difference between residential repairmen and Commercial/industrial. I had an CFO ask me once when I was Facility engineer for a multi site clinic. "why do you have to watch the contractor work on our Air Conditioning equipment? I dont do that when they come to fix mine at home"
I said "if your guy screws up something and burns your house down does it put 600 families out of income? does it cause 10,000 patients to seek medical help elsewhere? does it cost you 10 million dollars and 4 years to rebuild your home...?

he never bothered me about it again ;^) 3 months later I got to show him how that earns my salary when I saw a repairman do something wrong that caused that site to be without heat 4 days and he got to send that contractors insurance company a bill for $40,000 for lost Revenue.

try that In China, Mexico etc. thats what being Bonded and Insured means in the USA. bet not many attorneys for it in those countries either since the laws dont exist.

17 (edited by n2ri 2016-03-07 04:55:08)

its getting near impossible to buy American/good quality products so I guess most people never heard the expresion "which is cheaper? doing it right the 1st time or doing it over many times?"
our country has been having a industrial war with others that we barrow money from then they sell poor products to us and we list them hundreds per day on our Recall list. I had to cancel most of my emails from that list due to overloading my inbox daily and 98% of the products from GUESS WHO? I say both parties are at fault, but My wife is the only one I know that thinks blame fixes a problem.

18 (edited by pirvan 2016-03-07 02:46:41)

Seriously.... http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/happy/rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

I first started writing this lengthy rebuttal, but then I realized how silly this thing really is.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

pirvan wrote:

Seriously.... http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/happy/rolling-on-the-floor-laughing-smiley-emoticon.gif

I first started writing this lengthy rebuttal, but then I realized how silly this things really is.

On second thought, let's not go to Camelot...'tis a silly place.

To me the issue is that they bet everything on the press.
The press appears to have failed because they went straight from conception to design to production without any design testing and validation and then (as should have happened) redesign or design refinement.  With the press, the issue is more poor design than it is poorly manufactured and this is nothing to do with China.
I admit that there were also manufacturing issues (loose screws, missing screws, poorly calibrated), but these can all be fixed.  The crappy design, especially with the way this has been designed, cannot be fixed without MAJOR modification.
Issues such as having such a long build platform supported by a very short linear bearing (compared to the length of the platform) as well as not having any way to level the build platform.  And before people try to tell me that the build platform doesn't need to be level because it automatically detects the platform angle, a big issue is the head dragging over the surface leaving an ugly finish and causing all sorts of other issues.

Anyway, I guess it'll all be over soon and I'm stuck with a very noisy filament tangling device.

android78 wrote:

To me the issue is that they bet everything on the press.
The press appears to have failed because they went straight from conception to design to production without any design testing and validation and then (as should have happened) redesign or design refinement.  With the press, the issue is more poor design than it is poorly manufactured and this is nothing to do with China.
I admit that there were also manufacturing issues (loose screws, missing screws, poorly calibrated), but these can all be fixed.  The crappy design, especially with the way this has been designed, cannot be fixed without MAJOR modification.
Issues such as having such a long build platform supported by a very short linear bearing (compared to the length of the platform) as well as not having any way to level the build platform.  And before people try to tell me that the build platform doesn't need to be level because it automatically detects the platform angle, a big issue is the head dragging over the surface leaving an ugly finish and causing all sorts of other issues.

Anyway, I guess it'll all be over soon and I'm stuck with a very noisy filament tangling device.

DAE waterfall development sux?!?!

Totally agree. Apple products are built in china as well, and say what you want about the price - but they're fairly robust and put up with a lot of torture thanks to their great team of engineers in cupertino. China isn't the factor, it's the team behind the design.

I like how it's been over a week since I started this thread and no news from solidoodle. Oh, typical solidoodle. tongue

n2ri, just a quick rebuttal and I admit I didn't read your entire post.  I personally oversee the purchasing of metal stamping tools from China all the time and I can assure you that we own the tools, and the engineering and designs.  If you work at it, you can actually find / develop good shops there and expect a high level of quality from them.  Don't believe everything you read.  I don't want to wade into the big debate here just wanted to counter that specific point from first hand knowledge.

I think it comes down to two things, and they are related.

1. Unable to deliver machines in a timely manner. You can talk about the Port Strike all you like, but this was a problem before and since.

2. Poor customer service. Over and over again. Unable to get ahold of anyone. Deliberately not publishing a phone number to call. Not returning customer service e-mails until the 3rd or 4th try. Customer service tickets being ignored. I could go on and on with specific examples, but it is the pattern of behavior that is the problem.

P.S.-All of this is compounded by an incredible increase in competition in this space. Just look at how badly 3D Systems and Makerbot got hammered. Solidoodle never had the deep pockets to with stand that. It is still hard to answer the question "Why do I need one?"

Solidoodle 4-Mostly stock running off headless Raspberry Pi with Octoprint

So I guess I'm glad I started converting my workbench to a new controller.  Time to draw the rest of the parts.

Of course I know what I'm doing.  I googled it.

mdrVB6 wrote:

Going on 2 weeks since the message appeard, and it seems mdrVB6 called it

Printit Mason and Printit Horizon printers
Multiple SD2s- Bulldog XL, E3D v5/v6/Lite6, Volcano, Hobb Goblin, Titan, .9 motor, Lawsy carriages, direct Y drive, fishing line...the list goes on
Filawinder and Filastruder #1870.....worth every penny!