Topic: Fabric around extruder

When I was printing the other night, I left the room and came back about an hour later to find the plastic had melted to the extruder and formed around it. I carefully pulled it off and cut around to free the extruder, the only problem being that when I got it off the fabric material with the rubber-like tape around it was attached to the melted plastic and came off as well. I was wondering if this was something important that protected the extruder or am I safe to use it without. I attached a photo of what happened too if that helps. Thanks.

Post's attachments

2013-01-09_22-31-32_549.jpg
2013-01-09_22-31-32_549.jpg 1.08 mb, 2 downloads since 2013-01-10 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

Re: Fabric around extruder

Yeah, you want that as insulation over the thermistor. Someone else might be able to tell you if it's really "absolutely necessary" though.

That is a really puzzling picture though. How did that get melted like that..?

I was going to say the same thing,  how did this even happen.  I can't even imagine a scenario that would make the extruded plastic end up inside that sleeve.

Sleeve fell down, plastic stopped sticking to the table and just accumulated as a ball, but since it couldn't escape the sleeve it just kept expanding inside.

cmetzel's right, that's what happened unfortunately