1 (edited by n2ri 2016-02-16 07:57:48)

Topic: Slic3r converting stl to SVG no luck

I was told by the guy making the new Ibox Nano resin type 3D printer that it uses SVG and slic3r can make that file from stl. I have seen where that feature is in Slic3r but cant get it done without errors canceling process. I even saved a vertical version of model and also a Gcode (cant convert them though). still no luck. is it something to do with my printer settings being just for my SD2? if so how would I make a separate setup for the ibox Nano without messing up use of Slic3r with my SD2? also I dont have a Nano yet and its supposed to run independent wireless off the built in Pi from any wireless device with a simple app to load and print.

maybe some Form-1 or other resin printer users here can tell me what Im doing/not-doing wrong. I want to test all needed aspects b4 buying a pig in a poke. I already learned they way over charge for small vials of resin like 10x. plus the kickstarter ended scenario like most which makes buying after near impossible besides months delayed delivery.

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

Re: Slic3r converting stl to SVG no luck

so anybody done this? slic3r/RH has no place to configure an SLA type printer and "filament" as Slic3r error calls it when trying to convert an STL to SVG

Solidoodle 2 with Deluxe kit cover & glass bed with heater. and 2nd board SD2 used not 3rd and alum platform not installed yet still wood. also need cooling fan installed to board. use Repetier Host couple vers. Slic3r also have all free ware STL programs

n2ri wrote:

I was told by the guy making the new Ibox Nano resin type 3D printer that it uses SVG and slic3r can make that file from stl. I have seen where that feature is in Slic3r but cant get it done without errors canceling process. I even saved a vertical version of model and also a Gcode (cant convert them though). still no luck. is it something to do with my printer settings being just for my SD2? if so how would I make a separate setup for the ibox Nano without messing up use of Slic3r with my SD2? also I dont have a Nano yet and its supposed to run independent wireless off the built in Pi from any wireless device with a simple app to load and print.

maybe some Form-1 or other resin printer users here can tell me what Im doing/not-doing wrong. I want to test all needed aspects b4 buying a pig in a poke. I already learned they way over charge for small vials of resin like 10x. plus the kickstarter ended scenario like most which makes buying after near impossible besides months delayed delivery.

Most likely related to large file issue. Whatever is causing your crashes with large files is also causing your error when doing this as well....

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

it says something about cant read data where "filament type" is. there is no place for resin filament nor SLA type printer so how can it convert STL to SVG? also that warning 'in slic3r' states Skeign' as if its looking it skeign forge or something. it pops up error soon as clicked not after several mins like memory issue

has anyone done this conversion successfully?

which type STL does it convert? maybe most are wrong type, I can export as either type in Netfab

You can make models in Tinkercad and it can export directly to SVG or STL.

Printing since 2009 and still love it!
Anycubic 4MAX best $225 ever invested.
Voxelabs Proxima SLA. 6 inch 2k Mono LCD.
Anycubic Predator, massive Delta machine. 450 x 370 print envelope.

n2ri wrote:

has anyone done this conversion successfully?

I just tried it...seems to work OK with simple procedure described in the Slic3r manual:

http://manual.slic3r.org/advanced/svg-output

You do have to run Slic3r on its own and not from RH...

SD2 - Stock - Enclosure - Heated Bed - Glass Plate - Auto Fire Extinguisher
Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate
Thanks for All of Your Help!

AH thats my issue. I was trying it in RH. Thanks!

I may just try to snag an ibox nano b4 they are gone so I can turn out better looking N scale vehicles

11 (edited by pirvan 2016-02-16 20:08:21)

so anybody done this? slic3r/RH has no place to configure an SLA type printer and "filament" as Slic3r error calls it when trying to convert an STL to SVG

Correct me if I'm wrong (and I'm pretty sure I'm not), but SVG is a 2D vector format, more on the lines of Adobe Illustrator .AI or EPS.  What good is this for a 3D format like STL.

The SVG output the Slic3r outputs is not of the 3D model, rather it's the slice, a vector interpretation of the Gcode.

Slicing a STL in Slic3r, will produce a code intended to be printed on an FDM printer, no mater what format you output it to, GCode or SVG.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

The SVG output from Slic3r is indeed a 2d vector format, but contains all of the slices, not just one.  You can view a sliced SVG here:

http://garyhodgson.github.io/slic3rsvgviewer

Ord Bot Hadron - RAMPS 1.4 - Bulldog XL - E3D v6 - 10" x 10" PCB Heated Build w/SSR - Glass Plate

13 (edited by pirvan 2016-02-16 20:42:24)

I understand, but it's still the GCode, not the STL. 

n2ri however, is on the wrong path.  He's hoping to somehow convert STL files to SVG, so he can print them on the iBox Nano resin printer.

The SVG output by Slic3r is the GCode equivalent of a slice designed for a FDM printer, not an SLA printer.  SO if you were to input that to a SLA printer, who knows what you'd get, if you'd get anything at all.

To print or, 3D print, that is the question...
SD3 printer w/too many mods,  Printrbot Simple Maker Ed.,  FormLabs Form 1+
AnyCubic Photon, Shining 3D EinScan-S & Atlas 3D scanners...
...and too much time on my hands.

I gathered that Slic3r slices the layers in vector format (graphic layers)...you still need a specialized program to run it which will control the DLP printer (I have never used a resin printer, so no expert am I):

http://garyhodgson.com/reprap/projectlayer/

the ibox nano is a mini version of like Form labs and the maker said this is what it uses.

also I did do a couple conversions successfully (same STL but converted at 2 dif layer thicknesses using dif print setting profiles I made based on ibox nano specs) the one with .002mm layer made an SVG that  is 41,232kb in size so much for memory being my issues as I done it on same T61 laptop. the original STL was only 1,717kb. then the other converted file was done using .05mm layers and it made an SVG file 1,636kb in size. can you imagine how much longer build time will be on the micro thin layer object LOL? the ibox nano has resolution on 'Z' of 0.00192mm or 1.92 microns much lower than form labs

16 (edited by n2ri 2016-02-16 22:32:01)

IronMan wrote:

The SVG output from Slic3r is indeed a 2d vector format, but contains all of the slices, not just one.  You can view a sliced SVG here:

http://garyhodgson.github.io/slic3rsvgviewer

THANKS a ton for this link Ironman. both files look perfect in that viewer, just lots more layers for details in the thin one. heck who knows how tiny of details I can get now with no noticable lines of support for almost all my tiny items. better than cast items no wasted time material on support/cleanup post printing. I am excited to try this now.