Topic: extruder drive rocking back and forth

I have calibrated the trim pots and the grub screw is super tight on. I am still having problems with the extruder drive. I'm getting knocking problems with ABS and now its making the drive go back and forth.

Any ideas ?

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

Re: extruder drive rocking back and forth

That kind of sounds like what another forum member posted about.  You may want to read this thread to see if it applies to you.  He explains his solution at post #20, but here is the short version. 

CAUSE:  The wiring bundle going to the extruder gets frayed and breaks,
FIX:  Resolder the connectors on the connector on the top of the extruder stepper

SD Press
Modeling software: 123D Design

I get the thumping extruder too. This morning I saw the threads about the cable so I tested mine. It passes my continuity test. I tightened the grub screw on the extruder but it still happens. I'm hesitant to solder directly to the motor. Replacing the connector or cable seems a lot more maintainable (though I have no idea where to find a suitable connecter).

4 (edited by scruffybob 2015-02-08 19:35:20)

You're not soldering directly to the extruder, you're just soldering the wires onto the pins of the wires going into the connector that goes to the top of the extruder.

Several of us have seen the wires on that connector come loose and this seemed to fix the problem for each of us.    Here is a link to the connector where the wires break loose:

http://www.soliforum.com/misc.php?actio … mp;preview

For me, it was not at all obvious this was the problem.   The wire was making intermittent contact, so sometimes it looked like it was okay, but when flexed, it never made the connection.    I just pulled the pins out of the connector and restripped the wires and soldered them to the pins then pushed the pins back into the connector.   I haven't seen this problem recur since I did that.

You should re-adjust the trimpots after resoldering the connection.   I found mine were way out of whack once the power pin was reconnected.

Ah, resoldering the pins on the connectors makes sense (though of course it shouldn't be something we need to do in the first place). I thought you'd soldered directly to the pins coming out of the motor.

I've had luck with increasing temperature back up to 245ºC. I accidentally tried to extrude when the temperature was below 200ºC and all I got was the thunking noise. So temperature has made a difference for me, though it hasn't completely fixed it. Maybe we have different problems, though mine sounded exactly the same as a video someone linked in a thread about this problem.

Defiantly the connector as I ran prints for real and dry runs both  with same effect.

Tried resoldering the connectors and ping! It flies of somewhere so now I have the joy of splicing on a new connector.

I really believe that all that q/c we were told they were doing was a croc of shit to stall for time. No electronics hardware company releases a product without doing extensive testing.

Also who else has stopped counting the times the spool has fallen off the machine cause of the bad design of the hood

SD2 - mirror bed - e3d v6 - extruder cooling fan - no enclosure.

proctor_richard wrote:

Defiantly the connector as I ran prints for real and dry runs both  with same effect.

Tried resoldering the connectors and ping! It flies of somewhere so now I have the joy of splicing on a new connector.

I really believe that all that q/c we were told they were doing was a croc of shit to stall for time. No electronics hardware company releases a product without doing extensive testing.

Also who else has stopped counting the times the spool has fallen off the machine cause of the bad design of the hood

Do post a picture of the soldered connector, I have a similar problem.

abhaypawar wrote:
proctor_richard wrote:

Do post a picture of the soldered connector, I have a similar problem.

I have tightened the Grub Screw on the Extruder and also checked for connectivity using a multimeter, the connectivity is fine and the screw tight on the shaft, yet the problem exists, kindly advice.