Topic: August 17th Solidoodle Shipping Update

Solidoodle wrote:

Greetings Solidoodle customers. We are communicating with you today to let you know about the status of Solidoodle, and the status of your orders. We have received a great many inquiries, and we want to give you an update on the current information. Solidoodle is expanding by leaps and bounds, and things are moving fast. In the space of three months we have added over 25 employees, and have implemented a full assembly line.
Because of recent delays, many of you are curious about shipping times. We know that shipping times are improving daily, and our backlog is decreasing. That said, some of you have a significant wait ahead of you. While we strive to give accurate estimates, please understand that we are growing and changing, and making estimates is still a risky business. That said, we would like to give some rough estimates.

April Orders:
Nearly all April orders have been shipped. If your order is in April, then it will most likely ship this week or next week. This may seem a little extreme, but customers must understand that the bulk of orders were made in late April and early May. After this time, orders will move much faster.
May Orders:
Some may orders have shipped. May shipping should begin in earnest next week. We estimate it will take at least 2 ½ weeks to fully clear May orders.
June Orders:
June orders should be be shipping about 3 weeks from now. It should take about two weeks to clear June orders. This means you have between 3-6 weeks wait ahead of you.
July Orders:
July orders should begin about a month from now. It is likely that they may begin earlier than that. As June and July orders are far more sparse than April and May orders, it is possible that this may be faster than we state right now.
August orders:
We anticipate those who ordered in August have at least 8-10 weeks wait time.

Please note that these are only estimates. They are subject to change. There have been some requests for “hard dates.” We are absolutely sure that dates will change a bit over the coming weeks, and requests for hard dates are hard to fill. We can give you a pessimistic estimate, but this is about all.

We would like to address a few more common questions being asked by our customers:

Can I guess at my place in line with my order ID?

Unfortunately the order ID does not contain any useful information toward your place in line. The order numbers do not correlate to serial numbers since we have many orders for accessories and consumables in between printer orders. Support is happy to give you an estimate of your wait time at any time.
Is it possible to expedite orders? I may have a work emergency
Orders are expedited on a case by case basis. In general we try not to ever expedite orders,
but we understand that some of our customers bought the Solidoodle in anticipation of a big project. If you send us an e-mail detailing why the printer is giving you trouble at work, you will be considered for an expedite. Please understand that only a very small percentage of our customers can be expedited and then only in extreme circumstances. In general, the orders move in chronological order.

Are you a real company?
Yes - very much so! We’ve already shipped over 150 printers! There are now several community websites for users who already have their Solidoodles. Solidoodle related information can be found at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/solidoodle
www.soliforum.com
http://solidoodletips.wordpress.com/
We now have over 30 employees and you can see photos of our factory on our blog and facebook page. So you can see, there are already many users who are enjoying their Solidoodle.
I’ve just ordered. Is my wait time going to increase?
Most likely the answer is no. We are speeding up our process, and it should get better
each day.

There have not been enough updates. How can I get more information?
The quickest way to get Solidoodle information is through our blog. www.solidoodle.com/blog. This will give you quickest updates. All blog information is also copied to facebook. We’ll do our very best to provide regular updates in the future.

Have more questions? Feel free to contact [email protected] , contact us on skype at Solidoodle, or contact us via IRC at #solidoodle on freenode.

http://www.solidoodle.com/2012/08/shipping-update-2/

Re: August 17th Solidoodle Shipping Update

Congrats brad, They recognize this forum as one of the goto places. Great work!

following a discussion with the support tech, it seems (my own opinion..) that there are only one or two massive shipping per month..
why not one per weeks ? patience is a virtue..

I'm guessing that they don't have a single person for every step.  If something like building hot ends and extruders takes a lot longer than putting rods and pulleys into cases, then I could see them focusing on extruders for a few days until they have a big enough supply to feed steadily into the next step.  This would lead to # of printers shipped being really low some days, and higher other days, and big groups getting finished up all at once.

IanJohnson wrote:

I'm guessing that they don't have a single person for every step.  If something like building hot ends and extruders takes a lot longer than putting rods and pulleys into cases, then I could see them focusing on extruders for a few days until they have a big enough supply to feed steadily into the next step.  This would lead to # of printers shipped being really low some days, and higher other days, and big groups getting finished up all at once.

Actually,the number is quite consistent day to day, barring major hurdles. We actually have several employees for each step in the process, though each step does not correlate to one "part" in the most atomic sense.

Former Solidoodle employee, no longer associated with the company.