1 (edited by jmarsh4087 2015-02-04 03:04:51)

Topic: How to reseat the extruder spring?

I got a huge clog which worked itself all the way past the gear over into the left side of the housing and the only way to get it out was to remove the two hex screws past the thumb screws. Now I cannot see how it is humanly possible to reseat the spring. Has anyone done it before?

Post's attachments

20150203_204630_4450406.jpg
20150203_204630_4450406.jpg 246.1 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

20150203_205948_3286304.jpg
20150203_205948_3286304.jpg 189.31 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.
SD Press + Rostock Max v2 owner
Modeling with Rhino 3D

2 (edited by android78 2015-02-04 03:20:50)

Re: How to reseat the extruder spring?

With great difficulty.
I managed to do it by first making a slight divot in the plastic lever where that end of the spring sits, then you line up the other end with the slot it goes into (it runs vertically), with the piece of metal that holds it all together almost horizontal and twist the piece of metal anticlockwise.  To keep the end of the spring that sits in the metal from popping out, I used a flat end screwdriver.  You have to watch the bearing doesn't get stuck on the feeder wheel too or you'll have to start again.

Before putting it all together, I suggest making sure the worm in the extruder wheel is tightened well down... mine came from the factory very loose.  Also, watch the wires ont he left go through the right place. One of my heater wires came clamped between the two pieces of metal in that area from factory... it seems ok so far, but not really happy about that either.

BTW... I've pulled that apart 3 times so far for different reasons. Almost an expert at it now. big_smile

Post's attachments

reinstall.jpg
reinstall.jpg 230.19 kb, file has never been downloaded. 

You don't have the permssions to download the attachments of this post.

3 (edited by jmarsh4087 2015-02-04 03:56:26)

Wow... I commend you. I've been fighting it for about 2 hours. I think the divot will help because it's always popping out. What is the worm? The screw that would use locktite?

Modeling with Rhino 3D

4 (edited by android78 2015-02-04 03:29:22)

Regarding 'worm', I'm probably not using the correct term.  I mean the little hex screw that holds the extruder wheel on the motor shaft.  I don't think there is locktite on anything in this printer.
Once you have the divot for the plastic end of the spring, you can actually screw the screw that goes through the spring in a couple of turns, but you will still need to hold the end of the spring in the metal in place as you fidget to get the bearing past the extruder wheel.
Good luck!

Edit: It's called a Grub screw. :-D

I have it on, but I can't get the screws to thread correctly and I'm worried I'm going to strip the hex head. It's just sitting there with the spring seated but the screw is still a little wonky.

Modeling with Rhino 3D

http://www.soliforum.com/topic/9363/hel … eassembly/

jmarsh4087 wrote:

I have it on, but I can't get the screws to thread correctly and I'm worried I'm going to strip the hex head. It's just sitting there with the spring seated but the screw is still a little wonky.

Try and get the bottom screw in and then you can twist against that to get the top one done up.

8 (edited by jmarsh4087 2015-02-04 04:27:33)

I finally got it on. Not recommeded for anyone to take that off. I also have built my own delta printer from scratch and that was definitely the most tedious and terribly designed thing I've come across. Thanks for the help everyone.

Modeling with Rhino 3D

One of the other forum members posted a Youtube video showing how to reassemble it pretty easily.